Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Say hello to the the newest member of BEVOC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KCross wrote: »
    Its been a while since I used the granny cable but I thought it was much longer than 9hrs from 0-100 on a 24kWh. I thought I remembered a few times having to give it 12hrs. Are you sure of the 9hrs? Its also temp dependent of course.

Its also possible that the cell balancing takes longer on the 30kWh since there are more cells to balance!?

It was only half empty.. Yes am sure about the 9 hrs
    Anyway thanks: will fit a time clock on it so as it it can't start before 11pm and see if it is full at 05:50

[I know we talked about this before but its just to stop the power getting to the car before 11pm

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

KCross wrote: »
    Its been a while since I used the granny cable but I thought it was much longer than 9hrs from 0-100 on a 24kWh. I thought I remembered a few times having to give it 12hrs. Are you sure of the 9hrs? Its also temp dependent of course.

Its also possible that the cell balancing takes longer on the 30kWh since there are more cells to balance!?

Well to be honest I haven't timed it from scratch, I just know that when I have timed it, it added around 12% per hour and I've read somewhere that the timing is linear on the granny, rather than slowing down for the last 10-20%.

All speculation of course, but 12 hours for half a charge does seem excessive.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    All speculation of course, but 12 hours for half a charge does seem excessive.

Thanks

My concern is that there is something else faulty with the car as well as the TCU.

I will replicate the issue next weekend:
    i.e. fully charge and leave it unplugged one night, then drive a bit and plug it back in, all with the timers set as before, be ready at 05:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

It was only half empty.. Yes am sure about the 9 hrs
    Anyway thanks: will fit a time clock on it so as it it can't start before 11pm and see if it is full at 05:50

[I know we talked about this before but its just to stop the power getting to the car before 11pm

why would you fit a time clock , the timer in the car does it all.

granny cable on a 30 Kw, takes upwards of 12 hours from 20% too full

I use a 32A EVSE , 4 hours to do the same thing

best of luck with you leaf

mine has 50k km after 12 months !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I suspect that fitting a timer might actually stop charging altogether. At least with the type2<->type1 the cable has to be plugged in the EVSE before the car end is plugged in. Otherwise the charging won't start. Not sure what happens if there is a power cut at night. Will the charging commence afterwards, does anybody know? And yeah, why would you do it with the timer built in the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

BoatMad wrote: »
    why would you fit a time clock , the timer in the car does it all.

granny cable on a 30 Kw, takes upwards of 12 hours from 20% too full
    samih wrote: »
    I suspect that fitting a timer might actually stop charging altogether. At least with the type2<->type1 the cable has to be plugged in the EVSE before the car end is plugged in. Otherwise the charging won't start. Not sure what happens if there is a power cut at night. Will the charging commence afterwards, does anybody know? And yeah, why would you do it with the timer built in the car?

The issue is he is using the granny cable while waiting for the proper EVSE and the car is starting the charge immediately when he plugs it in as it figures he needs 12hrs to charge on it.

Bear in mind he has the start time blank in the timers so that the car figures out when to start itself. He could, before he gets the proper EVSE, set the start time to 11pm and that would stop the issue in the short term but then he'd be worried if the car has enough time to complete the charge before he leaves at 6am.

The problem will go away once he has the proper EVSE.

Opening balance on the GOM this am: 211 kms
    To/from gym at speed limit speeds: 30 km ( short burst at 120 km, rest at 80/50]

To from Greystones: out on M1/M50 at mostly 100 km [ 66km]
    Back across town via Dalkey.

117 km trip plus 30 from this am = 147 km
    Closing GOM balance:40 km

So 187 vs 211 not bad for that kind of driving.

Projected charge times:
    05:30 hrs at 6.6kW
    15:30 hrs at 3.0kW
    Started it at 19:15 so wonder what it will be like at 05:50!

Update: 15th
    It cut off at 05:50
    11 bars on the GOM, 198 kms
    Projected remaining charge times:
    01:00 hrs at 6.6kW
    02:00 hrs at 3.0kW

10:45 hrs on the granny cable

Heading up to Coalisland now for a spin!

samih wrote: »

I cut off the charging from the RCBO last night and it restarted no problem when I put it back on.

Mission objective was to get to Coalisland, via Banbridge for some gear. [ minimum 157km one way]
    Mission outcome was a fail.

Left Malahide with 198 km on GOM.

Stopped in Applegreen near Castlebelligham for a boost.

Looked at e-cars and planned next stop in Banbridge so navigated by e-cars.

Didn't pay too much attention to the app as I know the road v well.
    Was watching the icon move along the road so happy days:
    got so far:
    go right, left, left again, and again: brought me back to where I turned right so was wondering was was up.

Had lost data connection on phone in Newry so the charging points dropped off the map but the icon kept going!

Anyway, found the charging point, out of action but live on e-cars.

So I have 40km left so have to turn back, punch in Quay carpark in Newry as I have some shopping to do and car nav tells me there is a CP and I take it handy speed wise.
    Out of commission due to building work.
    Next
    Bridge Street CP: ICED by 2 and vandalised
    Next
    Hill Street CP: ICED by 2
    Next
    Bagnals Castle: both sides knackered.
    I rang the help desk... brutal service.
    Next
    Get to Five ways Service station in Newry with 4km left and wait for a car to finish off.

While it is supposed to be a Rapid CP, it gave an estimate of 1 hour to fill up so I gave it about 45 mins.

Drive at 100 km/hr real speed from Newry and limp into Great Gas station near Donabate with nothing left and fill it up again.

Met a friend for coffee so when we came back out the charge had stopped and battery was in the red: 50 degrees C on Leaf Spy Pro...

Tomorrow will try it again!

If I don't get a full fill in Newry will have to abandon it again as the stuff on route is either too slow or knackered

Mission objective was to get to Coalisland, via Banbridge for some gear. [ minimum 157km one way]
    Mission outcome was a fail.

Left Malahide with 198 km on GOM.

Stopped in Applegreen near Castlebelligham for a boost.

Looked at e-cars and planned next stop in Banbridge so navigated by e-cars.

Didn't pay too much attention to the app as I know the road v well.
    Was watching the icon move along the road so happy days:
    got so far:
    go right, left, left again, and again: brought me back to where I turned right so was wondering was was up.

Had lost data connection on phone in Newry so the charging points dropped off the map but the icon kept going!

Anyway, found the charging point, out of action but live on e-cars.

So I have 40km left so have to turn back, punch in Quay carpark in Newry as I have some shopping to do and car nav tells me there is a CP and I take it handy speed wise.
    Out of commission due to building work.
    Next
    Bridge Street CP: ICED by 2 and vandalised
    Next
    Hill Street CP: ICED by 2
    Next
    Bagnals Castle: both sides knackered.
    I rang the help desk... brutal service.
    Next
    Get to Five ways Service station in Newry with 4km left and wait for a car to finish off.

While it is supposed to be a Rapid CP, it gave an estimate of 1 hour to fill up so I gave it about 45 mins.

Drive at 100 km/hr real speed from Newry and limp into Great Gas station near Donabate with nothing left and fill it up again.

Met a friend for coffee so when we came back out the charge had stopped and battery was in the red: 50 degrees C on Leaf Spy Pro...

Tomorrow will try it again!

If I don't get a full fill in Newry will have to abandon it again as the stuff on route is either too slow or knackered

welcome to the danger zone !.

There does seem to be a particular problem in NI at present , and five ways is a terrible spot for the FCP as its constantly ICED

Also you need to be very careful of the GOM

heres my example , Gorey , Terenure, Gorey ( 200Km exactly for me ) 30 kwh leaf

start with 40 percent , recharge in AppleGreen Cullenmore, no delays

charge to 92% , car was at 5 bars, went to 6 bars , GOM reported 190Km range , charge took about 20 mins , interesting power meter showed 22Kwatts being fed to battery at 92% !!!!

drove at 90kmph to terenure, , returned 4 hours later , still 6 bars of heat. GOM reported 170Km at 72% battery . distance to run 100KM

Now I know the M11 route well and its very hilly south of Bray south exit, typically it consumes 40Km of range in hill climbs

SO , in theory I had 130km range for 100Km linear distance

to be on safe side and trying to avoid recharging again ( it was 1am ) , I drove the 100km at 80kmph, arrived home 1 hour 15 minutes , with 22km and 12% on the meters .The only place I run that low is on a home bound trip , never to another FCP

so even with 170km in " stated " range " , the journey was very tight and in fact would not have been possible at speeds over 80kmph in my view

of course the alternative plan would have been to drive at 100kmph , and recharge at Cullenmore( 10 mins probably ) , resulting in much the same arrival time

• Advertisement

Arrived at the Five ways CP in Newry with 2% left, having run some errands in Dublin before heading North..
    Took on 24kWh in an hour: output seems limited to about 50A and it has a time limit of one hour.
    Did shopping in Lidl and some other stuff in the big shopping centre across the road.

Coalisland is about 110kms round trip from Five Ways.
    [Toilets upstairs in the diner attached to the garage.]
    GPS took me cross country and car is very nice to drive along these roads.
    Drove at the speed limit, most 100km, some 80 and of course 50 in towns.

Came back to Five Ways, took on another 7kWh of Lizzies Leccie, would have taken more except needed to be southeast of Dundalk before 18:00.
    [That was 50kWh of juice over two days from that station: wonder post Brexit how will they measure that import... just kidding!]

Went to the 22kW CP in Blackrock Co Louth on the way home just for recon and a pit stop: CP is not where shown on the e-cars maps, about half a mile away in the Centra Car park. [ps: public toilets down the steps from the Centra shop, always good to know for me!]

Stopped off at the M1 Applegreen RCP between Exit 16 and Exit 15 and
    took on 21 kWh in 25 minutes.

Drove at 137km/h (display speed) for the rest of the way home and stopped off at the RCP at Great Gas near Blakes Cross: didn't need any juice, I just said I would take a fill if it was going, CP read card but would not go past that so I was too tired to call e-cars and so just came home.
    375km in total, 2,100 kms since March 1

Good day out:)

Lessons learned:
    Easy to select wrong Applegreen Garage from the list on the Leaf Sat Nav: too many steps, at 100km/hr, to select between north bound vs south bound, via looking at map for each one.

Need to explore loading them up as addresses in the address book. EDIT: Can't be done on computer:eek:
    Wonder does the address book die if the 12V battery is disconnected

If plotting a trip, using the Sat Nav on the Leaf, and you need to pass by CP's, you need to navigate by CP.
    eg: before I left home I had taken, from Zap Map, the post code for all stations in Armagh and Dungannon.

The shortest route sat nav brought me through neither!

I didn't need them but its all learning...

Attached is the picture of the underside of this connection.
    I have been able to remove the two seat heating leads and the auxiliary.

Anyone know how it is unplugged from underneath?

Then, any ideas on how to remove the actual USB block from the console piece.

ps if anyone want to post the pic in the thread then please do so, its a skill that evades me, I think its a Mac problem
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What you up to Honda?

kceire wrote: »
    What you up to Honda?

Am considering leaving the iPod plugged in underneath the cup holder console so the cable, and iPod are both out of the way/out of sight.
    There is plenty room.
    The cup holder thing was already loose, I had a water bottle shoved in and it was tight due to snagging iPod cable and it all came away when I pulled up the bottle.

I also want to get a phone charger socket over the RHS of the steering wheel so as it can power the fone that is on the holder: I exploring where the key would be , the blank pops out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Am considering leaving the iPod plugged in underneath the cup holder console so the cable, and iPod are both out of the way/out of sight.
    There is plenty room.
    The cup holder thing was already loose, I had a water bottle shoved in and it was tight due to tight iPod cable and it all came away when I pulled up the bottle.

How will you update the iPod or add new music?

kceire wrote: »
    How will you update the iPod or add new music?

Not a requirement, have 3,300 tracks on at the moment and don't envisage a regular need for access.
    Anyway if I get it out I may conceal in the glove locker.

All just R&D but I don't want to damage the connection, hence the question
    [Maybe I need a REC ]:D

G maps suggesting M7 and M8
    its 247 kms, 2hrs :45 mins one way

Might look at M7 and M9 and the N25 from Waterford
    Showing as 286 km and 3 hrs :18

Will look at cars and zap maps but wondering about recent charging experiences down that way.
    Thanks as always

I cut off the charging from the RCBO last night and it restarted no problem when I put it back on.

just be aware that if you are charging on " timer override " in the leaf, it will not restart in the event of a power failure or temporary disconnect

Synopsis: At dual meter install time ESB bloke told me my earth was not neutralised, got a safety letter.
    Left me with opinion that it would not prevent the EVSE install, but that when it was done, it would cost €189 for him to come back to connect the earth tail to the meter.
    If it had been in place when he came, he would have done it.

EVSE not connected yesterday by the e-cars REC because of the No neutralised earth: need to get whole house certified: estimated cost of €500.00 plus any additional work that arises.
    So €500 plus 189 plus say 300 for extra work) is c €1,000 for a free EVSE!

To save the €189, you should establish if your installation has the earth neutralised before you order the Dual meter

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Jaysus :( That's the first year or so of savings ruined :(

What the hell is a neutralised earth? Is your house very old?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Jaysus :( That's the first year or so of savings ruined :(

What the hell is a neutralised earth? Is your house very old?

A piece of 10 sq. earth wire from the house earth-wire to the ESB neutral at the meter.
    It is in addition to the earth rod so belt and braces.
    House is late '60s, early 70's I need to check.

One REC whom I asked to call in for a look see told me, as have others, that they don't certify other people's work so he said it would require a complete re-wire if he was to do it.
    I have asked for that in writing.

Synopsis: At dual meter install time ESB bloke told me my earth was not neutralised, got a safety letter.
    Left me with opinion that it would not prevent the EVSE install, but that when it was done, it would cost €189 for him to come back to connect the earth tail to the meter.
    If it had been in place when he came, he would have done it.

EVSE not connected yesterday by the e-cars REC because of the No neutralised earth: need to get whole house certified: estimated cost of €500.00 plus any additional work that arises.
    So €500 plus 189 plus say 300 for extra work) is c €1,000 for a free EVSE!

To save the €189, you should establish if your installation has the earth neutralised before you order the Dual meter

its strange that houses wired to existing standards( i.e. only earth bars) are being denied installations. I'd get a RECI to simply install a 32A cable outdoor socket . and buy a charge master unit for 280 euros and plug it in your self

I love to see the legalities of why you are being denied an install. Installers are doing loop impedance testing for this install , which will fail with no earth neutral connection , but I fail to see the legislation that requires this test per se.

surely you can get a REC to install the earth link , that all you need, theres no requirement to re-cerify anything else, is there ?

Then you can ask for the re-install of the EVSE

Getting back to the actual car for a moment,:)
    on my last 3 ICE cars I adjusted the cruise control setup so as a mere touch of the brake pedal disconnected the cruise control.
    I am finding on the Leaf that it requires a good push.

So my question, is the cruise control disconnect using the the foot brake, a mechanical or electrical device?.
    Thanks.

Getting back to the actual car for a moment,:)
    on my last 3 ICE cars I adjusted the cruise control setup so as a mere touch of the brake pedal disconnected the cruise control.
    I am finding on the Leaf that it requires a good push.

So my question, is the cruise control disconnect using the the foot brake, a mechanical or electrical device?.
    Thanks.
    how could you " adjust " the cruise disconnect, its all in software these days

how could you " adjust " the cruise disconnect, its all in software these days

Just like we still need the bull for AI!, we still need switches.:D
    There is switch in front of the brake pedal which is prolly the brakes lights, it may also do the CC

Just like we still need the bull for AI!, we still need switches.:D
    There is switch in front of the brake pedal which is prolly the brakes lights, it may also do the CC

yes and in the leaf, that switch triggers the cruise disconnect , as it does in all cars

if there is any delay after switch detect, that would be built into the software of the ECU

yes and in the leaf, that switch triggers the cruise disconnect , as it does in all cars

if there is any delay after switch detect, that would be built into the software of the ECU

Perhaps not all as in 1998 S40 Volvo saloon, 1994 Volvo 850

Will strip out the muggins under the steering wheel and have a looksee

i have my limit set ai 0.10 bar and they are all within that,

Left at 06:30, arrived at 08:00
    Outside temp 6c, 8C at garage.
    Heating at 20c
    No wind, much mist.
    SOC starting....96.1%
    SOC at garage..20.1%
    Distance 144 kms with 31kms left all in B-eco mode
    Elevation change 53 metres
    First 30km to Newlands X at 60/ 80 on non-motor way and 90 on M50
    Next 100 at 90km/hr
    Last 14 at 80km/hr.
    Refilled with electrons there and then later at Carlow Four lakes retail on way back.

Tomorrow's mission is Malahide to Cobh
    so Urlingford, at 149kms looks doable based on todays trip.
    However if Ballacolla is available will stock up there.
    Cobh is 138 from Urlingford or 158 from Ballacolla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Implied range of 189km, that's very good. Your speeds were low though, I don't think I could live with that. Even if I would only have to do that on the occasional longer trip. I'd be afraid I would lose my concentration.

Advertisement