Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running - A hobby or a lifestyle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I don't want to either sidetrack or hijack the thread but a question has sprung to my mind. A number of people have mentioned being competitive with themselves...is this actually possible?

If I was called out by anyone here for a TT in 12 weeks time I would probably try to do what a few mentioned in relation to a target race ie. sort out diet, drink, sleep etc. On the other hand to compete against myself I would buy faster runners and pray to god that my training plan was a good one :pac: In any sport if you are competing against opposition you would look at what you could do better than them. Do you do that when competing against yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I don't want to either sidetrack or hijack the thread but a question has sprung to my mind. A number of people have mentioned being competitive with themselves...is this actually possible?

If I was called out by anyone here for a TT in 12 weeks time I would probably try to do what a few mentioned in relation to a target race ie. sort out diet, drink, sleep etc. On the other hand to compete against myself I would buy faster runners and pray to god that my training plan was a good one :pac: In any sport if you are competing against opposition you would look at what you could do better than them. Do you do that when competing against yourself?

I had written a full long response to the OP and it got lost in the Internet wilderness and I don't have the energy to start from scratch.

I think when competing with yourself it's more a case of pushing yourself, trying to improve, do better than you've done before, striving to move forward. When I follow the logs and I see people meeting a target and then pushing on to improve on that, to me that's competing with yourself. Not sure if that answers your exact question though.

I had written a full long response to the OP and it got lost in the Internet wilderness and I don't have the energy to start from scratch.

I think when competing with yourself it's more a case of pushing yourself, trying to improve, do better than you've done before, striving to move forward. When I follow the logs and I see people meeting a target and then pushing on to improve on that, to me that's competing with yourself. Not sure if that answers your exact question though.

Is it real competition? Some people have mentioned making a big effort for a target race. If you are competing with yourself would you not make the same effort?

Is it real competition? Some people have mentioned making a big effort for a target race. If you are competing with yourself would you not make the same effort?

Can you not compete with yourself in a big target race. Or am I missing the point? Lol
    Are you equating competing with yourself with a TT?

Can you not compete with yourself in a big target race. Or am I missing the point? Lol
    Are you equating competing with yourself with a TT?

A race or a TT...surely beating a PB is the low hanging fruit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I’ve been running about 15 years now. Fast, slow, steady whatever. I have no idea what distance I cover and when I race I have no idea what my time is or where I’m coming until I check the results later that day. I don’t wear any strava or ever compare times or try to improve times . It works for me so I just keep running !!! I’ve done a lot of Marathons - Ultras and seem to be one of only a few left at the start line without any timers or PB to try and beat. I ran an ultra a while ago and wasn’t sure how long it was, was brilliant when I finally saw the finish line !! This system works for me. The less I know the better !

What I mean is that you're just trying to compete against (in most cases) a flawed self

A race or a TT...surely beating a PB is the low hanging fruit

Been trying to beat my 10k PB since March 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Never mind him P, he got fed up arguing with himself in the mirror so he came on here!!!!

Perhaps the question is more towards myself....But I know that if someone I know challenged me I would do lots different to respond to it, a lot more than I would do to beat a PB..maybe it just reflects the lack of effort I have put in so far...

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Never mind him P, he got fed up arguing with himself in the mirror so he came on here!!!!

I only came back for arguments....we can't all be trying to be Mr Popular :rolleyes:

I only came back for arguments....we can't all be trying to be Mr Popular :rolleyes:

Ooooooooh.........

Perhaps the question is more towards myself....But I know that if someone I know challenged me I would do lots different to respond to it, a lot more than I would do to beat a PB..maybe it just reflects the lack of effort I have put in so far...

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with you there. Someone calls me out for a race I'd probably change a lot of things, particularly nutrition/diet.
    One of the reasons I've always wanted to do the days of Pbs every July was to pit myself against folks on here which would make me smarten up my act..

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with you there. Someone calls me out for a race I'd probably change a lot of things, particularly nutrition/diet.
    One of the reasons I've always wanted to do the days of Pbs every July was to pit myself against folks on here which would make me smarten up my act..

Thats it...I don't think this idea of competing against yourself brings the best out of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I think you can compete with yourself. I think that sometimes competing with yourself is a good way to measure improvements etc. Sometimes competing against others can be a bit too much pressure on yourself. Every race or TT I have done is to prove to myself that I can do better than my previous time, if that happens I'm thrilled but it's not in direct competition with others. I think being competitive is a good thing, well it is for me! Don't get me wrong it shouldn't be the only motivation but it does help. To me being competitive is not about being unhappy with what i've achieved so far but hoping if i train better I can compete with myself to do better in the future:D

Thats it...I don't think this idea of competing against yourself brings the best out of someone.

Course it does, my first ever goal when I started running was to beat 45mins for 10k. You’ll say that’s not competing against myself that’s trying to to break some arbitrary time goal that I set myself. But that wasn’t the way I looked at it and I still have the same view today. I seen it as “well the Barry of 6 months ago couldn’t beat 45mins for 10k, let’s be a better version of him”.

As I said this is how I still view it, you’ll probably have noticed I tend to set arbitrary time goals when it comes to a race, that’s to beat the old Barry and compete with myself. If I don’t beat the time but beat the old me, goal achieved, if I beat both I’m ecstatic. Possibly a silly & flawed way as you said of viewing it, but it works for me and 99 times out of 100 it will bring the best out of me.

Course it does, my first ever goal when I started running was to beat 45mins for 10k. You’ll say that’s not competing against myself that’s trying to to break some arbitrary time goal that I set myself. But that wasn’t the way I looked at it and I still have the same view today. I seen it as “well the Barry of 6 months ago couldn’t beat 45mins for 10k, let’s be a better version of him”.

As I said this is how I still view it, you’ll probably have noticed I tend to set arbitrary time goals when it comes to a race, that’s to beat the old Barry and compete with myself. Possibly a silly & flawed way as you said of viewing it, but it works for me and 99 times out of 100 it will bring the best out of me.

Yeah B I get that and it has been a great motivational tool for many of us. I'm just not sure that it answers the question about running to compete. It's running to better oneself. It's a good thing, can bring improvement but it isn't competing....

Yeah B I get that and it has been a great motivational tool for many of us. I'm just not sure that it answers the question about running to compete. It's running to better oneself. It's a good thing, can bring improvement but it isn't competing....

Well I view as competing S, I’m probably wrong but I’m not going to change now!! It’s in competition with yourself.

Well I view as competing S, I’m probably wrong but I’m not going to change now!! It’s in competition with yourself.

That's cool. I was only raising the question. I've been very clearly given an answer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lol been reading this and couldn't resist asking Alexa to play eye of the tiger!

Has anyone used the running version of Zwift on a treadmill? The reason I ask is if it has a feature to race an IA version of yourself? A virtual pacer or competitor, that is you?

A C2 rowing machine does to a simple extent, a pace boat. You can re-row/race any workout. I honestly feel after using it consistently for 4 months I was driven to beat myself.

If you had a pacer that you knew was you, there is literally no excuse.

I guess you can set a target pace on a watch but it is fun to compete with a moving object. How many of us have raced the traffic? Or some poor cyclist struggling up a hill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not sure I get the connection between easy running and the hobby vs lifestyle choice. Both types of runner should be doing easy runs easy. Whether you do or not doesn’t put you in one camp or the other, surely?

Bumping this, it got lost and I think it’s worth some discussion (maybe in relation to the ‘what is easy anyway’ part of the original Q).

Maybe the question should be turned around to ask ‘Do you run hard pace runs hard?’ Some runners who are more casual about it probably never get the HR up where it should be (some of the time).

Another thought - ‘lifestyle’ runners are not necessarily better runners. I’ve met a few serial parkrun tourist types for instance, who are totally caught up in the ‘cult of parkrun’ and travel to different events every weekend. By building their lives around parkrun they are almost certainly lifestyle runners (genuine hardcore members of the parkrun tourist subculture). Lovely people, and some of them are very good runners. But a good few are more casual about the performance part.

Which is fine. The point being ‘lifestyle’ vs ‘hobby’, while a marker of dedication and identity, is not necessarily related to ability or performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

What I mean is that you're just trying to compete against (in most cases) a flawed self

I don't see any difference between this and competing against other people, the goal is the same, train better to run faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't see any difference between this and competing against other people, the goal is the same, train better to run faster?

Not necessarily, as you can compete and win against others while not necessarily running a PB.

I'm looking at it in the context of the original question....Do you run to compete? Sure we all set ourselves goals and targets but to compete is something altogether different. I suppose I see there being a difference between running your best race on the day and in doing everything possible to get last percentage of performance. It's about treating every training block as if it was for the race of a lifetime....the stuff that MCOS talks about, not just the running aspect of training. Do most of us try to bring a better version of ourselves to compete against ourselves rather than the best version? I know we are all eager to improve but does that make a truly competitive person?

Jesus I sound like Roy Keane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Do you run easy run EASY? What is easy anyway?

Yes. My first mile is often close to 9mins and almost always near enough 8:30 pace. But I don't look at pace on the watch. Up until a few months ago, I just had cadence displayed on my watch - for injury prevention reasons, I could run in the 150s/low 160s if I allowed myself, which would injure me. Now, I have cadence and HR on the watch. But I don't really need to look at it.

Easy, for me, is any pace that doesn't interfere with the things that matter, such as being well rested for sessions or staying uninjured. If I drop mileage, my easy runs get faster. If I add mileage, they get slower.

Sometimes you might need to run even easier, particularly if you're building mileage or if you've hit a session particularly hard or if you've recently started doing 2 instead of 3 sessions a week, etc. Running hard days too hard can be as problematic as misjudging easy efforts.

Mostly, I think you should be aiming for sustainable consistency in your training.

And, from that perspective, I think it's probably more important to think of recovery, holistically, rather than obsessing about pace on your easy days. So too little sleep or too much stress can be more important than some idea of 'training load' taken without context. Depending on the circumstances, 40 easy miles might be harder to pull off some weeks than 60 miles with a couple of sessions.

I don't mind pulling a session or taking a day off if it's too much of a struggle, for whatever reason.

The problem with Strava (and Boards too) is that people see a pace and don't have the context to interpret it (conditions, sleep, stress, etc). That's also a problem for athletes if they don't take context into account in their training, and are trying to hit abstract paces rather than efforts. And this is why XC is so good. It teaches you to run according to conditions/course on the day and removes the stress of the watch.

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories?

Bits and pieces, not religiously. More so when intensity and speed go up heading into the summer. I spent most of 2013-2019 breaking down during the track season at some point and went to a lot of physios, all of whom were good and each gave me a bit of the puzzle but I figured out that what I needed to stay uninjured was a better understanding of my different weaknesses in different situations. And it turned out to be sitting or being hunched over a laptop that was a greater contribution than running to me getting injured. So, S&C tends to be focused on the things that get worse when I do that. Short all-out hill sprints are very good for injury prevention. I also run mostly on grass, uneven trail with ups and downs, in the Phoenix Park. This helps with injury prevention too. (Another reason why XC is useful).

Do you run to compete?

Yes. I started running in my mid-30s just to see if I could run a marathon. But I was still a smoker then and if I hadn't joined a club and discovered track/xc and masters competition, I wouldn't have stuck with it. And I wouldn't have cut out smoking if I hadn't wanted to get more competitive.

I'm not that motivated by times and I find it much harder to get up for non-championship races. My childhood memories of athletics are of track meets from Crystal Palace and Gateshead on the BBC. So, it's always been a competitive sport to me and my strongest memories from my running are medals, competitions and sprint finishes, rather than pbs. I still want to improve though (which means faster pbs) but it's with a view to being more competitive at a higher level.

I'm not so competitive that I'd sacrifice more than 80mins a day to improve (I'm not looking to "be the best that I can be" e.g. I'm not going full-time or spending money on a running coach or strength coach) but I'm also not sure I could get myself out the door 6 or 7 times a week without the prospect of competition. I certainly couldn't have done the amount of running I did during lockdown without a competitive goal at the end of it.

I like the club and team aspect in club running, which is why i like xc. I'm not very good at / suited to xc so that's like a sociable form of competitive running, rather than a main focus.

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine?

Definitely not! Overall, the biggest indirect bonus from running has definitely been mental rather than physical.

Lifestyle or Hobby?

I'd say 'sport' and 'identity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Core core core. Probably the main S&C time investment is a stronger core. Stronger core, better runner... anyone disagree?

And a few or a pile of sit ups or crunches doesn't do it. Our core is built to twist and stretch and flex. The more variety to bring to S&C the more you are likely to enjoy it.

Form form form. Probably the main Mobility and or run drills time investment is better form. Better form, better runner... anyone disagree?

Again a few leg swings or lunges to get warm while you wait for GPS helps but doesn't cut the mustard. Mobility exercises particularly are proactive injury risk mitigation. Just moving muscles and joints side to side instead of forward and back constantly keep them suple and recover faster.

Running more of course helps. More miles, more workouts... more risk of breakdown. This is where the extra stuff with a mat, bands etc earns its time.

Most elite runners/athletes I follow are big advocates of doing accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Sacksian wrote: »
    Do you run easy run EASY? What is easy anyway?

Yes. My first mile is often close to 9mins and almost always near enough 8:30 pace. But I don't look at pace on the watch. Up until a few months ago, I just had cadence displayed on my watch - for injury prevention reasons, I could run in the 150s/low 160s if I allowed myself, which would injure me. Now, I have cadence and HR on the watch. But I don't really need to look at it.

Easy, for me, is any pace that doesn't interfere with the things that matter, such as being well rested for sessions or staying uninjured. If I drop mileage, my easy runs get faster. If I add mileage, they get slower.

Sometimes you might need to run even easier, particularly if you're building mileage or if you've hit a session particularly hard or if you've recently started doing 2 instead of 3 sessions a week, etc. Running hard days too hard can be as problematic as misjudging easy efforts.

Mostly, I think you should be aiming for sustainable consistency in your training.

And, from that perspective, I think it's probably more important to think of recovery, holistically, rather than obsessing about pace on your easy days. So too little sleep or too much stress can be more important than some idea of 'training load' taken without context. Depending on the circumstances, 40 easy miles might be harder to pull off some weeks than 60 miles with a couple of sessions.

I don't mind pulling a session or taking a day off if it's too much of a struggle, for whatever reason.

The problem with Strava (and Boards too) is that people see a pace and don't have the context to interpret it (conditions, sleep, stress, etc). That's also a problem for athletes if they don't take context into account in their training, and are trying to hit abstract paces rather than efforts. And this is why XC is so good. It teaches you to run according to conditions/course on the day and removes the stress of the watch.

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories?

Bits and pieces, not religiously. More so when intensity and speed go up heading into the summer. I spent most of 2013-2019 breaking down during the track season at some point and went to a lot of physios, all of whom were good and each gave me a bit of the puzzle but I figured out that what I needed to stay uninjured was a better understanding of my different weaknesses in different situations. And it turned out to be sitting or being hunched over a laptop that was a greater contribution than running to me getting injured. So, S&C tends to be focused on the things that get worse when I do that. Short all-out hill sprints are very good for injury prevention. I also run mostly on grass, uneven trail with ups and downs, in the Phoenix Park. This helps with injury prevention too. (Another reason why XC is useful).

Do you run to compete?

Yes. I started running in my mid-30s just to see if I could run a marathon. But I was still a smoker then and if I hadn't joined a club and discovered track/xc and masters competition, I wouldn't have stuck with it. And I wouldn't have cut out smoking if I hadn't wanted to get more competitive.

I'm not that motivated by times and I find it much harder to get up for non-championship races. My childhood memories of athletics are of track meets from Crystal Palace and Gateshead on the BBC. So, it's always been a competitive sport to me and my strongest memories from my running are medals, competitions and sprint finishes, rather than pbs. I still want to improve though (which means faster pbs) but it's with a view to being more competitive at a higher level.

I'm not so competitive that I'd sacrifice more than 80mins a day to improve (I'm not looking to "be the best that I can be" e.g. I'm not going full-time or spending money on a running coach or strength coach) but I'm also not sure I could get myself out the door 6 or 7 times a week without the prospect of competition. I certainly couldn't have done the amount of running I did during lockdown without a competitive goal at the end of it.

I like the club and team aspect in club running, which is why i like xc. I'm not very good at / suited to xc so that's like a sociable form of competitive running, rather than a main focus.

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine?

Definitely not! Overall, the biggest indirect bonus from running has definitely been mental rather than physical.

Lifestyle or Hobby?

I'd say 'sport' and 'identity'.

excellent post.

That's cool. I was only raising the question. I've been very clearly given an answer :pac:

I think beneath it all you're crying out to be challenged to a race by someone on here . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Bumping this, it got lost and I think it’s worth some discussion (maybe in relation to the ‘what is easy anyway’ part of the original Q).

Maybe the question should be turned around to ask ‘Do you run hard pace runs hard?’ Some runners who are more casual about it probably never get the HR up where it should be (some of the time).

Another thought - ‘lifestyle’ runners are not necessarily better runners. I’ve met a few serial parkrun tourist types for instance, who are totally caught up in the ‘cult of parkrun’ and travel to different events every weekend. By building their lives around parkrun they are almost certainly lifestyle runners (genuine hardcore members of the parkrun tourist subculture). Lovely people, and some of them are very good runners. But a good few are more casual about the performance part.

Which is fine. The point being ‘lifestyle’ vs ‘hobby’, while a marker of dedication and identity, is not necessarily related to ability or performance.

Is running their lifestyle or is parkrun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Lol been reading this and couldn't resist asking Alexa to play eye of the tiger!

Has anyone used the running version of Zwift on a treadmill? The reason I ask is if it has a feature to race an IA version of yourself? A virtual pacer or competitor, that is you?

A C2 rowing machine does to a simple extent, a pace boat. You can re-row/race any workout. I honestly feel after using it consistently for 4 months I was driven to beat myself.

If you had a pacer that you knew was you, there is literally no excuse.

I guess you can set a target pace on a watch but it is fun to compete with a moving object. How many of us have raced the traffic? Or some poor cyclist struggling up a hill?

Missed this, Garmin watches also have a similar feature to race yourself or beat the pacer, actually I've never used it but would be perfect for a solo TT (other than just setting a pace on your watch).

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner245/EN-US/GUID-30FAA18A-31DF-4CFB-9A1B-F52075FB5438.html

Advertisement