Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are knackeries on strike at the moment?

Yep...

And maybe they'll be in no hurry back..only downside for them will be having to deal with pretty bad smells at the end of it...

Otherwise, every day they're out will cut their collection costs, as they'll have far better match up in collections when they'll have numerous days deaths to collect...like getting paid 2 or 3 for the cost of 1..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

alps wrote: »
    Yep...

And maybe they'll be in no hurry back..only downside for them will be having to deal with pretty bad smells at the end of it...

Otherwise, every day they're out will cut their collection costs, as they'll have far better match up in collections when they'll have numerous days deaths to collect...like getting paid 2 or 3 for the cost of 1..

How many animals die on your farm??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If a farmer has 100+ cows calving, there will always be a few lost. Stop the nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There was another strike in September I think. Weather was warm enough. I had a calf born dead. I was told to cover it and wait until the strike was over. I have a calf at the moment with brain damage . Just wondering what the story was as I dont expect it to live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Yeah, could last a while too. The Dept has issued guidelines for storage of animals until the strike finishes.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-issues-animal-carcass-storage-advice-during-regrettable-strike/

Just bury the bodies and throw the ears in a bag in the freezer...

Just bury the bodies and throw the ears in a bag in the freezer...

Under no circumstances are you allowed bury it. I dont know if you're joking or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Rang my provider and he said when they do go back at it they'll be focusing on cow's first. He said they aren't open for drop offs either? Have a calf here awaiting collection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There was another strike in September I think. Weather was warm enough. I had a calf born dead. I was told to cover it and wait until the strike was over. I have a calf at the moment with brain damage . Just wondering what the story was as I dont expect it to live

That's the only consolation atm, at least it's still cool. I had an animal waiting through the last strike, it wasn't nice when the wind changed to blowing towards the house.

The knackeries are talking about a doubling of collection prices if the Dept don't up their payments to the knackeries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My tip for a dead calf is if you have a loader bucket tip it up over the carcase.keeps animals from getting at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭straight

Water John wrote: »
    If a farmer has 100+ cows calving, there will always be a few lost. Stop the nonsense.

Nope

I had 2 sets of twins today. One set is 2 heifers sobthats fine. My question is the other set are Male and female so she's a marten. BUT the cow had 2 big seperate cleanings. An old man told me before if they were in 2 seperate bags that she would be suitable for breeding? Is it true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »
    I had 2 sets of twins today. One set is 2 heifers sobthats fine. My question is the other set are Male and female so she's a marten. BUT the cow had 2 big seperate cleanings. An old man told me before if they were in 2 seperate bags that she would be suitable for breeding? Is it true?

Happened here before. She is breeding away here still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

I’ve a freemarten here in calf to her fourth calf. I can’t remember if it was two separate cleanings or not at birth. It does happen but it’s very rare.

You'd know by lifting their tail sometimes. Vet was showing me here one time. Put another heifer calf beside her and compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭visatorro

Left gate of shed open with no silage in front of cows. I wonder what mess I'll see in the morning!

Under no circumstances are you allowed bury it. I dont know if you're joking or not

Fair enough, it could be a tough stew alright if the bags got mixed up,
    But I can bury my St Bernard when he conks it, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Fair enough, it could be a tough stew alright if the bags got mixed up,
    But I can bury my St Bernard when he conks it, right?

only thing you can legally bury now is humans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I asked a few vets over the years and they all say only 2 or 3% chance they will breed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

wrangler wrote: »
    only thing you can legally bury now is humans

Reminds me of the time I was in the vets, and people in front of me had like brought in a sick stray cat that had been terrorising the neighbours to be put down! They were not impressed with the cost of putting him down (something like 60/80e?), and really really weren't impressed with the fact that to have it cremated would cost like another 180e or something! I half felt like interrupting and saying I'd find a hole on the farm n bury him for 20e, but I decided against it lol.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    How many animals die on your farm??

The odd one...happens neighbours too, and make some cost saving if the can collect at least be number in the same region.

The huge cost to the knackeries is long journeys to collect single animals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was congratulating myself this morning about how quiet my heifers were this year when one of them nailed me on the shoulder:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I was congratulating myself this morning about how quiet my heifers were this year when one of them nailed me on the shoulder:o

One to go here and never had a quitter bunch in parlour ,in the calving shed there different have to watch them c closely only for I was around when at least 6 of them calved they’d of killed there calves pucking them around shed against wall,gates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Any one ever grove concrete tractor slats in a slatted floor how did it turn out ?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Well here's a potential suggestion.

Why don't we form cooperatives or local depots for slurry storage? so something like a huge lagoon or tower be constructed in every parish and local farmers can drop slurry in there to get them past bad weather events like this. Farmers would only use it when really necessary as it would cost them to transport it to the shared location and they would have to take the slurry back when the weather improves. You could have local tillage lads taking from the depot as well. Farmers could still be obliged to have their 12 weeks storage or whatever it is.

It seems madness to me that every farmer in the country is pouring money into concrete tanks and extra capacity when it might only be used every few years. Have a set amount that a farmer must have - such as the current situation, but rather than impose more costs on individuals to increase this take a more joined up approach to it and have shared storage

Sorry for going.back to this but the government couldn't do anymore to help you put slurry storage in place.
    Say a tank costing 100k
    12.5 %vat back 12.5k
    Ytf60% is 52.5k leaving 35 k .tax relief at we ll say 50% is 17k so so the tank is costing you 18k and the gov is putting 83 k into it. old farmer 40% =35k tax relief on 53k is 26 k so thats a cost.net cost 27k and the gov contributes 73k.to be honest there is no excuse for.not having enough storage and my view you either buy a trailling shoe or put an extra 6 weeks storage i place if you intend using contractors

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    The odd one...happens neighbours too, and make some cost saving if the can collect at least be number in the same region.

The huge cost to the knackeries is long journeys to collect single animals...

When you've livestock you've deadstock. Was talking to knackery man , no lorries going out until Tuesday at least

mahoney_j wrote: »
    One to go here and never had a quitter bunch in parlour ,in the calving shed there different have to watch them c closely only for I was around when at least 6 of them calved they’d of killed there calves pucking them around shed against wall,gates etc

That's unusual, we've had only a few cows like that here in mt lifetime and their related through one NR cow.
    What breeding are the heifers? Or is it some other factor?

That's unusual, we've had only a few cows like that here in mt lifetime and their related through one NR cow.
    What breeding are the heifers? Or is it some other factor?

No idea all hol fr all quite in shed walk thru term no issue must be hormonal ????,you’d be in dread at first milking big unbelievably quite for heifers

When you've livestock you've deadstock. Was talking to knackery man , no lorries going out until Tuesday at least

I was getting a bit cocky losing no calf the last 2 years. Had a stillborn this morning and another that was born with brain damage or something. She can't put her legs under her and keeps turning back her head. No coordination. Can't win them all unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The wildness is almost bred out of dairy heifers. I remember having to help my father get them milked before school. Jumping gates and kicking. Today they walk in and stand. We had to just tie one for a few days this year.

• Advertisement

I was getting a bit cocky losing no calf the last 2 years. Had a stillborn this morning and another that was born with brain damage or something. She can't put her legs under her and keeps turning back her head. No coordination. Can't win them all unfortunately.

That's what my one is like. Eyes rolling etc.

Gillespy wrote: »
    The wildness is almost bred out of dairy heifers. I remember having to help my father get them milked before school. Jumping gates and kicking. Today they walk in and stand. We had to just tie one for a few days this year.
    A bit of handling and traiming goes a long way with cattle, a lot of them were raised half wild long go.

A bit of handling and traiming goes a long way with cattle, a lot of them were raised half wild long go.

Alot of it is genetics. We had AAC straws here before and they'd all break your arm every day. Alot quiter this year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

K.G. wrote: »
    Sorry for going.back to this but the government couldn't do anymore to help you put slurry storage in place.
    Say a tank costing 100k
    12.5 %vat back 12.5k
    Ytf60% is 52.5k leaving 35 k .tax relief at we ll say 50% is 17k so so the tank is costing you 18k and the gov is putting 83 k into it. old farmer 40% =35k tax relief on 53k is 26 k so thats a cost.net cost 27k and the gov contributes 73k.to be honest there is no excuse for.not having enough storage and my view you either buy a trailling shoe or put an extra 6 weeks storage i place if you intend using contractors

Trailing shoe won’t dry out wet ground, unfortunately. I’ve got one, I should know.

With grants like you’ve described, it’s most incredible that farmers blame regulations/weather for not having sufficient storage. There’s no excuse.

Check out "Madigan foal squeeze" which mimics a rebirth, often used for falls and may work in calves....interesting to try it out

K.G. wrote: »
    Say a tank costing 100k
    12.5 %vat back 12.5k

Fair point but are grants not capped at a certain figure thought it was 40% of 40k max. Also tax relief isn't always at the high rate esp these days but again you still make a fair point however margins are getting tighter for investment particularly anyone on the beef side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Grant funded cap ex is also grossly over engineered to the extent that in many cases it’s cheaper to do without and with none of the bureaucratic nonsense.

Trailing shoe won’t dry out wet ground, unfortunately. I’ve got one, I should know.

With grants like you’ve described, it’s most incredible that farmers blame regulations/weather for not having sufficient storage. There’s no excuse.

Well the.point is you are either in a position to spread at every available opportunity or you build a bit of flexibility in to the system while you wait for.contractor/weather.i be.managed to get some out the last 2 Thursday s and got a third out in January. Contractors were only going around doing half days with lads here to get everyone with some spread.nobody panics about getting slurry out when they should in the first half of the year.we only think about slurry when cows are inside

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Anybody know the approximate cost of production of a litre of milk. Feed,silage,veterinary and fertiliser. Everything bar cost of any investment or loan repayments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I think the sky holidays will be a thing of the past for a year or two..

• Advertisement

Mach Two wrote: »
    Anybody know the approximate cost of production of a litre of milk. Feed,silage,veterinary and fertiliser. Everything bar cost of any investment or loan repayments.

Why not include them and crucially a
    Wage .greenfield kk was a modelled lie cost farm with everything costed was circa 33/35 cent .

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Why not include them and crucially a
    Wage .greenfield kk was a modelled lie cost farm with everything costed was circa 33/35 cent .

Everyone has different fixed costs i.e. loan repayments. As for the wage. Don't know how much one should allow for that. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Everyone has different fixed costs i.e. loan repayments. As for the wage. Don't know how much one should allow for that. Any suggestions?

If you think you're a useless gob****e and you're only worth like 15k/yr, then put that in. However hopefully you appreciated your skill set better than that!

There all costs to producing milk as is your time unless your happy to work for nothing .as for wage for the hours we do 35/40 k minimum .itll rake the shiny gloss off the crap peddled out from profit monitors every year .

We are being derailed. What is the cost of producing milk per litre. Keep your wages and fixed costs separate.

We are being derailed. What is the cost of producing milk per litre. Keep your wages and fixed costs separate.

Not possible fixed costs are costs of producing milk as is valuing your time ,u happy to work for free ......that’s my problem with figures quoted they can be massaged whatever way lads want things put in and left out to suit

It depends as can vary a lot depending on stocking rate, land type, cow type etc. I can check mine later on but my variable costs are higher than they should be for example for the amount of meal I fed the output should be better again just an example of how they can vary.
    The lads also have a fair point. If putting a plan together put in a figure of 35 to 40 k for your own wages at least and allow for profit from the farm at different milk prices to see how it may effect repayment capacity in the future

You need to look at the full picture on all farms..

Investment needs to be repaid, but investment should lead to efficiencies...therefore the farms with the higher investment should have the lower common costs..larger milking parlour throughout should lead to reduced labour bill etc..

Why don't you take out the cost of stock, machinery, etc as well while you're at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

No urea spread yet.hope to get the cows out in the next week. Should I still spread these paddocks that will be grazed hopefully in the next 2 weeks or leave them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement