Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC's sold to Dunnes Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Uriel. wrote: »
    Correct. I heard that Dunnes signed a 99 year lease when they took the front part.

Pity ..really ..JC'S was a quirky store up against corporate giants ...was always good for beer bargains and the legendary wall of value

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I still don't understand why they did the renovation...

Has someone told Blindboy? He should totally give them a shout out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I still don't understand why they did the renovation...

Has someone told Blindboy? He should totally give them a shout out.

Perhaps Dunnes paid for the renovation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

That's possible. Hard to see Dunnes not renovating further when they take over. I wonder if it will close for a while during the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭PCros

This is true, they did pay for the renovation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Interesting, it is a shame, it was a good place for booze bargains and the new look greatly improved it. Been following this thread waiting for the final confirmation, thanks to those in the know for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Inquitus wrote:
    Interesting, it is a shame, it was a good place for booze bargains and the new look greatly improved it. Been following this thread waiting for the final confirmation, thanks to those in the know for that.

Pity ..really ..JC'S was a quirky store up against corporate giants ...was always good for beer bargains and the legendary wall of value

I shopped in JCs for many years, but to be honest it had deteriorated as a shopping destination. A bit of a kip in fact, until recent renovations. However, parking is very convenient. So much as it's the end of an era I welcome the arrival of Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Ill miss the Nescafe Azera clearances when you could get it for €2 a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i'm heartbroken

Dunnes won't stock my fav jam/coconut cake
    I love macardles ale and JCs was the only place local that stocked it.

:(

paw patrol wrote: »
    i'm heartbroken

Pls stay away, I'm buying up their finals stocks of Macardles over the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Peatys wrote: »

Same fella let the Lord Mayor's staff go and no sign of even statutory redundancy.

Just to point out, this is blatantly untrue, I've personally seen a cheque a member of staff received more than two weeks ago.

Pls stay away, I'm buying up their finals stocks of Macardles over the next couple of weeks.

glad to make your acquaintance a fellow macardles man …:D

.I get terrible grief over macardles….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

JCs was great for it's range of beers you could buy by the case load. Plus they sell Yorkshire tea. They will be missed.

glad to make your acquaintance a fellow macardles man …:D

.I get terrible grief over macardles….

Me too. But I now know the pubs to drink.

In Swords, the pound still sells pint bottles. :D

Me too. But I now know the pubs to drink.

In Swords, the pound still sells pint bottles. :D

oh. I didn't know that.
    Which is odd cos when (the odd time) I head out I'd go to the attic.

Thanks for letting me know

oh. I didn't know that.
    Which is odd cos when (the odd time) I head out I'd go to the attic.

Thanks for letting me know

Definitely in lounge below, haven't wandered upstairs for years. Have it in the fridge or off the shelf.

Kettles usually have bottles too.

And in the city Lanigans (Eden Quay), the Beggar's Bush, the Palace (fleet street), Mulligans also stock them.

Building a database :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is this true? I'm devo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is this true? I'm devo.

Yep it's true. Saw them myself,their between the large ales and the large bottles of stout.:p

Are we going to have a candle lit vigil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I started work packing bags in the original shop on main St when I was 11, sold the papers on Chapel lane on Sunday mornings too. I was one of the small crew of lads that stocked the new place when we moved up to Rathbeale Rd way back in 1977 or 78, can't remember which. I've long left Swords but still have fond memories of the people working there. A loss for the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Bagging a deal: Dunnes looks to buy JC's, biggest independent supermarket ..and maker of bandit mask

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bagging-a-deal-dunnes-looks-to-buy-jcs-biggest-independent-supermarket-and-maker-of-bandit-mask-38315036.html

Official now. Just awaiting Competition Authority approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

ongarboy wrote: »
    Bagging a deal: Dunnes looks to buy JC's, biggest independent supermarket ..and maker of bandit mask

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bagging-a-deal-dunnes-looks-to-buy-jcs-biggest-independent-supermarket-and-maker-of-bandit-mask-38315036.html

Official now. Just awaiting Competition Authority approval.
    The regulator has opened a so-called phase one or preliminary investigation into the proposed takeover and will accept submissions from third parties until July 25.
    I wonder will blindboy make a submission. Where will he get his bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

i'm heartbroken

Go to any independent offie and tell them you want macardles and they will stock it for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

plodder wrote: »
    I wonder will blindboy make a submission. Where will he get his bags?

I think he's on record as saying they gave up a massive stockpile when they stopped manufacturing their own a few years ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

If it's only gone to the Competition Authority now, that would suggest the change won't happen on August 1st. Could be more like the New Year.

Tropheus wrote: »
    If it's only gone to the Competition Authority now, that would suggest the change won't happen on August 1st. Could be more like the New Year.

It will take them a maximum of 30 days to make the decision, and I can't see the CCPC having any problems with the merger so it could easily be by October. Certainly can't happen in two weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Lux23 wrote: »
    It will take them a maximum of 30 days to make the decision, and I can't see the CCPC having any problems with the merger so it could easily be by October. Certainly can't happen in two weeks though.

Yeah - I'd say it will be quick as it's just a takeover of a single supermarket. It's when one large chain of stores takes over another large chain of stores that there is more review work to be done by the Competition Authority to ensure monopolies are not established. The fact that Swords has plenty of competitors (Tesco, Supervalu, Aldi and Lidl) means there should be no monopoly concerns here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I wonder how long it will take to reopen as a Dunnes Stores after it is closed down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

I wonder how long it will take to reopen as a Dunnes Stores after it is closed down ?

I don’t see them closing it down for any period of time. I would say it would be more a case of phasing in changes to the existing supermarket over time. However, I could be wrong!

• Advertisement

I don’t see them closing it down for any period of time. I would say it would be more a case of phasing in changes to the existing supermarket over time. However, I could be wrong!

Exactly how I see it too. All of the recent renovations and new shelving etc were surely done with the supervision (and probably funding) of Dunnes. That investment wasn't made by jcs with a view to immediately selling. The take over has been rumbling in the background for awhile I would say.

Advertisement