Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The French Revolution by Ian Davidson is a fine big tome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The City of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

A collection of short stories set in his "Cemetery of Forgotten Books" world.

Seeing as he died last year I was really delighted and surprised to see it on a shelf today.

Also if anyone knows somewhere in Dublin or Belfast selling "The Expanse: Leviathan Falls" I would love to know. Released today but no sign in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Everest The First Ascent by Harriet Tuckey. I didn't expect much from this when I pulled it off the library shelf, but half way in, I'm thoroughly engrossed. It's different from other accounts of the conquest of Everest in that it's told from the perspective of Griffith Pugh, the physiologist on the expedition. Pugh was pretty much scorned by a lot of the party, often a figure of fun and then mostly written out of it when the tales were told and the heroes were feted. The romantic spirit of the climbers completely clashed with Pugh's scientific endeavours and this book determinedly sets out to correct the myths. Tuckey is Pugh's daughter but doesn't come across as anything other than impartial, more it's a case of her trying to come to terms with a man she never really got to know as he was always off somewhere climbing. Fascinating life and story.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb

This is book 2 of the Farseer Trilogy and I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I had difficulty finding time to sit down and read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭KH25

Still working my way through Dune. Took me a while to get into it at first because of the writing style, but making good progress now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Im going to reread A Christmas carol by Dickens, it's only a short book.

Some great one-liners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Wheel of Time, book 1 on audio. So much better than the trainwreak that is the Amazon series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The most recent books I finished were:

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates.

The Irish Assassins: Conspiracy, Revenge and The Phoenix Park Murders That Stunned Victorian England by Julie Kavanagh.

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante.

The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante.

I must have passed by Elena Ferrante's novels a thousand times in bookshops and never once felt bothered, then someone with a clue recommended her to me and I devoured those two books in a week. Outstanding writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Bob Mortimer - And Away...

If, like me, you became a huge fan of Bob Mortimer through his, by now, near legendary appearances on the game show Would I lie to you?, then i think you'll enjoy this book. At times it feels like the literary equivalent of watching an episode of WILTY (even the fabled Gary "Cheesy" Cheeseman pops up at regular intervals), at others it's more serious and life affirming. But never less than a pure joy from a man whose status as a British national treasure surely cannot be in doubt at this stage?

• Advertisement

Dachau to the Dolomites: The Untold Story of the Irishmen, Himmler's Special Prisoners and the End of WWII by Tom Wall

Interesting story although too many noticeable typos, etc. for my liking in a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Testimony by Anita Shreve.

It's about illegal and illicit sex in a private boarding school in New England, between a group of boys and an underage girl. I won't give away any more of the story, except to say that it brings up memories in me of the Belfast trial a few years back. It is mainly in the form of a documentary.

Would I recommend it? of course - I would recommend anything by Anita Shreve and this book is absolutely not an exception - beautifully written and very thought-provoking.

Atlas of the Irish Revolution by John Crowley, Donal O'Drisceoil and Mike Murphy

I was determined to read this near 1,000 page, 5kg monster before the year was out and happily did. Some very interesting stories are detailed and some lesser known revolutionaries given their due respect in this Atlas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Powers and Thrones: A Hew History of the Middle Ages by Dan Jones

Cracking good read. Manages to make complicated stuff very readable without dumbing down.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm currently reading Antarctica: An Intimate Portrait of the World's Most Mysterious Continent by Gabrielle Walker. So far it has been an excellent overview of the continent covering everything from the earliest explorers to the scientific research being conducted there. The author also includes many personal observations from her time living there. I've always had a personal fascination of what it would be like to live there for a time. I'd love to spend a winter at McMurdo Station being the dishwasher or something like that. I worked in an isolated location before (not as isolated or extreme as Antarctica!) for a number of months and liked it. We didn't have phone, television or internet coverage and didn't have much use for keys or money. Didn't have to pay for rent or upkeep either. It was a good way to pass a few months.

Got it myself over Christmas and have it to read at some point in the near future. I'm a big fan of his Templar and Crusader books and his documentaries do be very good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The Dark Forest by cixin liu.

2nd in series of three

I think nonacademic historians like Dan Jones are freer to use colloquialisms, contemporary analogies etc. which makes their work more approachable to plebs like, but hopefully without sacrificing rigour in the process...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I started Dune, but had to abandon it....because of the writing style. Will just watch the film instead.

Currently reading The Sure Thing, about the life of Barney Curley.

• Advertisement

Re-reading The Great Gatsby, a great novel full of terrible people.

Returning Light by Robert L. Harris

The author has been a warden on Skellig Michael for over 30 years and this book is his memoir of living and working on the iconic rock off the coast of Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Masters of Deception, by Michelle Slatalla - Pretty cheesy but it's a good read if early days hacking/computers is your thing.

Make Me, by Lee Child - Another brilliant release from Lee, Reacher gets me hyped up and this book has a shock factor to it some of his other ones just don't match. Would definitely recommend but it's not for the faint of heart I will say that, parts of it are very cruel.

Icebound in the Arctic: The Mystery of Captain Francis Crozier and the Franklin Expedition by Michael Smith

I enjoyed reading this captivating account of the life of Northern Irish explorer Captain Francis Crozier who travelled to both the Arctic and Antarctica over the course of his career. He would also be second in command of the Franklin Expedition that disappeared in the Arctic in the 1840s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Rereads Lessons of History by Durant and Durant.

Surviving the Storms: Extraordinary Stories of Courage and Compassion at Sea by the RNLI

This book comprises of 11 different real life stories of rescues by the amazing men and women of the RNLI across Britain and Ireland. Corks' very own Castletownbere RNLI makes an appearance.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• The Book of Two Ways by Jodi Picoult.

"When Dawn Edelstein is in a plane crash, her last thoughts are not of her husband, but of a man she hasn’t seen in fifteen years. When she miraculously survives, Dawn has a choice to make. Should she return to her husband and try to work out their marriage? Or should she run away to Egypt to pursue a man and a degree that she left behind?"

Came across this a couple of weeks ago and picked it up for €7. The only other Picoult booked I've read was 'My Sister's Keeper' which I really enjoyed. I had a quick look at the back of the book and thought the premise looked interesting so thought I'd give it a go.

I started it this afternoon and I feel like I've just begun a degree in Egyptology. I think this is one I'll be donating to the local library on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

The Promise:Damon Galgut reads like an AnneEnright family novel, i recommend except not for MaeveBinchy readers1

Notes from an Apocalypse: A Personal Journey to the End of the World and Back by Mark O'Connell

Informative, funny and moving: everything you want in a book really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

ha, this mentioned in what I am reading: Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murakami)

Advertisement