Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many strict pull ups can you do?

• 15-06-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

There was an argument a few months back in one of the threads here. I thought it would be interesting to see how many STRICT, DEAD HANG pull ups (not chin ups) people here can do.
    There’s probably going to be a a few lies, and a few people (like a good friend of mine) who count pull ups even though they don’t lock out arms or get chin over the bar, and a few people who aggressively say “who cares” and have a go at me.
    But for those of you who want to take part, post up your score and let’s see if any of us can improve over the summer.

Male
    Age - 47
    Current capability - 7
    Best ever - 14 (10 years ago)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Big fat 0. Hope to get to 1 by end of year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Cushtie wrote: »
    Only way is up so. Best of luck with it. Going to be a great feeling when you do get over the bar.
    Maybe try using a band to help get a few. That’s how I started. But a trainer in a good gym would be best person to talk to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

12 - Definitely an exercise that favours lighter people (Provided they have some good strength too).

I'm 86kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Can you post a video of a 'proper' one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Can you post a video of a 'proper' one?

Here you go:

• Advertisement

The last time I tried max reps was a couple of months ago and I got 14.

Cushtie wrote: »

Keep working hard and you will eventually get there. Remember everyone started out at 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Most I have ever done was around 14 and those would have been from dead hang till well past the chin, I always aimed to get the chest to the bar and stopped when I couldn't. I haven't done a pull up in a long time, I was doing some chin ups recently between sets of overhead press, last week I think I did five sets of eight so I would imagine I could do around twelve, maybe eight pull ups at a complete guess.. I am starting a new workout tomorrow which has pull ups in it so I could find out and report back :)

rowanh wrote: »
    Most I have ever done was around 14 and those would have been from dead hang till well past the chin, I always aimed to get the chest to the bar and stopped when I couldn't. I haven't done a pull up in a long time, I was doing some chin ups recently between sets of overhead press, last week I think I did five sets of eight so I would imagine I could do around twelve, maybe eight pull ups at a complete guess.. I am starting a new workout tomorrow which has pull ups in it so I could find out and report back :)

You can do 5 sets of 8 chin ups and reckon you can only do 8 pull ups max? :confused:

Pull ups are a good bit easier than chin ups and use the same back muscles but with added bicep assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

7. Have been working in it and will test next week or week after and hoping for more!

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    You can do 5 sets of 8 chin ups and reckon you can only do 8 pull ups max? :confused:

Pull ups are a good bit easier than chin ups and use the same back muscles but with added bicep assistance.

You've got them mixed up. Chin-ups use more of the bicep muscle and people generally find them easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Very rare I'd see people doing them anyway like the video above...

Pretty sure I always I do them strict with locked out arms at the bottom but not sure how dead the hang is.

That said, I've never tested. I've done 5x10 pull ups and 5x12 with neutral grip but again, not sure about the dead hang bona fides.

You've got them mixed up. Chin-ups use more of the bicep muscle and people generally find them easier

Ah sorry, makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

That's it and I was actually doing neutral grip chins which are the easiest of the three.

If anyone wants to increase the amount of chin ups they can do and can manage to fit it into your day I would suggest trying the grease the groove method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The most I've done is 13. 40 years old and 72kg.
    Weighted I can do 6 with 20 kilos strapped on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

14. Not sure how strict they were. I'm sure I looked more like a fish out of water in my final reps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

20reps here, 88ish kg 43yrs young and 6ft 2in - doest always favour lighter, favour those that practice lots of honest to jesus pulling movement not that BS half pull up reps i see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Transform wrote: »
    20reps here, 88ish kg 43yrs young and 6ft 2in - doest always favour lighter, favour those that practice lots of honest to jesus pulling movement not that BS half pull up reps i see

Great score and at your size very impressive. Has your max changed up or down over the years?

shutup wrote: »
    Great score and at your size very impressive. Has your max changed up or down over the years?
    nope about the same for 20yrs but lots of other movements have improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Last time I tested 10 strict age 28 6'5" and 96kg. I broke my hand the other year so grips still not the best last max weighted was 40kg but not as strict as it should have been. Could probably work to up the numbers of reps but am working on my one arm so dont feel the need.

• Advertisement

Last time I tested 10 strict age 28 6'5" and 96kg broke my hand the other year so grips still not the best last max weighted was 40kg but not as strict as it should have been. Could probably work to up the numbers of reps but am working on my one arm so dont feel the need.

Took me a minute to realise that you didn't actually break your hand testing pull-ups...

Took me a minute to realise that you didn't actually break your hand testing pull-ups...

Haha no that was in bjj. My terrible grammar on quick posts does not help matters.

exactly what i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Currently doing 3x8 at the moment, I haven't tested in over 18 months. Age 27, 65kg and 5'9''. I injured myself badly (won't go into details) 18 months ago and I couldn't do 1 pull up until after Christmas this year. Before my injury I think I maxed at 23. I was doing 5x5 with 22.5kg on my back so essentially 5x5 of 87.5kg. It's all about practice and repetition, like anything. Probably helps that I am quite light to? One thing I have learnt, I appreciate being able to do pull ups a lot more nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Overrated exercise tbh but 12, I’m light and shortish so they’re too easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Why overrated? I think its one of the most useful for real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

29 & 90kg

I couldn't do any 6 months ago, easiest muscle to build IMO. Have a bar in a door at home.

What's a better vertical pulling exercise if pull ups are overrated?

too easy is when you're doing legless rope climbs and 30 pull ups - 12reps isn't exactly covering yourself in glory, although respectable if i can see video evidence

Pull ups and a simple one arm or cable row are two of the most important upper body exercise because most people we work with come to us with super tight pecs + weak upper back + computer/phone neck = shoulder disaster, layer on bench press or dips etc and you're guaranteed issues.

Most over rated IMO = bench press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

My best ever was 9 at age 32, female, 57kg.

Currently only 2 but, in fairness, I've had two very bad shoulder injuries since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Why overrated? I think its one of the most useful for real life.

I suspect what he might mean by an 'overrated exercise' is that there's a touch of 'how much can you bench?' about such a question. Not that it's not any good, just that it's one of the exhibition exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are alternatives that don't involve the vertical pulling which people can comfortably get decent reps on even if they are not as complete. To me there's always been a level of exhibitionism and personal choice to them. No fan myself, weight to strength issue and I happily embrace other options.

What is the weight to strength issue? Also what other options do you prefer?

What is the weight to strength issue? Also what other options do you prefer?
    As others have pointed out lighter bodies tend to perform better at it. I use a variety of rows, pulldowns, TRX, IYT etc. instead. Never really been drawn to the exercise I suppose but can do about 2 at a pinch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I can do 8, I'm 84kg, 6'1 and 41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are alternatives that don't involve the vertical pulling which people can comfortably get decent reps on even if they are not as complete. To me there's always been a level of exhibitionism and personal choice to them. No fan myself, weight to strength issue and I happily embrace other options.

you mean you find them too hard and aren't willing to put the work in to get better at them

they are pretty cool though lets be honest :cool:

IvoryTower wrote: »
    you mean you find them too hard and aren't willing to put the work in to get better at them

they are pretty cool though lets be honest :cool:

Oh, I like looking at them and then I just go back to my "less challenging" routines. Never had any interest in "getting better" at them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalicious

5 Sets at current reps of 26, 23, 19, 15, 13.
    28 Years.
    110Kg
    Do them twice a week and the reps quickly fly up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^ 110kg, that's a mighty weight to be hoofing up and down with your arms!

I decided last month to try do them down the road, I do negatives once a week and will do that for the next 3 months or so and do some other progressions from there.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^ 110kg, that's a mighty weight to be hoofing up and down with your arms!

I decided last month to try do them down the road, I do negatives once a week and will do that for the next 3 months or so and do some other progressions from there.

I'd have my doubts that they are the strict dead hang pull ups the OP asks about.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'd have my doubts that they are the strict dead hang pull ups the OP asks about.

I pull up to my chin. Go down to just before lockout. Suppose they wouldn't be dead hangs. But they are pull ups with no half reps and no swinging.

Tip: Dead hanging with your arms extended past shoulder width is not a good idea if you enjoy having full range of movement without pain on your shoulders. When you dead hang your lats will go into rest, when you kick them back into tension for the pull you also run the risk of pulling the muscle.

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^

Yeh negatives are great for pull ups. Do your regular sets first though. Then when you cant pull yourself up anymore, jump up and let your self down as slow as possible.

is_that_so wrote: »

If alternatives don't involve vertical pulling then they are not alternatives.

There are alternatives that are essentially building blocks of pull ups. Nothing wrong with pull downs but I'd consider them an exercise that builds strength to do pull ups.

I don't but this weight/strength issue. If you can do zero because of your weight, then progress is being able to do one and so on. Comparing numbers is kind of irrelevant. The only comparison is what you can do versus yesterday.

I'm not saying the pull up us the only exercise but alternatives typically build towards it and it's a good indicator or personal progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Age 37, 5ft 10, currently overweight at 95kg due to injury time out.

Typical 4 sets pull ups
    Set 1 with 15kg on weighted belt - 16 reps

Set 2 with 10 kg 14 reps

Set 3 with 7.5kg 14 reps

Set 4 with 5kg 18 reps

Without additional weight can manage up to 35 pull ups, nice and slow.

By far my strongest exercise, possibly helped by my huge lats. Always had lats long before i was a gym head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

c. 80 Kg.

Current - 2 sets of 5 as part of a larger workout with dumbbells, adjustable bench and pull-ups.
    Best - About 15 some years ago at a house party. My form was pretty good at the time as I did a lot but I cannot be certain I did a full 1-2 second dead hang at the end of each one as it was after a few drinks.

I find pull-ups and chin-ups to be a great exercise. Finally getting back to them after being stuck without a bar for nearly a year and it was immediately apparent how they exercise certain upper body muscle groups that I found difficult to safely exercise with dumbbells.
    I was never the most technical exerciser. This thread's great for some more information. Are negatives the best way to improve pull-up counts?

I always get skeptical of anyone who says they can do over 20 strict pull ups. Magnus Mitbo is a world class climber can do weigthed one arm chins and even one arm muscle ups but his max is 24 and admits himself he thought his number was closer to 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aV42el_bQ4

As for the best way to build pull up count this really varies on the person I have been recommended by both gymnasts and rock climbers to do one arm static work to help up your numbers which did work for me but it really depends on the individual. For some its strength and for others its endurance for example.

I always get skeptical of anyone who says they can do over 20 strict pull ups. Magnus Mitbo is a world class climber can do weigthed one arm chins and even one arm muscle ups but his max is 24 and admits himself he thought his number was closer to 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aV42el_bQ4

As for the best way to build pull up count this really varies on the person I have been recommended by both gymnasts and rock climbers to do one arm static work to help up your numbers which did work for me but it really depends on the individual. For some its strength and for others its endurance for example.

You're free to be skeptical, but i have nothing whatsoever to gain from lying online.

Maybe the gymnastics background up to the age of 17 helped, along with the fact i must have done 10 sets of them a day along with a couple hundred push ups daily through my teen years up to my mid 20s.

And then theirs the other side of the coin, i cant squat more than 130kg without my legs giving way even though they look like theyd handle 400kg lol

Well the long life of gymnastics is a pretty good explanation :)

I have had a lot of people tell me they can do x amount and often cant do 1 strict one so that makes a lot of sense now. Even if the squat is low I imagine your deadlift would be fairly high though.

Well the long life of gymnastics is a pretty good explanation :)

I have had a lot of people tell me they can do x amount and often cant do 1 strict one so that makes a lot of sense now. Even if the squat is low I imagine your deadlift would be fairly high though.

Without a belt / wraps my best 1rm to date is 275kg, my typical style was always reverse pyramid ie 1st set for 2 reps, 2nd for 4 reps and 3rd for 6 reps.

Alot of focus on linear progression /progressive overload without completely destroying my central nervous system

Im paying the price now though, half crippled with injuries and walkimg aroind like an 80year old.

Heart is completely broken regarding the time out of the gym, it was my sanctuary.

Sorry to hear it mate I broke my hand a few years back was a long lay off almost all of my hobbies so I know the feeling hope you heal up soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement