Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts of an unapologetic teacher

Options
  • 13-09-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Having read the predictable anti-teacher comments stemming from 99problems1 silly teacher post, "Advice:Become a teacher" one thing has become clear to me. Not one of you have a single objective argument to justify anti teacher sentiment. Its always the same sound bites from the usual vessels. Its just so lame.

Let me share.....
    I am a 36yo and I teach religion and geography. I am on point 9 on the pay scale, which is 47k a year. I am not married. Most terms, I work approx at least 18 hours a week, but some times more depending on how many exam classes I have. Most days I finish in the afternoon or else I have a large portion of the morning off. The only work I choose to do over the summer is invigilate exams to collect a nice lump sum. Other than that, the summer is mine to relish as I see fit. Most days I go to cafes for breakfast, morning gym sessions, day trips etc, etc. I am well off AND I FREAKING LOVE IT! I worked hard to get where I am and as the title suggests, I'm not the least bit sorry.

Now, of course this attracts all sorts of judgement. From friendly slagging by family and mates to heated discussions with friends of friends in social settings. But very occasionally, I will meet some barfly or tosser in the smoking room who apparently knows better. He/She will then proceed to explain why teachers are a "joke", like I was missing this information all along. Their rants are usually composed of one or more of the following;

1. "Your a teacher? Ah you have it handy so"
    2. "You lot are always looking for more money, sure your off for the summer ffs wasters"
    3. "You wouldn't last in the private sector let me tell ya, we have to work for a living"
    4. "Automatic wage increase is a joke,you don't deserve it"
    5. "Always f**king going on strike"
    6. "I cant believe my taxes are paying for this bullsh*t"
    7. "Sure ya cant fired, lazy b*stards"

Soooooooooooooo unoriginal.

Yes,
    I am off for the summer, its great. Of course I want more money. Why the F would I want to be in the private sector?? Its awful. Wage increases are the best. Striking is a day off. My tax pays for sh*t too.

I have often made the point that If you want those perks then become a teacher. If you fundamentally disagree with how teaching is conducted in Ireland then make a complaint to the dept. of education/local TD  or get elected and change the system. Otherwise I don't want to hear your dull commoner opinions. However my comebacks are usually always met with "yeah well teachers are a still joke" or some such muttering.

Unless someone can provide a solid, objective reason to justify anti-teacher sentiment, I can only assume the root cause of this agitation is (1.) Jealousy, (2.) Hate their own job and are miserable in it (3.) Not the brightest.

So, that is the perspective of an unapologetic teacher. For those of you who still have a problem with my profession I will leave you with two thoughts:

1. Not my fault you picked an unsatisfying career
    2. I just don't give a Fu*k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

18 hours a week

You must be exhausted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

With the way that post is constructed, with it's rambling points leading nowhere, thank **** you don't teach English.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,091 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The reason no one gives a **** about teachers is because no one gives a **** about kids, Frequently, not even the parents.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

JizzBeans wrote: »
    Having read the predictable anti-teacher comments stemming from 99problems1 silly teacher post, "Advice:Become a teacher" one thing has become clear to me. Not one of you have a single objective argument to justify anti teacher sentiment. Its always the same sound bites from the usual vessels. Its just so lame.

Let me share.....
    I am a 36yo and I teach religion and geography. I am on point 9 on the pay scale, which is 47k a year.
    I am not married. Most terms, I work approx at least 18 hours a week, but some times more depending on how many exam classes I have. Most days I finish in the afternoon or else I have a large portion of the morning off. The only work I choose to do over the summer is invigilate exams to collect a nice lump sum. Other than that, the summer is mine to relish as I see fit. Most days I go to cafes for breakfast, morning gym sessions, day trips etc, etc. I am well off AND I FREAKING LOVE IT! I worked hard to get where I am and as the title suggests, I'm not the least bit sorry.

:D

This is a genuinely good effort, can't wait to see where this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Teachers are always whining about pay. But you never see a shortage of teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

For real my friend! Not posted five minutes and the champs in here are proving my point lol

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

So you don’t give a **** but start a thread on the internet to defend your choice of profession....right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As troll posts go....a C-

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteClosed for review!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

with a name like that, you sound very mature. Thank you for your “18 hours” of service a week. Have a great day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

It is rather unfortunate that teachers still have such significant issues with basic grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

As troll posts go....a C-

Grading system has changed. No more A,B,C.

It's either 'In Line with Expectations' for JC

Or for LC higher level maybe a H4

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

It’s not your fault. Teachers start their career wanting to make a difference but they are brainwashed by the rot in the public service.

Unionized by little dark haired men with little bellies telling them to slow down.

They lose all touch with reality after two or three years.

Fecal merry go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Let me share.....
    I am a 36yo and I teach religion and geography. I am on point 9 on the pay scale, which is 47k a year. I am not married. Most terms, I work approx at least 18 hours a week, but some times more depending on how many exam classes I have. Most days I finish in the afternoon or else I have a large portion of the morning off. The only work I choose to do over the summer is invigilate exams to collect a nice lump sum. Other than that, the summer is mine to relish as I see fit. Most days I go to cafes for breakfast, morning gym sessions, day trips etc, etc. I am well off AND I FREAKING LOVE IT! I worked hard to get where I am and as the title suggests, I'm not the least bit sorry.

Now, of course this attracts all sorts of judgement. From friendly slagging by family and mates to heated discussions with friends of friends in social settings. But very occasionally, I will meet some barfly or tosser in the smoking room who apparently knows better. He/She will then proceed to explain why teachers are a "joke", like I was missing this information all along. Their rants are usually composed of one or more of the following;

2. "You lot are always looking for more money, sure your off for the summer ffs wasters"
    3. "You wouldn't last in the private sector let me tell ya, we have to work for a living"

Yes,
    I am off for the summer, its great. Of course I want more money. Why the F would I want to be in the private sector?? Its awful. Wage increases are the best. Striking is a day off. My tax pays for sh*t too.

I have often made the point that If you want those perks then become a teacher. If you fundamentally disagree with how teaching is conducted in Ireland then make a complaint to the dept. of education/local TD  or get elected and change the system. Otherwise I don't want to hear your dull commoner opinions. However my comebacks are usually always met with "yeah well teachers are a still joke" or some such muttering.

Unless someone can provide a solid, objective reason to justify anti-teacher sentiment, I can only assume the root cause of this agitation is (1.) Jealousy, (2.) Hate their own job and are miserable in it (3.) Not the brightest.

So, that is the perspective of an unapologetic teacher. For those of you who still have a problem with my profession I will leave you with two thoughts:

Hardly a surprise you're single.
    I was always told, "those who can do, those who can't, teach."

Pity you can't find a partner or buy an apostrophe with all your time and money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve no beef with teachers, I’m jealous of the holidays but don't begrudge them the holidays, don’t think they deserve them but that’s the deal they got and best of luck to them with it.

It's the yapping from teachers that annoys people
    They've some of the best working conditions and pay per hours worked of any public job.

Yet no sector of the workforce complains more about their pay and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Rodin wrote: »
    It's the yapping from teachers that annoys people
    They've some of the best working conditions and pay per hours worked of any public job.

Yet no sector of the workforce complains more about their pay and conditions.

Nurses complain a fair bit too,

BDI wrote: »
    Nurses complain a fair bit too,

Not as much as teachers and certainly they strike less often
    Who goes on strike more often than teachers?

Not as much as teachers and certainly they strike less often
    Who goes on strike more often than teachers?

US Air Force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭gifted

Ye're great day babysitters though lol lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Let me share.....

Yes,

That post or pre tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Let me share.....

Yes,

You are dead right. However if I was the minister in charge you would be teaching classes for those that wanted them over a part of the summer ,as part of paid grinds or the like, and correcting exams as part of you contract.
    And cameras in the teachers room to stop riding etc !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Teaching is great in your 20s and 30s but then when you get a bit older and most of your friends are advancing in dynamic careers, meeting interesting people from abroad, developing new perspectives and coming into their prime as leaders, influencers and potentially becoming authorities in certain fields you'll be stuck talking the same old insular ****e to the same old people who do the same thing as you day in day out.

I don't begrudge teachers in the slightest, in fact I pity them slightly since we have to make this decision at such a young age and teaching really has zero room for maneuver.

Each to their own however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Pity you can't find a partner or buy an apostrophe with all your time and money.
    Despite the wind-uppy approach, the above is the kinda thing they mean though. Why is it hardly a surprise that they are single or a pity they can't find a partner (dunno that they can't either)? That's not really relevant.

That saying relates to people who teach something they can't make a career out of - like drama, singing, journalism, art etc. And it's not a very fair saying either because those jobs are hard to come by - only so many to go around - and it's not always lack of talent that causes people to go with the more secure option of teaching. Teachers are always gonna be needed for those disciplines anyway.

But that saying doesn't really apply to school teaching.

I don't hear teachers complain about their jobs - what I do hear them complain about is people saying they have it so easy. The job itself isn't though - some schools are terrible to work in. The easiest would be primary teaching in a quiet, small school, and I don't hear anyone doing that job complaining about it. They might whinge about parents but we all complain about some aspect of our job. I do know of people who have changed career from secondary teaching though. Even the holidays didn't entice them to stay. I wouldn't do it in a fit.

It is a good job, but I guess what baffles teachers who get moaned at just for being teachers (and nothing else) is that the moaners didn't become teachers, or that they won't accept that teachers are obviously needed, and the holidays are primarily for the pupils. Teachers definitely shouldn't get any extra pay for Department of Education work in the summer though. That does bug me. And I do see self described teachers post with terrible spelling/grammar/punctuation on social media.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Despite the wind-uppy approach, the above is the kinda thing they mean though. Why is it hardly a surprise that they are single or a pity they can't find a partner (dunno that they can't either)? That's not really relevant.

That saying relates to people who teach something they can't make a career out of - like drama, singing, journalism, art etc. And it's not a very fair saying either because those jobs are hard to come by - only so many to go around - and it's not always lack of talent that causes people to go with the more secure option of teaching. Teachers are always gonna be needed for those disciplines anyway.

But that saying doesn't really apply to school teaching.

I don't hear teachers complain about their jobs - what I do hear them complain about is people saying they have it so easy. The job itself isn't though - some schools are terrible to work in. The easiest would be primary teaching in a quiet, small school, and I don't hear anyone doing that job complaining about it. They might whinge about parents but we all complain about some aspect of our job. I do know of people who have changed career from secondary teaching though. Even the holidays didn't entice them to stay. I wouldn't do it in a fit.

It is a good job, but I guess what baffles teachers who get moaned at just for being teachers (and nothing else) is that the moaners didn't become teachers, or that they won't accept that teachers are obviously needed, and the holidays are primarily for the pupils. Teachers definitely shouldn't get any extra pay for Department of Education work in the summer though. That does bug me. And I do see self described teachers post with terrible spelling/grammar/punctuation on social media.

It's the moaning that annoys others.
    Many have tough jobs but they're too busy doing those jobs to be giving out or crying about it.

Teachers seem to have plenty of time for both. Not surprising given their part-time hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

I never said I was single, pity you can't read.

Teachers are the real heroes. And they don't even wear a cape during daylight hours.

I never said I was single, pity you can't read.

Single as in unmarried.

• Advertisement

Teachers are the real heroes. And they don't even wear a cape during daylight hours.

da16wkf-535551d1-ad36-4d22-a9e4-c49d59de1463.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzY4NDQxZWQ3LWE5OTUtNDY1NS04OWEwLTJiM2Q5ZTk1MGYzYlwvZGExNndrZi01MzU1NTFkMS1hZDM2LTRkMjItYTllNC1jNDlkNTlkZTE0NjMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0._hZRqW0Iv77nz7L9icNRVhzy4t-k8mBVCQniHhnzJBo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement