Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many strict pull ups can you do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I screwed my shoulder badly so decided to smash the hell out of my legs for 6 months....... Bad idea....

Now im absolutely foked with hip/tailbone /knee pain on one side.

Due to be checked for lymes disease and arthritis, fingers crossed i get some answers and get back in the gym asap

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I can do 7 now with that kind of strict form.. I never really felt any point for me in going beyond 10 per set tbh (improper form towards the end it must be said), never had a specific need for it. I found the one arm+towel version to be really useful and interesting as a variation, as well as changing grip during the sets to swap to a chin-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

italodisco wrote: »
    I screwed my shoulder badly so decided to smash the hell out of my legs for 6 months....... Bad idea....

Now im absolutely foked with hip/tailbone /knee pain on one side.

Due to be checked for lymes disease and arthritis, fingers crossed i get some answers and get back in the gym asap

Sounds a bit like Aids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Sounds a bit like Aids.
    :pac:
    The tested me for hiv and hep last year in hospital so it aint that....

I've an extremely high pain tolerance so theres definitely something going on if its bothering me alot.

I walked around for over a week with a broken wrist and a broken finger, all which had to be rebroken in hospital lol says it all really :D

:pac:
    The tested me for hiv and hep last year in hospital so it aint that.... :D
    #You may be at risk if you've been a MSM (man who squats with men) since.

At least I think that's what it stands for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

#You may be at risk if you've been a MSM (man who squats with men) since.

At least I think that's what it stands for.

MSM stands for mainstream media, actually. That said, I have never understood why HIV rates were so high among newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Absolutely 0.

I am pretty fit, but carry a large amount of weight in muscle on legs. Arms cannot carry that long body and short legs... Basically look like gorilla..without the strength..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

NSAman wrote: »
    Absolutely 0.

I am pretty fit, but carry a large amount of weight in muscle on legs. Arms cannot carry that long body and short legs... Basically look like gorilla..without the strength..:)

I think Gorillas have stronger arms than legs! :D

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FImages%2F160111coachgorilla2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Crap reps about 20

True strict hang pull up, maybe 7 or 8 max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

9 in first set. Then 7 in next 4 sets with a minute and a half break. By the last rep I'm struggling to get chin over and form is bad. I'm 35, 6ft2 and about 80kg.

This time two years ago I could do none. I was using the pull up assistant machine in the gym for about 6 months before I was able to do sets without it. Pull up assistant machine is great for anyone who wants to start.

I noticed from looking around the gym that always the fittest looking people were doing pull ups so I wanted to start..... it is an amazing exercise for overall fitness . Still want to be able to get to 10×5 sets but more work to do. I don't do any abs exersise but I blame pull ups for my abs now showing as soon after I started doing pull ups every second day they started to appear.

I'm in a very busy gym. max I counted another was 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gottanage

Currently now 25(30+ if I add temp). My best clear pullups were 30+20(with adding temp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'd have my doubts that they are the strict dead hang pull ups the OP asks about.
    my thoughts exactly, need vid

You're free to be skeptical, but i have nothing whatsoever to gain from lying online.

Maybe the gymnastics background up to the age of 17 helped, along with the fact i must have done 10 sets of them a day along with a couple hundred push ups daily through my teen years up to my mid 20s.

And then theirs the other side of the coin, i cant squat more than 130kg without my legs giving way even though they look like theyd handle 400kg lol
    gymnastics back ground = well that explains it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Transform wrote: »
    my thoughts exactly, need vid

Yep anything over 20 and I need video. Except maybe long term gymnasts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I think Gorillas have stronger arms than legs! :D

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2FNetwork%2FImages%2F160111coachgorilla2.jpg

OK an upsidedown gorilla..;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Is it normal to be able to do more chin ups than pull ups and advisable to do more during training?
    For instance I may do X sets of 5 pull ups and X sets of 10 chin-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Yes chins are easier. You should be able to do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

shutup wrote: »
    Yes chins are easier. You should be able to do more.

Are pull ups and chin ups complementary to each other.... ie if you practice just one of them that you will get better at the other even if your not practicing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Are pull ups and chin ups complementary to each other.... ie if you practice just one of them that you will get better at the other even if your not practicing it.

Yes, chins have more bicep focus while pull ups are more purely back focused but back is the primary muscles involved in both.

I can do about 8 chin ups with good form, though it's not something I do regularly.

But I have really really struggled with pull ups, even on the assisted pull up machine with a lot of assistance. I think my form must stink and I may ask for guidance seeing as it is a fantastically efficient exercise and I want my limited gym time to be as constructive as possible.

What do people think is the best exercise to work your way up, assisted or negative pull ups?

• Advertisement

What do people think is the best exercise to work your way up, assisted or negative pull ups?

It depends on what part of the movement you struggle with is it the starting point, pull or lock out?

It depends on what part of the movement you struggle with is it the starting point, pull or lock out?

The pull but I couldn't be sure tbh

Try some later and let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think my form must stink

Honestly, proper pullups are just a really hard exercise, it takes tons of upper body strength. I started out having to do, like, two, before having to take a break.

I'd do 2,2,2,2,1,1, something like that, and then next time it'd be 3,2,2,2,2,1, then 3,3,2,2,2,1, etc. You really just have to work up to it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Zillah wrote: »
    Honestly, proper pullups are just a really hard exercise, it takes tons of upper body strength. I started out having to do, like, two, before having to take a break.

I'd do 2,2,2,2,1,1, something like that, and then next time it'd be 3,2,2,2,2,1, then 3,3,2,2,2,1, etc. You really just have to work up to it slowly.

It's all relative. There is a video on Youtube from about a month ago of Brian Shaw - 4 times the World's stongest man. The best he could do were 6 fairly crap pull ups.

Zillah wrote: »

if you practice them daily, rarely go to failure and vary the practice in all sessions then they progress pretty quickly

this goes for most exercises - biggest mistake is going to failure all the time

It's all relative. There is a video on Youtube from about a month ago of Brian Shaw - 4 times the World's stongest man. The best he could do were 6 fairly crap pull ups.
    any 300lb powerlifter is going to find pull ups hard not just because of their weight but also because getting your shoulder into full extension with a sh1t ton of muscle in the way is bloody hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

if you practice them daily, rarely go to failure and vary the practice in all sessions then they progress pretty quickly

this goes for most exercises - biggest mistake is going to failure all the time

Would doing them everyday and not going to failure help progress quicker rather then going to failure one day,then skip a day and going to failure again the next day?

honda boi wrote: »
    Would doing them everyday and not going to failure help progress quicker rather then going to failure one day,then skip a day and going to failure again the next day?

It comes down to how many you do? If doing them every day means more total reps across the week, then there's your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this video came up in my suggestions , it gets advanced very quickly but the first 2 minutes looks like a good starter , do negatives, isometric holds and scapula pulls

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

It comes down to how many you do? If doing them every day means more total reps across the week, then there's your answer.
    exactly - total volume of work performed and consistency matter more than intensity

Sounds like that backs up "greasing the groove"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's 415lbs. Very few people in the world are pulling up that weight even once.
    When you consider them in terms of load and not reps they are no different than any other lift imo

Sounds like that backs up "greasing the groove"
    Id put in far more variety when applying greasing the grove as it allows for more repetition without repetition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Mellor wrote: »
    He's 415lbs. Very few people in the world are pulling up that weight even once.
    When you consider them in terms of load and not reps they are no different than any other lift imo

Which is why I said it's all relative. No point comparing me doing a dozen at 165lbs with someone who is 415lbs doing even one.

Which is why I said it's all relative. No point comparing me doing a dozen at 165lbs with someone who is 415lbs doing even one.
    165lbs is far more within the normal body weight range than 400+lbs

165lbs is far more within the normal body weight range than 400+lbs
    worked on a pull up program with lots of variation, here you go guys

Pull-up Program – get your first or build up your pulling strength

Points to keep in mind –
    • This is a program to be used by those that can’t do a pull up yet or those that struggle to get a handful of pull ups
    • The program has work programmed daily. It will take 10-12mins to do if it’s on it’s own but you can also slot the pulling in while you’re resting between other exercises e.g. in between breaks while doing squats/lunges etc.
    • It’s important to please test your current pulling strength before starting – hang from a bar and check if you can do one, if you can’t do any then check if you can jump and pull chin over the bar (underhand or overhand grip) and lower slowly (5secs lowering) or use enough band assistance to allow for 1-2reps you can just about manage. This will act as your baseline which you should retest about every two weeks and performed at the start of any training session while your fresh, warm-up adequately before you test.
    • The 7 days programmed can be run for 6-8 weeks which should be enough time to get or build your pull up. When you can do pull ups I suggest adding in a session with weighted pull ups and decreasing the frequency of pull ups so your training can move slightly towards a different goal.
    • Grip – technically an underhand grip (palms facing towards you) is a chin up and palms facing away (overhand) is a pull up. I also program pulling exercises in a neutral grip (palms facing each other, same position you would have if shaking someone’s hand), such as, parallel grip bar pull ups, rope/towel pull ups, ring pull ups, ring rows.
    • If you need to use band assistance then please watch the video here to show you how to do that in a few different ways – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHCLgrcH1cQ
    • There are seven sessions programmed and ideally you would get them all done in one week, but this can be spaced out according to how often you can get to train. Having a home doorframe pullup bar would be ideal and they’re very cheap. If you want to get better at any skill you need to do it regularly, however the harder you push yourself the longer you’re going to have to recover. As we would like you to perform the program often please make sure that you’re not pushing every set or day to your limit. The last set should be the only one that you’re working to your limit or going to failure. Going to complete failure on all working sets will compromise your training for the following day and is counterproductive.
    • It’s important to work on just on vertical pulling (pull-ups etc) but also on horizontal pulling which is why there is some rowing movements covered as they allow for more scapular retraction.
    • The variation on the pull ups is important as we want to vary the movement slightly in each session as it allows for repetition without repetition i.e. you’re not doing the exact same reps, grip or style of pulling daily so it makes it harder to burnout or over train the pulling pattern
    • The ultimate pulling strength is straddle rope climbs, building your pull ups to the point where you can attempt these is a very high and worthy goal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEotwklXDzo

Session 1 Paused Pull-ups 3reps, please make sure you lower slowly for 3-5secs- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mRab0sTzU
    5-6 sets with 90secs rest between sets – feel free to do core work or mobility wok on your break.

Core work ideas here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXj7Y6uj7g&list=PL7HyOap7lRny4eJPpPPGBkkGV0CmfFeWg
    Mobilty work covered in link above

Session 2 High rep pull-ups 7-10reps – use band assistance as needed –
    5-6 sets with 90secs rest between sets – feel free to do core work or mobility wok on your break.

Core work ideas here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXj7Y6uj7g&list=PL7HyOap7lRny4eJPpPPGBkkGV0CmfFeWg

Session 3 Rope or Towel pull-ups 3-5reps, scale as needed as shown in vdeo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7tXl2NcRI

Session 4 Pendaly row 8-10reps (use barbell or Kettlebells/dumbbells) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lG-wq9B0h8

Session 5 Chin ups (underhand grip) 5reps and use band assistance as needed

Session 6 Banded pulldowns 12-15reps these are supposed to be easier than many other pulling movements so focus on form and pulling with lats and not pulling shoudlers upwards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imftgWv9Pyw&t=3s

Session 7 One arm rows 8rep per side - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUGrQopEFgY&t=5s or Ring rows 6-8reps (covered here at 1min in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnTCswcA-aw )

Advertisement