Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRT madness!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Also meant to say, that cable will get you the best RGB picture you can.

However, if you're eager to get it tested now, your monitor more than likely has a composite input too. All you need is one cable for that.

It's really simple actually, just connect a composite video cable out of a console into one of these and that'll go right into the BNC composite input on the monitor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNC-Plug-to-Phono-Socket-Adapter-Gold-Plated-Composite-Video-Cable-to-CCTV/383002811809?hash=item592cbf1da1:g:TfAAAOSw8iJeKiCM

I actually have a bag of them if you want one.

If you spare a few i'd be much obliged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

safetyboy wrote: »
    If you spare a few i'd be much obliged

I got a bag of those off o1s1ns recommendation, absolute life savers

So did anyone get the rest of those monitors?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've heard nothing from no one about arranging a collection, so I'm still waiting I suppose.
    I'm not really sure what to expect at this stage.

Nadda,
    Dont think I'll be able to get them this week/weekend even if they do come up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll certainly pick one up, if the call comes in.
    I'm off tomorrow, so could get in to collect during the day, should the call come...

• Advertisement

any idea how to connect that console bnc connects

i just get black and white on the PC engine, no manuals out there tbh but looks good, the RGB works fine so I assume it has colour, i'll try the saturn next these are all Japanese btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Black and white picture is typical with composite NTSC signal on a Pal monitor

I have the cable oisin recommended there is no colour options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have the cable oisin recommended there is no colour options

Does you PC Engine output RGB? Some of them are stock composite only.

• Advertisement

tried the JP saturn which is the same the rgb changes colours lovely, ithink its the BNC connections

tried the JP saturn which is the same the rgb changes colours lovely, ithink its the BNC connections
    file

file

Happy's

file

doesnt like upload pics from phone..

Any word on how the rest of us might obtain one of these yet, or are they lost??

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Any word on how the rest of us might obtain one of these yet, or are they lost??
    I'm in hospital but will get on to the guys

I'm in hospital but will get on to the guys

I'm sorry to hear that, hope all will be well with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,505 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Question for you CRT fans - what is a 32" Trinitron worth?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Esel wrote: »

Wide-screen? Not a lot unfortunately. People can't give them away. They're not desirable for retro games as older consoles tend to use 4:3.

Don't mess with the ratios man!

Speaking of ratios...

Picked up a Dell 2001FP LCD monitor on Adverts (he's got a second one for sale as well), its a 20" 4:3 but supports 15KHz and 31KHz inputs.
    Primarily got it for use with my Amiga and Archimedes computers as they do switch between 15K and 31K depending on what resolution and screen mode you're in. But it should work with consoles as well, interesting to see how it scales 240p input..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭geotrig

Esel wrote: »

somebody will take it alright but you'll have to pay them !:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

was offered one two weeks ago... noooo thank you :)

Master of the Universe

It's amazing how much 4:3 screen size shrinks once you go widescreen.

32 inch sounds big, but the vertical is actually quite small on a widescreen. When you display 4:3 in it's proper ratio, the picture size is tiny. Lot of bulk and weight for dead screen space.

29 inch 4:3 trini will have a smaller footprint and will give a bigger picture than a 32 inch widescreen from what I remember.

29 inch 4:3 trini will have a smaller footprint and will give a bigger picture than a 32 inch widescreen from what I remember.

2 inches bigger in fact..

http://screen-size.info/

I can only get b/w its a BVM has rgb and they work but none of the consoles are in colour driving me mad

No colour

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

2 inches bigger in fact..

http://screen-size.info/

That's mad. So a 32 inch widescreen at 4:3 is only really giving you a 27 inch 4:3 picture?
    I can only get b/w its a BVM has rgb and they work but none of the consoles are in colour driving me mad

So you have all the RGB BNC cables (and the Sync cable) going into the correct BNC inputs?

Have you got RGB selected correctly as the input? You need to have Ex Sync pressed too. (that might be on the pull out drawer)

That's mad. So a 32 inch widescreen at 4:3 is only really giving you a 27 inch 4:3 picture?

So you have all the RGB BNC cables (and the Sync cable) going into the correct BNC inputs?

Have you got RGB selected correctly as the input? You need to have Ex Sync pressed too. (that might be on the pull out drawer)

cant find the manual online its a bvm2015p

Here's a pick of the back looks like no audio

pic is over 4meg ffs

anyone got a link or photo of the bnc set up?

Master of the Universe

Upload it here and then post a link

https://imgbb.com/

If you can upload a picture of the drawer buttons and pots that would help too.

Did you press the External Sync button?

Here's where it is on my 2016p

sync.png

• Advertisement

Hard to see from the pics but it doesn't look like any of inputs are RGB ?

2nd bank of inputs look like they might be rgb but very hard tell from any off the pics

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »
    2nd bank of inputs look like they might be rgb but very hard tell from any off the pics

Yeah the back is the exact same as mine, that's an RGB input board in the middle.

Safetyboy - are you connecting the RGB cables up to the middle board?

There's a sync BNC input that you also have to connect on the back.

The picture looks good and synched though. I've a feeling it's to do with the actual button configuration on the drawer. (Might not have RGB and sync selected)

cheers will try later so I use the middle row of connectors

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yep that's right. The first row are all composite only, not RGB.

The composite board in that monitor doesn't support NTSC 60hz signals (you need to buy a separate board for that) - only PAL 50hz.

If you send an NTSC 60hz Japanese signal to a PAL 50hz only input board like you are doing, you'll get black and white. So that explains what you are seeing.

Connect the RGB cables up to the middle board. You'll see the letters R, G & B beside each BNC connector.

There are two connectors per RGB colour. Use the top one for each. (The bottom one sends video out so you can loop it on to another monitor)

Then make sure the Sync cable is also connected to the Sync BNC input. (Fairly sure that's on the first composite board and you already have it plugged in)

Once you have all of that connected, make sure to press the RGB button on the pull out drawer (it's under the 'INPUT SELECT' bank of switches on the top right of the drawer)

thank god for o1s1n explaining that as my attempt would have been a gibberish mess !

Master of the Universe

Took a few attempts to write that out without it sounding like gibberish :D

It's annoying that some earlier professional monitors don't support both NTSC and PAL signals over composite. The later ones do.

Although it's probably for the best in this case, as if it did then it would have given a colour picture and Safetyboy would have been accidentally using composite forever. :eek:

Here's the manual for the BVM 2016P which I have. Looking at yours, they're almost identical, just have different controls on the pull out board.

https://cdn.retrorgb.com/assets/monitormanual/Sony_BVM_1916_and_BVM_2016P.pdf

Safetyboy would have been accidentally using composite forever. :eek:
    [/url]

Like the lad on reddit that had his monitor plugged into his mobo instead of his gfx card for 3 years and couldn't figure out why his pc was **** :D

Master of the Universe

Like the lad on reddit that had his monitor plugged into his mobo instead of his gfx card for 3 years and couldn't figure out why his pc was **** :D

Did that seriously happen? Hahaha ah jaysus!

I got a manual last night its 260 pages happy days. :) all i want to play is some saturn and PC engine that have been lying there for about 5 years :) the genesis too, I'll leave the nintendo in hiding to save clutter, I'll play Ico on Ps2 also.

its going in the bin unless fixed in 1 day

Master of the Universe

its going in the bin unless fixed in 1 day

Did you do what I said in the above post?

Don't bin it, stick it in the Marketplace!

yes Oish its working like a charm. I'll deal with the sound later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement