Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm sure Unkel isnt stupid enough to "upgrade" (downgrade) from his current Ioniq 28 to the 38!

He's not :)

Hence why he wouldn't be stupid enough to upgrade to a 30k ID3 with 50kW charging :pac:

Not even going to mention 40k ID3, if you've 40k to spend, pony up a few more and buy a Tesla and be done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Mike9832 wrote: »
    He's not :)

Hence why he wouldn't be stupid enough to upgrade to a 30k ID3 with 50kW charging :pac:

Not even going to mention 40k ID3, if you've 40k to spend, pony up a few more and buy a Tesla and be done with it

Yeah but not everyone wants a Tesla. I had the money to pony up, but I didn't want a 3 box saloon body. Also, there's something I don't like about the roofline at the back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ID.3 base with with 100kW charging is only going to be an extra €x, maybe hold off on the wholesale condemnation until we actually have a number for what the x is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've a feeling the ID will be a lot better to drive than the Ioniq.

Tbh at this stage I'm more interested to see what the mk8, GTI, GTE and R are going to be like if unvailed on the 24th.

The more I look at Tesla real word milage I don't think the middle battery size on the ID is going to be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

if you've 40k to spend, pony up a few more and buy a Tesla and be done with it

I would have. Had the reservation for Model 3. But then we got a dog, so a saloon car is no longer an option. Has to be hatch back.

Not so sure now about my next car. Maybe a Tesla Model S second hand. But likely to just hold onto Ioniq. The main con about Ioniq is its range, but that is quickly disappearing now with Ionity and other CCS chargers shooting up all over the place.

• Advertisement

I've a feeling the ID will be a lot better to drive than the Ioniq.

Of course it will. Ioniq is a FWD econobox from Korea. ID.3 is RWD, more powerful, and made by people who care a bit more about how a car drives. The FWD eGolf already is a far better drive then Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Think you may be throwing the baby out with the bath water Unkel based on a single seat measurement. I'd say the ID3 is at least as spacious in the rear as the Ioniq. Possibly even better for the middle seat passenger as it has a flatter floor and the roof doesn't slope down to the back as much so headroom is better.

Look how wide the seat bolster is on the Passat it extends into the door frame. That accounts for most of the extra 10cm. Would like to see a measurement for middle seat but it looks very close in size. My Zafira tourers seats at 127cm are 8cm narrower than a passat but it is way better for carrying 3 passengers. I've had 3 six foot plus guys in the middle row comfortably. Passengers always comment on how spacious it is.

Passat rear seats.
    vw-passat-road-test-2015-022.jpg?itok=DzwEf114

Ioniq is similar

2017-hyundai-ioniq-limited-hybrid-rear-seats.jpg

Can't find a good shot of the ID.3 but in Bjorns video the seat bolsters definitely look a slimmer.

VW-ID3-Weltpremiere-IAA-0007-1024x768.jpg

492944.png

Would like if the boot was a bit bigger closer to the 450 plus mark but the id being a hatch back looks to have more space above the window line than the liftback Ioniq. Actully in Bjorns banana box test he got an extra one in there 7 vs 6 and 19 vs 18 with seats down.

Wheelbase's are really what limit interior space. It might have similar external dimensions to the Golf but it is a lot bigger inside. A lot of the Passats extra external length is in the bonnet and bigger boot and same with the Ioniq.

Wheelbase
    Id3 276.5cm
    Passat 278.6cm
    Ioniq 270cm
    Golf 263.5cm

Good post, Ryath. I do take your point about the seat bolsters in Passat almost hitting the door (and Ioniq being similar). Headroom and leg room aren't issues for me having 3 girls but the width of the bench is as they are getting near adult sizes now.

I'll try in person once the car hits the show rooms, but tbh I was never going to spend €40k on an ID.3.

I do consider the ID.3 base model for €30k an upgrade from Ioniq (if it had the same space). More power, more range, RWD and no doubt a better car to drive. I wouldn't even upgrade the base 50kW to 100kW CCS unless it was really cheap (a few hundred)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Always suspected Unkel was going to go Model Y or used Model S.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

unkel wrote: »
    Good post, Ryath. I do take your point about the seat bolsters in Passat almost hitting the door (and Ioniq being similar). Headroom and leg room aren't issues for me having 3 girls but the width of the bench is as they are getting near adult sizes now.

I'll try in person once the car hits the show rooms, but tbh I was never going to spend €40k on an ID.3.

I do consider the ID.3 base model for €30k an upgrade from Ioniq (if it had the same space). More power, more range, RWD and no doubt a better car to drive. I wouldn't even upgrade the base 50kW to 100kW CCS unless it was really cheap (a few hundred)

How often would you even have the 3 girls in the back at once? My dad thinks the exact same way and buys bigger cars so he can have the space yet it's only ever him and maybe one more person in the car

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How often would you even have the 3 girls in the back at once?

Often enough and it's our only family car. Really don't want anything smaller in the back than Ioniq, which has adequate space. Most of my former cars were much bigger, think BMW 5 and 7 series, Saab 9-5, Jaguar S-type
    liamog wrote: »
    Always suspected Unkel was going to go Model Y or used Model S.

Not ruling anything out. I'm not a Tesla fanboy but I like the Model S (although it really is too wide for normal use in Dublin). Model Y is looking very promising but it is still far away. Also like Polestar 2 and love the looks of the Skoda Vision IV although that really is only still a prototype and might only have 4 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Often enough and it's our only family car. Really don't want anything smaller in the back than Ioniq, which has adequate space. Most of my former cars were much bigger, think BMW 5 and 7 series, Saab 9-5, Jaguar S-type

Not ruling anything out. I'm not a Tesla fanboy but I like the Model S (although it really is too wide for normal use in Dublin). Model Y is looking very promising but it is still far away. Also like Polestar 2 and love the looks of the Skoda Vision IV although that really is only still a prototype and might only have 4 seats

I probably wouldn't have cancelled until you saw it in person. May be wider than it looks in the back.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't have cancelled until you saw it in person. May be wider than it looks in the back.

It might be wider than it looks, but I wasn't going to spend €40k on an ID.3 anyway. And for the €30k version, you don't need a reservation (but you do need to wait until 2021)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not a Tesla fanboy but I like the Model S (although it really is too wide for normal use in Dublin)
    I didn't find the width a problem on the road but the turning circle seemed to be appalling. Almost unusable in tight car parks.

Three adults in the back is always a challenge. I'd love a 3+3 EV to replace my ancient FR-V but I don't see any on the horizon. Current EV design is so desperately conventional (aside from the i3). If JLR had pulled their heads out of their arses a few years ago we could have an electric 3+3 Defender 90 by now.

Yes I could also do with an additional seat occasionally. That's what appeals in the Model S and Model Y with 7 seat options

I don't think there would be a big market for an EV Defender 90 right now though. Most people who like them and tend to buy them are a bit, errrm how to put this gently, old skool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lumen wrote: »
    I didn't find the width a problem on the road but the turning circle seemed to be appalling. Almost unusable in tight car parks.

Three adults in the back is always a challenge. I'd love a 3+3 EV to replace my ancient FR-V but I don't see any on the horizon. Current EV design is so desperately conventional (aside from the i3). If JLR had pulled their heads out of their arses a few years ago we could have an electric 3+3 Defender 90 by now.

Always liked those FR-Vs. A 3+3 MPV would make a lot of sense in an EV with no need for a transmission tunnel or centre console for gear shifter. May be in the ID Buzz as it will be essentially a van so good chance it will have a 1.5 passenger bench seat option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

Sounds like I’m in a similar position as Unkel - the rear seat bench is one of the most important things, and must take 3 growing kids.

We have all 3 in the back of our Golf a lot and we’re originally from Kilkenny - so about 400km range is key also.

The model 3 rear bench is shaped into two main seats and then a bit of narrow/hump in the middle (not much difference to my bmw 4GC - which is now pretty unusable for 3 in the back unless v short journeys).

Our Golf replacement will be mid next year.
    It’s a pretty short list, but for sure the model 3 isn’t on it.

I see the model 3 as a direct replacement for my 4GC - sporty, fast, nice looks, similar price, but isn’t a car for a family with 3 kids.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've gone for an Audi A4 Avant to an eGolf and every morning I bring my 2 teenage kids to school along with our friends daughter. Some morning's I have to bring an extra kid to school so car can be a busy place, escpecially if they have sports during school - all the kids are from 14 to 18.

I've asked them how are they for space in the Golf and they said its the exact same as the A4 so even if there is a few centimeters difference, they don't notice it. I must measure it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

VW Golf MK8 dashboard is as bland as the dashboard in the ID3.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/2020-vw-golf-leaks-ahead-of-schedule-what-do-you-think/

The same lack of distinct buttons pervades.

VW are obviously trying to economise while hoping that addition of extra screens distracts the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

rivegauche wrote: »

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/2020-vw-golf-leaks-ahead-of-schedule-what-do-you-think/

VW are obviously trying to economise while hoping that addition of extra screens distracts the customer.

I actually quite like it. Hard to tell about the buttons from that photo but do prefer having buttons over in screen management. Also like how the dashboard is angled towards the driver

• Advertisement

Looks like the Mercedes but more rounded, second screen looks like an afterthought like the BMW etc. MK 7.5 set up is just as nice and it's got buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I actually quite like it. Hard to tell about the buttons from that photo but do prefer having buttons over in screen management. Also like how the dashboard is angled towards the driver

Same here - looks good even in those crap pics, but let’s see what it looks like in the plethora of videos when the embargo lifts - and in gti or highline spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Anyone hear anything yet regarding decision on purchase and trade-in/scrappage options?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

tw0nk wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything yet regarding decision on purchase and trade-in/scrappage options?

I think its way too early - they havent even confirmed a price yet! I would expect trade-in to work as with any car purchase but would have to wait until much closer to an expected delivery date which is still probably 8 months away at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

rivegauche wrote: »

Not sure how you can tell that from those crappy pictures?

It looks like a "newer" version of the current dashboard which to be fair to VW they haven't had any issue flogging a few of the current range.

I have always said, some people like VW, some people don't. Based on sales the majority are in the "like" category

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

marcos_94 wrote: »

Yeah I think that MK8 interior looks quite nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

tw0nk wrote: »

Pricing won’t be released until January and there won’t be any scrappage etc on them.

Will be all first edition for 2020 for pre orders only.

Will be able to pre order the more basic spec then for 2021 delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Pricing won’t be released until January and there won’t be any scrappage etc on them.

Will be all first edition for 2020 for pre orders only.

Will be able to pre order the more basic spec then for 2021 delivery.

What is the source of this? My dealer told me prices will be released next month??

How long will it take to charge the 1st from 0 to full with the VW 11kw home charger? Does the supply coming into the house make a difference like if you have 12 or 16kv supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How long will it take to charge the 1st from 0 to full with the VW 11kw home charger? Does the supply coming into the house make a difference like if you have 12 or 16kv supply.

The 11kW optional extra would require a 3-phase connection which very few domestic houses have and is costly to get. Having a single phase 16kVA connection wont help. You'd be still limited to 7kW by the car.

The on-street 22kW chargers are 3ph so you would be able to utilise the 11kW on those but not likely at home.

Whatever size the battery is just divide it by 11 is a rough estimate of how long it will take to charge from 0-100% at 11kW charge rate. In reality you'd need to add on 5-10% for charging losses.

Advertisement