Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm confused by this example from revenue.ie.
    It looks as though they are suggesting that an extra courier handling fee could potentially apply for goods costing under 22 euro.
    Does anyone know for sure if there's an absolute rule regarding handling on goods under 22 euro?

From https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx
    Bizarre. There should be no 10 charge for that example?

It says 95% of their package partners are ready? I checked Mountain warehouse, smiggle and moonpig and all 3 seems to be oblivious to brexit according to their websites

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Cameraman wrote: »
    What you say here makes sense to me. However, it's not what is happening on my test order.
    I added the same item to my basket (price is now £316.58), but the checkout price stayed the same + Irish VAT on top. The UK VAT does not appear to have been deducted. Delivery address is Ireland.

Order Summary
    Items: £316.58
    Postage & Packing: £6.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £67.74
    Order Total: £390.32

Found out why this is happening (via Popple3) - if not sold by Amazon (even if fulfilled by amazon) VAT may not be deducted. Tried again with Amazon as seller, and it worked as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Cameraman wrote: »
    Found out why this is happening (via Popple3) - if not sold by Amazon (even if fulfilled by amazon) VAT may not be deducted. Tried again with Amazon as seller, and it worked as described.

One item I bought was sold by one of the weird Chinese pick a few letters on the keyboard names and fulfilled by Amazon and the VAT was removed from the price. Listed as £8.99, 5% voucher minus the UK VAT bought for £7.49.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Popple3 wrote: »
    Looks like third party sellers (even if fulfilled by Amazon) aren’t necessarily set up to take off the UK VAT.

Take the earlier example of the Sony XM4s. Right now, the cheapest option is sold by “Toggle” and fulfilled by Amazon. When I go through to checkout, the item price stays at the full price including UK VAT.

If I go into the list of available sellers though, I can select direct from Amazon for ~£1 more, but in checkout the UK VAT is deducted before adding the Irish VAT, so it works out much cheaper.

One more thing to keep an eye out for...

I thought VAT was only removed on items that were under 22 euro and Irish VAT was applied to those over 22. That definitely costs more than 22, I wonder why removed VAT.

Also worth a look, a list of items that incur no duty, even costing more than 150, when imported from the UK.
    For Clarity sake just know they still attract VAT.

Some Examples of Items that can be imported to the EU with 0% Duty
    Here are some examples of goods from the UK that can be imported duty-free into Ireland even if the country of origin is not the UK or the EU.

Computers & Computer Parts
    Computer Monitors
    Calculators
    Printers/Copiers/Faxes
    Printer Inks & Accessories
    Phones (Mobile/Non Mobile)
    Laptops
    Digital Cameras
    Storage Drives
    Games-Consoles
    Headphones
    Books
    Radios
    Sound recording or Reproducing Equipment (CD players, Turntables)
    CDs
    Memory Cards
    Electric Toy Trains
    Billiard/Pool Tables
    Kids Bikes/scooters
    Wooden Furniture
    Plastic Furniture
    Metal Beds
    Upholstered Seats
    Vitamins & Pro Vitamins
    Whey Protein

Source : https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Very valuable list. Most imports above 150 would be phones I'd suspect.

• Advertisement

I thought VAT was only removed on items that were under 22 euro and Irish VAT was applied to those over 22.

Also worth a look, a list of items that incur no duty, even costing more than 150, when imported from the UK.

You are mixing up VAT and import tax/duty. Two different things. No duty on imported computers but you still have to pay the VAT.

You are mixing up VAT and import tax/duty. Two different things. No duty on imported computers but you still have to pay the VAT.

No, I said that it was a list of items that incur no duty but I'll point out they attract VAT too in case anyone doesn't differentiate between the two.

One item I bought was sold by one of the weird Chinese pick a few letters on the keyboard names and fulfilled by Amazon and the VAT was removed from the price. Listed as £8.99, 5% voucher minus the UK VAT bought for £7.49.

Separate rule for items under €22 (until July). They should be supplied VAT-free

I thought VAT was only removed on items that were under 22 euro and Irish VAT was applied to those over 22. That definitely costs more than 22, I wonder why removed VAT.

Under €22 - all VAT is removed.
    For other items UK VAT is removed, and Irish VAT added as "Import Fees".
    Amazon have charged Irish VAT for years, so no change there.

Also useful info!
    €22 Euro is treated as £19.95 GBP for all of January 2021 . (see further down the page for the method of calculation.)
    £19.95 excluding UK VAT, works out as £23.94 inclusive of UK VAT .
    Therefore , Irish customers should see a 20% final price reduction at checkout on single Amazon items priced under £23.94.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Also useful info!

Very useful although the free delivery doesn't kick in until £25 so fairly pointless

Very useful although the free delivery doesn't kick in until £25 so fairly pointless ������

If you have Amazon Prime then its as good as 20% off all items under £19.95

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

torrevieja wrote: »
    What happens if they put them all together now do they charge Vat then

So if its €20 euro for one and you buy another item for €21 and something else for €17

so now you have 3 items but total value of put together which Amazon always do will Now be €58, u hit for vat then ?

Yes as the total value of the package is over 22eur.

If you split them out into individual orders (I know, such a waste!) then you shouldn't get hit with the VAT but to get the full benefit you need prime/free delivery as delivery costs are included in the package value.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaka2001

davork wrote: »
    - You'll have paid UK VAT (if applicable) to get it to a UK address
    - An Post (actually Revenue) may request a copy of the invoice (as I havent seen a bill in an amazon box for yonks)
    - Revenue wont give a care if you've paid UK VAT, that's not their problem, but should only charge you IE VAT (where applicable) on the 'intrinsic' value of the item(s)

I suspect we'll hear a few calls into Joe Duffy once people get charged like this... and as for claiming the UK VAT back... good luck!

Thanks for flagging. I went ahead and cancelled my order. It was a watch for £130, so not really worth the additional +25% it might cost me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If you have Amazon Prime then its as good as 20% off all items under £19.95

£4 saving if you have prime, prime is what £70 a year? so as long as you buy 18 things off Amazon under £19.95 you're saving... Better than a poke in the eye I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

£4 saving if you have prime, prime is what £70 a year? so as long as you buy 18 things off Amazon under £19.95 you're saving... Better than a poke in the eye I guess

Well that's not quite how that works, because people had Prime last year and previous years too for the benefits of faster delivery, no min spend for free delivery, Prime Video, Prime Reading, Premier League matches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

No, I said that it was a list of items that incur no duty but I'll point out they attract VAT too in case anyone doesn't differentiate between the two.

Could I just add something that may not be clear. Duty also attracts extra vat total. I'll try and explain.

Customs apply the duty to the value which sees an increase in the vat you pay.
    They add the item price and the delivery cost then add the percentage duty(if applicable), this sum total then has the vat @21% calculated.

They don't leave the duty % to one side ah no you get stung by vat on top of their %duty! You will pay vat on the duty. Very sneeky 🀔.

Even if you go above the 22€ or people worried about the fluctuations in currency dont panic.
    VAT liability amounting to €6 or less will not be collected. If Customs Duty or Excise Duty is applicable, it will always be collected e.g. Alcohol/tabacco.

Handy vat and duty calculater here
    https://foremostfreight.ie/duty-vat-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Until July. Then all vat is collected

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sneaky, �� . They've been 'sneaking' that VAT on top,of duty one in for more than 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

whiterebel wrote: »
    Sneaky, �� . They've been 'sneaking' that VAT on top,of duty one in for more than 30 years.

You said it!!

One thing I've noted is that none of the "Deals" todays deals and lightening deals are now available to Ireland so no bargains to be found there with an extra VAT discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Lots of my usual orders are now not available for delivery to the ROI 😡 (items under £22)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Lots of my usual orders are now not available for delivery to the ROI 😡 (items under £22)

Yeah, I've noticed that on a lot of items.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I ordered 4 items between the 26th and 29th Dec, all had expected delivery dates on Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th, 3 of the items have now been dispatched with a delivery date of 11th Jan and the 4th item has been cancelled as delivery to ROI is no longer available, this is going to make it very difficult to justify continuing paying for Prime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

A2LUE42 wrote: »

A simple box of Lindt chocolates at £3.50 is no longer available (put in a UK post code and they are).

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A2LUE42 wrote: »

This is a complete joke now alright, I purchased a couple of packs of these tea bags at £3.50 back in Nov with free shipping, I just checked there now

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-22-36-05.png

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-22-36-22.png

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

so after July your Charged Vat automatically ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Jesus wept.
    I know right, Tetley's tea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement