Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JC's sold to Dunnes Stores

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

That's a bit bizarre ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

That's a bit bizarre ...

Goodwill and a well-established local brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep, nice PR move by Dunnes.

It'll be well received by the public and media that Dunnes (and Irish brand) has chosen to keep an iconic Irish store and one of the last few independent stores, especially against the monolithic and unfeeling likes of Aldi, Lidl and Tesco.

Very solid strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Always said supervalu should have done that with superquinn

Or supervalu at superquinn or vice versa, especially as they kept the superquinn Sausages and I think coleslaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

jeffk wrote: »
    Always said supervalu should have done that with superquinn

Or supervalu at superquinn or vice versa, especially as they kept the superquinn Sausages and I think coleslaw

And Seans brown bread :)

Was talking to one of the shop assistant s just now and she said that it is only staying as JC’s for a few months and then changing over but perhaps they have not been fully informed yet. The newsagent is closing at close of business today and had literally no stock left at 5.30pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Was talking to one of the shop assistant s just now and she said that it is only staying as JC’s for a few months and then changing over but perhaps they have not been fully informed yet. The newsagent is closing at close of business today and had literally no stock left at 5.30pm today

I saw that, they were literally giving stock away from the newsagents. Saw a few Dunnes people wandering around also.

I really can’t see them keeping the Jc’s name unfortunately, especially not in the long term. They probably just can’t justify revamping again to a dunnes fit out since it is literally still ongoing as jc’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I saw that, they were literally giving stock away from the newsagents. Saw a few Dunnes people wandering around also.

I really can’t see them keeping the Jc’s name unfortunately, especially not in the long term. They probably just can’t justify revamping again to a dunnes fit out since it is literally still ongoing as jc’s.

They just put up a brand new JC's sign, so I would imagine it will keep that name for some time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Goodwill and a well-established local brand.

Goodwill me eye. They bought it to stop tesco or S/V buying it. They have plans for it,and I can assure you goodwill doesnt come into it. They are ruthless

Goodwill me eye. They bought it to stop tesco or S/V buying it. They have plans for it,and I can assure you goodwill doesnt come into it. They are ruthless

'Goodwill' in a business context primarily refers to the value arising from the historic loyalty and attitude of the customer base and suppliers to the legacy business, not that the takeover entity is doing something out of the goodness of their heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭plodder

I wonder is the barber shop staying. Got a hair cut in there this morning and have always found it very handy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Lots of Dunnes products on the shelves when I was there today. :(
    Automatic check outs now asking for Value Club cards too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pinklady09

pinkypinky wrote: »

Good.. did they have Dunne’s coleslaw yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Noticed that over the weekend. It makes you wonder how long they will keep the JCs name.

They only installed a fancy new JCs sign on the new library front a couple of months ago - definitely after the deal was done.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭plodder

They only installed a fancy new JCs sign on the new library front a couple of months ago - definitely after the deal was done.
    When Circle K took over Topaz, I remember some of the stations had only just been rebranded as Re:Store, and it was all changed again within a few months.

It even says Dunnes Stores on the receipts now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe the Competitions Authority won't let them change the name? I was in there today and it's like it's neither one nor the other. At this point it would be good if they just changed over fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I lived in swords briefly and went to JC's a couple of times. The whole place has this run down and dirty feel. I was into today and thought it was much better with the new lay out. Was only aware of Dunnes when I saw this post today. The poor libary is really done by. I hope they have a new place for them soon.

• Advertisement

Anybody any idea when the new coffee shop will open which I presume will be Café Sol ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd imagine the café will opened when the library building is finished, because afaik it's going in that end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

The local free range egg guy seems to have been dropped from the supplier list :(

0lddog wrote: »
    The local free range egg guy seems to have been dropped from the supplier list :(

Lawless Eggs - that must be quite a blow. Some North County fruit and vegetable producers will more than likely have been dropped too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

I got a pack last week but there weren't many, was hoping to get more today. They are the one thing that I only buy in JCs. Not any more I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It's barely JCs at this stage the fruit and veg was often superior but less so lately. There are the odd few things you won't get in the pavillions dunnes but will only head there now if traffic will be light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I've not checked the last couple of times I've been in but what is the off license like? Is it still full of loads of weird and wonderful drinks from round the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Lawless Eggs - that must be quite a blow. ......

Anyone know what other NCD shops sell their eggs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Anybody any idea when the new coffee shop will open which I presume will be Café Sol ?

Don't know when its opening but I heard it was a Kay's Kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

The Muppet wrote: »
    Don't know when its opening but I heard it was a Kay's Kitchen.

Ah jaysus.. scaldy reheated frys so! Ugghhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Nokotan wrote: »
    I've not checked the last couple of times I've been in but what is the off license like? Is it still full of loads of weird and wonderful drinks from round the world?

it's got some of them but they don't stock the wine I liked anymore :( but still have mcardles (2 for 3euro :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Spar in Applewood I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

The SuperValu in Boroimhe sells them.

paw patrol wrote: »
    it's got some of them but they don't stock the wine I liked anymore :( but still have mcardles (2 for 3euro :) )

Aye, thankfully they still have the deal on the McGargles I go for the Double IPA 3 for €9. No decent deals to be had on wine anymore which is a shame, JC's and Lidl were both good for getting decent wines at a decent price, have to stick to Lidl now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,566 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Macardles and McGargles are two different things, just in case you were confusing them there (you might not have been of course)

Macardles = red ale made by Diageo; last product left from the old Macardle Moore brewery that they destroyed bought out. McGargles = core brand of the Rye River Brewery from Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye, thankfully they still have the deal on the McGargles I go for the Double IPA 3 for €9. No decent deals to be had on wine anymore which is a shame, JC's and Lidl were both good for getting decent wines at a decent price, have to stick to Lidl now :(

3 for nine ...oooh ..dosn't seem a bargain ...what cc the bott ...not 500ml surely ?

500ml and its 7.1%

L1011 wrote: »
    500ml and its 7.1%

McGargles Double IPA is 8% fwiw.

Was thinking of the 'normal' one, oops

That's Francis' Big Banging. The 'normal' is about 5.5?

That's Francis' Big Banging. The 'normal' is about 5.5?

I haven't seen that on sale for ages. There's the Retro which I thought hsd taken its place with Francis as the main IPA (although the 3.8 session IPA with its different names depending on whether you're in a pub in Kildare or not is probably more common than all the rest)

• Advertisement

This is the one I buy for 3 for €9

Dans-Double-IPA-300x300.png

I haven't seen that on sale for ages. There's the Retro which I thought hsd taken its place with Francis as the main IPA (although the 3.8 session IPA with its different names depending on whether you're in a pub in Kildare or not is probably more common than all the rest)

Got Francis in Dunnes last week, and saw it in Lidl too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Macardles and McGargles are two different things, just in case you were confusing them there (you might not have been of course)

Macardles = red ale made by Diageo; last product left from the old Macardle Moore brewery that they destroyed bought out. McGargles = core brand of the Rye River Brewery from Celbridge.

Foxes Rock is now being brewed on the old macardles brewery site in Dundalk

Got Francis in Dunnes last week, and saw it in Lidl too.

I meant the original IPA, the 5.5%. Francis is the headline product basically!

Just FYI, JCs are closed tomorrow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Has anyone noticed how long the queues are for JCs the last few days? Both Friday and Saturday they were right down to the railings at the park. That was mid afternoon on Friday and 9.30 a.m. on Saturday.

I realise it's Easter, but Lidl and Aldi just had their usual queues of no more than 10 mins. When I was in JCs on Saturday (after almost an hour queueing) I noticed that it wasn't as busy as the previous week. I got the feeling they have reduced the numbers allowed into the shop hence the much longer queues.

12 mins yesterday afternoon - slightly longer a week before. Basically wrapping around the building but not down to the park.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I queued for exactly an hour last Thursday, around mid-day. Note to self, next time I'm bringing my Kindle. Mrs R went to the Pavilions around 4pm & walked straight into Supervalue, no queue.

rushfan wrote: »
    I queued for exactly an hour last Thursday, around mid-day. Note to self, next time I'm bringing my Kindle. Mrs R went to the Pavilions around 4pm & walked straight into Supervalue, no queue.

I hit JC's about 3pm today and the queue was 5 mins tops, during the week every time I passed it went the whole way round the building. Queue at Lidl has never been more than 5 or 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

While the queues to get into Lidl aren't as long, the experience in JC's is far better.

Advertisement