Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Movie Walrus - World Premiere Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I was actually going to pick Die Hard myself, but thought it was too obvious and would score badly as a result. How wrong was I? Timeless classic, it deserves high points in fairness.

Yipper-Kay-Ay-Motherf**kers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Where: 1st place/ 10 points
    What: Back To The Future 1985
    Who:
    Deleted User

One of my favourite movies of the 80s for sure. Could watch this over and over, never gets old. Michael J Fox plays Marty McFly, who is accidentally sent back to 1955 in a time machine invented by his friend, Doc Brown. Whilst there, he must make sure his parents fall in love and find a way to return to 1985.
    Great action, humour, characters, and music. This movie is the full package. Each character has a personality, there is just so much going on. I think the timing of this movie, makes it perfect, I mean would this movie work as well if it was made now, I really don’t think it would. Doesn't look overly dates either, though we still don't have flying cars commercially available. It spawned a franchise with 2 very good sequels. Paced really well, at about 2 hours, just about right. Each time I watch this, I see something new, like, wow, they placed that there, I never noticed it before. The attention to detail is fabulous. Great pick. My Rating 8

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Trailer:

Whoooooooooooop Great reveal Kolido :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I recently saw the whole trilogy. Still very entertaining, has aged very well.

Great list Kolido, fair play!!

:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for following along everyone. I had fun watching all those movies.

See you all next time.

Ouch, not a great score for Stand By Me, but it's just one of my all time favourites. I remember seeing it when I was only about 4 or 5 (far too young for that film) and have watched it multiple times since, as well as reading the novella. Fair enough, if it's not to your liking though Kol!

This was one of the most difficult movies to place in this round. It's a good movie and I've alway enjoyed watching it, but was never a favourite of mine. Some iconic movies knocked it down pecking order unfortunately.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Whoooooooooooop Great reveal Kolido :D

Presume you're next Mick :p

Necro wrote: »
    Presume you're next Mick :p

Ive been looking at the numbers and some flow charts, but once the prevailing winds allow it, I will be next.

Schedule now is week by week, so same bat time same bat channel, unless I get ahead of schedule.

30 movies is a lot of movies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Great set of movies there.

FYI, the original Robocop follow up movie that never got made is going to be made soon. From the original writers, and basically gonna disregard the reboot. Should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

tusk wrote: »
    Great set of movies there.

FYI, the original Robocop follow up movie that never got made is going to be made soon. From the original writers, and basically gonna disregard the reboot. Should be good.

Was the reboot terrible?
    Noticed it was on netflix as well, when I looked. Should I just pretend I never noticed...?

Was the reboot terrible?
    Noticed it was on netflix as well, when I looked. Should I just pretend I never noticed...?

I thought the remake was very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

It was perfectly adequate as a reboot goes. But there was something magical about the original that it just couldn't capture.

Worth a watch if you're into it like.

Ya I'd agree, these remakes are all too well made nowadays, you lose the grit that 80s film making provided, added the grit to the movies

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Great thoughts Kolido....chuffed with third I have to say, thought I was going out on a bit of a limb with that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Jasus there's a surprising number of these movies I've never seen. Deffo gonna have to rent Amadeus on video tape from my local video store. (or obtain it through other nefarious means). Excellent submissions and a deserving top spot to BTTF.

Round 2 will be happening tonight.

When you may ask? Well this is a surprise.

I've heard it such a big surprise even the person doing the reveal isn't sure exactly when its happening.

Where else would you be offered such genuine, surprisiation

Here @ sometime in the future, but tonight, later but not too later or it will be tomoro

Please insert image url all your hyped gifs the host is currently very busy but appreciates gifs, you never know it might gain you some points.

Sorry ive been advised by the legal team to retract that statement i can't give out extra points for gifs

What category will this Round be? So I can post more genre appropriate memes...

giphy.gif

I told you it all would be a surprise but we are going with the emotional movies for me to start with.

• Advertisement

HYPE

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

OK I'm pretty much ready..

Like Kolidio said before, I am also not a film critic and have no idea what I'm really doing, im also not very good at englishing so I've no idea how I ended up here.

If I didn't love you movie as much as another its just the movie didn't quite suit me on the day .

There may be spoilers ahead, there may not I can't remember too much of what I wrote.

Ok well here goes nothing

LEFT BEHIND

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2467046/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A small group of survivors are left behind after millions of people suddenly vanish and the world is plunged into chaos and destruction.

As a fan of Nic Cage, I have seen a lot of his movies but never landed on this one so I didn’t know what to expect going in.

As it turned out, I quite liked this movie, the story line is an interesting one and not one that has been over explored so that alone was a plus point for me. The acting is decent but I don't feel there was any real standout performances that pulled me in any emotional direction. Not loads of music in the film but again it wasn’t always used to convey emotion more tension and suspense. But I loved the song near the end.

While there are many emotional elements in the movies I don't feel they were explored heavily enough to give me the kind of feeling I was looking for in an emotional film.

This is a decent watch but with no real standout points for me barring an interesting storyline, for me personally it didn’t hit me emotionally many times

Sorry but it gets an emotional rating of 3.5/10 and a movie rating of 5/10

Giving it an overall 8.5

1 point to
    Skeith

The Mountain Between Us

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2226597/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Stranded after a tragic plane crash, two strangers must forge a connection to survive the extreme elements of a remote snow-covered mountain. When they realize help is not coming, they embark on a perilous journey across the wilderness.

Honestly, this movie never spoke to me from an emotional standpoint, the premise of the movie I found to be quite unbelievable at times, I felt the characters could or should have been dead multiple times before we reached our last half hour.

For me the movie used way too many one liners (jokes), the writers used it over and over again throughout the film, like they didn’t have the confidence to just let the film flow and maybe be in silence at times. For me that speaks of a director lacking confidence in the movie or lazy writing maybe both. For me it had a very rom com feel to the writing which is not a tension builder.

I do love this type of movie where it's based around only a few characters and I thought they both acted quite well but I felt they lacked chemistry at pivotal times.

I thought the music was great and it was an amazingly beautiful setting.
    For me this was a good movie to watch, if ever so slightly confused about what genre of movie it wanted to be.

Unfortunately due to a number of factors it didn't speak to me so it gets an emotional rating 5/10 and a movie rating of 6/10

Giving it a total of 11 points

2 points to
    Necro

Empire of the sun

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092965/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A young English boy struggles to survive under Japanese occupation during World War II.

This is the first review, where I feel bad about placing the movie as the person who submitted it had some really heartfelt words to say about the movie.

Now of days I would consider Christian Bale one of the better actors in the world, I have loved a few movies he has been in, but this performance by him as a child just hit me in all the wrong places, its just all, over-acting and shouting and considering he is on screen at least 90% of the movie it really but a huge dampener on it for me.

All that aside this is actually a good movie, I enjoyed the story, the acting of the others, the music was very enjoyable and there were a couple of really beautiful scenes at times in the movie. For me this movie didn’t need the first 40 minutes to 1 hour of the movie as it was all back story which could have been done in much less time.

I just couldn't get there emotionally given what I thought about the main actor so this gets a emotional rating of 5 and a movie rating of 7

Giving it a total of 12

3 points to
    irishejit

Nocturnal Animals

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4550098/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A wealthy art gallery owner is haunted by her ex-husband's novel, a violent thriller she interprets as a symbolic revenge tale.

I landed on this movie before and had to stop watching it due to the general uncomfortableness I felt early on in it but was happy to give in another go when I saw it

This movie certainly grabs one's attention from the off and puts the viewer on the back foot in what they might expect to follow.

For the 2nd time I felt really uncomfortable watching the first 40 mins to this movie it actually took me 3 goes to get through it all, and while I get you aren’t meant to enjoy what is happening it was just a rough watch for me, to be fair it is a great writing and acting job done to get a person to feel like this so it is job done from that standpoint.

This movie is essentially 2 movies in 1, and while I actually thought one of the movies in this was great, but it totally took away from the other one for me, as I felt nothing for the characters in what is the real life story. I really felt this film was very disjointed.

The movie itself is extremely well acted, I love Jake Gyllenhaal and am a fan of Amy Adams. The support cast is also very good, one of the storys was great the other just did nothing for me in the end.

This film did hit me emotionally especially in the beginning but it was all very uncomfortable which I didn’t find enjoyable, especially as there was no real pay off for me, but given I didn’t care about one half of the movie I have to mark it down here regardless of how I felt in other parts.

Being honest I didn’t really get what this movie was trying to do and that is on me, it just seemed very confused and kind of pointless and I was glad when it finished.

An emotional rating of 7 and a movie rating of 5.5 gives 12.5

And 4 point to
    Deleted User

• Advertisement

The Champ

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078950/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A former boxer discovers that his biggest battle of all is going to be with his ex-wife, Annie, who returns after abandoning their young son seven years prior.

We have all heard the saying don’t work with children or animals, well I for one am very glad the director of this movie chose to ignore this as the little boy in this steals the show.

To be fair he got a helping hand from the rest of the cast as some of them aren’t the best actors well not by modern standards.

This movie hit me emotionally hard twice, with many other lesser strikes along the way. The story-line is an interesting one and not one I feel has been explored very often which made this a unique watching experience for me.

I loved the use of music to convey emotion at times and the use of real life footage, gave this quite a real feel at other times.

The film ended much stronger than it started and had me gripped for the last 15 minutes.

Very happy this was chosen and i will give it an emotional rating 8.5/10 but unfortunately a movie rating of 5.5 totally 13

5 points to
    Spooks

Advertisement