Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym users hogging equipment to use phones

• 25-05-2019 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Regular gym user here getting fed up of people "chilling out" on gym equipment just to use their phones. Has anyone noticed how bad this is getting? Particularly in the last couple of years.

They turn up in their tight revealing gym ware, hop on to some piece of equipment, take a few selfies (presumably for validation on social media), gossip with their friends and then just sit there scrolling on the phone. Maybe push out one or two reps. I have observed this behavior occur for up 30-45 minutes at a time.

Question...

Is it okay to kindly ask these people to move on if you want to use said piece of equipment?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Course it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Fiddlesticks99

Right, its not a glam event. I mean if you want to look pretty and show off tight clothes for attention.... then go out on the town. I have had conversations with friends both gym users & gym employees who seem to have a wait your turn attitude. Its almost my fault for not getting there first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Yep, this really boils my piss. I always ask them if they would like me to take a few pics of them on their phones so they can show all their friends. When they say no I ask them to politely remove themselves from the said machine. Normally does the trick

Nice, suppose im too passive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Gerry G wrote: »
    Yep, this really boils my piss. I always ask them if they would like me to take a few pics of them on their phones so they can show all their friends. When they say no I ask them to politely remove themselves from the said machine. Normally does the trick

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

have a quick **** and an energy drink.

sure it'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do you even Insta bro?

Here's how to spot your classic textbook example OP

They have a iPhone XR or Galaxy X and they hold it rather conspicuously - the fact they can hold it in one hand is a personal pkus

They act and talk a bit like Joe Pesci in Good Fellas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Regular gym user here getting fed up of people "chilling out" on gym equipment just to use their phones. Has anyone noticed how bad this is getting? Particularly in the last couple of years.

They turn up in their tight revealing gym ware, hop on to some piece of equipment, take a few selfies (presumably for validation on social media), gossip with their friends and then just sit there scrolling on the phone. Maybe push out one or two reps. I have observed this behavior occur for up 30-45 minutes at a time.

Question...

Is it okay to kindly ask these people to move on if you want to use said piece of equipment?

Thoughts?

You can ask to work in and use it when they're not using it. Fairly standard fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’d say something politely if they are taking the p**s. Just ask if you can jump on there. Some people are so inconsiderate it’s crazy.

One issue we have in my gym is people doing yoga and stretches in front of the squat / bench racks for ages. Are these people completely stupid? In fairness there is a bit of an issue with the layout and floor space is tight but I just cannot fathom how anyone would think this is ok when it’s busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

You can ask to work in and use it when they're not using it. Fairly standard fare.

But Alf, that still wouldn't do anything about their tight, revealing clothing that seems to be bothering the OP so much. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I’d say something politely if they are taking the p**s. Just ask if you can jump on there. Some people are so inconsiderate it’s crazy.

One issue we have in my gym is people doing yoga and stretches in front of the squat / bench racks for ages. Are these people completely stupid? In fairness there is a bit of an issue with the layout and floor space is tight but I just cannot fathom how anyone would think this is ok when it’s busy.

Agreed, I also see a lot of these people just sitting on mats on their phones, taking up floor space and doing nothing.

It does seem like the going to the gym is now a status thing or fashionable to do so, hence you get all these morons swanning about the gym, copying the social media influencers.

Infuriating

Agreed, I also see a lot of these people just sitting on mats on their phones, taking up floor space and doing nothing.

It does seem like the going to the gym is now a status thing or fashionable to do so, hence you get all these morons swanning about the gym, copying the social media influencers.

Infuriating

I can see how someone might be pissed off if they asked to work in and were told 'no' but you haven't and you're annoyed about their tight attire and what they do on their phones.

Just go ask them to work in. Neither of you needs the rack to yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I actually go up to them, gesture and ask, nicely mind! Sometimes people just forget.

Yes I stated this from the outset, sitting on equipment just to use phones....whats your point?

Yes I stated this from the outset, sitting on equipment just to use phones....whats your point?

Have you asked anyone, that was guilty of what was outlined in the OP, to move where they were fluting about on equipment you wanted to use?

No, as I inferred in my original question....."Is it okay to kindly ask these people to move on if you want to use said piece of equipment?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's what you should always do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Sure most people go on their phone when they're on a rest inbetween reps. Nothing wrong there tbh.

No not at all

• Advertisement

No, as I inferred in my original question....."Is it okay to kindly ask these people to move on if you want to use said piece of equipment?"

Yes.

They have no more right to the equipment than you.

ETA: I use my old handset to record notes on what I'm doing. So I can be sitting at a rack looking at my phone between sets not being on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No not at all
    It's perfectly acceptable to have a rest between sets. I don't see why using their phone vrs just sitting there winds you up.

Read my original post please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Read my original post please
    I read your OP and the hyperbole.
    I was replying to your post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Had a guy last week using a dumbbell I needed to prop up his phone so he could livestream his workout.I asked for it as it was still on the rack. He wasn't too impressed but that's his loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You didn’t infer it. You stated it.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gerry G wrote: »

No you don't

https://twitter.com/_DHOTYA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The phone or the machine? :confused:

GreeBo wrote: »
    The phone or the machine? :confused:

Just the tip machine/equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Its important to get the hashtags done first and out there to the army of followers desperately wanting an update on how the session is going
    #inspiration #workout #amazeballs #......

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shootnbreeze

I used to keep my workout routine on my phone but got fed up with it. So I went back to paper and pen as having the phone with me was a pain to mind as I was never a fan of those little velcro phone holders.

Advertisement