Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WFH Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

With the mixed weather ahead, it can be difficult to get outside for some exercise. A few tricks that I have been using to get myself out the door are:

- Action comes before motivation - Not the other way around.

- Count down from 5 and then just go - 5-4-3-2-1-..Up from the couch...runners on...out the door

- The hardest part will be opening the front door - After this, the rest is easy.

- Scale down/lower the threshold of what is required - The thoughts of going for a long walk or outdoor workout can be so daunting. Instead of all or nothing, I will try to think of it on a grey scale and that something is better than nothing. Just go for a 200 metre walk, do 5 pushups, stretch one muscle. More often than not, by the time I get started, I will enjoy it more than I thought and stay doing more. That, and pure stubbornness that I'm not after going to all of the trouble to get prepared and not have something to show for it. the opt-out option is always there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I put in a gym in the shed the day before lockdown 1 so if I’m sickeningly honest I am pretty insulated from all the madness.

For anyone interested in doing similar, I noticed Strength Shop has pre orders for their basic 2028 bar and budget power bar.

2028 pre order is here https://www.strengthshop.ie/olympic-bar.html

I’ve used a 2028 bar (and it’s predecessors). No frills but better “value” than a lot of other lower end barbells, or even mid range branded (but still China imported) barbells where you pay more for questionable reasons.

That’s a nice price. What’s the difference in these bars? I have a cheap bar that seems fine to me.

Great list of programmes by equipment here - taken from Cill94's newsletter, so thanks Cill!

https://www.elitefts.com/education/home-gym-and-at-home-workouts/?fbclid=IwAR3TwgcXwDSnYZkM5bFmlXTzI4EVzmvzMuHlhNsxkQxSFMs7QwvmcYqgrO4

Newsletter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Newsletter?

https://mailchi.mp/fe5aa1452f25/subscribenow

Anyone interested can subscribe for free. Content for next few weeks will be focused on how to make the most of training from home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

That’s a nice price. What’s the difference in these bars? I have a cheap bar that seems fine to me.

That's a great question.

The short answer is that the build quality of more expensive bars is significantly better. But how much that matters depends on the demands to be made upon the bar, and how long you expect it to last you.

If we compare the 2028 with the Ohio bar, for example, for the purposes... The 2028 is a great budget bar that I would have no problem buying myself. If someone can afford to spend more, though, then I think in the long term their experience is going to be better, but it's not essential.

The 2028 bar:-

- 28mm shaft is a strong selling point in comparison with other budget barbells that are often annoyingly chunky
    - E-coat / black oxide finish is preferable to chrome in a lot of people's view when it comes to grip
    - It may not be a true 20kg
    - Sleeve construction is usually iffy and in the long term will loosen, become noisy and ultimately puts a lifespan on this bar compared to more expensive, better constructed options
    - The sleeve construction and limited spin is also why they mention this bar is not suitable for Olympic lifts (and by extension, CrossFit style cross training)
    - Recommended load of 250kg is decent but this is for static lifts like bench, squat and deadlift on appropriate surfaces with control. Because it's 'straight steel' it will warp in some circumstances over time.
    - The limited 6 month warranty is worth bearing in mind in light of the above
    - Although knurling is listed as 'coarse' it's stamped on, not cut into the bar, and is pretty passive. Not necessarily a bad thing for most people especially novices
    - Strength Shop customer service is good and overall this is a great bar for novices and intermediates who are on a budget
    - I would expect to either want to or have to replace this bar in about five years tops, however

The Rogue Ohio bar:-

- Made in the USA
    - Lifetime warranty
    - 28.5mm diamater also grand
    - Sleeves will spin moderately well, making this a bar you can Olympic weightlift or do CrossFit style training with. A true Olympic weightlifting bar is going to be in a different price point so, IMO, not fair to be overly hard on the Ohio bar in terms of its sleeve rotation
    - Knurling is deliberately fairly passive to accommodate Olympic lifts but is cut into the bar, not stamped, so it is uniform and better quality
    - Sleeve construction and overall engineering of the bar and sleeves is such that it can withstand drops, Olympic lifts and is generally likely to last a significant amount of time in comparison with a budget bar. If not abused then certainly 10+ years
    - Significantly better quality steel is used, load rating not an issue

For someone who is mainly practising the static lifts (bench, squat, press, deadlift) and is not going to ever use it for Olympic lifts or power cleans or any variation of them then I would also recommend looking at the Ohio Power bar over the regular Ohio bar, which is a stiffer bar again, with coarser knurling for a better grip, different sleeve construction and has centre knurling to improve stability on the back squat.

Price wise I would consider an Ohio bar to be upper middle of the bar market. It's actually not megabucks for what you get. If someone wants a bar for Olympic weightlifting they can expect to spend at least another couple of hundred euros again on top of that for what they are likely to want.

Great explanation. Thank you.
    For someone like myself, I’ll be using my bar 3-4 times a week for static lifts only. I’d imagine it’ll last a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Although knurling is listed as 'coarse' it's stamped on, not cut into the bar, and is pretty passive. Not necessarily a bad thing for most people especially novices

I remember my first comp and thinking I'd need a skin graft after squats.

The decent bars in the gym had been ruined by flutes doing who rack pulls and the straighter ones were Jordan bars with their gentle knurling so the Eleiko bar was a new ball game

I remember my first comp and thinking I'd need a skin graft after squats.

The decent bars in the gym had been ruined by flutes doing who rack pulls and the straighter ones were Jordan bars with their gentle knurling so the Eleiko bar was a new ball game

I remember the first time I used a Texas power bar, I found the knurling a real shock. Tore open my shins immediately when deadlifting, made the rest of the session interesting.

It was part of what steered me towards buying an Ohio power bar over the Texas power bar... The knurling is still aggressive but I felt like the Texas power bar was actually masochistic. Don't know whether they're all like that one was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Texas Powerbar massacre :D:D

• Advertisement

Texas Powerbar massacre :D:D

Oh stop it, you rogue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Patsy167 wrote: »
    How is everyone's WFH experience going?
    ?

For my lower body - I took the genesis of this article https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/no-weights-big-wheels
    Normally I like Paul Carter but I feel that after 300 (per leg) walking lunges any other work on quads etc...is just wasted volume

so I set it up like this - twice a week Tues/ Fri

mobility

calf raises - BW x 10 reps, then 2 sets to failure 5 sec hold at top and bottom.

seated leg curl - work up to 2 red bands (wrapped around table leg) then 3 sets to 15 - slow and squeeze each rep at top and 10 sec hold on rep 15. Mind muscle connection v important here or (imo) it's a wasted exercise.

walking Lunges - as per article. 325 per leg this week .

Glute bridges - 2 sets to fail with 5 sec hold at top for each rep.

This is going well and I plan to run with this and the progressions in the article for the 6 weeks of the lockdown or till gym reopen.
    I wasn't never into walking lunges much so this is the challenge and the progression I'm aiming for .

Also do upper body twice a week but this isn't going as well , getting the work done but last lockdown I used playground and park but weather been sh1t and it's dark now in morning.
    usually do a complete run of the upper body part with bands/push ups
    - selection of band 1 orange, 2 red , 1 green , 1 med ball and create something that way. finish with abs like hollow holds.

cos of weather I've been confined to the kitchen on upper body day which limits me a bit.

Also did some sea swimming and walking this week.
    I'll be working in the conditioning aspect from "never gymless" (ross training) from this week that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I think it's important not to get disheartened if things aren't working and remember this is mostly new and awkward and will take time to feel about and get something that you are happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The knurling in the Ohio bar is nice. Barely ever need chalk with mixed grip. Hands get used to it after a few weeks.

My gym has an eliteFTS power bar. Now THAT has masochistic knurling. Hands even hurt after benching with it.

The guy behind the popular barbell linear progress program, Greyskull LP, has a free 60 page ebook with bodyweight home workout programming.

Skimmed it, it’s a solid option, and nicely varied.

Don’t be put off by his gangsta appearance, it’s smart programming.

https://quarantactics.gr8.com/

training outside is miserable these mornings.

:mad:

paw patrol wrote: »
    seated leg curl - work up to 2 red bands (wrapped around table leg) then 3 sets to 15

When I tried this, the band just slides up my leg at the top.

• Advertisement

When I tried this, the band just slides up my leg at the top.

I’ve found you can stop that if you lower the height of the band and/or elevate whatever you’re sitting on using pillows or something.

Cill94 wrote: »
    I’ve found you can stop that if you lower the height of the band and/or elevate whatever you’re sitting on using pillows or something.

I just had it on my instep and had my toes pointed down. It didn't happen on every rep but a couple of times a set and just got annoying.

I just had it on my instep and had my toes pointed down. It didn't happen on every rep but a couple of times a set and just got annoying.

Personally find around the back of the heel easiest but I mostly just do glute ham raises instead now as I can’t be arsed with all the set-up of the band!

Personally find around the back of the heel easiest but I mostly just do glute ham raises instead now as I can’t be arsed with all the set-up of the band!

That's for hamstring curls, no?

I meant for leg extensions. I've targeted the quads other ways but just found it annoying with the bands.

That's for hamstring curls, no?

I meant for leg extensions. I've targeted the quads other ways but just found it annoying with the bands.

sorry I meant ham string curls seated.
    I lean my torso forward , grip seat of the chair with my hands too.

As Cill says - band close to ankle seems to work for me

• Advertisement

sorry I meant ham string curls seated.
    I lean my torso forward , grip seat of the chair with my hands too.

As Cill says - band close to ankle seems to work for me

Ah ok. Yeah, hamstring curls are less annoying alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If anyone is short of band exercise ideas, plenty here. Biggest problem I have is nothing very stable in the house to wrap bands around, doors and Piano are about the height of it. finding the park good combining sprints and using goal posts for rows and a few others.

One legged glute bridge is coming on, thats a keeper

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ah ok. Yeah, hamstring curls are less annoying alright.

yeah for sure, I can't get the leg ext to work in a similar fashion - like you it climbs up my leg.

so previously i did high rep squats and this time lunges.

yeah for sure, I can't get the leg ext to work in a similar fashion - like you it climbs up my leg.

so previously i did high rep squats and this time lunges.

Yeah same. It's just so much less hassle to do lunges, split squats etc.

Have a wedge as well for elevating the heels this time so I used it last night for split squats and tried it for Platz squats but need to do much higher reps when it's not single leg and that just aggravates my hip but elevating the heels definitely adds a little spice to the quad work.

Can't tell if they're in that YouTube video above on band exercises, but for posterior chain options I would think banded pull throughs are probably one of the less fiddly options available.

You need a decent fixed point to attach the band to, of course, and probably ideally a band with a decent tension, which means quite a strong or heavy object like a sturdy fence railing or a post of some kind.

https://redefiningstrength.com/band-pull-thru/

https://drjohnrusin.com/pull-through/

Years ago I was at a seminar with Andy Bolton and he was trying to show seated banded leg curls and he couldn't get it properly set up himself, the band kept slipping off.

I go cracked when there's no centre knurling on the bar for squats

bluewolf wrote: »

I go even more cracked when there is no centre knurling on the bar I don't have.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Out of curiosity, why?

I used a bar without centre knurling a while back and thought it would wreck my head, but I don't think it made much of a difference. That part doesn't really sit on my back.

Out of curiosity, why?

I used a bar without centre knurling a while back and thought it would wreck my head, but I don't think it made much of a difference. That part doesn't really sit on my back.

Plays on your mind more than anything else...until you get to a certain point where the risk of it moving a little on your back.

Out of curiosity, why?

despite the bracing and it sitting on whatever those shoulder shelves are, it slides on my back
    i wear the slippy wicking fitness tops which doesnt help

• Advertisement

despite the bracing and it sitting on whatever those shoulder shelves are, it slides on my back
    i wear the slippy wicking fitness tops which doesnt help

If you're not wearing an A7 bar grip shirt, do you even lift?

I think a lot of the points raised in the below article were becoming very common in Irish commercial gyms.

The temporary closure of gyms may allow people to re-evaluate why they are using the gym.

"Body dysmorphia in some young, muscular men is causing them to see themselves as small, leading to depression and steroid abuse, an expert has said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54733684

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I think a lot of the points raised in the below article were becoming very common in Irish commercial gyms.

The temporary closure of gyms may allow people to re-evaluate why they are using the gym.

"Body dysmorphia in some young, muscular men is causing them to see themselves as small, leading to depression and steroid abuse, an expert has said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54733684

It's a good point and something that has been commented on about gyms closing. If your mental health is very dependent on the gym, then that's a problem.

Exercise and, by extension, access to a gym is obviously a positive thing.

However, the reasons people go can be positive and negative.

Many years ago now, I posted here about experience with an eating disorder and through the CBT process, there was an examination of the reasons behind going to the gym, ie was it merely painting over the cracks or was it a force for good. It transpired it was the latter but I can see how it could be a negative in some circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Out of curiosity, why?

Thinly veiled "traps of steel" post :P:P

I high bar squat and definitely find it feels a bit slippy with a dri-fit top or whatever - I hate it, but I have no traps. It was only after the first time it happened that I thought it felt odd, and hadn't even considered there might be a difference (a bar is a bar right?) so I definitely think for some people's set up it can feel less grippy

I low bar squat and although the knurling isnt exactly gripping the bar in place, I do find it helps mentally. I also find it very useful when centring myself on the bar.

I regret finding my ab wheel.

All kinds of DOMS

I regret finding my ab wheel.

All kinds of DOMS

I’ve been looking for mine recently. Think I’ll leave it lost

I’ve been looking for mine recently. Think I’ll leave it lost

10/10 recommend not looking for it

10/10 recommend not looking for it

Looking for what?

• Advertisement

Looking for what?

That's the spirit.

Aldi have some very timely offers in store tomorrow - https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/155401/14/

The slam ball and weighted bag look like very good value

Thanks Patsy167. Weighted bag for me please. :)

Here we go again though. Sigh.

I recently got into Sydney Cummings youtube workouts. She's a former track athlete from the US but is NOT annoying give or take a wee bit of US razzmatazz. She really knows what she's doing and the instruction level and pacing is really good for beginner/intermediate through experienced level I think. I've trained a bit of everything over the years and think she's great - now it won't push the more experienced, but it's good and moves along quickly without her faffing around at all.
    She breaks her daily workouts 7 different dumbbell based sets: generally two days upper body push/pull, two lower body and two HIIT/Cardio and stretch rest day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Anyone knowif they came in .

Was in a local store in mayo and staff said they didn’t come in but yet they had posters apologising for items that didn’t come in .
    Strange how posters could be printed of the items so quickly. Also heard they were not being let out on shop floors .

Did anyone else get them in their store .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭obi604

Now with gyms closed, looking to buy a few things.
    Which of these would be best

1. A door frame pull up bar
    2. Tall parallette bars

The tall parallette bars seem to be fairly versatile. Can do back, dips, biceps etc.

obi604 wrote: »

2. Tall parallette bars

The tall parallette bars seem to be fairly versatile. Can do back, dips, biceps etc.

I think I'd go for the pull-up bar actually. Here's why.

Most people can find a way to do paralette exercises by using household furniture. Dips can be done between 2 chairs, and rows can be done from under a table (depending on how solid it is). You can also easily make push-ups more challenging with no equipment.

Pull-ups on the other hand are usually much harder to do safely with furniture, and are a really great strengthening exercise to invest in.

I guess it really comes down to what you are already able to do at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

obi604 wrote: »

2. Tall parallette bars

Pull up bar all the way, you can find things to do dips etc on (though I hate doing that). Even ahead of squat rack etc. the pull up bar is my favourite bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭obi604

Pull up bar all the way, you can find things to do dips etc on (though I hate doing that). Even ahead of squat rack etc. the pull up bar is my favourite bit of kit.

Interesting. I thought people may have said go with the tall parallettes.

gotta admit i've no motivation or interest

it hasn't happened since gym closed.

I found last time that I faff about more than I should. I don't know why. That just made the training last longer than it should and the longer it went on, the harder I found it to be upstairs working all day and then go train in a spare room and be in all day.

So what I might do instead of doing a workout every 2/3 days, break them in 2 and so 30-40 mins 5/6 evenings. The shorter spells will make it easier to do/less easy to skip, mentally,

gotta admit i've no motivation or interest

it hasn't happened since gym closed.

I hear you...only just got back into it. Largely because I knew I'd feel worse not doing anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement