Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Damon

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Urgh, his character is brutal. The therapy scenes are cringeworthy.

It’s not your fault?

Cmon man you’re dead inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You clearly don't appreciate a good film and outstanding acting - Robin Williams was amazing in this movie. Most of his scenes were improvised, made up on the spot.

If this scene does nothing for you then perhaps you should stick rom-coms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Rew wrote: »
    Movie is The Last Duel direct by Ridley Scott. They have 8 weeks filming to do here thats been postponed. It is/was to use locations in Meath as far as I remember they had a call for extras at the start of the year.

ah right thanks. Good to hear we are getting Hollywood films to work here again, not sure what went wrong but we seemed to miss out on a lot of these big productions to other countries in the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

begbysback wrote: »
    It’s not your fault?

Cmon man you’re dead inside.

Yes, that scene in particular. I’m not dead inside, I just was very distracted by the fact that that would never happen like that.

The film has some decent acting and genuine laugh-out-loud moments which is a plus, but overall, it’s not good. The ‘gotcha’ monologues by Damon, the oversimplified, cheesy therapy scenes. Just nah.

Keyzer wrote: »
    You clearly don't appreciate a good film and outstanding acting - Robin Williams was amazing in this movie. Most of his scenes were improvised, made up on the spot

If this scene does nothing for you then perhaps you should stick rom-coms.

Oh for the love of god. I don’t like rom coms. In general. There are occasionally good ones. It’s an unbelievably infantile tack to come out with nonsense like the bolded bits. If you can’t counter somebody without insulting them, you haven’t made your point very well. And getting so offended on behalf of a film you like that you’ll insult somebody who doesn’t is frankly odd.

It isn’t universally loved either. You’re talking like it’s a classic.

People do get terribly po-faced when talking about this film though, for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Oh for the love of god. I don’t like rom coms. In general. There are occasionally good ones. It’s an unbelievably infantile tack to come out with nonsense like the bolded bits. If you can’t counter somebody without insulting them, you haven’t made your point very well. And getting so offended on behalf of a film you like that you’ll insult somebody who doesn’t is frankly odd.

People do get terribly po-faced when talking about this film though, for some reason.

I'm not offended.

Keyzer wrote: »
    I'm not offended.

Then that makes your response even more odd. Can’t explain why you love the film without lashing out a few insulting assumptions? Ooookay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Jesus Christ..............

That's Jason Bourne!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, that scene in particular. I’m not dead inside, I just was very distracted by the fact that that would never happen like that.

The film has some decent acting and genuine laugh-out-loud moments which is a plus, but overall, it’s not good. The ‘gotcha’ monologues by Damon, the oversimplified, cheesy therapy scenes. Just nah.

This is all your opinion of course and you know what, you may not be right.

97% approval on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Oscar for Best Screenplay
    Golden Globe for Best Screenplay
    Academy Award for Robin Williams for Best Supporting Actor
    Screen Actors Guild Award for Robin Williams for Best Supporting Actor`

There's other awards and nominations as well so the film must have something going for it.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is all your opinion of course and you know what, you may not be right.

:D:D:D

Are you serious with this shit? “Oh, okay, many critics liked it, I change my mind!”. Anyway, mosey on over to Metacritic where there are some lukewarm to negative critic reviews. As well as less gushing retrospectives.

And Oscars? LOL.

But, like I said, it’s one of those films that people get really po-faced about, for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

This was newsworthy ages ago. I dunno why people still keep reporting it. Surely, the guy just wants some privacy now.

:D:D:D

Are you serious with this shit? “Oh, okay, many critics liked it, I change my mind!”. Anyway, mosey on over to Metacritic where there are some lukewarm to negative critic reviews. As well as less gushing retrospectives.

And Oscars? LOL.

But, like I said, it’s one of those films that people get really po-faced about, for some reason.

Well a broad consensus of critics and award bodies have praised it and rewarded it.

They can't all be wrong.

LeYouth wrote: »
    This was newsworthy ages ago. I dunno why people still keep reporting it. Surely, the guy just wants some privacy now.

It only happened in the last couple of days that he voluntarily gave an interview to Spin FM.

He's not being harrassed in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Anyway, mosey on over to Metacritic where there are some lukewarm to negative critic reviews. As well as less gushing retrospectives.

Not about the film at all but metacritic? Not reliable at all. You'll get someone (critics mainly but users to) giving something a horrendously low mark. Maybe to garner attention or something or traffic to their website/columns.

petes wrote: »
    Not about the film at all but metacritic? Not reliable at all. You'll get someone (critics mainly but users to) giving something a horrendously low mark. Maybe to garner attention or something or traffic to their website/columns.

It gathers film critic reviews from a wide range of publications. You’ll notice I didn’t mention the user reviews as I take no notice of them. I was talking about critic reviews. The critic and user reviews are clearly marked separately on the site.

And even if it was all glowing reviews, I’m able to make my mind up. Many films are overpraised. It’s mad that you think a critic will capriciously give a low mark but that there’s never anything untoward in giving high praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It gathers film critic reviews from a wide range of publications. You’ll notice I didn’t mention the user reviews as I take no notice of them. I was talking about critic reviews. The critic and user reviews are clearly marked separately on the site.

And even if it was all glowing reviews, I’m able to make my mind up. Many films are overpraised. It’s mad that you think a critic will capriciously give a low mark but that there’s never anything untoward in giving high praise.

I'm well aware of how metacritic works thanks.

And even if it was all glowing reviews, I’m able to make my mind up. Many films are overpraised.

I regard Forrest Gump as a load of sentimental twaddle, which has aged quite poorly. Having him "meet" prominent figures of the era was a ridiculous plot device (in my opinion).

I regard Forrest Gump as a load of sentimental twaddle, which has aged quite poorly. Having him "meet" prominent figures of the era was a ridiculous plot device (in my opinion).

Forrest Gump is awful. That it won Best Picture at the Oscars in the same year that Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption (which isn’t to my taste exactly but I can see the quality) were nominated shows how worthless the Oscars are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m fcuking Matt Damon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Sarah Silverman seen doing the walk of shame around Dalkey, I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Matt Damon is prob a cool guy but honestly don't see how you can fawn over celebrities like this? It's so cringeworthy. Dalkey is a nice place, get over it, it's so cringe seeing upper middle class people pat themselves on the back that they live in an area where some rich actor is holed up for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

NSAman wrote: »
    Funny, just clicked on this thread and what comes up on Good morning America?.. Matt Damon in Ireland.

Could care less about celebrities. They are just people too and although famous, I would not trade my life with them at all. I like my privacy.

Personally, cannot understand the adulation at all.

I meet a few where i live, but would never bother them outside of nodding or saying good morning. I also meet them (apparently) in the course of work, I would not know most of them, not being a cinema goer or watching too much TV.

Nothing but good publicity about Dalkey here though looking at this segment on GMA.

Could care less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I liked Rounders.
    If you are reading this Matt, thanks for that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Matt Damon is prob a cool guy but honestly don't see how you can fawn over celebrities like this? It's so cringeworthy. Dalkey is a nice place, get over it, it's so cringe seeing upper middle class people pat themselves on the back that they live in an area where some rich actor is holed up for a few months.

If they are upper middle in Dalkey where do the upper classes live?
    thunderdog wrote: »
    Could care less?

He cares about them, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

I liked Rounders.
    If you are reading this Matt, thanks for that film.

Matt tried to sign up but they banned him for being a re-reg.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

Matt friggin' Damon, huh, in Dalkey.. probably a nice guy to knock back a few shots of Powers with, but like what is the point of his career from an outside perspective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wish they hadn't tried to find out what was in the Supervalu bag; some mysteries are best left mysterious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’m fcuking Matt Damon.

You don’t look like him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

He looks very small next to those children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Augeo wrote: »
    Who's Bryan Ferry?

It’s Boaty McBoatfaces original name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Arghus wrote: »
    I wish they hadn't tried to find out what was in the Supervalu bag; some mysteries are best left mysterious.

The funny thing is if you zoom into the photo you can see the bag is just 18 litres of jizz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭josip

Matt friggin' Damon, huh, in Dalkey.. probably a nice guy to knock back a few shots of Powers with, but like what is the point of his career from an outside perspective?

The first night of the lockdown I insisted the family watch the Martian.
    Important to set the right tone for the next 560 sols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Augeo wrote: »
    Who's Bryan Ferry?

Best mates with Stena Line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I was actually going for a run the other day up Killiney Hill and I was running around the Oblesik when who do I see out of the corner of my eye but Matt Damon who was squatting

'Alright Matt'. An awkward silence followed, I was still lightly jogging at this stage but had been on autopilot as I was transfixed on this A Lister taking a **** in the gorse. He finally stood up, and I saw the famous SuperValu bag in his right hand,. He nodded, said his name and then disappeared into the distance. You can take the kid out of Boston, but you can't take the **** with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

thunderdog wrote: »
    Could care less?

Careless on my part..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Team America World Police

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hear he likes apples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I hear he likes apples.

How'd you like them apples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Met Dayyymon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Mad Man Tot

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Matt Damon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

tumblr_mqd9hkSz7w1r8q1s0o1_500.gifv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Where’s Matt now that we need to slap Putin’s face at the Oscars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Ask him if he likes apples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I don't know actually. But he ever asks you if you like apples in an antagonistic way, while in front of his friends, I certainly wouldn't be saying yes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I am indifferent towards apples so I certainly would not say yes if asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

According to the Painter’s Handbook, it is "customary to gloss over matt."

Advertisement