Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your least favorite word or phrase?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Fanny Flutters
    Moist

Two words that are absolutely disgusting (According to my mrs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Neames wrote: »
    Moist.

Moist is a great word.

"The soft grass was moist with morning dew under her bare feet"

"The luxurious sponge in the Black Forest Gateaux was deliciously moist"

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ktsul

Lovely hurling

Moist is a great word.

"The soft grass was moist with morning dew under her bare feet"

"The luxurious sponge in the Black Forest Gateaux was deliciously moist"

I agree

Mine wasn't as eloquent as your good selfs description

"Are ye moist yet so i can lob it in"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I agree

Mine wasn't as eloquent as your good selfs description

"Are ye moist yet so i can lob it in"

wins thread.

(shudders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bespoke

Artisan.

I have been know to (hangs head in shame) utter the word 'doggo'.

Some of mine are:
    Mumma
    Hubs (vom)
    Hubby
    Any name given to a developing foetus; bubs, little bean, peanut, etc.
    This carryon in every sentence: Imho, imo, gtfo, oh, etc. Fùck off with your imo.
    'Dropped' when referring to an album release
    Himself
    Herself
    'Goals'
    Simples (vom)
    Covidiot
    Flattening the curve: Huh.
    Dog mother/cat mother or whatever the hell some people refer to themselves as when they own a pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Related to the above.. fur baby.

It's an animal, not your actual baby.

Related to the above.. fur baby.

It's an animal, not your actual baby.

I love animals and completely understand how important they are for people, how much they can give. They are still animals though. They aren't children.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I find “Karen” to be problematic. It’s a word that insinuates all middle aged women who stand up for themselves or demand decent customer service are shrill self-absorbed brats.

I’ve heard people snickering and calling me a “Karen” or mimic me asking to see a supervisor in Penney’s and it’s incredibly insulting! They don’t know what’s going on in my life!
    I can't stand the word 'problematic'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Not a particular word or phrase, but I don't like it when people feel compelled to replace a possessive pronoun with the definite article, lest anyone might think they're referring to someone whom they love.

See also: himself/herself, the boss, 'er indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Going forward

Oh, so we won't be travelling backwards in time then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

'You might as well get used to it'

No dipsh*t, you get used to my not getting used to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I find “Karen” to be problematic. It’s a word that insinuates all middle aged women who stand up for themselves or demand decent customer service are shrill self-absorbed brats.
    Middle aged women are most certainly not all Karens, but Karens where they exist are heavily skew towards being middle aged women. IIRC the male version is a "Ken" and again almost exclusively middle aged men. Both seem to suffer from the why aren't people listening to me any more!! syndrome. This is more in play with women I've found, particularly those who were used to getting attention when younger, but time hasn't been kind. And yeah shrill and self absorbed bellends tends to sum them both up pretty well. I just wish we had come up with a local Irish version rather than yet again importing an American meme.

I don't have any least favourite words TBH. Or at least can't think of any.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

"Reached out to".

A horrible, unnecessary, and stupid Americanism.

I grimace very time I read "we reached out to .........". What's wrong with just saying "we contacted"?

46D62AD2-147C-4FC3-AF22-D29156B70404.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

growleaves wrote: »
    'You might as well get used to it'

No dipsh*t, you get used to my not getting used to it.

By replacing one sh1te phrase with another. That'll show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

"Homeless Activist" , normally a clown wandering about wearing a high viz jacket .

Moist is just about as ugly a word as a word can be, but it has serious competition in the word gusset.

Gusset :(

Further vileness can be found in the words mucous, phelgm, and squelch.

I don't find the word cuppa revolting, but I do find myself rather likely to despise the people who use it. If someone says the words cuppa and tasty in the same sentence - e.g. "Doris, I had a very tasty sandwich with my cuppa" - that person will be forever dead to me.

Pamper, unless you're referring to a brand of nappies, is a word that no normal adult would/should ever use. There's just no excuse for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

deadly pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Award winning.

I've often seen it used about restaurants or one of their dishes with nothing to back it up. I'm often tempted to see this award.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    deadly pandemic.

See also worldwide pandemic, and similarly, ATM machine. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I absolutely hate the phrase “ We are pregnant “ spoken by a man
    No , she is pregnant he is expecting a baby .

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Actually everytime i see a "Mum & Baby doing well" post on social media i get a little bit angry. No idea why

Candie wrote: »
    Moist is just about as ugly a word as a word can be, but it has serious competition in the word gusset.

I don't find the word cuppa revolting, but I do find myself rather likely to despise the people who use it. If someone says the words cuppa and tasty in the same sentence - e.g. "Doris, I had a very tasty sandwich with my cuppa" - that person will be forever dead to me.

Pamper, unless you're referring to a brand of nappies, is a word that no normal adult would/should ever use. There's just no excuse for it at all.

I spent three weeks in hospital earlier in the summer and i sh!t you not for the last week in a new ward the oul lad in the bed next to me was coughing up such phlegm and mucous all through each night i was there. In fairness it was a specific ward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

White Goods

Which goods exactly? Rice, milk, mozzarella, paper, a Kildare GAA jersey, lilies? All white. What's wrong with using the correct term?

Entitled

I spent three weeks in hospital earlier in the summer and i sh!t you not for the last week in a new ward the oul lad in the bed next to me was coughing up such phlegm and mucous all through each night i was there. In fairness it was a specific ward

Rich sputum green

/unsubscribe

:(

/unsubscribe

:(

On that theme - “Cancelled”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I love all of those words. :D Her moist squelchy gusset. Oh yeah baby. :D
    iamwhoiam wrote:
    Oh I hear that! Usually spoken by some organic muesli eating, authentic peruvian hat wearing numpty who will have one of those wraps(organic and hand made by poor Uzbek women in a field somewhere. Of course) so he can carry "baby", never the effin baby. Likely has one of those strap on placcy boobies so he can breast feed. With his co parent's thumb print on the top of his head. And almost always with a very punchable face.

No sunshine, you're not having a baby, you're not pregnant. You're not going to go through 9 months of that and fire it out screaming blue bloody murder for an epidural. Oh "we're going to have a natural birth". Oh are you? I'd ask her mate. Your only contribution to the process lasted about five seconds of you crossing your eyes, after she spent three minutes rolling hers. Feck off. And that. :D

I went off on a rant because only last week I had the misfortune of talking with one such limp spined twat. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement