Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I hate to say it but I think it might be too easy also. I went from the vanarama to championship playoffs in 6 seasons with a team that's tipped for relegation at the start of every season. I'm delighted to actually be winning in one of these games for a change but going on 25 match unbeaten runs just isn't realistic with the team I have.

Have to admit, seeing people say it's so easy encourages me to buy it.

My main love of FM has always been scouting and buying players. I nearly see it as a DoF simulator, rather than a manager one. But I found the last few years that it was quite difficult, and so I'd spend hours scouting players, only to struggle with motivation in between transfer windows.

I'd actually quite appreciate a game where results come easier :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have to admit, seeing people say it's so easy encourages me to buy it.

My main love of FM has always been scouting and buying players. I nearly see it as a DoF simulator, rather than a manager one. But I found the last few years that it was quite difficult, and so I'd spend hours scouting players, only to struggle with motivation in between transfer windows.

I'd actually quite appreciate a game where results come easier :P
    2019 was the first time I encountered this really. Players not taking that next step to develop despite having 4-5 star potential and playing in the PL and not getting above 7th or so. Maybe there was a mix and they made it harder for the likes of Oldham to make the final step but there were just inexplicable runs of results season after season. 1 or 2 you can accept as it happens in real life but when the quality regens aren't showing up 8 years down the line but the top teams seem to be just as good it was a bit frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I may have spoke too soon! My climb through the divisions has stalled in the championship for the moment at least. Last few seasons have all been lower mid table with several losing streaks. But that is probably accurate position for my current team.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

and the full release is now live

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

and the full release is now live

Touch version out yet? Can't see it on the play store, only mobile version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Started with Cambridge United as I always do and got them from League 2 to the Championship in 2 years, back to back promotion.

Got head hunted by Spurs and I didn't do much from then on

I also think its easier then previous versions

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

tgdaly wrote: »
    Touch version out yet? Can't see it on the play store, only mobile version

according to their twitter, yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Haven’t played this is years after religiously playing it for years! Mainly due to having a laptop that couldn’t support it but now I’ve a desktop too so I’m going to buy it today.

Probably a stupid question but is it better to buy the disk or purchase the download via steam or is there any difference at all?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

gstack166 wrote: »
    Haven’t played this is years after religiously playing it for years! Mainly due to having a laptop that couldn’t support it but now I’ve a desktop too so I’m going to buy it today.

Probably a stupid question but is it better to buy the disk or purchase the download via steam or is there any difference at all?

Thanks

Do you need the disc in while playing it? That would get annoying. Other than an internet connection that ain't great I can't see why you'd go for disc

You'll get instant keys from the likes of cdkeys or shopto, cheaper than directly through steam and I'd imagine cheaper than disc as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Do you need the disc in while playing it? That would get annoying. Other than an internet connection that ain't great I can't see why you'd go for disc

You'll get instant keys from the likes of cdkeys or shopto, cheaper than directly through steam and I'd imagine cheaper than disc as well

Thanks for that, I see it’s €32 on cdkeys. Why is that? Is there a catch? Over €23 of a saving from the steam website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

gstack166 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I see it’s €32 on cdkeys. Why is that? Is there a catch? Over €23 of a saving from the steam website.

Nope no catch whatsoever. Dont know why but just the way its always been

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is the touch version any use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any black Friday offers for the game ???

Are you allowed sync between the PC and phone/tablet version ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

bffc7b46e250b3b37cbac5804a5e4041.png
    9d6ac6d1017020146d106b4b37c6c05d.png
    f9e4307ab2f790d03177309157e29c1f.png

Is the touch version any use ?

I've bought the last three touch ones and very little difference between any of them. Gets repetitive fair quickly.

I played 2019 alottttttttt but already bored of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There's so many annoying things wrong with 2020 that you know won't be fixed, because there are some bugs in there from years ago that haven't been removed. Wide players still cannot square a ball. It wouldn't matter if they were on the byline and their 10 teammates were wide open at the penalty spot, they'd still shoot into the side netting. Despite what Miles Jacobsen might say, this is a bug. A player should not have to be trained for 6 months to square a football.

Players at lower levels this year cannot finish. Maybe it's the same at higher levels. I've scored 22 goals in 14 games so far this season, but I'd have at least 40 if it wasn't for the horrendous finishing. Most of the time they'll just smash it straight at the keeper when 1 v 1. I've seen others complain about this too.

There are other cosmetic things like regen faces or the hilariously bad animations in the 3D match engine that have been the same for YEARS. I don't particularly care about these things, but it's more evidence of SI's laziness and lack of effort. They own the entire market and have no competition, so why bother putting in the effort I suppose?

Jacobsen's trainwreck AMA on the FM subreddit a few years ago gave us all a decent insight into how they are at SI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Oat23 wrote: »
    There's so many annoying things wrong with 2020 that you know won't be fixed, because there are some bugs in there from years ago that haven't been removed. Wide players still cannot square a ball. It wouldn't matter if they were on the byline and their 10 teammates were wide open at the penalty spot, they'd still shoot into the side netting. Despite what Miles Jacobsen might say, this is a bug. A player should not have to be trained for 6 months to square a football.

Players at lower levels this year cannot finish. Maybe it's the same at higher levels. I've scored 22 goals in 14 games so far this season, but I'd have at least 40 if it wasn't for the horrendous finishing. Most of the time they'll just smash it straight at the keeper when 1 v 1. I've seen others complain about this too.

There are other cosmetic things like regen faces or the hilariously bad animations in the 3D match engine that have been the same for YEARS. I don't particularly care about these things, but it's more evidence of SI's laziness and lack of effort. They own the entire market and have no competition, so why bother putting in the effort I suppose?

Jacobsen's trainwreck AMA on the FM subreddit a few years ago gave us all a decent insight into how they are at SI.

Jacobsen is a very funny character. He said in Facebook a few years back that Steam was the cheapest place to buy his game. I argued that this was not the case, a point which he contested. I replied with about a dozen places to buy it cheaper, with hyperlinks (e.g. one of the websites mentioned above) He went absolutely apesh*t, but it just shows how out of touch they are at SI these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

So is it not worth getting then? I find myself playing FM17 more so than 18 and didn't get 19

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So is it not worth getting then? I find myself playing FM17 more so than 18 and didn't get 19

Been playing full version for past week or so and enjoying it pal. Some new features make it feel a bit fresher to me but I haven't played fm properly for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Ayala didn't get the memo about the change of jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Finding it impossible to score against teams with 5 at the back, it's like my team just gives up, tried every tactic nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really wish there was a way of simulating a match in the full version. Feel its drags on having to play about 40+ games a season (I knw you can go on holiday but then the assistant gets all the praise lol)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Really wish there was a way of simulating a match in the full version. Feel its drags on having to play about 40+ games a season (I knw you can go on holiday but then the assistant gets all the praise lol)

https://www.fmscout.com/a-wannachup-fm20-instant-result-skin.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cause I was bored over the break, started up a game of Football Manager, to vent my desires for a rebuild. Can't do much in the first season, due to budget restraints, contracts, etc.

Won the league in Year One, but had a piss poor CL run.

But in the Summer of '20, the clearout begins and so does the rebuild. All culminated with me embracing my inner muppet.

MZktvdI.png

Had to give him an insane contract with €6m goal bonuses for every 5 goals he scores. It will bankrupt the club but screw it, I'm Mr Short Term :P

Which led to this...

teWj9fT.png

No ****, Sherlock.

Ins so far (still want to sign a new LB)

L7UtlY9.png

fL70j0p.png

Outs so far (Martial to join the list soon...)

tb5GoGf.png
    W3ykgnm.png

Next up....Messi....

One thing they haven't fixed is having a team that goes unbeaten 40 games in a row, and then when you finally lose it's like the players have never met each other before going on a ten game winless run, forgetting how to score a goal. It's terrible. This was with Barcelona btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Getting really annoyed with players requesting new contracts this year. Playing as Manchester United (first time I've stuck with them in years despite always picking them first) and I capitulated to contract requests from Haaland, Fernandes & Ruben Dias giving each one a rise to £200k a week for only an extra year. I'd normally tell them to get stuffed but we were in an unexpected title race after me shockingly not getting the sack from a 7th place finish the season before (thank you FA Cup) and I needed them happy.

Now the 3 of those are amazing, Bruno was POTY for me & Dias is a rock. I'm not getting the best out of Haaland annoyingly but anyway, he's worth it. Summer comes and Jadon Sancho wants a new deal. He only has two years left so why not but it's worth mentioning he has massively under-performed. He only has 10 league goals in 85 games and is coming off a season where he got 4 goals & 5 assists in all competitions & an average rating of 6.86, losing his spot to Daniel James in the process and only regaining it when James broke his ankle in April. Not a great return for £80m & £155k a week. He has the cheek to request £300k a week and when negotiating the agent went straight back to 300k with the orange warning. **** right off!

I didn't win the league fwiw, drew with City 2nd last game of the season with Haaland missing three clear cut chances in the 2nd half. Last game didn't matter cos Liverpool won their match but we lost to Norwich & came second by 4 points. Yearly review says I failed the original requirement to challenge for the title - it went to the final day. How much more of a challenge can I do without winning it?! We then lost the Europa League final 2-0 to Porto so safe the say I'm not best pleased with my group of bottlers which makes Sancho's demands even more frustrating. I really needed that rant :pac:

Yep the contracts are very annoying, requesting a new contract 9 months into a 5 year deal, it's not realistic. I just keep telling them they're an important member of the squad and that seems to shut them up for a while. I've got Maddison, Tonali, Telles and Haaland all whinging. And also after winning the league and champions league Pogba still wants to move to a bigger club!

Squad: We feel the squad is lacking depth and you need to do something about it quick

Agrees and sign a few players in the transfer window.

PlayerX: Is new signing John Joe here to replace me. i need assurances of my place in the team

:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Kiith wrote: »

Also here's a link on how to download 01/02 with current squads

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1239873049039646720

Advertisement