Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

but he’s not an interior designer. People might get the impression, from the show, that interior design is common amongst architects, but it isn’t.

And in fact interior designers are more collaborative with their clients. They get a brief, present their ideas, listen to responses and discuss most/all of the furniture they are going to buy. You’re paying.

(I know this from having one in our house for a refurb, but mostly from watching interior design shows.)

Yes it's relatively unusual for an architect to get caught up in interior design, but fit out is sometimes part of the brief. And in a show like RtoI, it would be very short/no talking points if it didn't involve it. Almost all of the drama comes from it.

Bannon has an extensive portfolio and his style is well known. If you're not willing to go with his muted colour palette and relative minimalism, go with another architect that does have a style that closer matches your own. I don't see the point in trying to heavily bend and modify the designs and interior schemes - not when there are loads of architects that do eclectic design.

The real issue is that a lot of couples that appear on the show are only tepid about Bannons style and I think appearing on the show is the real driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Yes it's relatively unusual for an architect to get caught up in interior design, but fit out is sometimes part of the brief. And in a show like RtoI, it would be very short/no talking points if it didn't involve it. Almost all of the drama comes from it.

Bannon has an extensive portfolio and his style is well known. If you're not willing to go with his muted colour palette and relative minimalism, go with another architect that does have a style that closer matches your own. I don't see the point in trying to heavily bend and modify the designs and interior schemes - not when there are loads of architects that do eclectic design.

The real issue is that a lot of couples that appear on the show are only tepid about Bannons style and I think appearing on the show is the real driver.

Outside of TV programs is that really the way hiring an architect works? There are “white box with lots of light” architects and “eclectic” architects” and so on, and you choose one or the other? Like going to a restaurant?

It isn’t is it?

Architects do sometimes care about the fitted items, and who knows some might try and convince you on the colour of the walls but not even Bannon goes out and picks up the lights, sofa and cushions. That stuff just appears by magic at the end of the show.

Anyway here’s a bannon portfolio with colour and lots of it.

http://www.dermotbannonarchitects.ie/project/experience-gaelic-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Not a huge fan of Dermot's minimalist, big windows philosophy. (Strongly believe too much sunlight & white interior a nightmare for glare & trapped heat). However neither the banker nor the grumpy house-husband had a strong enough sense of aesthetic to pull off what they were trying to achieve. Actually the SA guy seemed really sound but the Irish lad sounded deeply unpleasant. Don't think any love lost on DB's side!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Outside of TV programs is that really the way hiring an architect works? There are “white box with lots of light” architects and “eclectic” architects” and so on, and you choose one or the other? Like going to a restaurant?

It isn’t is it?

Architects do sometimes care about the fitted items, and who knows some might try and convince you on the colour of the walls but not even Bannon goes out and picks up the lights, sofa and cushions. That stuff just appears by magic at the end of the show.

Anyway here’s a bannon portfolio with colour and lots of it.

http://www.dermotbannonarchitects.ie/project/experience-gaelic-games/

While there are a number of factors that come into play when choosing an architect for your project, such as price and availability - a key consideration is liking their portfolio. So yes, it is like choosing from a menu, they all have a style, be that use of strong shapes, colour, playing with light and volume, texture, materials, the list is endless. If you don't like what they've done in the past, it's a safe bet that you're not going to like what they'll do for you.

It's quite clear that some of the couple's on bannons show have not looked at his portfolio in any great depth, so how is it that they've come to choose him? Is it because it's a chance to be on TV??

And the one commercial fit out where the benches are shaped like hurls is not typical of his residential designs where white and grey absolutely dominate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

In time there will be a new kid on the block, (when Bannon's interminable contract ends) maybe a female?

That would be fun. Might bring something new into things other than boxy glass add ons, double height ceilings, plywood kitchens, and slats. lol.

I've yet to see last night's show. I kinda don't think I'll bother now, as the commentary here has been all I need really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tototoe wrote: »
    Used to love it, and still watch but it has really gone downhill imo, last nights episode being a prime example .
    The jump from counter top to finished house was ridiculous

Some of the best parts of room to improve used to be the build and the complications, and the qs coming in with pricing and bills. Thats more or less all gone.

The endless supply of money for extras, in a build where there is definitely absolutely no spare money is really becoming tiresome too.

It also seems stuck for good designs, dermots input last night was minimal....except for the usual glass extension which was kind of awful imo.

Kinda of feeling the same myself after this latest season. The format of the show has definitely changed from previous seasons. We are getting to see next to nothing of the actual build and all the budgets seem to be €200k minimum with the one in Ashford at €400k. Previous seasons had Patricia Power heavily featured giving out to Dermot about budgets, telling him he cant do XYZ but this series it was like they could do anything they wanted and budget was never an issue, except for some faux drama.

I think Room to Improve has changed now. We're no longer going to see some family in an old and dark four bed dormer with a strict budget of €80k. From here on in it feels like the budgets and houses will just get bigger and bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think Room to Improve has changed now. We're no longer going to see some family in an old and dark four bed dormer with a strict budget of €80k. From here on in it feels like the budgets and houses will just get bigger and bigger.

I think it has more to do with the increase in cost of labour and the energy ratings. It's not that the extensions are that much bigger, it seems the energy rating is much more important. Was there a house this year that doesn't have A energy rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the problem is that they are not just improving some of the house they are totally renovating it in all ways up to high standards . all that cost money
    money that the average joe doesnt have
    thats why there is a disconect between the show and the viewers. at the start it was more low budget small scale improvements that changed a few parts of the house to fix a few issues.

now it would make better sense to seel the house and build a new one or even 2 for what some are spending

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to agree that the heart & soul is gone out of it now. As others have said it was all about the build + changes + tightly managing the budget.

Now it's a joke. Huge budgets + Carte blanche to do what Dermot wants. When Patricia was in it was amazing. She took no crap + keep him on his toes.

Also the editor needs to be fired. You are in the middle of watching it then suddenly out of no where the house is finished. The one in Tramore was the worse about 50 mins before anything was really built + then by magic finished. No indepth detail of build whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

appledrop wrote: »
    Also the editor needs to be fired. You are in the middle of watching it then suddenly out of no where the house is finished. The one in Tramore was the worse about 50 mins before anything was really built + then by magic finished. No indepth detail of build whatsoever.

The pacing of all the episodes this year is just terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

While there are a number of factors that come into play when choosing an architect for your project, such as price and availability - a key consideration is liking their portfolio. So yes, it is like choosing from a menu, they all have a style, be that use of strong shapes, colour, playing with light and volume, texture, materials, the list is endless. If you don't like what they've done in the past, it's a safe bet that you're not going to like what they'll do for you.

It's quite clear that some of the couple's on bannons show have not looked at his portfolio in any great depth, so how is it that they've come to choose him? Is it because it's a chance to be on TV??

And the one commercial fit out where the benches are shaped like hurls is not typical of his residential designs where white and grey absolutely dominate

Ah look, this is largely nonsense. The more you get called out on it the more you double down. Most architects will give you what you want and don’t get involved in interior design.

There’s no equivalent of types of architect as there are types of restaurant. Not for residential architects anyway.

A question on the latest episode, how could they possibly get the house to A3 rating with single glazed original windows on the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mloc123 wrote: »
    A question on the latest episode, how could they possibly get the house to A3 rating with single glazed original windows on the front?

Exactly what I wondered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Draft stripping? Secondary glazing?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

As keeping to budget never happens I think only people with endless cash applied this series.
    I agree that shows too rushed skip lots build have a pointless shopping segment. It is becoming bit too much about interiors wanting a dramatic before & after pic.
    An improvement would be to have a variety of architect s working for show so not seeing same style each week. Almost like they have started doing with QS.
    Can't believe he was going to install under floor heating in a house with a hole in roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,209 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

if you are a fan of this type of show bbc2 show called Your home made perfect seems to be back.
    Two architects do a redesign, the people get a virtual reality tour and they pick one and do it.
    The budgets are a lot more realistic (this week was 40k)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I wondered this as well. Did they change the windows but they just looked the same? I'm not a huge fan of Dermot's minimalist work but I'd take it any day over the mismatched outcome of the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

gmisk wrote: »
    if you are a fan of this type of show bbc2 show called Your home made perfect seems to be back.
    Two architects do a redesign, the people get a virtual reality tour and they pick one and do it.
    The budgets are a lot more realistic (this week was 40k)

Not a fan of this. The whole gimmick is they wear a 3D head set and walk around their house to see what it'll look like when an architect and builders are finished.
    Apart from that it's a lot of the very lovely Angela Scanlon saying "wow wow wow" while looking at a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,295 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not sure if it's being mentioned but the house the pilot did up a few years ago is up for sale.

https://touch.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/drogheda/aranmore-dublin-road-drogheda-louth-2245730

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hopefully Dermot read his Irish Times at the weekend.

Bernice Harrison saying exactly what a lot of us are thinking!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/room-to-improve-has-turned-us-all-into-snarkitects-1.4053826%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If I’d loads of money, I’d go on a tv show.
    No show would have us now... saving up to do up a room every couple of years.

You have to have access to money to go on a show like room to improve. What would the neighbours say if you couldn’t afford to finish the job?!

Interesting participants rather than building projects this season I think.
    Though I have taken some inspiration from it. I like slats and walled gardens.

Would much rather they focus more on the project that the people tbh. I don't need the "personal angle", I'm watching the show because I'm interested in architecture and construction, I've no interest in the back stories of the couples or the "drama".

TBH, I don't quite get why anyone would go on the show these days. With a genuinely tight budget, I can see the appeal of trading a few days of being slagged off on twitter in exchange for the services of a decent architect but if you've two or three hundred grand to throw into a house, why on earth would you put yourself through it?

Majella O’donnell’s reason is a good one.
    Tradespeople are a lot more reliable when there’s a camera on them.

Sleepy wrote: »
    TBH, I don't quite get why anyone would go on the show these days. With a genuinely tight budget, I can see the appeal of trading a few days of being slagged off on twitter in exchange for the services of a decent architect but if you've two or three hundred grand to throw into a house, why on earth would you put yourself through it?

Some people love the line light!

Addle wrote: »
    Majella O’donnell’s reason is a good one.
    Tradespeople are a lot more reliable when there’s a camera on them.
    That always seemed a very snide comment to me. Besides, who hires a trades person that doesn't come with recommendations?
    Some people love the line light!
    Weird, weird, people! :p

Besides, who hires a trades person that doesn't come with recommendations?

Even with recommendations they can still be very disappointing in my opinion and experience.

That always seemed a very snide comment to me. Besides, who hires a trades person that doesn't come with recommendations?
    Have you ever had any work done on your home?
    Can’t even rely on friends and family!

Is the series over already?

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Two parter at Christmas for a special on Dermot's own renovation