Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

average recession wedding gift??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

regardless of recession or boom, nobody fully understands other people's financial situation. The person with the seemingly cushy life may well have financial strains that you don't know about - for many people discussing just how hard up they are is not something they want to do. Even in the boom, there was a lot of onemanupship, so even when people were bragging about how much they had, often a lot of it was exaggerated or what they had was on the never never.

IMO recession or not, you cannot allocated a set amount to an acceptable gift. What you may personally give is your opinion and your preference, but you should not use this as a yardstick to judge others by. just because you would give €150 does not mean you can call some one scabby for giving €50, and whilst you may feel justified in calling them scabby because they earn x amount, drive x car etc, you don't actually know what anyone has in their pocket, so you have no justification for being rude.

Have a wedding because you want to be married and celebrate this with the people you care about. The gifts are a bonus. Have the good grace to see it that way, say thank you for everything you get, and don't relegate people to the 2nd division of mates cos they 'only' gave you x amount or bought you a 'useless' present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Can I throw the cat among the pigeons here.....
    I work part time in a shop that sells typical wedding gifts, crystal, silver, dinnerware ect. And the ammount of people I have served who bought a CRAPPY box of 40e crystal glasses as a couple going to a whole wedding because of the recession.. blah... blah.... Only later in the conversation to mention their new outfits, the fact that they are staying in the hotel, drinking for the whole weekend and so on.
    Drives me mad, people being so selfish!! :mad::mad::mad:
    I've been on a budget going to a wedding and spent the day on the dry and drove home, gave the couple my drinking money as their present. A wedding is about celebrating the couple getting married not scabbing a free meal and bottle of wine!!:mad::mad:
    Sorry for the rant!!
    Just so many people with plenty of money using the downturn as a chance to be tight....

Actually I feel the opposite.
    I would prefer my friends and family to give me a modest present and really enjoy their day, have a couple of drinks and stay over at the hotel than for them to give me a decent present or cash gift with their 'drinking money', not drink and drive home that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Who the **** wants a dry ****e martyr to the recession at their wedding? I'd rather somebody turned up with no gift than did that.

I'm guessing the reason people here are more about the gifts than the company is because they don't have that many real friends at their wedding.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

billybigunz; banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We're getting married next year: we are having the big white wedding. We will be engaged 2 and a half years specifically so we can save up for it. Of course we know we will get cash presents. To suggest otherwise is daft: but we are not relying completely on it. We will have 200 people for full meal and more for the afters: some will give money, some will give presents and some may give nothing!
    To go back to the OPs question we normally give €100 - 120 or €200 if they are close friends. We are at the age where we have budgeted for weddings and wedding presents (like 3 a year at the moment). I was unemployed for awhile and at that stage we didn't give as much becuase we simply couldn't afford it. I would hate the thought of anyone not coming to our wedding simply because they couldn't afford to get me a gift. Anyone I invite should know me better than that: and I would be hurt if they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Tim obviously has never heard of the general rule of good manners which is to be grateful for whatever you get and bear in mind its the thought that counts!
    Eh - what sort of argument is that?
    If someone gives you a gun should you be grateful as well.

Tim, sorry but your attitude comes across like a spoiled child who didn't get what he wanted from Santa - right people bought crap presents, they wasted THEIR money, not yours, you had no use for the presents. Boo hoo, get over it. Its not the end of the world - if you were not expecting or relying (or whatever you care to call it) cash then you would not still be so hung up on it!
    Spoilt child - I thought there was a general rule on boards (and unlike your general ruls on good manners - this is in writing) that you attack the post not poster.

(one thought for a possible present......a short course of ettiquette lessons - for those people really who need to learn some manners! ;) )
    What makes you think your manners are better than anyone elses? That's extremley self-righteous.

Kooli wrote: »
    My understanding of the hen and stag is that it is organised by your friends as a send-off. That's why I see it as different. And therefore my position with regards to difference between the wedding and hen/stag is consistent and logical, just how you like it!
    Hey not always. I've gone on several stags where the groom organises it.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    And to the poster (Tim Robbins was it??) who says about putting cash presents towards the mortgage, then if it's that important for you, then you should've not spent €10k-€15k or whatever the amount was on your wedding and put that towards your mortgage instead. It is very easy to have a wedding on a budget, you do not need to spend a five figure sum to get a "budget" wedding.
    It wasn't critical to put the money towards the mortgage, the present of money was just very much appreciated and the useless presents weren't.

Rather than debate what I am saying, several people here are intent on mispresenting my argument because I have re-iterated it several times. Those who oppose my argument refuse to answer specific questions I put to them. The same questions I put to Cathy, are applicable to anyone who opposes my argument which is quite simply:

1. I don't have the right to tell other people what they have the right to expect as their presents. Nor does anyone else. It's a silly baseless moral highground argument that can't be backed up with even a modicum of logic.

2. I much prefer and I am greatly appreciative of anyone who gave me money as present. That goes for any present right now not just Wedding.

3. I am not appreciative of cr*p presents because they are cr*p and useless.
    Obviously I am appreciative of those people in other ways otherwise they wouldn't have made it on the list and I wouldn't be friends with them.

4. I believe depending on your personal circumstances your frame of references are going to be different on this one. If you were a millionare, you'd hardly appreciate someone giving you 150 euro. But if you were in negative equity and on the dole you would.

But just because your frame of references are different does not give you the right to put your baseless morality on other people.

Well some cultures go a little bit further than giving money as gifts.
    Recommend you this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_dance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Well some cultures go a little bit further than giving money as gifts.
    Recommend you this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_dance

I like it:D 2 euro for a quick foxtrot..take that recession!:P

• Advertisement

snuggles09 wrote: »
    I like it:D 2 euro for a quick foxtrot..take that recession!:P

Oh how could you be shallow? It's not about money - it's about love :D

It wasn't critical to put the money towards the mortgage, the present of money was just very much appreciated and the useless presents weren't.

Rather than debate what I am saying, several people here are intent on mispresenting my argument because I have re-iterated it several times. Those who oppose my argument refuse to answer specific questions I put to them. The same questions I put to Cathy, are applicable to anyone who opposes my argument which is quite simply:

1. I don't have the right to tell other people what they have the right to expect as their presents. Nor does anyone else. It's a silly baseless moral highground argument that can't be backed up with even a modicum of logic.

2. I much prefer and I am greatly appreciative of anyone who gave me money as present. That goes for any present right now not just Wedding.

3. I am not appreciative of cr*p presents because they are cr*p and useless.
    Obviously I am appreciative of those people in other ways otherwise they wouldn't have made it on the list and I wouldn't be friends with them.

4. I believe depending on your personal circumstances your frame of references are going to be different on this one. If you were a millionare, you'd hardly appreciate someone giving you 150 euro. But if you were in negative equity and on the dole you would.

But just because your frame of references are different does not give you the right to put your baseless morality on other people.

They aren't actually questions so I don't know what you want from people?

And I don't think other people are seeing this as a debate. I'm fine with disagreeing with you, I don't need to persuade you. You seem to have a belief that there is a definitive right and wrong in this situation, I don't. I think it's perfectly possibly for everyone to hold different views in this situation. I think it's perfectly OK to make moral judgements on different actions, behaviours and responses by other people.

And there are other things I have asked you that you have not responded to. For instance, if you invited me to your 40th birthday party would you feel entitled to expect a cash gift from me? And if not, why not?

They aren't actually questions so I don't know what you want from people?
    I know they aren't question with question marks They are the questions as points. I put questions to people earlier and they weren't answered.

For example:
    Specific question 1:

Ok you are not a fan of hens and stags or wedding lists, where there is an expectation that people pay their way or buy such and such a present, but you don't scold people who are fans of such things.

However, you are not just "not a fan" of people who "expect" money for a wedding present, you scold them. Do you not see the inconsistency?

Specific question 2:

You also didn't answer my question where you get the right to morally judge people on their expectations? I believe I don't have that right. I am wondering what makes you think you have it?
    Kooli wrote:
    And I don't think other people are seeing this as a debate. I'm fine with disagreeing with you, I don't need to persuade you. You seem to have a belief that there is a definitive right and wrong in this situation, I don't. I think it's perfectly possibly for everyone to hold different views in this situation. I think it's perfectly OK to make moral judgements on different actions, behaviours and responses by other people.
    Well I try to look at things rationally. That means if someone can show me what's wrong specifically with my argument, I'll admit it.

Of course it's possible for people to hold different views. That's what I am saying. But what gives certain people the right to get on the moral high horse and judge people who have different wedding present expectations than they do?

Even we disagree on this, I am fascinated what makes them think they have a better twig on morality than those they scold?

Is it just an innate power they have that can't be described to rest of us peasants?
    Kooli wrote:
    And there are other things I have asked you that you have not responded to. For instance, if you invited me to your 40th birthday party would you feel entitled to expect a cash gift from me? And if not, why not?
    I'd expect nothing for a birthday present. And I'd actually not expect money for a Wedding present (which is what I have said several times now). I'd just greatly greatly appreciate the money but would have no appreciation for something thoughtless or useless.

At the same, I don't think I'd have the right to morally judge someone what they should or shouldn't expect for any present without a very good reason. Philosophically I'm a liberal. That means you allow people to make their own decisions unless you have a very very good reason not to.

Eh - what sort of argument is that?
    If someone gives you a gun should you be grateful as well.

Spoilt child - I thought there was a general rule on boards (and unlike your general ruls on good manners - this is in writing) that you attack the post not poster.

What makes you think your manners are better than anyone elses? That's extremley self-righteous.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tim, this is not a philosophical debate on morality or the rights of others to 'scold'. Its about giving a present of money to a wedding couple. The question is what amount to "expect" as a monetary gift. I think the general consensus is that for most couples cash is an appreciated gift and if in doubt give cash. However to expect X amount as a minimum is misguided and this is the objection most people have when asked 'how much money can I expect in gifts' - you cannot EXPECT anything as you might be disappointed, you might hope to get a few quid from most people, but this is a bonus and not something you should rely upon to fund your wedding.

IMO you are dragging this into a morality debate, or a philosophical pondering or something!

The reason you may feel attacked or judged is because to many of us, quite frankly your comments about useless gifts and calling guests who took the time and expense to attend your wedding, stupid, with no cop on for buying you something you didn't want is just rude and you are portraying yourself as hard done by because, god love you, you got some glasses you didn't want.

As I said before, build a bridge and get over it. Seriously....Let.It.Go!
    ;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tim, this is not a philosophical debate on morality or the rights of others to 'scold'. Its about giving a present of money to a wedding couple. The question is what amount to "expect" as a monetary gift.
    The hole point of philosophy is that you try to make decisions rationally. You try to give reasons for your beliefs and opinions. So what do you mean it's not a philosophical debate? Are you saying this is something you wish to approach completly non-rationally? :confused::confused:

IHowever to expect X amount as a minimum is misguided and this is the objection most people have when asked 'how much money can I expect in gifts' - you cannot EXPECT anything as you might be disappointed, you might hope to get a few quid from most people, but this is a bonus and not something you should rely upon to fund your wedding.
    "misguided" is a bit different to "immoral". I don't believe anyone has the right to be casting moral judgement on others' expectations without giving any reasons. It's not just irrational, it's very arrogant and self-righteous.
    IMO you are dragging this into a morality debate, or a philosophical pondering or something!
    No. It was the people who decided to scold at such suggestions, (go read the thead) who did that.
    The reason you may feel attacked or judged is because to many of us, quite frankly your comments about useless gifts and calling guests who took the time and expense to attend your wedding, stupid, with no cop on for buying you something you didn't want is just rude and you are portraying yourself as hard done by because, god love you, you got some glasses you didn't want.
    Their presents were stupid. And what's so rude about calling a spade a spade? I didn't say they were stupid to their faces ( again I said this already). Anyway, why are you trying to lecture baseless morals?
    As I said before, build a bridge and get over it. Seriously....Let.It.Go!
    ;)
    Oh please. I have no issues at present with the cr*p presents. I didn't come here looking for advice from anyone. I came here with an opinion that I was prepared to reason.

So how about all you scolders "build your own bridges" and leave others determine their own expectations how and as they wish.
    Let your baseless self-righteousness go.

The hole point of philosophy is that you try to make decisions rationally. You try to give reasons for your beliefs and opinions. So what do you mean it's not a philosophical debate? Are you saying this is something you wish to approach completly non-rationally? :confused::confused:

Seriously, it's NOT a philosophical debate. Why must you so frequently derail every discussion into debates about logic and rationality?! That is your choice on how to approach any and every issue, but it doesn't mean it is the right one or only one.

You passed judgment on people who didn't put enough thought or effort into the presents they bought. Others passed judgment on people who plan cash gifts into their wedding budget. Others passed judgment on people who do not appreciate the gifts they are given if they are not good enough.

We've all passed judgment. We are all allowed to have opinions about right or wrong or the best way to conduct ourselves. You seem to believe that is not OK. That's fine! Now let's just leave it at that!

You say that if we can show you what's wrong specifically with your argument, you'll admit it. But what you consistently fail to hear, is that no one particularly wants to do that! Most people are happy for everyone to hold different opinions! And just because we all disagree it doesn't mean that some of us are actually objectively right, while the rest have some sort of logic deficit that needs to be pointed out to them so that they can 'understand'.

You seem determined to tell people what opinions they can and can't hold and it gets really really tiring. We get that you've read a philosophy book, and that's great, but bring it to the philosophy forum.

take it to the philosphy forum! this is a wedding forum, where the OP asked for opinions on a certain topic. people gave those opinions and then you went off on a tangent

Their presents were stupid. And what's so rude about calling a spade a spade? I didn't say they were stupid to their faces ( again I said this already). Anyway, why are you trying to lecture baseless morals?
    you really are quite the charmer, aren't you!:p much more moral to call them stupid behind their backs than to their face! That is not rude AT ALL! And I ain't the one doing the lecturing here mate, you are!

Oh please. I have no issues at present with the cr*p presents. I didn't come here looking for advice from anyone. I came here with an opinion that I was prepared to reason.

So how about all you scolders "build your own bridges" and leave others determine their own expectations how and as they wish.
    Let your baseless self-righteousness go.

like I said, take it to the philosophy forum, you are taking things completely off thread here.

anyone else bored with this now? I know I am :rolleyes:

We get that you've read a philosophy book, and that's great, but bring it to the philosophy forum.
    ya beat me to it! :D

you really are quite the charmer, aren't you!:p much more moral to call them stupid behind their backs than to their face! That is not rude AT ALL! And I ain't the one doing the lecturing here mate, you are!
    Yeah their presents were stupid. But they are not. What do you expect me to call a crystal bowl?

You passed judgment on people who didn't put enough thought or effort into the presents they bought. Others passed judgment on people who plan cash gifts into their wedding budget. Others passed judgment on people who do not appreciate the gifts they are given if they are not good enough.

We've all passed judgment. We are all allowed to have opinions about right or wrong or the best way to conduct ourselves. You seem to believe that is not OK. That's fine! Now let's just leave it at that!
    The difference is I try to back my opinions up.

What are the presents useless? Because they serve no use.
    Why is money appreciated? Because it serves a very good use.
    Can I see a good reason for judging someone else's expectations about their presents? No.

When others are pressed to back up their opinions, they can't. It seems like nothing more than baseless and self righteous moral preaching.

And it's ridiculous that just because someone mentions the word philosophy they get told to go to another forum.

By your logic, if I went to the philosophy forum and mentioned the word "Wedding", I should go to the Wedding forum. Your argument beats itself.

• Advertisement

Just so I am clear the difference of opinion is:

Cathy, Cincikchick, Kooli etc. think it's morally wrong to expect money from your guests but it's not morally wrong:
    1. to expect if you have a wedding list to expect people to get presents from it.
    2. to expect if you have a hen or stage expect people to pay.
    3. to expect people not to turn up in tracksuits.
    4. etc.

Right well I see two problems with that:
    1. Lack of consistency.
    Some expectations are morally wrong and others are not.

2. There is no good reason why one expectation is morally wrong and the others are not.

Can we at least agree on what it is exactly we disagree on?

Tim Robbins banned for a week.

Just so I am clear the difference of opinion is:

Cathy, Cincikchick, Kooli etc. think it's morally wrong to expect money from your guests but it's not morally wrong:
    1. to expect if you have a wedding list to expect people to get presents from it.
    2. to expect if you have a hen or stage expect people to pay.
    3. to expect people not to turn up in tracksuits.
    4. etc.

Right well I see two problems with that:
    1. Lack of consistency.
    Some expectations are morally wrong and others are not.

2. There is no good reason why one expectation is morally wrong and the others are not.

Can we at least agree on what it is exactly we disagree on?

Seriously, Tim, no one cares about this angle but you.

We all have different opinions. Lovely.
    You have introduced the topics of morals and logic and consistency. Lovely, that's what you're interested in. We get it.

Not participating anymore. I'm quite happy and content for you to think I'm inconsistent, illogical and irrational. I won't lose sleep over it.

If you like I could declare you debate winner?

I'm going to leave the thread open for now, but if it continues on as it has for the last few pages I'll lock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

anyone else bored with this now? I know I am :rolleyes:

My god yes.

It's not often I lose the will to post ot but I think I've reached that point :(

Bye bye all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Incy Wincy

getting married abroad...don't expect any pressies...flights and accomm are coming in between 300 - 500 for most people.....personally I prefer gifts but this can be good and bad....my sister in law received 12 lamps, some pottery ones and others with figurines (yuck!!) anyway no three bed semi can take 12 lamps!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Its a given in the States for a cash gift. Toasters and oven plates are for the bridal shower! If the couple getting married arnt moving into a new house what need will they have for such items?

I guess its a huge inconvenience to those people who normally give gifts that have been up the attic for a few years! In this day and age money is an ideal gift especially at the cost of the wedding and paying for mortgage.

And for those people who say why copy america well we do it in everything else! Also the norm in the states is $200!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

TonyD79 wrote: »

And for those people who say why copy america well we do it in everything else! Also the norm in the states is $200!!

Well if we were to copy the States and the way they hold weddings we would have to provide free bar for the whole wedding.

The weddings would also be held over a few hours with dancing happening during the dinner.

They tend to finish up about 9pm or 10pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

tbh i think there are some good points brought up in this thread. when i give a gift to someone i think long and hard about what i'll give to them, regardless of what kind of budget i have i'll always do my best to get something i know they will appreciate.

otherwise i kind of feel like i'm wasting my money, whats the point in my spending hard earned cash on something the receiver will only end up throwing out or giving to a charity shop? that'd be incredibly wasteful, especially in these times when people don't have much to spare. god knows i've had to get rid of lots of things over the years myself, many of us here will have (i even read a post here where someone said that their local charity shop did well out of their wedding), i don't want to buy the same kind of presents for people that will just end up in oxfam, i'd rather give something i know will either be used or loved and if i can't do that then a cash gift is the answer (who of us haven't ended up with vouchers for shops we rarely/never use).

sure you can ask that the other person simply appreciate the fact that you gave them any kind of gift at all, but how can i expect someone to be grateful for something i know is of no use to them? why would i waste my own money like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

*eadaoin wrote: »
    tbh i think there are some good points brought up in this thread. when i give a gift to someone i think long and hard about what i'll give to them, regardless of what kind of budget i have i'll always do my best to get something i know they will appreciate.

otherwise i kind of feel like i'm wasting my money, whats the point in my spending hard earned cash on something the receiver will only end up throwing out or giving to a charity shop? that'd be incredibly wasteful, especially in these times when people don't have much to spare. god knows i've had to get rid of lots of things over the years myself, many of us here will have (i even read a post here where someone said that their local charity shop did well out of their wedding), i don't want to buy the same kind of presents for people that will just end up in oxfam, i'd rather give something i know will either be used or loved and if i can't do that then a cash gift is the answer (who of us haven't ended up with vouchers for shops we rarely/never use).

sure you can ask that the other person simply appreciate the fact that you gave them any kind of gift at all, but how can i expect someone to be grateful for something i know is of no use to them? why would i waste my own money like that?

I think there are precious few people who go to weddings bringing gifts that they know are of no use to the couple. The couple may see the gift as useless but that doesn't mean a person didn't spend an awful lot of time thinking of something they think would be appreciated.

I know my sister goes out of her way and spends months in advance planning gifts for christmas. She gets it right only half the time :rolleyes:, but she puts so much heart and effort into it, you can't help but appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Malari wrote: »
    I think there are precious few people who go to weddings bringing gifts that they know are of no use to the couple. The couple may see the gift as useless but that doesn't mean a person didn't spend an awful lot of time thinking of something they think would be appreciated.

I wish this was true. We got 6 set of wine glasses as engagement presents. Neither of us drink. I get the feeling there is a lot of re-gifting goes on :-)

I get the feeling there is a lot of re-gifting goes on :-)

Without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I wish this was true. We got 6 set of wine glasses as engagement presents. Neither of us drink. I get the feeling there is a lot of re-gifting goes on :-)

How unfortunate! I know a guy who gave an iPod as a wedding present :rolleyes: There's always one, eh?

On the other hand my husband can't drink so I almost never do either but we still have wine glasses for when we have people over to dinner. And we ourselves use the wine glasses for drinks like Amé/sparkling cordials.

It just makes the meal feel like more of an occasion than if we were drinking from a tumbler.:o

Eta: I also have martini glasses and champagne flutes and I sometimes use the different glasses if I'm making individual desserts like mousse or sorbet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

iguana wrote: »
    On the other hand my husband can't drink so I almost never do either but we still have wine glasses for when we have people over to dinner. And we ourselves use the wine glasses for drinks like Amé/sparkling cordials.

It just makes the meal feel like more of an occasion than if we were drinking from a tumbler.:o

Eta: I also have martini glasses and champagne flutes and I sometimes use the different glasses if I'm making individual desserts like mousse or sorbet.

Ah, still though, you don't give wine glasses to a couple who don't drink with the intention that they use them for desserts and guests (like giving shot glasses to an alcoholic) - they most likely ran into shaws or carrig donn and bought whatever box sets were on sale at that time. I've seen my mother do this hundreds of times. She puts about half a second of thought into the present. Most of her friends do the same thing.
    It was the "safe" gift to buy back in their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 JAKEYCAKEY

Has anybody had any experience of recieving an invite with cash only gifts stated on it and how was it worded ?
    People are intitled to give what ever gift they deem suitable but I myself think that times have changed and most couple live together before getting married now a days so they already have everything they need.

A wedding list is a good idea but not everything that a couple qactually need can be accquired from one place or is there ?

I think a good Idea would be a wedding account on the likes of One For All vouchers that named all the people that contributed but did not name the amount given .
    Myself and my partner would like something like this and its not as cheeky as aking for cash even though we would like to ask for cah , but feel it would put people under pressure unfairly.
    But from what I can gather 50 -100 is what people are saying which is realistic but I would say one on a percentag of guests say 70 % as you will always get people recycling there unwanted gifts and some people just prefer the personal touch of giving a gift they have put time and effort into ( be it expensive or not ) as it is the thought that counts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭thebiglad

JAKEYCAKEY wrote: »
    Has anybody had any experience of recieving an invite with cash only gifts stated on it and how was it worded ?
    People are intitled to give what ever gift they deem suitable but I myself think that times have changed and most couple live together before getting married now a days so they already have everything they need.

A wedding list is a good idea but not everything that a couple qactually need can be accquired from one place or is there ?

I think a good Idea would be a wedding account on the likes of One For All vouchers that named all the people that contributed but did not name the amount given .
    Myself and my partner would like something like this and its not as cheeky as aking for cash even though we would like to ask for cah , but feel it would put people under pressure unfairly.
    But from what I can gather 50 -100 is what people are saying which is realistic but I would say one on a percentag of guests say 70 % as you will always get people recycling there unwanted gifts and some people just prefer the personal touch of giving a gift they have put time and effort into ( be it expensive or not ) as it is the thought that counts .

This is such a long thread now the point may already be covered but...

If you are going to ask for cash (I wanted to but wife would not agree - oh the shame etc...) go ahead, you know how your family and friends will react and if its supportive, why not, a bundle of cash which can be spent on a large ticket item is much better than Denby Dinners sets (mugs at €60 etc) and crytal wine glasses which just get put away, then end up using the same stuff as before the wedding for everyday anyhow.

Some guests may not want you to know what the gift cost but then others, it may be just the opposite.

Again on the cash issue, just make sure you have a plan on how to deal with it if you get loads on wedding day - the hotel will unlikely accept responsibility (although you can probably put it in their safe overnight) - if wedding is on a friday when will you (or Best Man:D) actually bank the money? Put a little thought into the logistics, wouldn't want to lose the lot!

Someone should start a poll - how many unused wedding gifts do you still have?? That will demonstrate the best reason for cash as gifts.

The poll sound like a good idea , and also to see the best and worst presents recieved just for a laugh. And how many were recycled and given as a present to somebody else

To answer you question though I think the plan would be to put the cash in the hotels safe , as we would be the only wedding in the hotel that day and the venue would be ours and all the rooms booked out to our guests. Its only a small hotel so should be fine . But I see where this could cause a bit of a panic for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭thebiglad

We put our cash and voucher gifts in hotel safe but the hotel made it very clear they were not responsible for them in any way.

Suppose giving bank details in the wedding invite is a step too far:p

Lol , yeah I think giving bank details is a leap too far when you are already asking them to perform open wallet surgery.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that cash is a good present.

I am one of the people who thinks that it's cheeky to ask for cash, but I am also someone who would be DELIGHTED with cash!

The fact that cash is more useful, and can be put to anything, is undisputable. But if we're to only use that as a guide, do we want to start only giving cash at every occasion? Why not only give cash as 18th, 21st, 30th birthday presents? Why not give each other cash at Christmas or at an engagement party? The fact is still the same that cash is probably more useful than a lot of the birthday/engagement/Christmas presents people have gotten over the years, but we still give those presents. Which makes me think that the reason it has become acceptable/normal at weddings to give cash is because of the implicit assumption (popularised by Eddie Hobbes I think!) that you are helping to foot the bill for the event itself!!

I think there's something a bit soul-less about just handing over envelopes of cash for important occasions. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still like the idea of having a 'something' that someone gave me. That's why I prefer vouchers to cash, because I can still buy a 'something' that I think of as coming from that person, and would often tell them what I bought. I'd like to think I'd do the same with cash, but it's much less likely.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that cash is a good present.

I am one of the people who thinks that it's cheeky to ask for cash, but I am also someone who would be DELIGHTED with cash!

The fact that cash is more useful, and can be put to anything, is undisputable. But if we're to only use that as a guide, do we want to start only giving cash at every occasion? Why not only give cash as 18th, 21st, 30th birthday presents? Why not give each other cash at Christmas or at an engagement party? The fact is still the same that cash is probably more useful than a lot of the birthday/engagement/Christmas presents people have gotten over the years, but we still give those presents. Which makes me think that the reason it has become acceptable/normal at weddings to give cash is because of the implicit assumption (popularised by Eddie Hobbes I think!) that you are helping to foot the bill for the event itself!!

I think there's something a bit soul-less about just handing over envelopes of cash for important occasions. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still like the idea of having a 'something' that someone gave me. That's why I prefer vouchers to cash, because I can still buy a 'something' that I think of as coming from that person, and would often tell them what I bought. I'd like to think I'd do the same with cash, but it's much less likely.

it just seems from a lot of what i've heard from couples about the wedding gifts they've received (quite a few on this thread too) that quite a percentage of them end up either in the attic or being sent to a local charity shop.

i think it's fantastic if you give something that you know someone will love and want to keep as a treasured gift from you, and that's the best answer when it comes to giving imo, but realistically it seems that most weddings gifts given these days are really just not like that. we're holding onto a tradition of giving people things they might need for a new home and life together, when in modern life we often just simply don't need these kinds of gifts all in one go.

birthdays & christmas should be treated just the same, if i'm not putting enough thought into getting someone a gift that i know they'll actually like then what's the point? it's essentially a waste of my money if they're just going to get rid of it. weddings are more difficult because it's a couple you're buying for, it's not just something nice for a close friend/family member. i think vouchers can work well for birthdays etc if you know there's a particular shop that the person loves, but for weddings it's different as there's two people involved and if they don't need homeware items then it gets difficult to find a shop that suits both people. if we're being straightforward about it there's not much difference between a voucher and cash anyway as essentially a voucher is cash but just for one particular place.

i don't believe there's any shame in asking for cash as a wedding gift, especially if someone is asking you what you would really like, where is the shame in being honest with them, everyone knows how times are tough lately? wedding guests are usually your closest friends and relatives, if you can't be honest with those people about your needs then who can you? there's nothing souless in an envelope of cash if it's meant in earnest to help you begin your married life with a litte boost, there is however something souless in regifting an unwanted gift just for the sake of getting rid of it or giving something you're well aware will just end up in a charity shop.

"we've been together many years and have a lovely home
    there are not many things that we do not call our own
    we have everything we feel we need and what we have will suffice
    so if your thoughts were on a gift some money would be nice":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

despise these invites.."give us money please" dressed up in stupid wording

come to our wedding and pay us for the privelage (yes i'm not stupid i was planning on giving you a cash token but now that your asking for it you can pi** off)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

"We're sending out this invitation,
    in hopes you will join in our celebration.
    But if a gift is your intention,
    may we take this opportunity to mention
    we already have a kettle and toaster,
    crockery, placemats and matching coasters.
    So rather than something we've already got,
    we'd appreciate money for our honeymoon pot.
    But most importantly we request,
    that you come to our wedding and be our guest."

- eugh, my SIL got an invitation with this little poem in it. Personally I'd actually prefer if someone wrote "Cash gifts only please" (which I have seen also) rather than dress it up in this stupid poem.

I also had an elderly couple come in to the branch where I work looking to do a transfer to an account, and when I asked them for the account details for the beneficiary, they handed me a wedding invitation with a little bit at the end saying that if you were giving a gift, the couple would appreciate a contribution towards their honeymoon. It gave a bank account and sort code!!!!! I think my jaw must have dropped, because the couple just laughed and said that was their reaction when they opened the invitation too. It was their grandson (I think) getting married, and his mother had flipped when she saw the invitations, apparently she had spent the morning ringing all the elderly relatives to apologise, because a lot of them got offended!

I think if you really want cash gifts, then ask a couple of family members or members of the wedding party to put the word out. Most relatives will probably ask your parents etc if there's anything specific you'd like, so they can say that you'd probably prefer cash. I think this is the most tasteful way to do it, rather than actually putting it in writing.

come to our wedding and pay us for the privelage (yes i'm not stupid i was planning on giving you a cash token but now that your asking for it you can pi** off)

i honestly just don't understand people with this kind of attitude, it strikes me as just plain mean and immature. if you don't want to give cash as a present for your own principles that's absolutely fine, but punishing people because we don't approve of how they asked is just bizarre, especially couples who obviously consider you important enough to want to celebrate such a wonderful event with them.

what does it say about how we feel about a bride & groom and why are we going to their wedding at all if it's possible to be this flippant about how we treat them? and essentially it's yourself you're shooting in the foot at the end of the day if you end up spending your money on something they're just going to throw away, it's your own money down the drain, not theirs.

they're not asking you to pay for the privelage of coming to their wedding, of course they're not. but they're well aware that history has given us a tradition of giving homeware presents to couples getting married and that you're likely to bring some kind of gift for thier house. they're asking you not to give them something they don't need but to help them with something they genuinely need instead. it doesn't mean they're expecting everyone to cough up or only strictly give them cash. and it doesn't mean they're asking their guests to pay for the wedding, i seriously doubt that any couple getting married expect that cash gifts will sort them out for all the costs or to run a profit from their big day.

if someone asks for money as a gift i'm more than happy to help, especially considering they're someone who i'm close enough to be celebrating such a a big day with. i want to give them whatever they need the most and if that's a set of wine glasses for their new house then that's great, but if they need cash either then whats the problem with giving them that instead and what is so wrong with them being able to actually be honest and ask me for what they really want?

Toots* wrote: »
    I also had an elderly couple come in to the branch where I work looking to do a transfer to an account, and when I asked them for the account details for the beneficiary, they handed me a wedding invitation with a little bit at the end saying that if you were giving a gift, the couple would appreciate a contribution towards their honeymoon. It gave a bank account and sort code!!!!! I think my jaw must have dropped, because the couple just laughed and said that was their reaction when they opened the invitation too. It was their grandson (I think) getting married, and his mother had flipped when she saw the invitations, apparently she had spent the morning ringing all the elderly relatives to apologise, because a lot of them got offended!

I think if you really want cash gifts, then ask a couple of family members or members of the wedding party to put the word out. Most relatives will probably ask your parents etc if there's anything specific you'd like, so they can say that you'd probably prefer cash. I think this is the most tasteful way to do it, rather than actually putting it in writing.

oops! putting your bank account details on the invite is a little tactless perhaps! it kind of suggests they're asking a bit too much of their guests :( i don't think it's good to make people think they're providing all the funding for your wedding day or honeymoon.

i think you have it right though, if people ask then simply let them know what you'd prefer!

i think you have it right though, if people ask then simply let them know what you'd prefer!

That's the thing though, it's about subtlety. If I am invited to someone's wedding and I ask them what type of thing they might like and if they say something like, "Well to be honest we'd love money, but whatever you feel best yourself." I'd feel that is fair enough because they did not presume they would be getting a present, I indicated I would like to give them one and only then did they put forward a preference. Friends will usually ask you, relatives and friends of the family will usually ask your parents, the word can be passed around that you would like money best without you having to ask for it.

When I was a child my parents taught me it was rude to ask for things, even if I knew they would be forthcoming. When I saw my grandparents/relatives on my birthday/Christmas I was not to ask for my present but wait until they were ready to give it to me, it's basic manners. Writing a note about what gifts you want on your wedding invite is damn rude. It's the equivalent of marching into your great-grannies house the week before your birthday and telling her you want a present and it better not be something from Sesame Street as that's for babies and you're all growed up!

The only time I think it's acceptable to mention gifts on a wedding invite is if you have a favourite charity you would like donations made to in lieu of gifts. And that's only because you really don't want your guests spending money on you.

i honestly just don't understand people with this kind of attitude, it strikes me as just plain mean and immature. if you don't want to give cash as a present for your own principles that's absolutely fine, but punishing people because we don't approve of how they asked is just bizarre, especially couples who obviously consider you important enough to want to celebrate such a wonderful event with them.

what does it say about how we feel about a bride & groom and why are we going to their wedding at all if it's possible to be this flippant about how we treat them? and essentially it's yourself you're shooting in the foot at the end of the day if you end up spending your money on something they're just going to throw away, it's your own money down the drain, not theirs.

they're not asking you to pay for the privelage of coming to their wedding, of course they're not. but they're well aware that history has given us a tradition of giving homeware presents to couples getting married and that you're likely to bring some kind of gift for thier house. they're asking you not to give them something they don't need but to help them with something they genuinely need instead. it doesn't mean they're expecting everyone to cough up or only strictly give them cash. and it doesn't mean they're asking their guests to pay for the wedding, i seriously doubt that any couple getting married expect that cash gifts will sort them out for all the costs or to run a profit from their big day.

if someone asks for money as a gift i'm more than happy to help, especially considering they're someone who i'm close enough to be celebrating such a a big day with. i want to give them whatever they need the most and if that's a set of wine glasses for their new house then that's great, but if they need cash either then whats the problem with giving them that instead and what is so wrong with them being able to actually be honest and ask me for what they really want?

I'm far from mean and further from immature..i just think it's very bad manners to ask for money outright, be it for a christening, communion, birthday or wedding and to put in a poem stating either give us money or dont give us anything is putting unneccesary pressure on people. when you get an invite like that, how can you possibly then turn around and NOT give money? What if someone has already purchased a present and then this arrives on the mat with the dresses up "give us money" poem in it..I just think it's down right rude .. others don't agree and that's fine but that's my feeling on it and by blood starts boiling as soon as I see these types of invites..there are 5 couples who have pulled out of attending a wedding becasue of this sort of thing..expected to travel miles to a wedding, pay for accommodation, buy their outfit, pay for petrol as they want to share the day with the couple and then get asked for money also thrown into the bargain

bad manners..won't ever change my mind on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Just wondering what the average cash wedding gift is these days?

Best friends will be very generous, Grandparents can't be expected to give too much - so what's the general average?

Just curious as we booked our venue last week and trying to make a realistic guesstimate as to how much we may owe after the day.

If you've booked your venue you already know how much the wedding is going to cost.

What you really mean is how much cash will you be walking away with? When all the guests cough up.

You'd be better off telling friends and relatives that you'd prefer a cash gift.

What do you yourself think you will receive from your guests?

What would you call very generous?

What would you assume unacceptable from a guest.?

Remember there will be some people who won't be able to go to your wedding because of these forced expectations from Brides & Grooms to be.

Don't just invite people to cover the cost of your day, it's your call and it's your cost!

So good luck on the day hope all goes well...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

when you get an invite like that, how can you possibly then turn around and NOT give money? What if someone has already purchased a present and then this arrives on the mat with the dresses up "give us money" poem in it..I just think it's down right rude .. others don't agree and that's fine but that's my feeling on it

This is actually a very good point, most weddings I've been invited to, I'll have known ages in advance that I'm invited, but the official invitations have only been sent about 3 months in advance. I'd be one of those people where if I'm out and I see something that would be an amazing present, I'll pick it up (cos odds are on if I leave it til another time, it'll be gone, and I'll be kicking myself). If I'd already bought a present and an invitation turned up asking for cash, I'd be pretty upset. And then I'd be worrying that the B&G wouldn't like the present that I had bought them.

IMO, putting in writing anywhere that you would like cash gifts is a no-no. As I said before, mention it to a couple of family or friends and word will get around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement