Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Starbucks is taking the building on the corner of South Mall and Parliament Street, right? I ask because it has been painted blue and I always thought they aimed for brown, block, green and cream colours. I also thought that someone had already been arranged for the newly amalgamated building on Patrick's Street but new stickers have gone up on the window saying it is available to let

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

The site has been cleared for the new student flats across from the tennis village, took the photo on a bit of a run last night.

Speaking of student flats, the building on the old petrol station site on Western Road is flying up, if only the event centre moved as quickly (or at all!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Story on the Echo about a new development on the South Mall. Looks pretty nice I have to say! Very surprised to see it can house 450 employees; I guess the site must wrap around to the back, there's a large yard/car park behind that block.

No idea if any tenants yet lined up.

who_me wrote: »
    Looks pretty nice I have to say! Very surprised to see it can house 450 employees; I guess the site must wrap around to the back, there's a large yard/car park behind that block.
    It does :) And I agree, it does look good! Nice to see some development on that street.
    opus wrote: »
    The site has been cleared for the new student flats across from the tennis village, took the photo on a bit of a run last night.

Speaking of student flats, the building on the old petrol station site on Western Road is flying up, if only the event centre moved as quickly (or at all!).

Is that [URL="http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/More-student-apartments-granted-permission-on-Coca-cola-site-f492843e-9b2e-4660-9dc8-f2fb09e24814-ds]"]this[/URL]?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There is houses by where that picture was taken right? I think thats the start/end of the walk that cuts through the back of CIT.

Nice area.

DylanGLC wrote: »

No it's across the road from the tennis village on Model Farm road.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    There is houses by where that picture was taken right? I think thats the start/end of the walk that cuts through the back of CIT.

Nice area.

Yup it's called Rossbrook afair, often take in that path on a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I don't think there is any free units in Mahon Point there all more or less rented out at this moment in time.

Speaking of it I am shocked they have not tryed to get planing to build a few more shops on to it at this stage as I am there every single day and it is a busy shopping centre as all the shops all ways seem to have someone in them buying something.

As it would not be that hard to build on to at all thanks to it being a box you can add in quite a few areas

Two free units at Mahon Point at the moment, one downstairs which used to be the old GAME store & one upstairs which was the old St Michael's Credit Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The old gamestop unit is Newbridge sliver opening soon

So only a really tiny unit left there now in the old credit union place.

I work next to it and go there every day and I think there is proof and a need for a few more units there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

bizz213 wrote: »
    I believe it to be Fact. 2 different people from different environments confirmed for me today. A Builder & An auctioneer. Both involved in it.

i heard today from 2 other people it is Costa not Starbucks going into South Mall/Parliment Bridge Corner. One said he heard it. the other said he heard it and that thy had pulled out of deal already. so dunno what the truth is tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mahon Point has created traffic chaos in the surrounding areas and has added to the woes on the South Ring Road. It is a very good quality suburban and indeed regional shopping centre but further expansion should be resisted. It needs better public transport links.

If Cork city centre is to continue to thrive, it should remain the primary shopping location. This makes sense as it has the best public transport links and has a variety of other land uses such as offices, restaurants, hotels and housing.

If you want to see what unbridled development of suburban shopping centres has done to a city, just take a look at Limerick. Its core has suffered a huge loss of retail. Do we want an American style hollowed out "doughnut city" with clogged suburban roads and central area in its death throes?

Speaking of mathan it's public transport links are very good.

During the week the 202 stops right outside the place every 10 mins to and from the town. They moved the spot from the halting site about time i might add.

The there is the 215 that runs every 30 mins and stops in front of mathan and the offices as well. They have extra buses on when work starts and ends.

I find it a very easy area to get in and out off and the traffic is not as bad on to you hit the city. From the eleasaym to the key 30 mins yesterday due to bumper to bumper traffic in the city no idea what was going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see soundstore have closed their oliver plunket st shop yet another empty unit.

ofcork wrote: »
    I see soundstore have closed their oliver plunket st shop yet another empty unit.

Not to be bad I seen them working in that shop I think something is moving in there.

Also, I don't see the point of sounds like that been in the city centre ?. AS like who really is able to get a 50 inch TV from a shop like that ?. Or anything big ?. Laptops at best if what it will be able to sell.

While there store in Blackpool I understand As it can sell large items quite easy same as their store in Wilton.

Fashionable address on Patrick Street, suit your plans?, Irish Examiner

FASHION retailers are to the forefront of interest in the just-amalgamated retail unit at No 83-85 Patrick Street in Cork city centre, where four floors now provide 5,600 sq ft of modern retail and office/storage, in an investment by Davy Real Estate.

Fashion retailers are eyeing up these three recently amalgamated buildings.

Agents Aisling Doyle and Lia Dennehy of Savills, Cork, say with the scaffold removed and the three facades revealed at this ‘High Street’ junction with Careys Lane, retail interest is expected to consolidate in autumn.

They seek a rent of €250,000 pa, with 2,800 sq ft retail available at ground.

Despite a currently patchy retail scene since early 2017, recent positive moves have seen The Capitol now completed with 40,000 sq ft MSU retail space occupied by TK Maxx’s HomeSense, next to Lifestyle Sports, plus the Oyster bar, with 50,000 sq ft of offices overhead. Lifestyle Sports relocated from the former River Island unit on Patrick Street and their smaller space there is expected to come available soon as a sub-let.

Another home goods company Sostrene Grene opened for business a number of months ago at No’s 74/75 Patrick Street in the former Mothercare building, and Savills’ Ms Dennehy says a deal is just now agreed at Quills by the Savoy, opposite Debenhams, to an as-yet unidentified, non-fashion new trading arrival to Cork.

O’Callaghan Properties Opera Lane scheme is now fully occupied, after H&M grew their presence to 35,000 sq ft. And Penneys are finally likely to lodge for planning of major expansion in the next month, and internal changes at Merchant Quay are also set to start shortly under its new ownership.

However Savills yesterday confirmed that the Italian restaurant chain Carluccios has pulled out of plans to open in Cork city centre at French Church Street, at the back of the Moderne building. The Moderne’s makeover was also overseen by Davy Real Estate, which holds €290m of Irish real estate assets. It achieved a three year return of 27.3% up to the 31st December 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Little Island is doing well for good food outlets recently.

Chopped opened in the Spar and Perry St. is gone in by the post office, not sure is Perry St. open yet though as its only the signage changed i havent seen advertising or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

ofcork wrote: »

Jon clare clothes shop moving n there. Penneys have bought their building further down the street.
    Sad to think there is now no real electronics shop in the city centre afaik

Dbu wrote: »
    Jon clare clothes shop moving n there. Penneys have bought their building further down the street.
    Sad to think there is now no real electronics shop in the city centre afaik

They can't/won't compete on price with what people can get online so it's not surprising really that they are gone.

They can't/won't compete on price with what people can get online so it's not surprising really that they are gone.

I bought my Panasonic from them out in Walton soundstore that is.

Was cheaper then online and got it the best day.

Paid 1200 for it was 1650 in Currys, Harry Norman's did not sell it and just walked off when I asked can you get and never came back . Richer sounds was 1400 or so for it.

Soundstore where only ones who wonted to sell the tv to me.

Yah also I don't think you be able to get a 58 inch tv posted to easy ha.

Would have to disagree with that really
    Always found them good to do a deal.
    Fair enough buying small electronic items online, but a 55 inch tv, I would definitively buy instore if I had the option.

A pedestrianised street in a city center isn't a great location for the likes of the SoundStore, their Wilton and Blackpool outlets will be doubt continue to do well.

Got a great TV off them last year at a great price. They are well able to compete with online options and the likes of HN etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Augeo wrote: »
    A pedestrianised street in a city center isn't a great location for the likes of the SoundStore, their Wilton and Blackpool outlets will be doubt continue to do well.

Got a great TV off them last year at a great price. They are well able to compete with online options and the likes of HN etc

agree with you here. These type of stores you need to be able to drive a car to the front door. I buy all my electronic and appliances from their Wilton location and find them always excellent and very competitive. I believe they are an Irish company as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, Sarsfield Rd, is usually my first stop for electrics. Was looking for a cooker hood recently. Picked up a piece of rubbish from DID, had second thoughts and bought a LUX 60 Model at Soundstore. Picked it up at their depot as it would take 5 days to travel, the mile to the shop???

Think the Crowleys, as in MEP are involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,820 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Newbridge opened in Mahon Today!

21032460_10155025700941925_1295903043358470942_n.jpg?oh=d566309a3dca9d78b28140723b6fe0a5&oe=5A1AC330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Looks great, they have some nice jewellery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,820 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Looks great, they have some nice jewellery.

I think it's good knowing that if you want a Newbridge item there is a good chance that they'll have it!

Yah also I don't think you be able to get a 58 inch tv posted to easy ha.

I'be bought two 40 inch tvs online in the last few years, both came from the UK and no issue delivering. Not much difference delivering a 40 inch or a 58 inch from a delivery point of view.

I'be bought two 40 inch tvs online in the last few years, both came from the UK and no issue delivering. Not much difference delivering a 40 inch or a 58 inch from a delivery point of view.

Id still rather like to buy these goods in a store, or from a website in Ireland at least

There is when it takes nearly 3 people to carry the box into the house. As yes it was that big.

The tv as as thinner then a phone but some house the box was the size of small car ha. It was listed as 48kg to make it worse.
    Id still rather like to buy these goods in a store, or from a website in Ireland at least

Nail on the head with tv's I done the mistake of the tv that I brought from power city online before this did not get to see it in action it was useless and then it broke twice and had to go to court and the fight some more to get my refund.

But anyway when your spending over 1200 euros on a t.v. you won't to know what it's like on person

Grand designs on coffee pod? Then go expresso your interest
    THERE’s chatter about the arrival of a Starbucks on Cork city’s South Mall, but, in advance of any confirmation of another city swoop by the bean giant, Cork City Council’s Grand Parade Kiosk 3, at the riverside junction with South Mall comes back up to let.

The 430 sq ft unit has been vacated by Electric bar owner Ernest Cantillon’s cafe Yellow Sub.

Offers are sought for cafe and/or retail use by Rob Coughlan of Cohalan Downing by September 25, for a four year and nine month lease. Mr Coughlan, who located Bean and Leaf at Grand Parade/Oliver Plunkett Street last year, declined to comment on rents, likely to be in excess of €20,000 pa.

Meanwhile, major corner building works are well advanced at the previously derelict, South Mall/Parliament Street corner property bought by the Cleary family via Allsops.

Speculation has suggested Starbucks may occupy, as John Cleary Developments are landlords to the coffee leviathon already in Mahon, and at One Albert Quay. JCD also plan a restaurant at a new office scheme at 85/86 South Mall.

Meanwhile, Mark Kavanagh of Lisney confirms a letting of the long vacant retail niche building, previously Maddens Electrical, by Parliament Bridge.

Seeking c €20,00 pa, he cut a five year deal with the 2016 Wahl British and Irish Barber of the Year Andrea Raymond, and Leanne Edwards, who’ll trade as Asylum Barbers, from late August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

That maddens rental spot must have been empty for about 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Great to see those two buildings finally being tidied up! I saw the "Asylum" name up already, was baffled about what was going in there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know who's going in where Panda Mama were on Parnell place? I'd heard it's supposed to be a pizza place but haven't heard anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know who's going in where Panda Mama were on Parnell place? I'd heard it's supposed to be a pizza place but haven't heard anything else.

It says in this article that Sliced is going in there.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/full-menus-on-offer-as-cork-restaurants-make-changes-457585.html

They already have a place in Ballincollig

Does anyone know more about what is going into the building at the junction of the South Mall and Parliament Street (rumoured to be Starbucks)?

Does anyone know more about what is going into the building at the junction of the South Mall and Parliament Street (rumoured to be Starbucks)?

I heard that rumour & also one that it was another UK based coffee chain, must have a good stare in the window next time I'm walking past for any clues!

I heard that rumour & also one that it was another UK based coffee chain, must have a good stare in the window next time I'm walking past for any clues!

Its starbucks

Caffe Nero? That would be nice seeing as they lost St Patrick Street (which actually, the shop they were supposed to go in - The Calendar Club - was open today). I would prefer Starbucks just because I really like how they design their buildings inside and outside, but Costa, Starbucks or Caffe Nero would all be good.
    Its starbucks
    Is that confirmed?

Caffe Nero? That would be nice seeing as they lost St Patrick Street (which actually, the shop they were supposed to go in - The Calendar Club - was open today). I would prefer Starbucks just because I really like how they design their buildings inside and outside, but Costa, Starbucks or Caffe Nero would all be good.

Is that confirmed?

Guy from city council confirmed it

Cafe nero opening in the old Ovens bar afaik

Guy from city council confirmed it

Cafe nero opening in the old Ovens bar afaik

Nice to know, thanks :) Weird Starbucks are going for white/cream but it looks great compared to what was there before. It will really add life to that area, especially when added to the new barbers further down the street.

And they are, the hoardings cover the whole thing so you can't see inside but it must definitely be nearly done as it has been going on for months. Hopefully it will open around Halloween

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard about tenants for Navigation Square or the South Mall offices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Donut craze seems to have died down, 2 shops gone already and I see prices reducing.

rob316 wrote: »
    Donut craze seems to have died down, 2 shops gone already and I see prices reducing.

Whats the order place ? I know oh my donut is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Interesting, which other one is gone? Looks like the Shack will come out on top from the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Whats the order place ? I know oh my donut is gone

Cream on oliver plunkett street and I see their Daunt Square place are doing all donuts for €2 now.

Huckleberrys and The Shack to last.

It was inevitable. I wonder how Sticky Fingers is doing. I think Huckleberrys will be fine due to being first and their huge social media following (although I have passed it quite a lot recently and have not seen anyone inside there buying anything). The Shack is always full whenever I pass it, their location couldn't be better. It is also clever having all of their doughnuts at the window (I see many people standing looking in), and their choice is a lot higher than Huckleberrys (and much more consistent). The only of the doughnuts available I actually buy now is the regular sugar one in The Shack (I think it is €2/€2.50), but even at that not often - you could probably buy 12 just as good in Dunnes for the same price.

• Advertisement

Is Oh My definitely gone? They were claiming to be on summer holidays on their Facebook but that's been going on too long now to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

Oh my is definitley gone. Trying to sell the lease at the moment. Shack will be gone before xmas as penneys start to build there.

bizz213 wrote: »
    Oh my is definitley gone. Trying to sell the lease at the moment. Shack will be gone before xmas as penneys start to build there.
    ...? The Shack is nowhere near Penneys? There are two buildings and an alleyway separating them on Oliver Plunkett Street and at least six on the other street (Cook Street? I suck at street names). I can't image the new Penney's being that big (or at least I hope not as many of those buildings, especially The Shack's, are really nice and it would be sad to see them going). Also, planning permission hasn't even been sought for yet so it wouldn't be Christmas, and The Shack would probably just move elsewhere, maybe where Cream were.

Also, speaking of Penneys, would that mean the end of Vero Moda, Jack & Jones and Tiger (at least in those spots)? That would be a shame. As well, the internals of the Vero Moda and Jacks & Jones store are really nice, especially the pretty grand staircase. I couldn't see Penney's fitting into.. that style. It is possible Jack & Jones and Vero Moda could both move into the recently amalgamated building next to Golden Discs but it would still be sad seeing them moving from where they are. Honestly, I wouldn't be against the refusal of permission if Penneys plan on taking up that whole block on Patrick's Street (I thought it was just on Oliver Plunkett Street).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

...? The Shack is nowhere near Penneys? There are two buildings and an alleyway separating them on Oliver Plunkett Street and at least six on the other street (Cook Street? I suck at street names).

Pennys have big plans going back years including a controversial takeover of a public laneway (Elbow Lane):

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/penneys-are-on-a-roll-264817.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pennys have big plans going back years including a controversial takeover of a public laneway (Elbow Lane):

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/penneys-are-on-a-roll-264817.html

Sure half the lane ways in Cork are defacto private lanes now, anyway.

The one by the left side of the Bodega running to North Main Street is permanently locked and the lane ways leading from Pope's Quay to Dominick Street are locked at the whims of the residents, night or day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement