Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post "Deliverybox"

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

grattanoh wrote: »
    90% of the delivery drivers that leave packages at my house don’t require a signature. If I’m not there to collect it they either ring to ask if they can leave it in the green bin or leave a collection slip.

Personally I would happy with a collection slip. As I'm assured my delivery does not get robbed. If they left it somewhere else (e.g. green bin) then they would be liable if it got robbed.

Any couriers I have received deliveries from text\email you in advance. You can change delivery time or change the location (e.g. your work address). That suits me.

Unless you are getting packages from couriers (i.e. not An Post) on a very regular basis, and you cannot arrange alternative time\location for delivery, and you don't want to collect at their collection point. Then really deliveries from couriers is not an issue with buying the An Post DeliveryBox and getting rid of letterbox in your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 grattanoh

Personally I would happy with a collection slip. As I'm assured my delivery does not get robbed. If they left it somewhere else (e.g. green bin) then they would be liable if it got robbed.

Any couriers I have received deliveries from text\email you in advance. You can change delivery time or change the location (e.g. your work address). That suits me.

Unless you are getting packages from couriers (i.e. not An Post) on a very regular basis, and you cannot arrange alternative time\location for delivery, and you don't want to collect at their collection point. Then really deliveries from couriers is not an issue with buying the An Post DeliveryBox and getting rid of letterbox in your door.

My wife is forever buying online so the couriers are more than familiar with our house at this stage😂
    Though not having a letter slot is preventing anyone from dropping mail at your house. Granted there is no slot for junk mail, but I think in general letterboxes are useful for people leaving invitations or even something like returning keys etc.

Granted there is no slot for junk mail, but I think in general letterboxes are useful for people leaving invitations or even something like returning keys etc.

This is what you have to weigh up I guess when getting rid of letterbox in door, then choosing between An Post DeliveryBox and a "normal" external letterbox.

DeliveryBox prevents junk mail, but people can't leave things like invitations.

Normal external letterbox you get junk mail, but people can leave things like invitations.

Dropping of keys would be an exception rather than a regular occurrence for most people I would imagine. It wouldn't seem to make sense to make a decision based on an exception.

This is what you have to weigh up I guess when getting rid of letterbox in door, then choosing between An Post DeliveryBox and a "normal" external letterbox.

DeliveryBox prevents junk mail, but people can't leave things like invitations.

Normal external letterbox you get junk mail, but people can leave things like invitations.

Dropping of keys would be an exception rather than a regular occurrence for most people I would imagine. It wouldn't seem to make sense to make a decision based on an exception.

I agree the keys is an exception.
    I suppose I’m just looking at taking the hassle out of shopping online. My wife does so much shopping online that I’m back and forth to the post office or collection point at a shop in the nearest town. By getting the deliveries dropped to the house it actually is shopping from home as opposed to shopping from the parcel motel collection point!!:)

I agree the keys is an exception.
    I suppose I’m just looking at taking the hassle out of shopping online. My wife does so much shopping online that I’m back and forth to the post office or collection point at a shop in the nearest town. By getting the deliveries dropped to the house it actually is shopping from home as opposed to shopping from the parcel motel collection point!!:)

Most online shopping I would imagine will not fit through letter box in door.

So you are left with getting one of those big external letter boxes that any courier can put a parcel in.

But that brings me back to my previous question. How safe are these big external boxes? Surely if the courier can put a parcel in, then someone can easily rob the parcel?

I would imagine they are not very safe. So it's a question of weighing up how happy you are with the risk that a valuable parcel may get robbed...versus the hassle of rearranging delivery time\collection point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So you are left with getting one of those big external letter boxes that any courier can put a parcel in.

But that brings me back to my previous question. How safe are these big external boxes? Surely if the courier can put a parcel in, then someone can easily rob the parcel?

I would imagine they are not very safe. So it's a question of weighing up how happy you are with the risk that a valuable parcel may get robbed...versus the hassle of rearranging delivery time\collection point.

you can buy external delivery boxes that allow parcels to be put in the box by couriers but stop others from taking them out.

this is one example but there are many others.

https://www.brizebox.com/

The parcel boxes are bolted to the ground and they have a 3 point lock. That said, someone with an angle grinder will get in quick enough!! But the benefit of the parcel box is that you won’t know if something is inside it. Therefore if you are a thief, you risk getting caught breaking into the box that could potentially be empty.

The parcel boxes are bolted to the ground and they have a 3 point lock. That said, someone with an angle grinder will get in quick enough!! But the benefit of the parcel box is that you won’t know if something is inside it. Therefore if you are a thief, you risk getting caught breaking into the box that could potentially be empty.

Also, they are no less secure than An Posts box.

Also, they are no less secure than An Posts box.

The An Post box you must use a key to open it. So by that alone it is more secure.

The one you suggested https://www.donedeal.ie/doors-for-sale/large-post-box-letter-box-mail-box/18605952 it is hard to see from the pics how the mechanism works, but if someone can get the opening for the parcel to pop open they can take out the parcel easily.

The BrizeBox https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brizebox-Standard-Standalone-Delivery-32x23x18cm/dp/B07554P5CG/ref=lp_9534776031_1_1?srs=9534776031&ie=UTF8&qid=1524652360&sr=8-1 the mechanism seems to be that the opening to the lower compartment is opened when the drawer is closed. How secure that is depends on whether you can activate the mechanism to open the lower compartment without closing the drawer.

But definitely these look safer than just an opening where someone can easily take a letter\parcel out.

The An Post box you must use a key to open it. So by that alone it is more secure.

The one you suggested https://www.donedeal.ie/doors-for-sale/large-post-box-letter-box-mail-box/18605952 it is hard to see from the pics how the mechanism works, but if someone can get the opening for the parcel to pop open they can take out the parcel easily.

The BrizeBox https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brizebox-Standard-Standalone-Delivery-32x23x18cm/dp/B07554P5CG/ref=lp_9534776031_1_1?srs=9534776031&ie=UTF8&qid=1524652360&sr=8-1 the mechanism seems to be that the opening to the lower compartment is opened when the drawer is closed. How secure that is depends on whether you can activate the mechanism to open the lower compartment without closing the drawer.

But definitely these look safer than just an opening where someone can easily take a letter\parcel out.

well no box is going to be 100% secure. you can open any one of them with an angle grinder. you can only ensure that they are secure enough to deter a thief. ow much effort will a thief put in if they don't even know what they are robbing?

• Advertisement

well no box is going to be 100% secure. you can open any one of them with an angle grinder. you can only ensure that they are secure enough to deter a thief. ow much effort will a thief put in if they don't even know what they are robbing?

They can all be open with an angle grinder. So it's not a meaningful way of comparing how secure they are.

I would consider it at the level of whether someone can open merely by using their hands or some small tool to activate the mechanism that would not alert people near by.

Based on this, I would see the An Post DeliveryBox as more secure as you need a key to open it.

They can all be open with an angle grinder. So it's not a meaningful way of comparing how secure they are.

I would consider it at the level of whether someone can open merely by using their hands or some small tool to activate the mechanism that would not alert people near by.

Based on this, I would see the An Post DeliveryBox as more secure as you need a key to open it.

with the one I linked to i cannot see how a thief could use their hands or a tool to gain access to the parcels inside.

The one on done deal requires a key too. It also has four bolts which go into the ground. An Posts one would be a lot easier to pry off a wall. Also I have seen An Posts secured to wooden fences which would make it very easy to remove with a nail bar. When it is fixed with small screws it doesn’t matter matter how many keys you need to open it!!

The one on done deal requires a key too.

It doesn't require a key to place a parcel in it. The only way to add a parcel to An Post box is with a key.

Regards pulling the entire box off the wall. It's the same as I mentioned before - it depends what criteria you apply to comparing security. If someone wants your mail box they will get it regardless of whether it is screwed or bolted. ATM machines are robbed :)

I would say there is much more risk from someone being able to use their hands or a small tool to activate the mechanism to open the delivery box. As it can be easily done without drawing too much attention. When you can only open the box with a key, then the risk is lower here.

It doesn't require a key to place a parcel in it. The only way to add a parcel to An Post box is with a key.

Regards pulling the entire box off the wall. It's the same as I mentioned before - it depends what criteria you apply to comparing security. If someone wants your mail box they will get it regardless of whether it is screwed or bolted. ATM machines are robbed :)

I would say there is much more risk from someone being able to use their hands or a small tool to activate the mechanism to open the delivery box. As it can be easily done without drawing too much attention. When you can only open the box with a key, then the risk is lower here.

Well I agree with you regarding the security and that anything can essentially be stolen.
    Where I disagree is that An Posts box matches the benefits of the other residential post boxes. An post should have designed their product so that anyone could could leave packages and letters in it as opposed to trying to isolate the market. They have now effectively left themselves with a product that is outdated and doesn’t achieve the needs of online shoppers.
    If even one time I buy a product that is not delivered by An Post, my mailbox is not serving its purpose. If my residential mail box can accept all suitably sized packages then it serves a much better function.
    An Post needs to redesign their product so that it caters for the full online shopping market. Until then there will be a growth in the sale of alternative post boxes and the reported decline of sales in An Posts box will continue.

Yes for someone who wants their mailbox to be used by all delivery people (An Post and other couriers) then the An Post mail box does not satisfy all their needs.

For someone who is happy to deal with deliveries from couriers separately (either be there to accept, or rearrange time\location, or use Parcel Motel etc.), then An Post delivery box is more favorable as it is more secure than alternative boxes because it requires a key to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

90% of the delivery drivers that leave packages at my house don’t require a signature. If I’m not there to collect it they either ring to ask if they can leave it in the green bin or leave a collection slip.

Same here. There are regular drivers from DHL, DPD etc which I've established a relationship with and will typically leave parcels for me tucked behind a flower pot at my front door without any signature required.

I think it helps that having done it a few times it's never bitten them on the ass with me querying a delivery. It also helps that I have a Nest Doorbell which allows me to see and speak to delivery drivers or postmen when they ring the bell and ask them to leave the package for me.

It also records my front door area 24/7 and stores 5 days worth of footage online in HD quality so if necessary I can look back and see if some scumbag has stolen a package that was left for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 funnystory

Hi Guys,

How long it takes to get "Delivery Box", I hand delivered my application form and fee at GPO last Monday?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Five working days after payment is processed: https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Receiving/Home-Delivery-Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I hope it's ok to resurrect an old thread.
    I got a home delivery box over 2 years ago and it had been great.
    But in the the last few months I don't get the email notification until after midnight. Previously it I would always get the notification 30 mins after the postman left.

Have other had the same problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I hope it's ok to resurrect an old thread.
    I got a home delivery box over 2 years ago and it had been great.
    But in the the last few months I don't get the email notification until after midnight. Previously it I would always get the notification 30 mins after the postman left.

Have other had the same problem?

I get notification anytime from 8pm to about 12.30am these days. Its down to volumes and depends on when your parcel gets sorted. The new parcel hub in Dublin is automated and only needs a few pairs of eye on it to ensure it operates smoothly whereas before it was manual and they finished around 11pm, now it goes 24/7

I live in North Tipp and my sorting office is Portlaoise.

How does it work? The postman scans the barcode on the box and then uploads it when he gets back to the post office?
    Can't the message be sent at that stage? There is no tracking involved it's simply a message that something has been left in the box.
    Would the sorting office in Portlaoise have to approve the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I live in North Tipp and my sorting office is Portlaoise.

How does it work? The postman scans the barcode on the box and then uploads it when he gets back to the post office?
    Can't the message be sent at that stage? There is no tracking involved it's simply a message that something has been left in the box.
    Would the sorting office in Portlaoise have to approve the message?

I used to get the message seconds after the post arrived but it's nearly midnight now..

It was always at least 15 minutes for me but that was adequate. Now 8pm is early even though the latest delivery I get is actually 14:30.
    I don't understand how this is an issue at the sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It was always at least 15 minutes for me but that was adequate.
    I don't understand how this is an issue at the sorting office.

It's not as whoever said that thinks your talking about something else I'd say...

But they too talk about getting notifications from 8pm to 0:30am, which is the time frame for delivery notification these days.

Advertisement