Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gold

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Roonbox wrote: »
    I dunno if QE3 will have the same affect as QE2 or QE1, the patient has cancer, a bandaid wont do much..
    Just an opinion

I believe the announcement of QE3, QE2.x, son of QE, or whatever it is called will push Gold to and through $2k.

Did you see today's action? Bernanke says nothing about QE and the GLD drops almost 3%.

I plan to get back in if/when we pull back around $150 on the GLD. It's a support level that is sticking and tested.

We'll see!

BTW - just bought the physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

FISMA wrote: »
    How did that other side feel today?:rolleyes:

GLD up 3.88% and Gold up $61.28 in a day just because the US numbers were much poorer than expected.

Imagine what an official Greek default or exit will do.

Imagine what the official announcement of QE 3 is going to do.

All this during a time where we're seeing deflation?

Still not convinced with the $15xx bottom in gold? What then would convince you?

If you read my post correctly you would have noticed that I shorted it after the 61$ move :)

Keep buying :)

You clearly have no clue about investments if you hold your sentiments so strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

FISMA wrote: »
    I believe the announcement of QE3, QE2.x, son of QE, or whatever it is called will push Gold to and through $2k.

Did you see today's action? Bernanke says nothing about QE and the GLD drops almost 3%.

I plan to get back in if/when we pull back around $150 on the GLD. It's a support level that is sticking and tested.

We'll see!

BTW - just bought the physical.

Look to buy at 1423 ;) dont ask me why :) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 coolabuaile

I would recommend you spend 10% of your savings on silver. The historical price ratio between gold and silver is 1:16. Right now it's more like 1:60! I spent a small few euro on silver by sheer fluke 5 years ago and have seen my investment triple. It was only recently that I started seriously reading up on this stuff, very confusing but if you can filter most of the crap talk out, it seems silver is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

I would recommend you spend 10% of your savings on silver. The historical price ratio between gold and silver is 1:16. Right now it's more like 1:60! I spent a small few euro on silver by sheer fluke 5 years ago and have seen my investment triple. It was only recently that I started seriously reading up on this stuff, very confusing but if you can filter most of the crap talk out, it seems silver is the way to go.

Why assume that silver will go up in order to 'correct' the historical ratio?
    Wouldn't a fall in gold not have the same outcome?

Did your 'serious reading' reveal any reasons why the ratio might not revert to traditional positions?

• Advertisement

Lplated wrote: »

Why assume that silver will go up in order to 'correct' the historical ratio?
    Wouldn't a fall in gold not have the same outcome?

Did your 'serious reading' reveal any reasons why the ratio might not revert to traditional positions?

Yes. The physical quantities of gold available, the cost of mining poorer and poorer grade ores as time goes by and more demand for physical metals as opposed to bonds got me thinking. Investers may be turning to silver, platinum etc as well as gold. I'm just an inquisitive amateur who finds this interesting. Oh also quantative easing and the impact this has had across the globe historicaly is keeping gold prices high as it is used as currency. Silver isn't but who is to say this won't change? In answer to your 'question', Prices will, I think, go back to what they were in a few years. Do you see this happening sooner?

In answer to your 'question', Prices will, I think, go back to what they were in a few years. Do you see this happening sooner?

I have no set opinion to be honest, I was merely questioning the certainty of your pronouncement, and in particular trying to point out that if, as you seem to assume, the traditional ratio will eventually be restored, there are three ways for that to happen - 1) gold comes down, 2) silver goes up, 3) a combination.

In addition also there may be factors which will result in the traditional equation never being met again.

Oh, and btw - have you considered what would happen to your equation should any of the central banks around the world, who presently hoard a significant % of their reserves in gold, either decide to change that or be forced to change that through economic circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Oh dear, here we go again.
    Seeing as we are on the "have you considered" route
    Have you considered what will happen

- once interest rates go negative ? ie your charged to store your money.

- once people realise that their pensions are worthless

- once the pension funds realise they need PM's

- once Gold becomes tier one capital again

- once Germany has cleared all their Bank exposure from the Greek Market and turns the tap off

This mess can't be fixed, and will result in high (higher) inflation at the least. If you have young kids, and can afford to - put their children's allowance into PM's. It will cover most of their education (IMHO).

I do believe that we are suffering a slow financial death here and you don't have to be a trading or currency guru to know that; open a history book. Plant the spuds, buy the metals and hang on tight (in slow motion)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

It's much more politically friendly to keep pumping the system up than to let the cards fall where they may...
    Not sure if this has been posted but UBS issued their thoughts on hyperinflation risks a while ago:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/ubs-issues-hyperinflation-warning-us-and-uk-calls-it-purely-fiscal-phenomenon

Personally I think the odds are rising, debts are increasing, deflation is still rampant, a lot of bad global economic news released lately... I'll keep a close eye on the news for the time being

• Advertisement

stackerman wrote: »

This mess can't be fixed, and will result in high (higher) inflation at the least. If you have young kids, and can afford to - put their children's allowance into PM's. It will cover most of their education (IMHO).

I think you misunderstand the purpose/intent of my questions.

Poster, with 2 posts at the time, appears from nowhere with advice to stick 10% of your cash into something he thought was a good idea.

He could be the next Messiah of investment for all i know, or he could be a shill or he could be clueless. Its hard to tell, with just 2 posts.

It is implicit in his post that the gold/silver ratio will return to historical amounts - but he didn't cite any reasons/research for being so sure that that would be the case.

Letting that slip, he also failed to attempt to explain why the rebounding of the ratio could only happen in one way, when mathematically there are three ways for it to happen.

I wish him well with his investment, but just thought that its worth it, for those who randomly read these kind of threads, to be aware that other possibilities exist.

stackerman wrote: »
    Have you considered what will happen

- once interest rates go negative ? ie your charged to store your money.

- once people realise that their pensions are worthless

- once the pension funds realise they need PM's

- once Gold becomes tier one capital again

- once Germany has cleared all their Bank exposure from the Greek Market and turns the tap off

It's hardly a secret the economy of ireland, europe and perhaps further afield is in serious sh*t.

It's a rather large jump though from what you've posted there to the other guys 'lets all put 10% into silver'.

Gold is risk. It's been following all the other commodities in a downward direction.

Risk is not undervalued if the world is plunged into a 1930's Great Depression.

So true, and there's risk attached to everything in life. Someone recently questioned the reason why I suggested a 10% investment in silver. It's because you should never put all your eggs in the one basket. Try a little bit of everything, be more self sufficient. I may not be right in everything I do but I know I won't go hungry and I know I have something to barter with. Isn't that what it all boils down to? It's not about getting rich on the world's misery, it's about being able to take care of yourself and your family if the worst comes to the worst. Nothing wrong with a little caution whilst remaining optomistic!:)

Lplated wrote: »
    I have no set opinion to be honest, I was merely questioning the certainty of your pronouncement, and in particular trying to point out that if, as you seem to assume, the traditional ratio will eventually be restored, there are three ways for that to happen - 1) gold comes down, 2) silver goes up, 3) a combination.

In addition also there may be factors which will result in the traditional equation never being met again.

Oh, and btw - have you considered what would happen to your equation should any of the central banks around the world, who presently hoard a significant % of their reserves in gold, either decide to change that or be forced to change that through economic circumstances?
    Read what you quoted carefully. That is the answer to your question. In layman's terms, the price of precious metals will of course fall again, but not just yet. Not as long as we hear the words quantitive easing in the news. All I am saying is that it's worth anyone's while to put a little of their savings into physical metals. It appears that you are taking offence to whatever I post. I didn't mean to offend or anger you in any way.

Read what you quoted carefully. That is the answer to your question. In layman's terms, the price of precious metals will of course fall again, but not just yet. Not as long as we hear the words quantitive easing in the news. All I am saying is that it's worth anyone's while to put a little of their savings into physical metals. It appears that you are taking offence to whatever I post. I didn't mean to offend or anger you in any way.

To be fair that isn't what you said at all. You specifically said to lump money into silver on the basis its price would rise to meet a historical ratio with the price of gold.

I was merely questioning the reasoning behind your assumptions, I'm not in the least offended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭grover_green

silver is not a ( currency ? ) in the way some say gold is , its value largely depends on industrial demand , it went along for the ride with gold for a few years there but has since decoupled somewhat , its at $30 at the moment and was close to $ 24 not so long ago , it went to almost $ 50 dollars in may 2011 then collapsed overnight , its a metal which is incredibly maniplulated from a price POV , demand is slowing from an industrial POV and its unlikely to shadow gold in its continual rise to any large degree

i would not be amazed to see gold @ $ 2500 within five years , i would be utterly astounded to see silver @ 75 and surprised to see it past $ 50

gold is a much better bet

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

silver is not a ( currency ? ) in the way some say gold is , its value largely depends on industrial demand , it went along for the ride with gold for a few years there but has since decoupled somewhat , its at $30 at the moment and was close to $ 24 not so long ago , it went to almost $ 50 dollars in may 2011 then collapsed overnight , its a metal which is incredibly maniplulated from a price POV , demand is slowing from an industrial POV and its unlikely to shadow gold in its continual rise to any large degree

i would not be amazed to see gold @ $ 2500 within five years , i would be utterly astounded to see silver @ 75 and surprised to see it past $ 50

Silver didn't "collapse" overnight, there was a price correction - big difference. Silver and gold manipulation will not last forever - it can't.

Silver has been outperforming gold in recent times which I think will happen for the short-medium term but gold will begin to outperform after that.

If I had to give advice to anyone, don't be left exposed to the coming world economy collapse by holding paper money. At least have some money in real tangible assets such as gold, silver and land. Your pension would be totally wiped away but you still have gold, silver and land. Silver is great for the majority of people who don't have a large sum to invest, compared to gold's expensive price.

I can't believe that some people were saying that the dollar is a safe-haven currency. Are you taking the p!ss?! Seriously, the only reason why Bennie Bernanke keeps printing money is because he knows there will be demand for it when people buy oil. When the Petrodollar collapses, which I think could have in less than 2-3 years time, the dollar collapse. The world's monetary system is complete bullsh!t. Imagine that the US can print money to buy oil, and the country that sold the oil are obliged to invest their profits in US Bonds! Double the fun for the US, but double the trouble when the likes of Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia decide to refuse dollars for the oil. Now this is only one reason why the dollar is sure to collapse, and seen as every currency in the world is based on the dollar there will be a world economic collapse. China are buying gold and silver, hoping that they will be able to back their currency buy PM's when something like this happens.

That's my rant over, hopefully it's changed the perspective of some people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

DarkDusk wrote: »
    If I had to give advice to anyone, don't be left exposed to the coming world economy collapse by holding paper money. At least have some money in real tangible assets such as gold, silver and land.
    While I take the point that tangible assets are superior in times of turmoil, realistically if things got so bad that markets collapse/governments start appropriating any PM assets in the country, it is not going to be easy for the majority of people to find a market for their gold/silver etc.

Buy land, plant crop, grow cow, build mud hut:pac:

While I take the point that tangible assets are superior in times of turmoil, realistically if things got so bad that markets collapse/governments start appropriating any PM assets in the country, it is not going to be easy for the majority of people to find a market for their gold/silver etc.

Buy land, plant crop, grow cow, build mud hut:pac:

I agree with you on that, but the PM's would have the function of preserving your wealth until things get good again, instead of having no wealth at all.

Great advice at the end I must say! Food water and shelter would be the most valuable assets during a crisis - I have to say that Ireland is much better prepared than >75% of the world in respect to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

If I had to give advice to anyone, don't be left exposed to the coming world economy collapse by holding paper money. At least have some money in real tangible assets such as gold, silver and land. Your pension would be totally wiped away but you still have gold, silver and land. Silver is great for the majority of people who don't have a large sum to invest, compared to gold's expensive price.

Better a year early than a day too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Great interview Mr Sprott

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000117716&play=1

Very funny to hear/see the confusion on the CNBC government cheerleaders :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

I strongly disagree.. Silver will easily see $75 in the next 5 years...

I agree with you on that, but the PM's would have the function of preserving your wealth until things get good again, instead of having no wealth at all.

Great advice at the end I must say! Food water and shelter would be the most valuable assets during a crisis - I have to say that Ireland is much better prepared than >75% of the world in respect to this.

You need to be more worried about inflation.

You need to be more worried about inflation.

I am very worried about inflation! It's just that Ireland would be a better place to live in the case of a economic meltdown, when we would have to live off the land and not depend on supermarkets to fill our bellies.

I see silver over $100 within 5 years definitely, gold over $2,200 next year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭bacon?

I am very worried about inflation! It's just that Ireland would be a better place to live in the case of a economic meltdown, when we would have to live off the land and not depend on supermarkets to fill our bellies.

I see silver over $100 within 5 years definitely, gold over $2,200 next year also.

I'm with DarkDusk and Roonbox, there's been a lot more people turning to silver the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

bacon? wrote: »

I'm with DarkDusk and Roonbox, there's been a lot more people turning to silver the past while.

It's hard handing over a large wad of cash for a small amount of gold when the same gets you a lot of silver, obviously that's a mental barrier of mine and its due to the rarity of both metals etc

But from an investment perspective ye silver is like gold on steroids or leveraged, usually if gold moves up 10$ silver will move say 1$, but as a percentage wise the gains (or losses) are better with silver

It's hard handing over a large wad of cash for a small amount of gold when the same gets you a lot of silver, obviously that's a mental barrier of mine and its due to the rarity of both metals etc

But from an investment perspective ye silver is like gold on steroids or leveraged, usually if gold moves up 10$ silver will move say 1$, but as a percentage wise the gains (or losses) are better with silver

For gold to go up 10$ that would be up about .6% and for silver going up 1$ that would be up nearly 3%. Gains in silver are not 5 times that of gold, generally. Generally, silver gains are double that of gold, but so are the losses. The reason for this is because Silver has a smaller market, and the price can shift easily compared to gold, which is a very big market.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been resurrected yet after whats happened in the last couple of days..

Absolute carnage in the Gold Market today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Absolute carnage in the Gold Market today
    Carnage is an understatement. I hope the goldbugs come back out and apologise to all those they told gold was a "safe" investment.

This is an interesting article that shatters some myths about gold
    http://pawelmorski.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/gold-of-bogeymen-and-bunker-monkeys/

Advertisement