Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarkets - the Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In Dunnes this morning. About 60% of customers wearing masks. None of the Dunnes Store workers were wearing masks. Even the lady manning the deli counter had no mask on which I thought was very bad.

I was in my local Tesco's and SuperValu, mask wearing definitely a minority ( wearing correctly an even smaller group). Although people following the SD and hand hygiene advice. Non of the staff wearing masks and to be honest for an extended period of time unless mandatory I wouldn't wear one either. Better for a customer to wear for the duration of there shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In Dunnes and local Centra over the last few days, very few masks to be seen.

Supermarkets have got back to almost normal around me. People just strolling in for a fee items and looking around,
    Even the place that was strict about only allowing one person per family in sort of gave up doing it because the shop used be almost empty with the policy and people shopped else where.
    Masks usage is very low amongst the staff and customers.
    People seem a lot happier in the shops again.
    Part of that comfort is the sense that people think they are low risk locations. I still see people making an effort to distance anyway.

Probably time to start bulk shopping now again. I’d expect to see things very busy again from this weekend now that it’s on the spread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I've still got a press full of pasta that I haven't made much of a dent in, were we expecting food shortages and power outages, bulk buying non perishables incase the electricity grid went out...?

I think we'll be grand

I've still got a press full of pasta that I haven't made much of a dent in, were we expecting food shortages and power outages, bulk buying non perishables incase the electricity grid went out...?

I think we'll be grand

I ate all mine so I may get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I was in my local Tesco's and SuperValu, mask wearing definitely a minority ( wearing correctly an even smaller group). Although people following the SD and hand hygiene advice. Non of the staff wearing masks and to be honest for an extended period of time unless mandatory I wouldn't wear one either. Better for a customer to wear for the duration of there shop.

Totally agree. After about 5-10 mins in a shop I start to find my mask uncomfortable and hot. Can’t imagine what it would be like having to wear one all day/for an entire work shift.

I think they should be mandatory for customers, but it would be tough making them the same for staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

EDit wrote: »
    Totally agree. After about 5-10 mins in a shop I start to find my mask uncomfortable and hot. Can’t imagine what it would be like having to wear one all day/for an entire work shift.

I think they should be mandatory for customers, but it would be tough making them the same for staff

If masks are going to be mandatory the government needs to distribute them for free to the people.

People won’t buy them, we already know that so if it is to become mandatory they need to be made available for free or at least at a stupidly low price.

I saw 3 for €4 in a shop the other day. People won’t spend money on that.

And if they do become mandatory who polices it?

Never gonna happen unless people get given them for free

If masks are going to be mandatory the government needs to distribute them for free to the people.

People won’t buy them, we already know that so if it is to become mandatory they need to be made available for free or at least at a stupidly low price.

If they become mandatory people won’t be able to buy them anyway because we always have the opportunists that will bulk buy and stick them on Donedeal for double. We definitely need them given out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Sorry but thats a bit pathetic of us as a nation if true - like people surely have some personal responsibility to buy masks.

Obviously I'd support some assistance for genuinely low income families, but the vast majority should be able to sort themselves out. Covid has been weird in ways, some costs are up but others are down so surely people can afford a mask or two.

They had tonnes of different options in Lidl just the other day, masks are now widely available.

You can buy reusable ones for about €5 and then just wash it after wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SozBbz wrote: »
    Sorry but thats a bit pathetic of us as a nation if true - like people surely have some personal responsibility to buy masks.
    Obviously I'd support some assistance for genuinely low income families, but the vast majority should be able to sort themselves out. Covid has been weird in ways, some costs are up but others are down so surely people can afford a mask or two.
    They had tonnes of different options in Lidl just the other day, masks are now widely available.

What could help to get things going as a 'kickstarter' and also for low income is that if you are collecting a medical card prescription you get a free pack of masks as a once off. This might create a domino effect where more people start wearing them, other people see that, and say oh I should start wearing one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Just purchase a few reuseable ones that can be washed, and you're good for the rest of the year.

IQO wrote: »
    Just purchase a few reuseable ones that can be washed, and you're good for the rest of the year.

Or make them yourself out of any old piece of cotton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Plenty of designs for masks out there but masks do come in all shapes and sizes and not one size fits all.Gone through a number of ones trying to find one suitable from elastic band round the ears and popping off to ones with velchro at the back of the neck.Machine washable is handy but how clean is your washing machine??.Maybe after use milton or dettol ??.

I have heard a few saying they are warm and uncomfortable and yes can agree.Would wearing a face shield be easier as it does protect most of the face and not bothersome to wear.

Did they not suggest earlier in the year scarves and other things could be used if of good quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

greasepalm wrote: »
    Plenty of designs for masks out there but masks do come in all shapes and sizes and not one size fits all.Gone through a number of ones trying to find one suitable from elastic band round the ears and popping off to ones with velchro at the back of the neck.Machine washable is handy but how clean is your washing machine??.Maybe after use milton or dettol ??.
    well, not sure how other "shop bought fabric masks" are, I got few of mines from a french pharmacy, and copy here from the printed instructions: wash at 60 degrees on a short cycle after each use for a maximum of 4 hours with a conventional detergent, and ... it is washable about 30 times.

• Advertisement

Have a look around. Very few people are wearing them.

Why? Because they cost money.

Nothing to do with low income or high income.

It’s because people don’t want to spend money on something that isn’t deemed mandatory.

They should be made available for free because otherwise we’ll see people buy all the stock and sell at an inflated price.

If the government is serious about containing this disease they need to make sure that people don’t have an excuse for not wearing a mask.

Have a look around. Very few people are wearing them.

Why? Because they cost money.

Nothing to do with low income or high income.

It’s because people don’t want to spend money on something that isn’t deemed mandatory.

They should be made available for free because otherwise we’ll see people buy all the stock and sell at an inflated price.

If the government is serious about containing this disease they need to make sure that people don’t have an excuse for not wearing a mask.

Sorry, but I disagree that just accepting that is good enough.

And facecoverings are mandatory now. I hope to see enforcement ramped up and people made an example of if necessary.

Masks can be made from an old cotton tshirt. Scarves or bandanas can be tied around the face.

People are just ignorant and obsinant and in some cases just contrary and they need to cop on.

I don't believe that the govt should always have to step in to make people do the right thing. The same idiots would bang on about the nanny state if they were handed masks. You can't win with some people.

Sorry, but I disagree that just accepting that is good enough.

And facecoverings are mandatory now. I hope to see enforcement ramped up and people made an example of if necessary.

Masks can be made from an old cotton tshirt. Scarves or bandanas can be tied around the face.

People are just ignorant and obsinant and in some cases just contrary and they need to cop on.

I don't believe that the govt should always have to step in to make people do the right thing. The same idiots would bang on about the nanny state if they were handed masks. You can't win with some people.
    €15 of a pack of masks is quite an expense for some and not everyone is arts and crafty. Are you also OK with a €2500 fine for trying to buy a litre of milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Local supervalu has a 3 pack of 3 ply cotton reusable washable masks for €5.99. I think most people can manage that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

is_that_so wrote: »
    €15 of a pack of masks is quite an expense for some and not everyone is arts and crafty. Are you also fine with a €2500 fine for trying to buy a litre of milk?
    It's not exactly arts and crafts....you can make a face covering in about 20 seconds with a bandana and some hair bobbles.
    I managed to follow a tutorial to make one from a t-shirt and it took about 10 minutes and I have never used a needle and thread in my life.

There are also a tonne of options to buy at a reasonable enough price reusable ones.
    Even somewhere like adidas are making them now....you can get 3 reusable masks for 15 euro, 2 layers and little holder where you could even stick a filter if you want.

Btw I don't find them a joy to wear especially with glasses but hey I can see the greater good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

greasepalm wrote: »

Did they not suggest earlier in the year scarves and other things could be used if of good quality

This was when they were in the

Masks might be a good idea or might not phase but if they are a good idea we want cocooners to have first call so lets send people to something else.

Now that they are sure it's a good idea they want everyone to wear them and not take half measures.

€15 of a pack of masks is quite an expense for some and not everyone is arts and crafty. Are you also OK with a €2500 fine for trying to buy a litre of milk?

Firstly, there is no prizes for best or prettiest mask so I don't see what arts and crafts have to do with it. There are extremely simple ways to comply.

Secondly we both know that noone is going to get the maximum penalty unless they cause an absolute scene and/or are a persistent offender in which case they deserve it. But I'd be happy to see people fined, yes. The UK are doing £100 on the spot fines, that seems appropriate.

Finally, no one is getting fined for buying milk. They would be fined for disobeying public health regulations which are there to protect everyone. The rights of the majority to be kept safe trump the rights of the minority to not wear a mask in my opinion. If they feel strongly, let them order their milk for delivery.

gmisk wrote: »
    It's not exactly arts and crafts....you can make a face covering in about 20 seconds with a bandana and some hair bobbles.
    I managed to follow a tutorial to make one from a t-shirt and it took about 10 minutes and I have never used a needle and thread in my life.

There are also a tonne of options to buy at a reasonable enough price reusable ones.
    Even somewhere like adidas are making them now....you can get 3 reusable masks for 15 euro, 2 layers and little holder where you could even stick a filter if you want.

Btw I don't find them a joy to wear especially with glasses but hey I can see the greater good.
    This is still an unexpected cost to some people, which has not been factored into the sudden announcement.

This is still an unexpected cost to some people, which has not been factored into the sudden announcement.

I've already said id be somewhat in favour to people on low incomes maybe having some provided, but to everyone else;

1. what rock have you been living under if you couldn't foresee masks being made mandatory for at least the last few weeks. this should not come as a surprise to anyone with half a brain.

2. as already stated, you can make your own mask from common household items. buying is easier, but its not the only way to comply so cost doesnt really come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Maybe now with compulsory mask wearing, people may actually start shopping on their own rather than a family day out.

Random one item shops may also stop.

It will work out expensive if you need 2 or 3 masks each shopping trip, a couple of times a week.

Firstly, there is no prizes for best or prettiest mask so I don't see what arts and crafts have to do with it. There are extremely simple ways to comply.

Secondly we both know that noone is going to get the maximum penalty unless they cause an absolute scene and/or are a persistent offender in which case they deserve it. But I'd be happy to see people fined, yes. The UK are doing £100 on the spot fines, that seems appropriate.

Finally, no one is getting fined for buying milk. They would be fined for disobeying public health regulations which are there to protect everyone. The rights of the majority to be kept safe trump the rights of the minority to not wear a mask in my opinion. If they feel strongly, let them order their milk for delivery.
    They planned to just extend the travel regulations, which would be a whopping utterly disproportionate fine. Unlike you, I'm all for personal responsibility and people making the right choices. We've all learnt things during this, about ourselves and others. Some of it has not been pleasant.

Maybe now with compulsory mask wearing, people may actually start shopping on their own rather than a family day out.

It will work out expensive if you need 2 or 3 masks each shopping trip, a couple of times a week.

Two reusable masks in Lidl €5 not terribly expensive and certainly will have no bearing on anyone who wishes to go shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,506 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes starting to creep back in 4 or 5 people going around in a group to shop with their kids running around the place like stray dogs.

They planned to just extend the travel regulations, which would be a whopping utterly disproportionate fine. Unlike you, I'm all for personal responsibility and people making the right choices. We've all learnt things during this, about ourselves and others. Some of it has not been pleasant.

Personal responsibility would be great if all people were actually responsible and not selfish.

However, we know thats not the case, so it has to be mandatory because the wearing of masks only works if everyone does it. Its not fair to vast majority who will comply if a few can undermine their efforts for no particular reason other than they just don't want to.

Personal responsibility is fine when it comes to choices like smoking - if you want to smoke at home to your hearts content then go for it. But you're not allowed inflict that choice on others by bringing your smoke into public, enclosed areas and allowing others to suffer the consequences for your actions. The smoking ban is widely complied with and this should be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People are back shopping in pairs again, kids back, etc and I can’t see it changing.
    They are also back just buying one item.

A lot of those who wear masks are just reusing the same one until it snaps or becomes to dirty.

I’m at work now. No customers are wearing them. Only a few extra people are wearing them out on about really.

• Advertisement

Two reusable masks in Lidl €5 not terribly expensive and certainly will have no bearing on anyone who wishes to go shopping.

No it's not terribly expensive.

However if you have a family group of 4 (saw a group like this on Monday, so it is happening) you will have an initial purchase price of €10, for that shopping trip alone.

Now, by rights, those masks need to be washed and dried, before next wearing, so unless you are putting on a wash each night, you will need another tenners worth of masks for tmw, etc.

For me that would be alot of hassle, four masks would get me 4 weeks of shopping.

However if you have a family group of 4 (saw a group like this on Monday, so it is happening) you will have an initial purchase price of €10, for that shopping trip alone.

Now, by rights, those masks need to be washed and dried, before next wearing, so unless you are putting on a wash each night, you will need another tenners worth of masks for tmw, etc.

For me that would be alot of hassle, four masks would get me 4 weeks of shopping.

Well, for a start, the whole family of 4 don't need to come shopping.

You can wash the masks separately. I put mine in a basin with a small bit of detergent and pour kettle over them and then rinse them. Takes only a few minutes. I hang them either out on the line or in the hot press depending on the weather. They've never not been dry for the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are we sure the mandatory mask wearing in supermarkets applies to under 12s? In the UK it does not.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I have a neighbour quite good with a sewing machine. Made masks for all the neighbours. Admittedly not many of us. Got three each. Honestly I can't see this hassle you are seeing. People are used to shopping again, the mandatory (it isn't just yet) wearing of masks will make little difference tbh to their habits.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are we sure the mandatory mask wearing in supermarkets applies to under 12s? In the UK it does not.

If a a child under 13 is not required to wear one on public transport I doubt it will be mandatory in a far more open space like a Supermarket.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Pretty sure its 13 and under here are exempt - thats what they said for public transport.

I have a neighbour quite good with a sewing machine. Made masks for all the neighbours. Admittedly not many of us. Got three each. Honestly I can't see this hassle you are seeing. People are used to shopping again, the mandatory (it isn't just yet) wearing of masks will make little difference tbh to their habits.

It’s very little hassle to be honest.
    I know supermarket workers and they’ve told people shopping by themselves to bring back their companions and not leave them at home.

Well, for a start, the whole family of 4 don't need to come shopping.

You can wash the masks separately. I put mine in a basin with a small bit of detergent and pour kettle over them and then rinse them. Takes only a few minutes. I hang them either out on the line or in the hot press depending on the line depending on the weather. They've never not been dry for the next day.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make.

Maybe masks will make people think twice about group shopping especially if their argument is "they are too expensive, I'm not crafty enough to make one" etc.

I use a disposable one as I only need one a week. If I was back in work on public transport I'd spend a Saturday with a needle and thread and make a batch of masks.

I appreciate you can hand wash them each night but I'm incredibly lazy and couldn't be arsed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,320 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your telling me not everyone has an old t-shirt they could use?
    Like someone else posted 3 cloth masks for 6 euro isn't going to break the bank.
    Let's be honest this announcement isn't sudden it has been coming for months. People were already being encouraged to wear on buses etc.

• Advertisement

Well I couldn't be arsed having an extra load of washing or hand washing items everyday....that to me is hassle.

One weekly shop, one mask.

gmisk wrote: »
    Your telling me not everyone has an old t-shirt they could use?
    Like someone else posted 3 cloth masks for 6 euro isn't going to break the bank.
    Let's be honest this announcement isn't sudden it has been coming for months. People were already being encouraged to wear on buses etc.
    Apart from not having one I'd have no inclination to make one and I can only think of one person who would even consider that. If your carefully managed budget is €30 a week, €6 is a lot of extra expenditure. Just because it's a paltry sum for most of us doesn't make that untrue.

Apart from not having one I'd have no inclination to make one and I can only think of one person who would even consider that. If your carefully managed budget is €30 a week, €6 is a lot of extra expenditure. Just because it's a paltry sum for most of us doesn't make that untrue.

What relevance is your inclination? If you can't afford to buy something that is necessary and can be easily homemade, then lack of inclination is a poor excuse.

I happen to know there are charities helping people who genuinely are financially very tight. I've seen masks sold on the basis that for everyone sold, another is donated to a person in direct provision or homeless.

I think this money issue is a smokescreen. The vast majority can absolutely afford a one off expenditure of €5-10. Far more people just couldnt be arsed, don't want to, are too selfish/stupid to understand the importance.

Since when is it mandatory to wear a mask when shopping in the supermarket?

I know it’s mandatory on public transport but supermarkets?

Advised yes but mandatory?

Supposedly immediately but no word on regulations and fines just yet. TBH the language on it from government varies a whole lot. The aim is to bump the compliance. Probably best to get one if you don't already.

Supposedly immediately but no word on regulations and fines just yet.

That’s going to be fun for scalpers.

Buy up supply and flood adverts and done deal it is.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to wear a mask but as usual with this or any government for that matter the intention is good but the execution is abysmal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

From Monday apparently. Not just supermarkets, all enclosed retail spaces

That’s going to be fun for scalpers.

Buy up supply and flood adverts and done deal it is.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to wear a mask but as usual with this or any government for that matter the intention is good but the execution is abysmal.
    I'd say there will be quite lot of one mask people. No argument from me on the government, they've not been good. As the last government did, they should really be able to come up with roadmap for the next 5 phases. It's looking like let's wait to see what NPHET say in 3 weeks, is their only plan.

I'd say there will be quite lot of one mask people. No argument from me on the government, they've not been good. As the last government did, they should really be able to come up with roadmap for the next 5 phases. It's looking like let's wait to see what NPHET say in 3 weeks, is their only plan.

But even the one mask bit is a bit dicey. Ie is it being washed etc..

And yeah the government are a joke and again not just this one. It’s criminal how little planning is going on. It’s all very reactionary.

I watched the Taoiseach speech there about this and it’s all over the place. Is it mandatory is it not? Who’s enforcing it? Is it in law yet? Etc.. just all very wishy washy.

But even the one mask bit is a bit dicey. Ie is it being washed etc..

And yeah the government are a joke and again not just this one. It’s criminal how little planning is going on. It’s all very reactionary.

I watched the Taoiseach speech there about this and it’s all over the place. Is it mandatory is it not? Who’s enforcing it? Is it in law yet? Etc.. just all very wishy washy.

Well if you want to wear a gross, dirty mask then thats your poor look out, but the purpose of the mask is to protect microdroplets from your talking, coughing, sneezing etc from being spewed all over the place.

Even a dirty mask will probably protect others, it would just be unpleasant fro the wearer, but thats their choice. I really don't see how people can't wash masks over night. They're fairly lightweight.

Also, a mask thats a bit grimy is a bit unsanitary but if its a cotton mask, its been shown that Covid 19 dies on cotton within 5 minutes.

Just from what I see people are really reusing disposable masks all the time. They put them on because they have to and pop them in the car door for next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement