Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post "Deliverybox"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

well that is confusing. So the aliexpress parcels that have a registered post tracking number on them would go into the box?

Yeah, regular tracked packages will go in the Deliverybox. Only if the seller paid extra for a signed for service would it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, regular tracked packages will go in the Deliverybox. Only if the seller paid extra for a signed for service would it not.

back to being confused again. Any of those parcels i receive do require a signature on delivery. If i have to pick them up at the depot i have to sign for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

back to being confused again. Any of those parcels i receive do require a signature on delivery. If i have to pick them up at the depot i have to sign for them.

But if you answer the door they'll just hand you a box. Thats what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ED E wrote: »
    But if you answer the door they'll just hand you a box. Thats what matters.

not without me signing for it first.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those will go in. I have no idea what they fill on the signature field as I've never posted myself a packet...

Its basically domestic registered letters that won't - because there are legal implications in the sender having "proof" that "you" received it. Most everything else will, if it fits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 tranceman

I got one recently. Had to wait over a week to get the box despite delivering the request form to GPO personally. Got it installed the same day it arrived and posted activation card back too - I'm into the 3rd week in total now and it still has no barcode and it's not activated - very slow service so far and too complicated setup process. I hope it will work as described once operational.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The activation card is likely lost at this stage even with Christmas posting being slow. There is a phone option to activate, I think - I would call them. Mine was activated two days after posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

L1011 wrote: »
    The activation card is likely lost at this stage even with Christmas posting being slow. There is a phone option to activate, I think - I would call them. Mine was activated two days after posting.

The activation card and barcode go your delivery office and should be put in place by your postman.

It would seem much to easy to supply the barcode with the box and you put it on your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I assume it won't work for couriers? Can they put stuff in like they would your letter box or does the locked door need to be opened to insert everything regardless of size?

😎

I assume it won't work for couriers? Can they put stuff in like they would your letter box or does the locked door need to be opened to insert everything regardless of size?

Nothing can be inserted without the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Ordered mine last week so should arrive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've been having problems occasionally as my current mailbox isn't waterproof so some post gets wet when there's heavy rain and wind..

Just wondering if the An Post box is reasonably waterproof?

If so, the fact that the postman will collect outgoing mail would be a clincher for me as the nearest letter box is miles away...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Had one of these for several months that now so i can tell you the good and the bad.
    Good.
    Nice size for some packages.
    You don't have to sign for them.
    You can post letters from it which is cool.

Bad.
    When packages don't fit the postman doesn't even bother bringing them and knocking.on the door. They leave them in the post office and.put a missed delivery slip in you delivery box.
    A few times i opened the door when i heard the delivery box open and asked the postman for the package he just left the missed delivery slip for and.he didn't even have the package with him. That's very very annoying.

Don't block up your letterbox. ONLY an post can put things in the delivery box, so any other deliveries have to still use your letterbox.
    This leads to junk mail left on top of your delivery box and then blowing around your garden.

And water gets into the delivery box easily too. You would want to install it in a sheltered area.

76544567 wrote: »

Bad.
    When packages don't fit the postman doesn't even bother bringing them and knocking.on the door. They leave them in the post office and.put a missed delivery slip in you delivery box.
    A few times i opened the door when i heard the delivery box open and asked the postman for the package he just left the missed delivery slip for and.he didn't even have the package with him. That's very very annoying.

Not done in my area - I work from home enough to have been in when they're trying to deliver outsized packages a few times and they've always had them on the van.

I think it may be best for me to get a different box. In this day and age you really need other post or couriers to be able to use your delivery box too. 30% of my deliveries are probably not from an post but DHL etc

😎

I think it may be best for me to get a different box. In this day and age you really need other post or couriers to be able to use your delivery box too. 30% of my deliveries are probably not from an post but DHL etc

Other couriers won't use any box due to the lack of signature.

Not strictly true if they can put it somewhere safe. Have often has parcels left in lobbies or wedged through letter box when they fit?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Postmen who deliver on bicycles don't usually have parcels with them.

Not strictly true if they can put it somewhere safe. Have often has parcels left in lobbies or wedged through letter box when they fit?

They shouldn't be doing that, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Or in a wheely bin
    they did twice at my adress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The main advantage of the An Post box, as mentioned earlier, is it's size. It really is enormous compared to other more decorative but less functional examples. It is certainly not a thing of beauty however and will not enhance the appearance of your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

76544567 wrote: »

And water gets into the delivery box easily too. You would want to install it in a sheltered area.

Well that's a serious flaw. I need a new post box for exactly that reason, my current one lets water in.
    That would put me off getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

L1011 wrote: »
    Other couriers won't use any box due to the lack of signature.

Yeah, so it makes complete sense to get one of these boxes and block up your letterbox.

Only An Post can put items in your box so you won't get any junk mail ever again!

If you are expecting something small from another delivery company...there are loads of other options
    * Many couriers let you reschedule to a time or different location that suits better
    * DHL have collection points where they leave it in a locker
    * You can use Parcel Motel

For your average person, I can't think of any real scenario where you would be "stuck" because you got rid of your letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 grattanoh

Yeah, so it makes complete sense to get one of these boxes and block up your letterbox.

Only An Post can put items in your box so you won't get any junk mail ever again!

If you are expecting something small from another delivery company...there are loads of other options
    * Many couriers let you reschedule to a time or different location that suits better

For your average person, I can't think of any real scenario where you would be "stuck" because you got rid of your letterbox.

When buying online, there are many different companies that do courier services, not just An Post. Therefore it is a much more prudent option to buy a large residential post box with a letter slot so anyone can deliver letters or packages to your property and you don’t need to pick them up from drop off locations or take them out of your green bin.

grattanoh wrote: »
    When buying online, there are many different companies that do courier services, not just An Post. Therefore it is a much more prudent option to buy a large residential post box with a letter slot so anyone can deliver letters or packages to your property and you don’t need to pick them up from drop off locations or take them out of your green bin.

As per adverts...

When buying online, there are many different companies that do courier services, not just An Post.

These other companies that do courier services, which ones deliver mail without a signature?

My understanding was that only An Post deliver mail without a signature (i.e. normal unregistered mail)

As per adverts...

Could someone easily rob your delivery from one of those mailboxes? https://www.donedeal.ie/doors-for-sale/large-post-box-letter-box-mail-box/18605952

Personally I'd rather re-arrange my delivery with the courier than run the risk of someone robbing a valuable item from a mailbox that anyone can access. Plus those large mail boxes look terrible :)

If you can't rearrange a time with the courier that suits just get it sent to Parcel Motel.

I guess it depends on each individual. Unless you are getting deliveries from couriers on a weekly basis, then one of these big mailboxes are just an overkill.

These other companies that do courier services, which ones deliver mail without a signature?

My understanding was that only An Post deliver mail without a signature (i.e. normal unregistered mail)

90% of the delivery drivers that leave packages at my house don’t require a signature. If I’m not there to collect it they either ring to ask if they can leave it in the green bin or leave a collection slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

90% of the delivery drivers that leave packages at my house don’t require a signature. If I’m not there to collect it they either ring to ask if they can leave it in the green bin or leave a collection slip.

So you get deliveries from lazy courier drivers thats fine if your happy with it.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    So you get deliveries from lazy courier drivers thats fine if your happy with it.

Well if you want to ensure the delivery man has left the parcel in your post box, you can write a reference number inside the lid of your post box and tell the delivery driver to take note of the reference number to ensure he can prove delivery.

Advertisement