Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

First letter of the first word is N, 8 letters in that one, seven in the second

National Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We had some success with Maarek last week. Really hoping that Gordon Lord Byron will follow up tomorrow in the Sprint Cup. Hogan has been very sweet on this all week maintaining that the horse just doesn't go over the Curragh, and with this one having some excellent Haydock form - who are we to disagree that this isn't the target. BetVictor have gone 9/1 with 4 places at 1/4 the odds. Really do not think there's a better bet than this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hilarious PC. I'm like a giddy kid here on bus after the two footie results too.

Anyway after backing both now ew I'm down to last 10 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Still debating whether or not to back it tomorrow. Fancy one at what'll be a big price sunday at my favourite venue might wait for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Hawkeyedenoo running at Ascot tomorrow, plenty of 16s available.

• Advertisement

The smell of his colon on my fingers

10540919_1358007247546328_8557278592077565842_n.png?oh=1531523d014f0d40ee0bdb9675787a37&oe=5661F0A0

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

We had some success with Maarek last week. Really hoping that Gordon Lord Byron will follow up tomorrow in the Sprint Cup. Hogan has been very sweet on this all week maintaining that the horse just doesn't go over the Curragh, and with this one having some excellent Haydock form - who are we to disagree that this isn't the target. BetVictor have gone 9/1 with 4 places at 1/4 the odds. Really do not think there's a better bet than this tomorrow.

Only showing up 1/5th odds 9/1 Coral 1/4 available if you can get on there.

Sirtoyou wrote: »
    Only showing up 1/5th odds 9/1 Coral 1/4 available if you can get on there.
    :mad: you are correct and I am blind. too late now, the bet is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Still debating whether or not to back it tomorrow. Fancy one at what'll be a big price sunday at my favourite venue might wait for it

First race? I must enquire from my auld lad:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

First letter of the first word is N, 8 letters in that one, seven in the second

national service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭gazza1

Anyone around Navan is there any rain there?

Stuck on a crossword here can anyone help me out, obligatory duty in the armed forces, two words

Im in navan and it hasnt rained today.Bloody cold though

sdoc13 wrote: »
    First race? I must enquire from my auld lad:P

Yeah but doubt it's the one you're thinking of. Backed Service there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Yeah but doubt it's the one you're thinking of. Backed Service there

I think have it. Your favorite trainer perhaps?

Pat Flynn the best trainer in the country. Nancy Astor ran well over 6 furlongs in a strong Leopardstown handicap the last day in a race that is working out extremely well. Backed her at 16/1 last night hopefully she can pay for my too many pints last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

Stuck on a crossword here can anyone help me out, obligatory duty in the armed forces, two words

Out tomorrow PC....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Simple Verse reinstated as Leger winner. Correct decision in the context of the rules IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Simple Verse reinstated as Leger winner. Correct decision in the context of the rules IMO.
    Rules?

If a head win after all that barging by the winner is acceptable then UK racing is beyond farce. A truly appalling decision, a cheats charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

tryfix wrote: »
    Rules?

If a head win after all that barging by the winner is acceptable then UK racing is beyond farce. A truly appalling decision, a cheats charter.

I'm surprised it seems so shocking.

The verdict of the appeal is far more consistent with the way the rules are applied in UK racing than the verdict of the Doncaster stewards. Personally my preference is for the "best horse on the day" to get the race (within reason obviously) - I think in this case it was clearly Simple Verse.

Interesting piece on it here too:
    https://steeplechasing.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/what-andrea-atzeni-should-have-said-to-the-stewards/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I'm surprised it seems so shocking.

The verdict of the appeal is far more consistent with the way the rules are applied in UK racing than the verdict of the Doncaster stewards. Personally my preference is for the "best horse on the day" to get the race (within reason obviously) - I think in this case it was clearly Simple Verse.

Interesting piece on it here too:
    https://steeplechasing.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/what-andrea-atzeni-should-have-said-to-the-stewards/
    The head on is far less kind to the filly's position than the side on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Unbelievable stuff. It seems every time the stewards change a result (which must be once every 1000 races, if even that) it gets appealed and very often overturned, making them even less likely to alter results in future races. To be honest I thought the race where Storm the stars hung into Bondi Beach was even more blatant and should have been overturned also.

Some serious self criticism needed from the authorities involved, which I seriously doubt we will see..and the train keeps rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 MYOPIA

Anyone got Pricewise for Cambridgeshire today ???
    ? Fancy Portage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr Ed2011

MYOPIA wrote: »
    Anyone got Pricewise for Cambridgeshire today ???
    ? Fancy Portage ?

2.00 Newmarket, Muntazah (1pt win @ 14/1 generally). 3.50 Newmarket, Musaddas (1pt win @ 25/1 generally) & Portage (1pt win @ 12/1 generally)

Advised antepost: 3.50 Newmarket, Earth Drummer (1pt win @ 25/1).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Anyone around Navan is there any rain there?
    Still debating whether or not to back it tomorrow.

Elliott brings 3 over to Ayr tomorrow including National Service who steps up to 7 furlongs( 15:50) for the first time . The other 2 seem to have better chances but if the step up doesn't work for NS, I think a trip to C&D Foods may be the next option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Cannot help but notice the deathly silence from a few of the more regular posters of late, including the man who's thread this is named after. If someone wants to pm me so I can understand, please do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

I suppose its the calm before the NH season.

Looks like the play-offs for us. Dont like to see who we could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

They have all been out at grass for the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Yes, with NH and Dundalk kicking back into action, we need Rossom and PC to help pay for Christmas like every other year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Super Sunday! Pity I'm broke. woop.

I see Duroob is being sent over to England again today. Same old story for the old boy, slow as a boat and stays all day. E/w punt only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

I see Duroob is being sent over to England again today. Same old story for the old boy, slow as a boat and stays all day. E/w punt only.

Seemed to be goin ok when came down today
    Followed this horse a small bit a really does stay on well
    Mite give him one last go next time out

Advertisement