Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

verywell wrote: »
    Perhaps a Halogen Oven would be more suited to your needs.

I use mine all the time for Chicken, Chips, Spuds, Veg etc

Thanks, I've since researched it and decided that a halogen oven would be better for me than an Actifry. As the halogen does pretty much everything it's more versatile for what I need it for. I mainly cook for 1-2 people so it seems a lot more efficient than heating a full oven. Plus you can get airfryer attachments for them which get good reviews. I'm looking at buying the Andrew James model in the next while, the reviews on Amazon are pretty good for it and it generally seems to improve on the first generation models that have heavy and hot lids you need to put in a shaky stand. Later models seem to have a hinged door which appears better than a fully removable cover which is still plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Anyone got any tips on cleaning the son of a bitch? Rinsing out the main tray with hot water gets rid of most of the grease with a quick wipe down afterwards but it doesn't seem ideal. The basket obviously just needs to be wiped in warm soapy water and then wiped dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bateman wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on cleaning the son of a bitch? Rinsing out the main tray with hot water gets rid of most of the grease with a quick wipe down afterwards but it doesn't seem ideal. The basket obviously just needs to be wiped in warm soapy water and then wiped dry.

Yeah, it's a nightmare. I fill the tray with boiling water and lots of washing up liquid and scrub it with a long-handled plastic brush. After nearly two years now, it's showing lots of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I fill it with Boiling water and pop a dishwasher tablet in there. Leave it for a few hours to steep and come back and scrub and it comes up crystal clear !

Boiling water doesn't seem ideal for something made of plastic but will do that next time, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not sure which device people are talking about cleaning, actifry or airfryer.

The airfryer parts can go into a dishwasher. When mine is still hot I pour out any excess oil onto a plate and put in hot water and washing up liquid, so the water has covered the mesh. I then put this back into the fryer to heat it up. Then I leave it sit and steep and it usually rinses out fairly cleanly.

The paint/coating on the bottom of my airfryer basket has come off in several spots. I never used a scourer and they are off in clean circular dots, its like there was a flaw in the coating process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i have a shop and sell deep fat fryers (but not the airfryer/actifryer)

the 2 products that are most complained about are the tefal actifryer and dyson vacs. To the extent i won't stock either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

donegal. wrote: »
    i have a shop and sell deep fat fryers (but not the airfryer/actifryer)

the 2 products that are most complained about are the tefal actifryer and dyson vacs. To the extent i won't stock either.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Take a look at them on Amazon where there is over 500 reviews with a score of 4.5/5.

The thing about complaints is that people do it a lot more of it than they do praise. So for every complaint you've ever heard about a Tefal Actifry there are probably another 9 customers who are perfectly happy, at least the 500 Amazon reviews seem to suggest that.

Also on the Dyson thing, well opinion seems to be split. But as a retailer that shouldn't matter to you either because a good segment of the market have a Dyson and like it and when it comes to buying a new vac then they're highly likely to go for another Dyson. If you're not stocking them then you're potentially missing out on repeat business as customers go elsewhere to get what they want.

You'll always have some people complaining about a product but if you're actually selling it then it's important to remain objective and look at what the market is saying rather than listening to the 10% minority. If I were a retailer I'd stock Dysons over any other vacumn cleaner for one reason- they are the only vacumn cleaner company who runs TV ads and for a retailer that is gold because TV has a reach directly into the homes of every potential customer within a 20 mile radius of your shop.

donegal. wrote: »
    the 2 products that are most complained about are the tefal actifryer and dyson vacs.
    What are the complaints about the actifryer?

Often the complaints will have no bearing on my opinion, like the complaints about the airfryer not being as good as a deep fat fryer for chips, I knew it could never match it.

I remember seeing a bad review for a dvd of a Jaws anniversary boxset, user gave it 1 star since they liked sharks and thought the film gave them a bad name!

Talking to the professional cleaners in my workplace rate dysons very poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

the main gripe i hear about the actifryer is about how long they last considering their cost. (but alot of other people love theirs)

Dyson on the other hand is almost entirely negative. (500 reviews is very small compared to what i hear at work)
    The only customers that rave about them usually have replaced a very cheap vacuum with a dyson and its their first time owning a premium priced vacuum.

on the other hand people who have replaced a miele /nilfisk ect with a dyson have nothing good to say about them.

i only have a small shop and cant stock every brand of everything and customer feedback is very important when deciding what to get. And you might be surprised how small the dyson repurchasing market is , but i sell loads of nilfisk to exdyson owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

I was about to purchase a small deep fat fryer this morning as we would kinda need it from time to time when i noticed the actifry and other small fryers that only use 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil .
    Has anyone used these fryers, what's the food like out of them? Can you cook onion rings or French fried onion in it?they seem to be quite slow do they get very hot? Maybe hard on electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Bought mine for my mum as a gift for Christmas.. She never uses it so I took it back..:) Only use it for chips, be it frozen or freshly cut.. No oil needed for frozen chips and they turn out lovely. Usualy take about twenty minutes for a good quantity of frozen chips(maybe 3-4 bags)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

good deal (€123.49) on the slightly larger 1.2kg actifry for anyone in the market for one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057325626

Y'know the bags of frozen skinny fries you get in Lidl? Anyone know if they can be done in the air fryer and if so, how do they turn out? How much oil do they need?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Frozen chips need no oil as far as im aware.( i never use any)
    I mostly use Super Valu frozen chips and they turn out very nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Bateman wrote: »
    Y'know the bags of frozen skinny fries you get in Lidl? Anyone know if they can be done in the air fryer and if so, how do they turn out? How much oil do they need?

Turn out fine-about 15-20 mins depending on how many you have in. Keep an eye on them.
    No oil needed as previous posted said. The thicker chips are much better though in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Has anybody bought the Actifry 2-in-1? The idea of being able to cook a whole meal in one of these appeals to me but I'm wondering how effective it is. Reviews on Amazon seem pretty positive but it is quite expensive. You'd buy two of the 1.2kg ones for the price of one of the 2-in-1 ones which has a 1.5kg capacity and a top layer for cooking meat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Has anybody bought the Actifry 2-in-1? The idea of being able to cook a whole meal in one of these appeals to me but I'm wondering how effective it is. Reviews on Amazon seem pretty positive but it is quite expensive. You'd buy two of the 1.2kg ones for the price of one of the 2-in-1 ones which has a 1.5kg capacity and a top layer for cooking meat etc.

Purchase cost is a one off cost tho remember.
    Running 2 smaller ones with one for meat and one doing chips etc on the
    counter will in the end cost way more than running just 1 bigger dual layer
    machine electricity wise no?

In saying that has anybody actually worked out the running costs of these
    versus normal ovens or each model against each other?

Comparable food eg:
    1kg oven chips in Acti/Airfryer by 25mins by X amount of electricity used = X cost.
    1kg oven chips in normal oven by 25mins by X amount of electricity used = X cost.

Comparable food eg:
    1kg oven chips in Acti/Airfryer by 25mins by X amount of electricity used = X cost.
    1kg oven chips in normal oven by 25mins by X amount of electricity used = X cost.
    I have not tested it with a power meter but I know for sure my airfryer uses a lot less than a typical oven. The airfryer manual says to halve the time of frozen food like chips. So in your comparison the airfyer chips are 12.5mins vs 25mins in the oven. The perheat time is much quicker on an aifryer, it is so fast I rarely bother preheating it. I do say sausages or frozen chicken nuggets both in about 8mins, this is sticking them in and turning it on to 200C for nuggest or 180C for sausages, with no preheating.

After they are cooked the airfryer will keep them warm and cook on a little bit, but nowhere near the amount that a regular oven would. I really like this and sometimes factor it into my cooking times. e.g. have it cook for 2-3mins less knowing it will be sitting in the airfryer for 20mins after.

The airfryer is only about 1.5kW, you can see it turning off once it gets up to temperature. Lets say during my 8mins it is fully heating for 66% of the time, this means its like 1kW. If this was running for 1 hour like this it would use 1kWhr which is about 16cent or so. As its only on for 8mins, it is about 2cent.

The fan bit of it is always on but would use relatively little power.

I rarely use the regular oven anymore, only if my housemate has it on. I often come in and the oven is on but I want food quickly so use the airfryer. I am usually eating my cooked food before he even puts his food in the regular oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

rubadub wrote: »
    I have not tested it with a power meter but I know for sure my airfryer uses a lot less than a typical oven. The airfryer manual says to halve the time of frozen food like chips. So in your comparison the airfyer chips are 12.5mins vs 25mins in the oven. The perheat time is much quicker on an aifryer, it is so fast I rarely bother preheating it. I do say sausages or frozen chicken nuggets both in about 8mins, this is sticking them in and turning it on to 200C for nuggest or 180C for sausages, with no preheating.

After they are cooked the airfryer will keep them warm and cook on a little bit, but nowhere near the amount that a regular oven would. I really like this and sometimes factor it into my cooking times. e.g. have it cook for 2-3mins less knowing it will be sitting in the airfryer for 20mins after.

The airfryer is only about 1.5kW, you can see it turning off once it gets up to temperature. Lets say during my 8mins it is fully heating for 66% of the time, this means its like 1kW. If this was running for 1 hour like this it would use 1kWhr which is about 16cent or so. As its only on for 8mins, it is about 2cent.

The fan bit of it is always on but would use relatively little power.

I rarely use the regular oven anymore, only if my housemate has it on. I often come in and the oven is on but I want food quickly so use the airfryer. I am usually eating my cooked food before he even puts his food in the regular oven.

That's a good enough guesstimate, good man cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Got sucked into the whole "new year new me" malarkey and threw out chip pan. Very, very disappointed. Dry, tasteless chips.
    Cut chips all to the same size, dried them well before putting in but should I be doing something else?

heldel00 wrote: »
    Got sucked into the whole "new year new me" malarkey and threw out chip pan. Very, very disappointed.
    Which do you have, airfryer or actifry?

I have the airfryer, I was saying before it is not a deep fryer replacement, its just a fast fan oven. They really do themselves no favours, most of the negative reviews I see are about how its not a deep fryer replacment.

I would coat them well in oil and half way through cooking take them out and coat in oil again. Maybe even do this 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

heldel00 wrote: »
    Got sucked into the whole "new year new me" malarkey and threw out chip pan. Very, very disappointed. Dry, tasteless chips.
    Cut chips all to the same size, dried them well before putting in but should I be doing something else?

I parboil the chips for a few mins, drain , spray with oil and then season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10-12 mins. Gorgeous.

muirsheen wrote: »
    I parboil the chips for a few mins,
    Have you ever tried a low heat first?

I was wondering about giving them 10mins at 80C, so the water would not all boil off. I could leave them sitting in the warmth for another 10mins after or so, less hassle than a parboil. I know Heston recommended "boiling" potatoes at 80C or so.

I do sweet potatoes an put them in with no oil at all at first as I find it does not stick well when its wet. After a few mins the surface is dried off and it take the oil well.

I also wondered about dehyrating onions at a low temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Have you ever tried a low heat first?

I was wondering about giving them 10mins at 80C, so the we water would not all boil off. I could leave them sitting in the warmth for another 10mins after or so, less hassle than a parboil. I know Heston recommended "boiling" potatoes at 80C or so.

I do sweet potatoes an put them in with no oil at all at first as I find it does not stick well when its wet. After a few mins the surface is dried off and it take the oil well.

I also wondered about dehyrating onions at a low temp.

Never tried a low heat , never even thought of that. Really like these chips and they are free in slimming world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i tried the actifry for a week and sent it back,could not wait 30 mins to do chips,replaced with a philips airfryer and buying different brands of chips to see the different taste.making your own chips they state add some oil .i need the healthy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Which do you have, airfryer or actifry?

I have the airfryer, I was saying before it is not a deep fryer replacement, its just a fast fan oven. They really do themselves no favours, most of the negative reviews I see are about how its not a deep fryer replacment.

I would coat them well in oil and half way through cooking take them out and coat in oil again. Maybe even do this 3 times.

Tefal actifry but gave it another go this eve and they were gorgeous. Dried spuds well, chopped chips bigger, less time and a tad more oil. Happy out with it now!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

greasepalm wrote: »
    making your own chips they state add some oil .i need the healthy option.

This is because the frozen ones nearly always have some oil in them already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

How do people cook frozen burgers in philips . Ie big als burgers , what temp and time

Advertisement