Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options
145791058

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    holdmybeer wrote: »
    With postage, tax and rate conversion its around €80-90. Not bad but I reckon they will drop more in January.

    €71.26 if you select free shipping from amazon.

    Cant see them going lower tbh.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Doge wrote: »
    €71.26 if you select free shipping from amazon.

    Cant see them going lower tbh.
    Neither can I, I can see them doubling from that price though...


  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer


    Doge wrote: »
    €71.26 if you select free shipping from amazon.

    Cant see them going lower tbh.


    Doesn't the free delivery only apply to UK?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde


    holdmybeer wrote: »
    Doesn't the free delivery only apply to UK?

    Parcel Motel only costs€3.95.

    I'm so tempted....


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Free delivery on any Amazon order over £25 to Ireland, been that way for years.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170


    Thargor wrote: »
    Free delivery on any Amazon order over £25 to Ireland, been that way for years.

    ^^^^ This.

    Just make sure you specify free shipping out of the shipping options.


  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell


    Hi All,

    I have had a read through the whole thread and have decided to buy a Philips!

    PHILIPS HD9230/20 Viva Airfryer - Ink Black is on the Currys website for €109...........is this the correct one??

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    kellyshell wrote: »
    Hi All,

    I have had a read through the whole thread and have decided to buy a Philips!

    PHILIPS HD9230/20 Viva Airfryer - Ink Black is on the Currys website for €109...........is this the correct one??

    Thanks
    Thats the digital version with the LCD display and programmable timer plus the 2-tier shelf insert and I think one or 2 other accesories, most of us in this thread probably paid €130-€150 for the analogue version with no accesories so you're getting a bargain there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell


    Thargor wrote: »
    Thats the digital version with the LCD display and programmable timer plus the 2-tier shelf insert and I think one or 2 other accesories, most of us in this thread probably paid €130-€150 for the analogue version with no accesories so you're getting a bargain there.

    Happy Days!

    Thanks Thargor for getting back to me. It is ordered and will be collected this evening!

    Just in case anyone is interesting in buying one, the only place that has them in stock in Dublin is Curry's in Liffey Valley retail park.:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    I've been toying with the idea of making a PDF based on all the suggestions in this thread.

    Something to have prepared while I wait for my Airfryer to be dispatched.

    Meanwhile theres a few appealing AirFryer recipies here:

    http://eatingpleasure.blogspot.co.uk/p/recipe-list.html

    Just do a search on the page for "fryer".


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    Thargor wrote: »
    Thats exactly the ones I just reccomended in the other thread, its like they were designed for the Airfryer:

    Rp_Chips_PD7a_67375988b5.jpg

    Any of the McCain brands are usually perfect aswell but three times aldi prices.

    I presume you don't use any oil as there is probably oil already in these kind of chips?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Nah just throw them in the basket, Ive never added oil to anything in the Airfryer. Give them a shake now and then.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    Here's an ugly preview of the PDF attached.

    For some reason I thought there would be a lot more tips in a 10 page thread! :D

    If anyone wants to contribute some tips or cooking instructions I'd really appreciate it.

    Also would be great to see people throwing up links to recipies they've tried or haven't tried.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    So whats the deal with layering in the air fryer?

    Would it be possible to cook lets say, chicken drumsticks AND chips, provided you put the chips in at the right time.

    And if so, would it be better to put the drumsticks on top of th chips when they go in?

    The beasht might be arriving tomorrow!


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Oat23


    Got my XL air fryer from amazon.de last week and it's great. I had the actifry before it which served me well for many years, but was falling apart. Being able to cook chicken wings/drumsticks/breasts at the same time as chips is nice. The oil coming out of the chicken would ruin the chips if you tried that in the actifry.

    The champion chips above have been sold out both times I checked aldi. I tried the champion steak cut ones, but didn't like them. I hope the green bag is better when I get my hands on a bag.

    Tried these aldi burgers in it as well with the brioche buns they sell. 10 min at 200. Perfect.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Doge wrote: »
    So whats the deal with layering in the air fryer?

    Would it be possible to cook lets say, chicken drumsticks AND chips, provided you put the chips in at the right time.

    And if so, would it be better to put the drumsticks on top of th chips when they go in?

    The beasht might be arriving tomorrow!
    You have to keep them separate enough, if you put the drumsticks on top of the chips they'd be a greasy mess, meat one one side chips on the other is usually fine, must get around to making a divider out of an old casserole dish or something some day.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    Tried these aldi burgers in it as well with the brioche buns they sell. 10 min at 200. Perfect.
    Thats my Saturday cheeseburger recipe right there, some of Aldis European sliced cheeses like woodsmoked Edam and that are great on them aswell.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    Thargor wrote: »
    You have to keep them separate enough, if you put the drumsticks on top of the chips they'd be a greasy mess, meat one one side chips on the other is usually fine, must get around to making a divider out of an old casserole dish or something some day.

    I didnt realise it came with a separator.

    Thank god for unboxing videos! :pac:




    I need to start looking into unofficial accessories for the unit, the official ones are very expensive like that 2 tier rack for example.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    It wont! New ones dont get them, the scabby cnuts. If you're just cooking for one its fine anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell


    So I have used the airfryer twice since Friday....................first session sausages, rashers and waffles were on top with the help of the shelf! Delicious. Second session was breast of chicken, kept checking it every few minutes but I will know for next time the correct time to set.

    Very pleased so far!


  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer


    I use the toaster for the waffles, makes quick work of them on defrost setting. Might try them in Actifry just to see how they get on.

    I also recommend making the cheese toasties with a single slice of bread, especially with the thicker pieces of bread, cheddar and some worcestershire sauce for a quick snack. Took me a few times to get it just right.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell


    I have always done waffles in the toaster but because my airfryer came with a shelf I said I would try and glad I did. would still stick with toaster if making waffles on their own but its handy to cook with everything else all together!

    does the airfryer toast the bread? I have a shop bought quiche....would that be ok in the airfryer?

    thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Quiche and waffles perfect from mine first time. Keep an eye on the waffles though and take them out the miinute they look ready or they'll turn into cardboard.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    So the airfryer came today, first thing I tried was a chicken drumstick, and loved the crispyness of it on the outside.

    That crispiness it creates seems to be a double edged sword though as I was disappointed with how the chips came out.

    Very crispy and just tasted like well cooked oven chips tbh.

    I used the Champion Fries green pack from Aldi and cooked from frozen.

    I pre heated it at 200 degrees for 3 minutes and cooked for 17 mins, giving a shake half way through.
    I think I'll try it without preheating the next time and maybe cook for 15 mins instead, but I'm doubting there will be a huge improvement.

    The chips I had were definitely incomparable with chips from the chipper.

    Heres a pic, the drumsticks were done in the oven btw:


    nxwLKww.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    I also ordered the food separator from the philips uk store today and got 35% off from using a combination of the 10% off and 25% off codes on this page:

    http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/shop.philips.co.uk


    Heres a link to the separator:

    http://www.philips-shop.co.uk/store/catalog/household-accessories/fryer-accessories/food-separator/productdetail/CP9223_01_GB_SHOPPUB/GB/en?pfilter=


    UK Delivery only so had to use parcel motel.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170


    Should be easy enough to make one from an old cake tin if needed :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Kat1170 wrote: »
    Should be easy enough to make one from an old cake tin if needed :)

    My thoughts exactly, especially if Doge traces an outline of his on A4 and scans and uploads it :D

    Keep trying with the chips, maybe you gave them too long or something, or else try the thin McCain ones. I can get those Homefries exactly like the ones from the frier especially with coleslaw or cheese or something dumped on them or just a good dollop of sauce...

    Its really a meat cooker for me 90% of the time though, its too easy to throw the meat in, get a bit of veg and salad ready and serve, you have a quality meal with no mess no effort, I dont really bother with chips that much anymore.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170


    'White' non-scouring scouring pads in Aldi (and elsewhere). Supposed to be non-stick surface friendly. Might make parts last longer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge


    Thargor wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, especially if Doge traces an outline of his on A4 and scans and uploads it :D

    Keep trying with the chips, maybe you gave them too long or something, or else try the thin McCain ones. I can get those Homefries exactly like the ones from the frier especially with coleslaw or cheese or something dumped on them or just a good dollop of sauce...

    Its really a meat cooker for me 90% of the time though, its too easy to throw the meat in, get a bit of veg and salad ready and serve, you have a quality meal with no mess no effort, I dont really bother with chips that much anymore.

    I'll upload it for the craic!

    No need to outline it, ill just scan it on top of an a4 page and you guys can cut it out.

    How are you going to manage to do it with a cake tin though?

    By using a dremel or something?


  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer


    Maybe try cooking the chips without the food separator. I have the smaller analog Actifry and I cook them without preheating @ 200 for 20min or until crispy. They will never compare to deep fried thats why i said they were a close second.

    Its always trial and error though for the first few months tbh. I tried a good few brands till I found one I liked.
    If the champion chips ain't to your taste try some of Tesco's and Dunnes etc, you might just have different preference in taste.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne


    The best chips I have made have been those as described in the booklet that comes with the airfryer - chop up your spuds (I actually have gone as a far as cubes on occasion, to me, this is the best), soak them in water for 30-40mins beforehand, dry and lather with oil.

    The 1-2 teaspoon of oil is a waste of time. If you want flavour, add oil, a good dollop of it. I think it is still better than deep-frying.


Advertisement