Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlisle Gym - Pool Hours Cut Back

Options
  • 20-06-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else had seen the recent notices in Carlisle gym saying the pool / sauna hours are changing? It appears from 1st July they will now close the area at 9pm Monday - Friday and at 5pm weekends. The core hours of the gym remain unchanged so seems very strange.

I asked in the gym and they said they were just advised to put up a notice and weren’t told why it is happening. I emailed them and was told by a director it was a Board decision.

Anyone any thoughts? Purely cost cutting measure? If the gym is open I don’t understand why you’d need to close it early (75mins on some days) as surely any cost associated with running the pool area with people there or not is pretty static. If it’s a case that people are delaying the closure of the gym with showers etc because they are late out of the pool then fair enough but surely a blanket “pool area closes 30mins before gym” or something similar would be far more straight forward.

Just wondering if anyone else had any insights? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭COH

They cost a fortune to run - that's why!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Time2GetFit

COH wrote: »
    They cost a fortune to run - that's why!

Not doubting they’re expensive to run but is the cost dramatically different whether the pool area is in use or not?

Genuine question as haven’t a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Not doubting they’re expensive to run but is the cost dramatically different whether the pool area is in use or not?

Genuine question as haven’t a clue!

Absolutely. Youve got to heat the water and filter the water. For a swimming pool that cycle can take a long time and its expensive both in terms of power and chemicals (heat is always expensive). They may be cutting back one cycle per day or something? Thatll save in maintenance costs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Time2GetFit

....... wrote: »
    Absolutely. Youve got to heat the water and filter the water. For a swimming pool that cycle can take a long time and its expensive both in terms of power and chemicals (heat is always expensive). They may be cutting back one cycle per day or something? Thatll save in maintenance costs as well.

Ah right didn’t know the additional costs like that-frustrating but will just adapt the time when I swim so! Went this morning 1st thing just to see and wasn’t as busy as I thought so might start doing that with the odd earlier 8pm instead of 9pm going forward.

Thanks for the insight folks

Advertisement