Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.co.uk - No VAT on certain items under €22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Assume a student is considered one who attends a third level college?

Yes, you have be over 18 and attending a higher level(3rd level) college or university.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

johnfás wrote: »
    Ordered about 6 items separately on prime all under €22. Noticed 4 of them have now dispatched in one package... will see how this pans out 🀔. Value of the package will be above €22.
    You should be hit for VAT. Hopefully Amazon packages will be assumed to be in order, not subjected to anything other than an occasional spot-check and this will sail on thorough unnoticed.

Otherwise, if they come looking for VAT, just refuse delivery and reorder in a more careful manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Over the next six months we need to flood the system with so many €22 packages that, come July, customs will be so overwhelmed they won't dream of bringing in the new rules...

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Over the next six months we need to flood the system with so many €22 packages that, come July, customs will be so overwhelmed they won't dream of bringing in the new rules...

Or they'll realise that they're missing out on so much import VAT that they'll want to introduce the rule sooner. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Or they'll realise that they're missing out on so much import VAT that they'll want to introduce the rule sooner. :p

Very true and it'll be November before our wifi extender comes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Assume a student is considered one who attends a third level college?

Did this

Used friends email address just to set it up , it's back the my email address now

Used my own address and have delivered to multiple addresses

Changed it to recently so got it for 39.99 for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

My head is melted as a bit slower than alot of the people here!. I want to order a Gemini Vivoactive 3 on Amazon UK which is £125 on the site but £127 at checkout with the old VAT switcheroo. Less than the €150 so I should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

the goon wrote: »
    My head is melted as a bit slower than alot of the people here!. I want to order a Gemini Vivoactive 3 on Amazon UK which is £125 on the site but £127 at checkout with the old VAT switcheroo. Less than the €150 so I should be ok?

€26.04 import fees deposit is added at checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I cancelled my Amazon Prime on 31 December. Ditto Parcel Motel.
    Just checked Ebay and this VAT and customs duties also applies to 2nd hand goods.

No more mindless online shopping for things I don’t always need .
    From now on it’s buy locally or on Irish websites . I’ve also used Amazon.de a bit but you pay a lot for postage .

It’s like going back in time , quite depressing, but I guess I’ll save a lot of money.
    I wonder do many online shoppers realize the huge impact of all this yet ?

Good points. I've already found an Irish website that may be an alternative to amazon for a USB power delivery charger. Only a euro or 2 more as it turned out, so I think I will at least think a bit more before auto purchasing with amazon. For the moment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Phil.x wrote: »
    €26.04 import fees deposit is added at checkout

Not from what I can see. Showing £104.17 being the item value less UK VAT. It then adds £23.14 in the Import Fees Deposit section which is the Irish VAT and a small additional amount which I can't work out. Total seems to be £127.31.

• Advertisement

Not from what I can see. Showing £104.17 being the item value less UK VAT. It then adds £23.14 in the Import Fees Deposit section which is the Irish VAT and a small additional amount which I can't work out. Total seems to be £127.31.

It adds exactly 21% (£21.88) for me.

tRGG25r.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Looking at an item on amazon, if I ship to addresspal address it will arrive Tuesday, if I send to Irish address its saying 22 January. Why such a difference?

If I use addresspal do I automatically have to pay customs? Its 80gbp. Or is it up to whether customs stop it?

timple23 wrote: »
    Looking at an item on amazon, if I ship to addresspal address it will arrive Tuesday, if I send to Irish address its saying 22 January. Why such a difference?

Amazon are just being extra cautious as they don't have any current data on how long it will take for items to clear customs in Ireland with the new rules. If it's anything like their similarly long delivery windows for Black Friday and Christmas you'll get it much sooner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Amazon are just being extra cautious as they don't have any current data on how long it will take for items to clear customs in Ireland with the new rules. If it's anything like their similarly long delivery windows for Black Friday and Christmas you'll get it much sooner. :)

I agree my goods that shipped yesterday cleared customs on the evening and are in the Dublin mail center right now with a text from AnPost saying delivery in the next 3 working days.

Amazon is just having a backlog and no experience with shipping under the new rules so they are very careful with setting expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭corkie

Good points. I've already found an Irish website that may be an alternative to amazon for a USB power delivery charger. Only a euro or 2 more as it turned out, so I think I will at least think a bit more before auto purchasing with amazon. For the moment anyway!

Any reason? Your not naming the site? Do they also have powerbanks which can't be shipped by Amazon.

timple23 wrote: »

If I use addresspal do I automatically have to pay customs? Its 80gbp. Or is it up to whether customs stop it?

Because Amazon can't easly predict if there will be delays because of the customs border down the Irish sea.
    The long estimation is so people can't complain if there are long delays. It probably won't take that long but there is a chance it could.

Only get it sent to address pal if you decide you would like to pay VAT in both Ireland and the UK.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only catch with Amazon and long delivery times, I often see them wait a long time to dispatch the item. Transit time remains the same but it just doesn't leave the Amazon warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Wouldn’t be too despondent yet. I think they’ll streamline things a lot in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭honda boi

Ordered 2 separate orders under €22.
    Added my address twice and shipped one order to one of them and other to the "other" address.
    Hopefully not all shipped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

What I found in November and December is if something said for example expected delivery on Dec 12th, even if An Post had that in Dublin on Dec 6th it was still December 12th, maybe 11th, before I got it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jofspring wrote: »
    What I found in November and December is if something said for example expected delivery on Dec 12th, even if An Post had that in Dublin on Dec 6th it was still December 12th, maybe 11th, before I got it.

I had similar experiences also

For me over the Christmas period Amazon was showing very long delivery times close to 2 weeks in some cases but all items arrived within 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

VAT on the delivery - even though it's free they have to VAT the "value" of it.
    If you were a Prime member the total price would be 126.04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

honda boi wrote: »
    Ordered 2 separate orders under €22.
    Added my address twice and shipped one order to one of them and other to the "other" address.
    Hopefully not all shipped together.

I'm now terrified all the small items I've ordered shall be shipped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Asus X540L wrote: »

Cancel and reorder on different days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭honda boi

If they ship together and your stung with an post fee and vat surely Amazon might help out?
    Since you ordered separately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Asus X540L wrote: »

Amazon state that "you won’t be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated"

If there is any issue with it (which I doubt) - Amazon will sort it out.

Cancel and reorder on different days?

I like the idea of shipping to slightly different variants of the same address.
    I think that should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Do amazon deliver via an post or hermes or another courier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Slightly off-topic but have an item due to arrive on 11th which hasn't shipped yet, but Prime is due to renew on the 7th.

The item is only £7 so fecked if I'm paying for shipping.

If I cancel Prime before it ships, will they tack on shipping to that order?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement