Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock - Station Road area commute/living

Options
  • 10-02-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Considering some of the developments in Portmarnock around Station Road, I would be interested to hear people's experiences from living in the area.

I can see the road is quite narrow and traffic is likely a problem but I would be relying on the Commuter Rail & DART and potentially cycling using the planned cycle lane to Baldoyle. Anyone have any experiences with commuting to/from city centre using the trains at peak hours? Is it possible to get on easily enough? I imagine a seat is unrealistic....

How problematic do people find the flight paths which run more or less just south of Station road from what i can see?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

I don't live in the area but do use the station car park and commute in via the DART. Its true you won't get a seat on the train if you travel between 07:00-09:00 in the morning but to be honest I don't mind standing as I am office based most of the day.

I did notice that there is a thread open in Accommodation & Property that may help you a bit in terms of the builds etc -
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057865490

In terms of aircraft noise, yes they pretty much pass directly over but maybe someone who has already purchased a property there can give their feedback.

Best of luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Living in the area for the past 15 years. There is a good dart service from the station but you won't get a seat on any service after 7.20am. Planes don't bother me - you quickly get used to them. Traffic however does - It has gotten steadily worse in the last few years plus with all the house building it's impossible to keep cars clean - short term first world problem I know

• Registered Users Posts: 33 StGriffen

PCros wrote: »
    I don't live in the area but do use the station car park and commute in via the DART. Its true you won't get a seat on the train if you travel between 07:00-09:00 in the morning but to be honest I don't mind standing as I am office based most of the day.

I did notice that there is a thread open in Accommodation & Property that may help you a bit in terms of the builds etc -
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057865490

In terms of aircraft noise, yes they pretty much pass directly over but maybe someone who has already purchased a property there can give their feedback.

Best of luck with the move.

Saw that thread, worrying enough about the quality of new developments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Traffic has increased significantly with no upgrades to the road infrastructure. Absolute disaster and a disgrace the developer was allowed to lay a single brick without an upgrade in the surrounding infrastructure. Thank you Fingal Co. Co. :mad: :mad:

With multiple estates being built just off the access roads around the area, Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Kinsealy and Malahide, and traffic already a problem, I don't see how anyone would want to live in the estate. Unless you're a bike bunny of course, well then with all the cycle lanes... oh wait, little or no cycle lanes either.

Be prepared to spend hours in traffic each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Getting a seat is difficult but not impossible. It's a short enough journey into Connolly. The diesel services were removed and then partially reinstated following a public backlash.

The plans for the new townhouses facing onto station road seem to indicate a wider road, with grass verge, footpath and dedicated off road cycle path. The railway bridge is the real bottleneck though. As is the bend when approaching the roundabout. There's a tiny sliver of footpath along there, and cars tend to approach it with speed. I'd be nervous if I was pushing a pram or walking with a small child. There are a lot of lorries thundering up and down at the moment.

I'd say there will be at least one set of traffic lights added once the dun si development is complete.

There are 150 units being built, and the landowner plans on building a further 600 all the way down as far as the roundabout, which will then link up with the new Baldoyle cycle path/park. There might also be a new road built connecting to Mayne road near the railway bridge.

Station Manor seems to be taking its sweet time alright.

There's a 230 unit development on Drumnigh road which backs onto the northern side of the rail line. There's an old red brick railway bridge which was previously used by the farmer to get his tractor across to the other side. I'd say this will eventually be used as a pedestrian bridge so that people in the Drumnigh development can access the train station without having to walk along Drumnigh road.

The flight path is generally fine. You get used to it very quickly. It's a bit of a novelty.

The biggest thing the area has going for it is the proximity to the beach. That and the rail link.

• Advertisement

It has a lot going for it - access to a train station*, bus service* schools, grocery stores, pubs, GAA, soccer, rugby, golf courses, leisure center (pool, tennis, judo, club pub etc.), hotels and the beach. Take aways, restaurants... at least do the job. All within walking or cycle distance. I'm sure I have forgotten a few items. In terms of location, Portmarnock has a lot going for it. Pity about the road infrastructure.

* Public transport is limited enough but there are services.

Station road is to be re-aligned and widened according to the plans but it all should have been done before building started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eoin102

Station road is to be re-aligned and widened according to the plans but it all should have been done before building started.

Any links to the plans for widening the road? I've looked at Fingal Co Co development plans for the area but it doesn't show much in terms of road improvements for Station Road that I can see?

The plans I saw had the road widening up to the bridge and a new round about going in somewhere along the same road between the bridge and the current roundabout. That was a few years ago now. I would have to go searching myself.

Could you ring the Fingal planning office? They may be able to pull the plans I'm talking about?

Would this not cut into the gardens of those houses that are nearer the R124 end of Station Road? This is the end with the bad traffic and two trucks can't even pass each other.

Also I came out of the station last week and the traffic was backed up the whole of Station Road on both sides. It's only happened a handful of times but not sure of the cause of it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Traffic has increased significantly with no upgrades to the road infrastructure. Absolute disaster and a disgrace the developer was allowed to lay a single brick without an upgrade in the surrounding infrastructure. Thank you Fingal Co. Co. :mad: :mad:

With multiple estates being built just off the access roads around the area, Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Kinsealy and Malahide, and traffic already a problem, I don't see how anyone would want to live in the estate. Unless you're a bike bunny of course, well then with all the cycle lanes... oh wait, little or no cycle lanes either.

+1 - those back roads are fairly miserable at the best of times let alone after all these new estates are built. Geuinely have no idea how it is going to be sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Eoin102

Not directly related to Station Road but not too far either. Detailed drawing can be viewed on the Fingal CoCo website (I can't post a link as I'm new).

4th September 2018: A main contractor is expected to be appointed in Q2 2019 for the construction of the Mayne Road/ Hole-in-the-Wall Junction Upgrade.

Works on the Junction upgrade include the following:

1) Construction of a new road linking the recently upgraded section of Hole in the Wall Road, within the administrative area of Dublin City Council, to a new four-arm signalised junction with the Drumnigh Road (R124) and Mayne Road (R123). Also included is the upgrading of portions of the Mayne Road (R123) and Drumnigh Road (R124).

2) Removal of portion of the existing masonry wall along the northern edge of the Mayne Road & the western edge of the Drumnigh Road and it’s replacement by the construction of a new flood defence wall, along with a new c. 20m span bridge crossing of the Mayne River and provision of a flood relief channel linking a flood defence wall to the Mayne River and associated culverts.

3) Reconfiguration of the existing Hole in the Wall Road/Mayne Road priority junction to allow for “left-out” one-way west bound vehicular traffic movement only on the immediate approach to Mayne Road. Two-way traffic flow will be retained to access the properties and business along the section of the Hole in the Wall Road north of Belmayne Boulevard.

4) Provision of upgraded footpaths, cycle tracks, pedestrian crossing facilities, street furniture, traffic signals, road signage & markings, landscaping & planting and agreed accommodation works as required.

Works are expected to commence in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This is true all over all over Fingal and is an absolute disgrace. Drove from Baldoyle through Portmarnock to Donabate and passed a crazy amount all of new estates being built. all with no infrastructure improvements or improvement to public transport infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rachel.gallery

Hi everyone

We are hoping to move into one of the houses on The avenue, on Station Manor, Portmarnock.

I had a number of questions about the area and quality of houses. I'd really appreciate your responses for the following questions.

1. The row of houses on 'The Avenue' have been on sale since early this year. They still haven't sold and I'm wondering why?

2. We read that the homes have had issues such as uneven walls, water problems, fan/ ventilation/ heating system is very noisy etc- is that still the case?

3. We were visiting Dun Si and we saw and heard the loud aircraft flying from above every 5min. How noisy is it at station Manor and does the noise end at any time of the day and night?

4. We read the street lamps etc were not installed or working. Is the road safely lit at night now?

5. Lastly, what is broadband like and is there anything we need to be aware of that I haven't already asked?

Thank you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome to Boards rachel.gallery. I've merged your thread with an existing one about the Station Road area, so hopefully some of the posters in this thread will be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Does anyone know if Drumnigh Manor will have a path / walk way at the rear of the estate to the DART station in Portmarnock?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Whack1983

Does anyone know if Drumnigh Manor will have a path / walk way at the rear of the estate to the DART station in Portmarnock?

In the plans they have a path over the existing bridge which will connect with a path to St. Marnocks Bay which connects to station

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I cycle around this area regularly, Also drive it every so often.

Finding portmarnock traffic horrible the last year or two in general . Station road is far too narrow , even trying to cycle it when it’s congested with cars, it’s near impossible to get by.

Onto the coast road and from the garage in portmarnock to the veg shop at the junction can be a horrible experience in a car or a bike . Sad to see such a beautiful area destroyed with heavy traffic
    One good thing is the wonderful cycling lane they are still building to Baldoyle -

The volume of traffic in portmarnock and malahide etc is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Oberkon wrote: »
    I cycle around this area regularly, Also drive it every so often.

Finding portmarnock traffic horrible the last year or two in general . Station road is far too narrow , even trying to cycle it when it’s congested with cars, it’s near impossible to get by.

Onto the coast road and from the garage in portmarnock to the veg shop at the junction can be a horrible experience in a car or a bike . Sad to see such a beautiful area destroyed with heavy traffic
    One good thing is the wonderful cycling lane they are still building to Baldoyle -

The volume of traffic in portmarnock and malahide etc is horrendous

It's the same across North Dublin. Poor or non existent planning from the CoCo.

The only infrastructure improvements are to open up space for housing

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

It's the same across North Dublin. Poor or non existent planning from the CoCo

It sure is .. have you had the experience of the swords bypass upto the m1 after 4pm ?
    Or swords to malahide via waterside .
    I had a mate up from the country the other day . He just couldn’t believe it .

Ah well we can always move !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I believe station road is to be upgraded. No point doing it before the house building finishes on station road.

Would be good if they put proper (segregated) cycling infrastructure in from upper Portmarnock to the station as that would take a lot of pressure off the station car park and also connects to the new baldoyle track.

A lot of the village congestion is because there are so many premises/mini car parks people can drive into along the stretch so it very quickly backs up if someone is making a right turn or reversing out of the shops at the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 connor1234

Does anyone know what the Drumnigh Rd is like for traffic/congestion? Looking at buying in Drumnigh Manor. The walk along that road to the dart looks like it could be very unsafe until they connect it up via the footbridge/St.Marnocks bay.

connor1234 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Drumnigh Rd is like for traffic/congestion? Looking at buying in Drumnigh Manor. The walk along that road to the dart looks like it could be very unsafe until they connect it up via the footbridge/St.Marnocks bay.

Only traffic on the Drumnigh Rd tends to be at rush hour trying to get out onto the Moyne Road - there’s at least 20-30 cars always waiting to get out.

In terms of your walk to the Dart station there is a path I believe all the way to the Dart station. The only dodgy part of this is crossing over to Station Road at the T junction.

Advertisement