Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Movie Walrus - World Premiere Reveal

Options
  • 30-01-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome folks....

If you cast your minds back to over a month ago, you will recall we asked you to pick movies for us to watch. I know you all have probably forgotten by now, but we haven't.

Well now it's time for us to tell you all how bad the movies were...err I mean how good they were.

So kick back and enjoy the world premiere reveal of double movie walrus.....

.....hosted by Mick and Kolido

movie-cinema-premiere-poster-design-vector-clip-art_csp43124814.jpg

What is Double Movie Walrus?

Double Movie Walrus, is a game where you will submit movies to the hosts, the movies will be watched, judged and ranked by said hosts from worst to best.
    The winner will be the player who accumulates the most points through 5 rounds of scoring.

There will be 2 hosts, each judging 2 categories independently and 1 category together.

The why.

Mick: I like to watch movies, but feel like I haven't seen anything great in a while, I'm hoping for some gems I've never seen before that I never would land on in my life organically. I'm also interested in seeing what it is like to be a movie critic. But mainly Kolido told me I had to :P

Kolido: As a movie lover, I tend to watch a lot, well at least when I get a chance. All too often I find myself saying that was a waste of my time. If my own judgement can't serve me well, why not put my viewing schedule in your hands. Watching movies, having fun, best of both worlds.

What kind of movies are we into

Mick: I like movies that make me feel, from happy to sad and everything in between I want it all and if its all in the 1 movie even better. I'm a fan of a good twist but bear in mind i've seen lots of the popular ones so they may not appeal to me as much on a rewatch. But I have a broad enough interest in most genres, straight out comedy's, horrors, war films would need to go above and beyond to score well with me. If you submit something with sub-titles and its not the best thing ever. I will find you and I will eat your face and not in the cool kind of way either.

O and just in case I can't handle **** acting

Kolido: It's probably quicker explaining what I don't like. Rom coms, comedies, and musicals are movies I would avoid. Probably dramas also. Now saying that, I could be surprised with any of those genres in one of movie. Genres I tend to watch mostly are horror, thriller, and mystery. As my categories will suggest, I a big fan the 80s, not just movies but most 80s pop culture. If you want really impress me, I love film noir, especially the classic period and I'm partial to a good western. Bear in mind though, I've seen most of the classic film noirs and the more popular westerns, thats not to say a rewatch will be a bad thing.

Categories

Mick

1 Films based on a true story

I'm not looking for a documentary, but films based even loosely around a true story can pull me in more then most.

2 A film that stunned you emotionally

Pick me a film that just left you using expletives for days after about how good it was and how much it moved you

Kolido

1 Back to the 80s

I just love the 80s in general, but movie wise, its probably my favourite decade. So many greats to pick from, horrors, action, even comedies. I will have seen most of the famous movies but I dont mind rewatching. Pick your favourite and lets see if I agree.

2 Hidden Gems

I've been trying to find these for years, and have found quite a lot. Of course, I'm sure there are lots still out there. Don't worry if I've already saw the movie, it will not affect my judgement. But I would like to see movies here which are not Hollywood blockbusters and ones that not many know about.

Together

1 Impress us

Comments

Wait I thought I was watching the 80s and the hidden gems :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Wait I thought I was watching the 80s and the hidden gems :eek:

Ya mighta been better off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

oh, if Only I have become active in the games forum earlier!!
    I would have loved to give you some recommendations!!

But now I want to hear more from you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Looking forward to this reveal!!

tenor.gif?itemid=5822774

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Looking forward to this :)

I couldn't justify an entry in the end, I'd have had to be very sure of my choices to subject you to ten hours of them, but hoping to pick up a few good tips for future viewing

Welcome everyone, going to kick off with the 80 theme. We have 10 movies so it shouldn't take long. Next week, Mick will start with his themes.

Back to the 80s

I just love the 80s in general, but movie wise, its probably my favourite decade. So many greats to pick from, horrors, action, even comedies. I will have seen most of the famous movies but I dont mind rewatching. Pick your favourite and lets see if I agree.

DISCLAIMER I have never reviewed movies before, there will be a lot of obvious points missing, please don't take it too serious.

WARNING Posibilty of movie spoilers ahead.

Hype :D

Where: 10th place/ 1 point
    What: Strange Brew 1983
    Who:
    sKeith

Never heard of the movie. Sorry, but I thought it was pretty bad. Can't even explain what it's about. I think it’s about a beer company poisoning their beer to try take over the world.
    Acting is bad, the story is bad, the music was ok. I think the best part of the movie was the runtime of 1 hour 30 mins and even that is too long. I will give it a few marks for effort though. My Rating 4

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086373/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aae64976f1f7f69dab8c049e085b736c297d1e1bf&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Where: 9th place/ 2 points
    What: The Empire Strikes Back 1980
    Who:
    Greenspur

First, I have never watched a Star Wars movie before, and now I know why, it’s not really my thing. However, I can see its appeal and it looks great for its time. Maybe having not seen the other movies leave this an unfair judgement, I don’t know. I don’t really know what’s going on here, the pace is way off, the characters are annoying, except for maybe The Princess and Luke. Chewbacca's voice is just constantly annoying. Its 2 hours and only gets interesting in the last 20 mins or so. Things I did like was the music, some of the settings, and some of the flight scenes. I may eventually watch the other movies and see this differently. Unfortunately not a great pick for me, but still a decent score. My Rating 6

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080684/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

Where: 8th place/ 3 points
    What: Stand by Me 1986
    Who:
    LeVar Burton

Saw this movie a few times, most recently a few years back. Tells the story of 4 boys in Oregon in 1959 who set out to find the missing body of another kid who was hit and killed by a train. The movie was adapted from a Stephen King novella. Let me start by saying the acting here is quite good as is the dialogue. There is a nice soundtrack taken from the late 50's with some familiar tunes. It runs in at under 1 hour and 30 mins, rather short for a drama. There is nice use of location and all in all, a pretty solid production. Sadly, that’s where the positives end for me. I know I’m in the minority here as most people rate this movie high. I just didn’t find the story interesting. It’s a coming of age movie and while the character developments in those 90 mins are good, I still found the whole movie rather boring. Can’t fault the pace really as its a short movie, it’s just the story. Not a good pick for me I’m afraid, considering what other movies were on offer. My Rating 6

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092005/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

Seeing The Empire Strikes Back and Stand By Me rather low I am very intrigued on what's higher.
    Both favourites of mine - especially Stand By Me, I do get your points though and they make sense

OOOOOO I really like that film KOL, haven't seen it in ages though I'll add it to the after Walrus movie list

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I love Stand By Me, great choice LeVar (I'm a bit of Stephen King nut though so obviously love it)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ouch, not a great score for Stand By Me, but it's just one of my all time favourites. I remember seeing it when I was only about 4 or 5 (far too young for that film) and have watched it multiple times since, as well as reading the novella. Fair enough, if it's not to your liking though Kol!

Where: 7th place/ 4 points
    What: Midnight Run 1988
    Who:
    Quickbeam

This is a movie I had seen at least once before, a long time ago, from my memory it was quite good. A good mix of buddy cop action and comedy. Whilst I still enjoyed it, it wasn’t as good as I remembered. Robert De Niro has had many great performances before this and I must say, is indeed in top form in this one also. De Niro plays a former cop, now a bounty hunter who is tasked with bringing a guy who skipped bail back from New York to LA, but as you might expect, the trip is not straight forward. After them, are the Feds, Mafia goons and another bounty hunter. The usual type of action and comedy one would expect from this period are present. The main support role, played by Charles Grodin, I felt was rather flat. Other supports in Yaphet Kotto, John Ashton, and Joe Pantoliano really added to the comedy and helped this movie along incredibly. With a run time of about 2 hours, probably a little long for this type of movie. Nothing to extreme in terms of action bar one car chase near the end. A few decent comedy elements, but that’s not really my cup of tea. Music was sufficient. Plot was fine, with one or two side plots, probably nothing I haven't seen before. Overall, a decent fare, slow paced in places and run time could have been cut by 15-20 mins. My rating: 6.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095631/

Trailer:

Where: 6th place/ 5 points
    What: The Running Man 1987
    Who:
    Necro

Have seen this one many times, as I’m sure most of you have. Not one of Arnies best movies from that era, I would rate it behind the likes of The Terminator, Commando, and The Predator. But, it’s 80’s Arnie, what’s not to like. It’s set in a dystopian LA where the most popular tv show is the game show, The Running Man. Convicts get a chance of freedom if they can escape the Stalkers in the game show. First of, I just love the setting, real gritty. Anything depicting dystopian states get my attention. The acting, while a bit ropey, is not as bad as you’d expect. Arnie has his one-liners. The support cast do an ok job, in particular, the main villain played by Richard Dawson, does an excellent job. Soundtrack is good (watch out for the excellent John Parr track on the closing credits). Movie runs along at a good pace with a very acceptable run time of around 1 hrs 40 mins. Some negatives, it looks a bit more dated than other movies of the era and as I mentioned, the acting is a bit ropey. Neither take too much away from the movie for me. The action scenes are ok, could have been better given the budget they apparently had, perhaps Arnie got most of it. All in all, a good watch and good pick. My Rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093894/

Trailer:

Kolido wrote: »
    Where: 6th place/ 5 points
    What: The Running Man 1987
    Who:
    Necro

This was what I was thinking about when I was looking at entries :p
    That, or Escape From New York

I've never seen that but its deffo going on the list also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

See :D Another one of King's short stories!

Necro wrote: »
    See :D Another one of King's short stories!

And a great one indeed!!

Where: 5th place/ 6 points
    What: Beverly Hills Cop 1984
    Who:
    Ladyskunk

Well when you think 80s movies, this movie will be on everyone's list. Hadn’t seen it in a long time and had forgotten a lot of it. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it as much as I did as I find Eddie Murphy a bit of a one trick pony. I was mistaken. This is arguably the movie that catapulted him to stardom. He is in top notch form here, the laugh, the delivery, and the mannerism are all here. Eddie plays a Detroit cop, who after his friend is shot dead, takes a vacation to Beverly Hills to try catch the killer. As with a lot of these action comedies, the plots are nothing exceptional, its how its delivered. The support cast do a fine job but the lead makes this movie what it is. Some nice action scenes, that chase at the beginning just gets you in the mood, but they are not overused which is nice. The pace is great, with a runtime of around 1 hour 45mins, just about right. You can’t talk 80s movies without mentioning the soundtrack, and wow, the music in here is brilliant. They make good use of locations also with nice outdoor scenes. This movie was the highest grossing movie in the US in 1984 and spent 13 weeks at number one. I don’t really have anything bad to say about it, it is not my favourite movie but I really enjoyed it. Even though I enjoyed his performance here, I’m not really an Eddie Murphy fan so maybe that’s where it loses ground. Overall, great pick. My rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086960/

Trailer:

Where: 4th place/ 7 points
    What: Robocop 1987
    Who:
    Tusk

Iconic movie which I'm sure everyone is familiar with. Set in crime ridden Detroit, it tells the story of a cop, who is killed by a criminal gang, is reconstructed into a Robot Cop. With some of his memory still there, he sets out to eliminate the gang who killed him.
    Love the setting and grittiness of this movie produced on a modest budget. Acting is ok, I think the villains carry it better than the leads in that respect. Kurtwood Smith and Paul McCrane play their parts really well as villians. The action scenes are mainly confined to gun fights and explosions, not over used. The effects look a bit dated although highly praised at the time. Music was ok, nothing outstanding. Pace wise, it does a great job, keeps moving along nicely with a runtime of around 1 hour 40 mins. Director Paul Verhoeven, famed for movies such as Total Recall and Starship Troopers, does a great job at depicting a dystopian setting, really liked the commercials and newsreels scattered through the movie. So many themes here, such as media influence, corruption, authoritarianism, greed, capitalism, and dystopia.
    This movie spawned a franchise with a number of sequels and a reboot, none of which come close to the original. It does look a bit dated in parts and there are better movies out there, but nothing really negative to say about this movie. Good pick
    My Rating 7

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093870/

Trailer:

Love the 2 of them movies they are very 80s for me :D

Just checked, Robocop is on Netflix :)

Where: 3rd place/ 8 points
    What: Amadeus 1984
    Who:
    Irishejit

I had not seen this movie before but I've had it on my watchlist for years. So let me start by saying thanks for picking it. Amadeus is an epic period drama depicting the fictional rivalry between Mozart and Italian composer, Antonio Salieri. It won eight Oscars including best picture, director, and actor and is considered one of the best movies ever.
    Strangely enough, I ended up watching the directors cut which is 3 hours long. A movie needs to be good to keep my attention for that long, saying that, I split this one over two nights. The acting in this movie is incredible, from the leads to support cast. The setting and costume design, amazing. There is quite a bit of humour, but not overused imo. The music here, as you might expect, is mostly Mozart. Luckily for me, I like classical music although I'm by no means an expert in it. As I mentioned, the run time here is quite long, 2 hours 40 mins for the theatrical release. For such a long movie, it is paced very well. The story is not as complicated as I was expecting it to be, it flowed nicely.
    A perfect movie so far, right? Well, the big negative for me is the genre, just not really my thing. But that aside, I really enjoyed this movie and I can see why it is so highly rated. A great pick. My Rating 7.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

I agree about Amadeus, great choice.
    One of Milos Forman's best films in my opinion

Where: 2nd place/ 9 points
    What: Die Hard 1988
    Who:
    Spooks

Should have known this movie would get picked. Is it the greatest Christmas movie ever? Well according to us, yes. Is it the greatest movie of the 80s?. Probably not but it’s up there.
    Bruce Willis plays a New York cop caught up in a heist while visiting his estranged wife in LA on Christmas Eve. I think we all know how the story goes. A lot of actors turned down the role of John McClane before director John McTiernan offered the role to Bruce Willis. Willis, who had just starred in one movie at that point, was apparently paid $5 million, an astonishing fee for someone with little movie experience at that time. However, this role would turn him into a Hollywood A lister. Willis does an excellent job in the lead role here. Along with some excellent co stars, can’t really fault the acting in this action movie. With John McTiernan and producer Joel Silver involved, this movie was destined to succeed. Action sequences are well done if a little cliche, the dialogue and on liners are top notch. But what really makes this movie stand out from others is the little touches that might go unnoticed on first viewing. For example, Bruce running around barefoot for much of the movie because a guy on his flight suggested he take his shoes off and make fists with his toes when he lands.
    With a run time of over 2 hours, you might think is quite long but the pace here is quite good, slowing down a little in between the bigger action sequences. The plot is nothing special but how its delivered is. Not the best movie you'll ever watch but it’s guaranteed you'll watch it over and over, it never gets old. Great pick, if a bit obvious. My Rating 7.5

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095016/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Trailer:

• Advertisement

O wow that not a christmas movie coming 2nd :D

Advertisement