Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E bike advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

not sure i see where she's mentioned this?
    coleen wrote: »
    I had not thought of it as a motorbike or throttled ebike .

sorry for the confusion folks I meant to say "she is NOT talking about getting a traditional motorbike"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Ribble do an ebike that is about 12.5 kgs in weight https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-e-105/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be a little more than the OP was intending to spend, TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

might be a little more than the OP was intending to spend, TBF.
    Definitely more than I had been thinking, my car is 15 years old and I paid slightly more than that for it 10 years ago!!
    But it does look like a lovely bike and is considerably lighter than any other bike I have looked at.
    Lots of info to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The carrera was listed at 1550 but I got it for 1200 in one of Halfords regular sales. If you know anyone with an AXA card that'll get you 15% off. I was out for a cycle on it today, 55km and still one bar of power left, so it has a decent range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

youtheman wrote: »
    Ribble do an ebike that is about 12.5 kgs in weight https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-e-105/

What am I missing here? That's carbon. Canyon have an aluminium road bike for €3,000 with a Shimano GRX and Orbea have an aluminium bike with Tiagra 10 speed for the same price.

Seems too good to be true for €2,800?

Edit: Ah there's no VAT on that price. Nevermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What am I missing here? That's carbon. Canyon have an aluminium road bike for €3,000 with a Shimano GRX and Orbea have an aluminium bike with Tiagra 10 speed for the same price.

Seems too good to be true for €2,800?

Edit: Ah there's no VAT on that price. Nevermind!

I think that is a standard frame and the 'drive' is incorporated into the hub of the rear wheel. Most e-bikes have the drive in the frame somewhere near the bottom bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I got a Cube Hybrid One 400 over two years ago and it's a life changer. Where I used to drive or take the bus, I cycle almost all the time. I still have the road bike for the weekends, but use the e-bike every day for commuting, getting around and holidays.

I can only recommend them as they mean cycling is still fun as they take the work out of all the hard stuff like climbing hills.

My advice:

Get a removable battery, as it's easier to take it off to charge or repair it.
    Get a Bosch motor/battery. I've heard good things about Samsung, but Bosch have literally built hundreds of thousands of theirs and they are taken to be the best mix of value and reliability.
    Get one with the motor down at the pedals, not on the wheel; easier to control, change tires on and less energy losses.
    Get one with the battery on the frame, not on the rear carrier as it's better for balance.

Entry level Cube's start at just over €2,000 and I've been very happy with mine, I only changed the tires to Schwalbe Marathon Plus for Dublin's roads and that was it.

This is mine, but they have three frame types and loads of different models.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/e-bikes/tour/touring-hybrid/cube-touring-hybrid-one-400-blacknblue-2020/
    331050_light.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yousifm

Hi I am thinking about buying an ebike. I have a Giant bike currently and my cycling is what I call Granny cycling! I would ramble around 15 to 20km in the flat where possible. I like admiring houses gardens and country side.
    I am close to retiring and my husband would cycle a few days a week ; anything from 30 to 60 km. So I am thinking if I had an ebike I could go a little farther with him and still enjoy myself . We have done a few greenways and always enjoy that.
    We would always hire bikes when on holidays Spain Portugal Holland etc and I surprise myself when on holidays I seem to manage a good few kms and enjoy the day.
    I’m sure this is helped by the nice weather and the flat cycling.
    I’m finding there is not that many places in Ireland without hills. I would also like to be able to put it on the bike rack to take with us when we can go places.
    What should I be looking for in an ebike. What is a good brand , what should my budget be .
    Any advice welcome
    Not sure if you already decided on what way to go for an ebike but as far as upgrading your bike to electric, the myebike.ie guys do that as well as some bikeshops around the city centre.
    Just make sure whoever does the upgrade can actually fix it if you have any problems later on.

yousifm wrote: »
    Not sure if you already decided on what way to go for an ebike but as far as upgrading your bike to electric, the myebike.ie guys do that as well as some bikeshops around the city centre.
    Just make sure whoever does the upgrade can actually fix it if you have any problems later on.

Thank you I will check that out. I would have purchased by now but I am finding that places have very little supply and that demand is quite high , most shops saying they wont have their stock in for a number of months.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

My Aunty is West of Dingle and she's had great use out of an ebike the last few years. She's in her 70's. The battery takes her over the mám and she can freewheel down the other side and into the town. - Absolutely great yokes. I even had a go of it myself and I couldn't believe how pleasant it was. Wasn't cheap but well worth it.

fat bloke wrote: »
    My Aunty is West of Dingle and she's had great use out of an ebike the last few years. She's in her 70's. The battery takes her over the mám and she can freewheel down the other side and into the town. - Absolutely great yokes. I even had a go of it myself and I couldn't believe how pleasant it was. Wasn't cheap but well worth it.

Thais exactly what I want to hear and what I am hoping for !

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yousifm

Thank you I will check that out. I would have purchased by now but I am finding that places have very little supply and that demand is quite high , most shops saying they wont have their stock in for a number of months.
    Thanks again
    If you're finding that many of the ebike stores are low in stock, then look into upgrading your bike to electric.

Another option would be to buy a used ebike, but I would leave that as a last resort as it's very difficult to know the condition of the battery and there's not going to be a warranty with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Hi, two questions;

I've recently purchased an e_bike through BTW scheme. Só far só good, getting out at least 5_7km a day which is great for me!

1) Can anyone recommend a decent bike lock? I got one with the bike but its not great imo and can be snapped with a decent Bolt Cutters.

2) I was considering insuring my e_bike. I would like some advice or recommended brokers that deal with bikes. At moment not insured só would like to get it sorted asap.

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

standard lock people would recommend is a good D lock, like a kryptonite or similar.
    regarding insurance, i'd first ask your insurance company how much it'd cost to add to your house policy, if you have one. some insurers are better than others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1) Can anyone recommend a decent bike lock? I got one with the bike but its not great imo and can be snapped with a decent Bolt Cutters.
    Get two, a Solid U lock, Kryptonite Yellow or Orange, and then a chunky chain and padlock type. The more a thief has to do to get your biike, the more likely they will go for someone elses.
    2) I was considering insuring my e_bike. I would like some advice or recommended brokers that deal with bikes. At moment not insured só would like to get it sorted asap.
    House insurance if you have it, second to that, get a price from an insurer and then put that money every month into a savings account. You are playing the odds game but between depreciation, excess etc. Statistically it will probably be a better bet, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

Is there any universal batteries ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...I would also like to be able to put it on the bike rack to take with us when we can go places.

Another option perhaps in the future is a folding bike like a Brompton. They have a good eBike version. It's more manageable than lifting a bike on a rack. I'd prefer a regular bike where possible. But it's just another option.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a road ebike for commuting to work. I have no interest in a DIY build and it has to be a road bike so options are quite limited. Even more limited again as I'd prefer a mid drive with removable battery as I don't want to have to bring a bike into the office to charge it, mid drive also gives the option to upgrade wheels.

I have my eye on the Canyon Endurace ON for €3,000 but not sure if my company will allow online purchases or they go with the voucher crowd. Wondering what options I have from brands sold in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 duskyjoe2

I bought a cube ebike - it just chews the Km’s. I did 40k today up and down the hills of killiney and back into the city - on an ordinary bike I’d have need a visit to a coronary unit re killiney hills but it’s just great and u get a good work out .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

I recently purchased one of these:

EU_RadRhino_250W_Right_Side_View_Web_900x.jpg?v=1593418046

RadRhino from

https://radpowerbikes.eu/collections/electric-bikes/products/radrhino-electric-fat-bike

It's pretty great. I'm not sure about the comment earlier regarding throttle. The throttle only appears to work on the latest model when pedalling and is just there to get you quickly up to max power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maurz

Hi Manion

I would love one of those Rad Bikes.

Are there any retailers in Ireland for these Electric Rad bikes or the Electric Fat Bikes?

I would like to buy from somewhere I could conveniently return to for support/service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I have my eye on the Canyon Endurace ON for €3,000 but not sure if my company will allow online purchases or they go with the voucher crowd. Wondering what options I have from brands sold in Dublin?

Check out reviews for the Fazua system, the assistance is quite limited i believe and I would like to see how one stands up to daily commuting year round in Ireland

Probably better bet is the ebikemotion system or even better (I believe) is the Cannondale synapse neo roadbikes with the bosch active line plus motor integrated into the bottom bracket. I put 20k klm on my bosch system bike before it needed to be rebuilt - and now its going into its next 20k.

Here’s a thread about similar https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058059115

Remember that the assistance cuts at over 25kph which leaves you pushing a relatively heavy bike. If you are capable of maintaining 25kph+ maybe a slippery light commuter bike would be better.

I have reservations about uning an e-road bike for commuting. I think the best ebike option for this use is a Cube whatever with a bosch system, 500wh battery and mudguards / rack / integrated lights. Another option is something with a hub (in wheel) motor as theoretically less maintenance (mid drives wear chains / cranks / cassettes quicker) but I prefer how mid drives feel. Remember that where the ebike comes into its own is in sh1t weather, up hills and reducing sweating.

maurz wrote: »
    Hi Manion

I would love one of those Rad Bikes.

Are there any retailers in Ireland for these Electric Rad bikes or the Electric Fat Bikes?

I would like to buy from somewhere I could conveniently return to for support/service.

Hey, the eu site ships to Ireland. A colleague mentioned they provided good levels of remote support but yes, servicing is a thing I've started to wonder about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Ferris wrote: »
    Remember that where the ebike comes into its own is in sh1t weather, up hills and reducing sweating.

^^This

When I commuted into/out of town, I loved my eBike most on rainy days when I could comfortably armour myself up in rain gear, let the motor take on more of the work and arrive dry and not too sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Manion wrote: »
    Hey, the eu site ships to Ireland. A colleague mentioned they provided good levels of remote support but yes, servicing is a thing I've started to wonder about.

All the servicing items are standard bike parts. You cannot service any of the assist system - just replace. Very few motors / batteries / controllers / displays would be held in stock in Ireland outside of maybe Bosch.

I like the Radpower bikes, very cheap. Look out for availability however, most are out of stock. A friend tried to buy a Radwagon and was told that they were not going to be available for the foreseeable - shame as I was having thoughts on buying one. The radmission is unbelievable value for money. One fly in the ointment is buying one on bike to work scheme, not sure if anyone has managed that. No ebike will be supplied into the EU with a throttle as its illegal.

On a seperate note I cannot understand fatbikes unless trying to cycle on snow. I would imagine that they are slower and use more battery than a normal bike.

I have seen a couple of Lectro bikes which seemed reasonably well put together and they have an irish distributor which accepts bike to work.

Check out reviews for the Fazua system, the assistance is quite limited i believe and I would like to see how one stands up to daily commuting year round in Ireland

Probably better bet is the ebikemotion system or even better (I believe) is the Cannondale synapse neo roadbikes with the bosch active line plus motor integrated into the bottom bracket. I put 20k klm on my bosch system bike before it needed to be rebuilt - and now its going into its next 20k.

Here’s a thread about similar https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058059115

Remember that the assistance cuts at over 25kph which leaves you pushing a relatively heavy bike. If you are capable of maintaining 25kph+ maybe a slippery light commuter bike would be better.

I have reservations about uning an e-road bike for commuting. I think the best ebike option for this use is a Cube whatever with a bosch system, 500wh battery and mudguards / rack / integrated lights. Another option is something with a hub (in wheel) motor as theoretically less maintenance (mid drives wear chains / cranks / cassettes quicker) but I prefer how mid drives feel. Remember that where the ebike comes into its own is in sh1t weather, up hills and reducing sweating.

The eBikemotion has 40nm torque whereas the Fazua is 55-60nm, it also has a peak output of 400w with 250w continuous output, not sure if the eBikemotion goes above 250w. One of the reasons to pick the Fazua is the removable battery so I don't have to charge the bike in the office and the mid drive motor gives me the option to upgrade wheels down the line.

I rode the eBikemotion last year and found it grand on a commute, got to work fresh as a daisy which is impressive for a 21km journey in with lots of stopping and long inclines, it was a flat bar Orbea with large tyres so not the most efficient bike. Give me drop bars and 25c tyres any day.

Not too concerned about any chain/cassette wear as I won't be doing huge mileage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 maurz

Manion wrote: »

Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
    We have 3 cycle shops in my home town, but only 1 really good 1 in my opinion, however cheapest E Bike is €2200. ( don't really want to spend that much on a bike) They told me they've had too many problems with the cheaper models🀷*♀️

May l ask you 1 final question is your bike very heavy. Want to be able lift it on to a car bike rack. Thank again.

All the servicing items are standard bike parts. You cannot service any of the assist system - just replace. Very few motors / batteries / controllers / displays would be held in stock in Ireland outside of maybe Bosch.

I like the Radpower bikes, very cheap. Look out for availability however, most are out of stock. A friend tried to buy a Radwagon and was told that they were not going to be available for the foreseeable - shame as I was having thoughts on buying one. The radmission is unbelievable value for money. One fly in the ointment is buying one on bike to work scheme, not sure if anyone has managed that. No ebike will be supplied into the EU with a throttle as its illegal.

On a seperate note I cannot understand fatbikes unless trying to cycle on snow. I would imagine that they are slower and use more battery than a normal bike.

I have seen a couple of Lectro bikes which seemed reasonably well put together and they have an irish distributor which accepts bike to work.

The RadRhino there has a throttle, at least that's what they are calling it. Regarding fat bikes, you're limited to 25Kmh with the pedal-assist anyway and you'll have no problem getting up to that. You'll run through your battery faster for sure as the bike is heavier and there is more contact with the wheels. I selected a fat bike because it's more comfortable and easy to ride. I'm quite heavy and riding this bike is completely different compared to my old road bike. The fact it's power-assisted more than offsets the extra weight.
    maurz wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
    We have 3 cycle shops in my home town, but only 1 really good 1 in my opinion, however cheapest E Bike is €2200. ( don't really want to spend that much on a bike) They told me they've had too many problems with the cheaper models��*♀️

May l ask you 1 final question is your bike very heavy. Want to be able lift it on to a car bike rack. Thank again.

The bike is heavy, it weighs 31KG. They have lighter variants that might be better for you. It's definitely possible to lift the bike onto a car bike rack but depending on your upper body strength, you might struggle. I wouldn't say the Rad power bikes are cheaply built. Reviews indicate they use decent brand name standard parts. You can certainly pay more for less, especially in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement