Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chalad

RadioClash wrote: »
    Don't go throwing insults around, it's unbecoming.

This coming from the guy with a huge chip on his shoulder! :D
    I never said it always get's respect, don't put words in my mouth. Generally those who learn it get accorded more respect from Koreans, that is more than a fair statement and I'll stand behind it.

You seem to be totally obsessed about what Koreans think of you. Shows a huge inferiority complex on your part. "My guess", is that the average Korean still doesn't care for you, or whatever backstreet hagwon that you work at. :)
    Humans have moved on from grunting and pointing, I'm glad, and thanks for the non verbal statistic you got from day one of your TEFL course.

I didn't need to do a T.E.F.L course, I'm a qualified teacher. You obviously wasted your money on some Mickey Mouse online cert, no need to feel bitter about it buddy. :)
    It doesn't matter about the standard of English of your students. I know who I respect more, those that try and generally succeed.

Again, you're totally misinformed. Most Korean students don't want to learn English, they are forced to do it, which leads to huge resentment on their part.
    Am I right in thinking that their English is far superior to your Korean?

Like I said, they've been learning it for 20-30 years, they've got a bit of a head start! That said, a lot of them are still appalling, and many HAVE ALREADY studied overseas.
    Many students of English have never set foot in a country where English is widely spoken, what's your excuse for your poor Korean? You live here for goodness sakes.

See above.

Furthermore, I'm employed to teach a foreign language, I have enough Korean to get by, and in any case, my Korean wife speaks fluent English, so there's no onus on me to learn Korean to a high level. We don't plan to be here beyond 2014, so speaking fluent Korean would be a waste of time and resources for me.
    As for your friend as you said, that's all individual experience. Gyopo's and foreigners alike get their knickers in a twist about honorifics and the level to which they are spoken to. I'm not surprised, it's an aspect of the language very difficult to digest when you learn it and how to respond to it. But you wouldn't know much about that.

There you go again with the passive aggressive stuff. You don't have a clue how it works in the corporate world here, for the average Korean.
    Anyway, Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be suggesting that in lieu of learning the native language, people pointing and grunting for years of their life are accorded equal respect to those who actually have by Koreans? You actually think that? Here's a tip, ask your Korean workmates/friends who they actually respect more. Astonishing stuff. You live in a fantasy land. Good news everyone, no-one has to learn languages anymore, we've been doing it wrong all along according to Chalad.

You seem to be absolutely obsessed with gaining respect from Koreans. The reality is you're probably totally disrespected by Koreans and others, hence the reason you have such a chip on your shoulder. Every Irish person that I have met in person or online, has been absolutely spot on.....except for you. You seem a bit of a weirdo/social reject.

I talk to my wife's friends and family often, whether foreigners choose to learn Korean or not, is not a big deal. Furthermore, I have many Korean friends who prefer to practice their English, rather than speak Korean with my fluent, Korean speaking foreigner friends.

You chose to put in the time, to learn Korean, well done, you deserve a medal. I didn't and my life is still very easy here. I don't need to call English hotlines or friends to help me, but I wouldn't go knocking and insulting the people that do, unlike you.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

FCUM wrote: »
    Has anyone had any dealings with teach esl korea? Their site seems good http://teacheslkorea.com/index.html but im sure they all can. They claim to have experience with working with couples so would be good for us.

Still havent decided on where our prefered location is but leaning away from Seoul I think. Anyone got any input on this?
    ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Chalad wrote: »
    This coming from the guy with a huge chip on his shoulder! :D

You seem to be totally obsessed about what Koreans think of you. Shows a huge inferiority complex on your part. "My guess", is that the average Korean still doesn't care for you, or whatever backstreet hagwon that you work at. :)

I didn't need to do a T.E.F.L course, I'm a qualified teacher. You obviously wasted your money on some Mickey Mouse online cert, no need to feel bitter about it buddy. :)

Again, you're totally misinformed. Most Korean students don't want to learn English, they are forced to do it, which leads to huge resentment on their part.

Like I said, they've been learning it for 20-30 years, they've got a bit of a head start! That said, a lot of them are still appalling, and many HAVE ALREADY studied overseas.

See above.

Furthermore, I'm employed to teach a foreign language, I have enough Korean to get by, and in any case, my Korean wife speaks fluent English, so there's no onus on me to learn Korean to a high level. We don't plan to be here beyond 2014, so speaking fluent Korean would be a waste of time and resources for me.

There you go again with the passive aggressive stuff. You don't have a clue how it works in the corporate world here, for the average Korean.

You seem to be absolutely obsessed with gaining respect from Koreans. The reality is you're probably totally disrespected by Koreans and others, hence the reason you have such a chip on your shoulder. Every Irish person that I have met in person or online, has been absolutely spot on.....except for you. You seem a bit of a weirdo/social reject.

I talk to my wife's friends and family often, whether foreigners choose to learn Korean or not, is not a big deal. Furthermore, I have many Korean friends who prefer to practice their English, rather than speak Korean with my fluent, Korean speaking foreigner friends.

You chose to put in the time, to learn Korean, well done, you deserve a medal. I didn't and my life is still very easy here. I don't need to call English hotlines or friends to help me, but I wouldn't go knocking and insulting the people that do, unlike you.

Not being viewed as person ignorant of the culture that surrounds me is fairly important to me actually. You choose not to partake fully in society here, that's your choice, but you're living a narrow life. You say you have an easy life. I bet you do, you most likely have your wife look after your bills/banking/everyday life. Or have to hunt down someone proficient enough in English to look after you. You want Korea on your own terms.

As for my 'ignorance' about the corporate world here(or indeed where I work), don't make presumptions as you may end up looking foolish. You're just fumbling around waving your hands letting other people look after you. They should have issued nappies to you at immigration. As for social reject, (edited for good taste) well I had something else posted here but I'm not going to stoop to your level.

You lashed out straight away when it was suggested that it might be a good idea to learn Korean and people who don't are losing out, and you accuse me of having a chip on my shoulder? You're a funny guy, take a look at your posts, you went on the attack straight away after a series of fairly innocuous posts not even involving you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

The initial arguement was between Kraggy and Radioclash and it seemed amicable enough. (considering how arguments on the internet usually go).

Chalad, you now have 6 posts on Boards and most of them are being directed at radioclash and it's derailing a great thread.

Can we get back to simply having a good discussion about living and teaching in Korea, rather than the rights and wrongs of speaking Korean or not.

The name calling was also quite petty.

cloneslad wrote: »

I agree, for what it's worth the 'I pity you' comment is what kicked it off though. Not helpful towards the thread. Anyway this is the last of it from me.

• Advertisement

Not being viewed as person ignorant of the culture that surrounds me is fairly important to me actually. You choose not to partake fully in society here, that's your choice, but you're living a narrow life.

WRONG AGAIN! I have a Korean wife, family and a few good Korean friends here. My kid is half Korean, I interact here LOTS, and talk to and hang out with the locals on a regular basis.
    You say you have an easy life. I bet you do, you most likely have your wife look after your bills/banking/everyday life. Or have to hunt down someone proficient enough in English to look after you. You want Korea on your own terms.

WRONG! We do everything TOGETHER, that's what couples do. I didn't hunt anyone down, 2 of my best ex-students are bank managers, they APPROACHED ME. :)

As for my 'ignorance' about the corporate world here(or indeed where I work), don't make presumptions as you may end up looking foolish. You're just fumbling around waving your hands letting other people look after you. They should have issued nappies to you at immigration.

Again, you're talking nonsense. If you knew anything about Korean Corporate culture you would know that it's brutal. I teach a lot of bankers and most of them hate the environment and would love to get out of it/Korea. Actually, you're the clown that keeps making one wrong presumption after the other. Another thing, I would never want to work for a corporate company here. The last guy from my uni that did that, ended up making half of what I make per month, and gets five days holidays. I prefer to enjoy my 3 days a week work schedule, 60,000 won an hour overtime business/finance classes and my 5.5 months paid vacation every year. :)
    As for social reject, (edited for good taste) well I had something else posted here but I'm not going to stoop to your level. You lashed out straight away when it was suggested that it might be a good idea to learn Korean and people who don't are losing out, and you accuse me of having a chip on my shoulder? You're a funny guy, take a look at your posts, you went on the attack straight away after a series of fairly innocuous posts not even involving you.

As for your comment (too late on the edit btw) about my Korean wife, this proves how much of a social reject you really are. I've been living in Korea for four years, why wouldn't I date Korean girls and end up getting married, after meeting the right person? When I lived in Ireland, I dated Irish girls, when I lived in England, I dated English girls, when I lived in Canada, I dated Canadian girls. I guess you lack the social skills to be able to understand this. :)

The initial arguement was between Kraggy and Radioclash and it seemed amicable enough. (considering how arguments on the internet usually go).

Well this radiohead character seems a little aggressive to others.
    Chalad, you now have 6 posts on Boards and most of them are being directed at radioclash and it's derailing a great thread.

Just replying, will get around the rest of the board soon. :)
    Can we get back to simply having a good discussion about living and teaching in Korea, rather than the rights and wrongs of speaking Korean or not.

Ok.

Agreed, I shouldn't have responded. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

but lufthansa have brought in new excess baggage fees which are a hell of a lot cheaper for long haul. now it's priced per item not by kilogram.

e.g if i bring an extra 23kg suitcase it'll cost me only 50 euro
    another on top of that is a 100 euro on top of the 50 etc

but lufthansa have brought in new excess baggage fees which are a hell of a lot cheaper for long haul. now it's priced per item not by kilogram.

e.g if i bring an extra 23kg suitcase it'll cost me only 50 euro
    another on top of that is a 100 euro on top of the 50 etc

I have used Lufthansa a couple of times in the last 12 months to visit Spain and also Greece. As you'd expect with a German airline, they were very efficient. Food was well above average for airplane food and the service was great. I was 3.5kgs over my weight allowance and they didn't charge me.

WRONG AGAIN! I have a Korean wife, family and a few good Korean friends here. My kid is half Korean, I interact here LOTS, and talk to and hang out with the locals on a regular basis.

WRONG! We do everything TOGETHER, that's what couples do. I didn't hunt anyone down, 2 of my best ex-students are bank managers, they APPROACHED ME. :)

Again, you're talking nonsense. If you knew anything about Korean Corporate culture you would know that it's brutal. I teach a lot of bankers and most of them hate the environment and would love to get out of it/Korea. Actually, you're the clown that keeps making one wrong presumption after the other. Another thing, I would never want to work for a corporate company here. The last guy from my uni that did that, ended up making half of what I make per month, and gets five days holidays. I prefer to enjoy my 3 days a week work schedule, 60,000 won an hour overtime business/finance classes and my 5.5 months paid vacation every year. :)

As for your comment (too late on the edit btw) about my Korean wife, this proves how much of a social reject you really are. I've been living in Korea for four years, why wouldn't I date Korean girls and end up getting married, after meeting the right person? When I lived in Ireland, I dated Irish girls, when I lived in England, I dated English girls, when I lived in Canada, I dated Canadian girls. I guess you lack the social skills to be able to understand this. :)

Err, thanks for the life story. Bank managers, Canadian girlfriends, 5 months vacation and children oh my. Can I get some salt and vinegar with these chips please?

All of course nothing to do with the topic at hand. Congratulations you just made the thread and debate all about you. I bet you're a wow at dinner parties.

(P.S I never mentioned anything about Korean corporate culture, about which I happen to know plenty, you brought it up as a non-sequitur and it had nothing to do with the language debate at hand)

• Advertisement

Err, thanks for the life story. Bank managers, Canadian girlfriends, 5 months vacation and children oh my. Can I get some salt and vinegar with these chips please?

All of course nothing to do with the topic at hand. Congratulations you just made the thread and debate all about you. I bet you're a wow at dinner parties.

(P.S I never mentioned anything about Korean corporate culture, about which I happen to know plenty, you brought it up as a non-sequitur and it had nothing to do with the language debate at hand)
    Anyway this is the last of it from me.

Oh dear radiohead, another lie from you. Nice to see that you can't be trusted, when it comes to keeping your word. :)

Oh dear radiohead, another lie from you. Nice to see that you can't be trusted, when it comes to keeping your word. :)

Mate, you started the slinging of mud and you continued after I said I was done with it. Get a grip. Have the last word, you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Mate, you started the slinging of mud and you continued after I said I was done with it. Get a grip. Have the last word, you need it.

Right lads, seriously how about letting it go?! Its not informative on moving to or teaching in Korea anymore and its very petty. Learn the language, don't learn the language, use translators or do it yourself, whatever, let people make up their own minds.

Mate, you started the slinging of mud

Wrong "mate", you're all over this thread, like a pig in muck, with your passive aggressive ****. Sticking your nose in the air because you took a few classes in Korean, wow I'm so impressed. :P
    and you continued after I said I was done with it. Get a grip.

Yeah, you did, didn't you? :D...and another thing, you don't tell me when I'm done. :)
    Have the last word, you need it.

Sure, seeing as you insist. ;)

...........................So, teaching English in Korea, what's that like? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Right, this thread has gone entirely off topic. There is to be no more talk about what language people use to get around, unless you are giving constructive advice. The arguing is to stop now. The next person to post off-topic will get an infraction. Repeat offenders will get a ban.

Chalad and RadioClash, do not reply to each other again.

Back on topic now please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jesus loves me

I'm just wondering how much money I would need from the start of the process to my first paycheck. How much will it cost for all my documentation, flights, spending money, etc. I'm quite skint at the moment and on the dole looking for a job, so I have started saving but not much. I see that the application process for EPIK will be starting from October to December for March, so I realise I will need some money quite soon.

Also, and I'm sure that these questions may have been answered already but, is the EPIK route the safest and most reliable route to go in comparison to the hagwons? (I'm getting a bit of a headache reading through all the posts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I'm just wondering how much money I would need from the start of the process to my first paycheck. How much will it cost for all my documentation, flights, spending money, etc. I'm quite skint at the moment and on the dole looking for a job, so I have started saving but not much. I see that the application process for EPIK will be starting from October to December for March, so I realise I will need some money quite soon.

Also, and I'm sure that these questions may have been answered already but, is the EPIK route the safest and most reliable route to go in comparison to the hagwons? (I'm getting a bit of a headache reading through all the posts!)

I know a few people who are working EPIK here. They're settled in the public schools with no issues. I'm in a hagwon and had a safe a reliable route. :)

I'm just wondering how much money I would need from the start of the process to my first paycheck.

€400 if you are very careful for the first month, €1000 if you want to go out all the time and travel around a bit at the weekend. Any amount in between for how you live between those to margins.
    How much will it cost for all my documentation,
    You should get all your docements gathered and stamped, sent over to Korea andget your visa put in your passport at the embassy for about €200-250
    flights,

Your school will pay for these, if they don't pay up front, they will refund you the money. You can get one way flights for €400 and up, depending who with, when, layovers etc.

I'm quite skint at the moment and on the dole looking for a job, so I have started saving but not much. I see that the application process for EPIK will be starting from October to December for March, so I realise I will need some money quite soon.
    Start getting things ready now, bit by bit. It's easier to break your spending up rather than have to pay all in bulk sum.

Hagwons can be great, hagwons can be cr*p, it's just a matter of looking into it, finding out as much information about the school as possible and making an informed decision. Find out the hours they work, would you be happy doing those hours etc.

With EPIK schools, you won't be able to speak to the current teacher (well rarely anyway), if you get hired in the bulk hiring period, you won't know where you'll be living, you'll be guaranteed your wages (not always a dead cert in Hagwons), you'll likely be the only foreign teacher in the school (though not always).

If you're a first time teacher, which I assume you are, you'd get better money teaching in a hagwon. You'd most likely start at 1.8million with epik, but you can easily get 2.1million-2.2million per month in a hagwon.

If you're a first time teacher, which I assume you are, you'd get better money teaching in a hagwon. You'd most likely start at 1.8million with epik, but you can easily get 2.1million-2.2million per month in a hagwon.

Yeah, I started off at 2.1 mil. If you are out in the country you can get a "Rural Allowance" of 100,000 on top of your regular public school pay, but I don't know how much my mate was getting in total for his schools. He was teaching at two schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Hi guys. I'm looking at going to South Korea to teach English. I'm finished college in December, and would be able to provide transcripts or a letter from the college saying this, but won't be able to get the actual degree parchment until September. Do any of you know if there's a way around this or is this an unmoving rule? Seems like a bit of a waste to wait 9 months for a piece of paper.

(Sorry if this already came up, looked, but didn't see it anywhere in the post already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

From start to finish you'll need

Flight: 600
    First month's living: 700 (minimum!)
    Documents apostilled and sent to Korea: 140 (20 euro for solicitor - 40 euro for D.Foreign Affairs - 80 euro Ups/Fedex)
    Visa: 50

So, minimum 1490 altogether (minimum)

@Cloneslad: Really can't see how anyone could land in Korea with 400 euro in their pocket for the first month. Definitely not in Seoul anyway. Take into account having to buy sheets and pillows for the bed, saucepans etc. And then consider that a newly-arrive doesn't know where the cheapest places to buy stuff are etc.

I spent 1000 in my first month here. I could have spent a little less but cannot see at all how I could have landed in Korea with less than 700.

You really don't want to worry about money in your first month here with so much to take in, new job, new language, new currency, new system etc.

If you're not sure you'll have enough money, maybe get a loan for a portion of the costs. If you work for a public school, you get the settlement allowance (200 euro) within 2 weeks of starting and your flight allowance and months pay at the end of your first month.

kraggy wrote: »

Documents apostilled and sent to Korea: 140 (20 euro for solicitor - 40 euro for D.Foreign Affairs - 80 euro Ups/Fedex)

@Cloneslad: Really can't see how anyone could land in Korea with 400 euro in their pocket for the first month. Definitely not in Seoul anyway. Take into account having to buy sheets and pillows for the bed, saucepans etc. And then consider that a newly-arrive doesn't know where the cheapest places to buy stuff are etc.

I spent 1000 in my first month here. I could have spent a little less but cannot see at all how I could have landed in Korea with less than 700.

You really don't want to worry about money in your first month here with so much to take in, new job, new language, new currency, new system etc.

If you're not sure you'll have enough money, maybe get a loan for a portion of the costs. If you work for a public school, you get the settlement allowance (200 euro) within 2 weeks of starting and your flight allowance and months pay at the end of your first month.

Yeah, I would ensure that you have 700+ at least to start off with.

Even though I'm in a hagwon, my boss gave me a new place with a new bed sheet, pillow, quilt, vacuum cleaner, pots and pan, other kitchen utensils etc. So I guess I was pretty lucky to have such a caring woman in my life. :D

Nonetheless, you'd want to have money to set up your kitchen, toilet and utility room...,i.e. toilet roll, shampoo & cond (if you haven't brought some along), cleaning sprays, toilet duck, bins, soap, other kitchen utensils that weren't supplied, washing powder, pegs (for clothes or for keeping food fresh - bags) etc etc, and they are the basics.

I can't remember if my boss bought the kettle or the toaster (most likely the kettle for noodles :p), but I also purchased one of those items, a sandwich toaster, a hand blender, a juicer (or regular blender: I use it for smoothies) and various other pots, containers or utensils for helping out in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I brought over about 300 dollars which I changed into won and 300euro on my O2 money card. I was feeling the pinch a little but if you hit up a CITIBANK atm it will allow you to take money out of your foreign account. I've seen citibank atms in every train station.

The charge for taking money out is 3000 won which is about 1.80e which isn't too bad at all I think! :)

When I got over I had a duvet, pillows pots and pans. I have no need for a kettle yet, it's still too warm to drink tea. I brought over some shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and other bits and bobs too. :)

kraggy wrote: »

It was a €400 minimum, I'm not saying it would be easy, but it can be done. My school provided me with everything for the apartment, including bedding and electrical items (though I took my own quilt cover with me).

For the majority of my time in korea I was able to live on €250 a month (400,000won). I don't think I ever spent more than €600 in a month. Except for when I went on holidays or had to buy christmas presents.

I don't drink or smoke so that was allowing me to save more than your average Irish person, and my week days before work were spent running during the winter or at the beach during the summer. Weekends were spent playing some form of sport and going running or to the beach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

For the majority of my time in korea I was able to live on €250 a month (400,000won). I don't think I ever spent more than €600 in a month. Except for when I went on holidays or had to buy christmas presents.

Wow, that's good going! I'd say how much I'm spending each month but you'd probably faint! Suffice to say that I've never spent less than 600. :( However, I know myself that I'm a bad example when it comes to money...

For the first month here I think it's good to get out and about a bit. Socialise and meet new people, whether that's in the pub or on a sports team, or wherever. I was lucky in that I did orientation when I got here so I had a pretty large group of friends by the time I got to Busan. Made the transition a lot easier and much more enjoyable! I can't remember exactly what I had starting out but I think it was around 1000. I got by easily enough on that but I could also have easily spent it all (and nearly did) had I been so inclined!!

It comes down to you. If you like to go out once or twice a week and travel a little then I'd go for a number closer to 1000e. If you aren't a big drinker and are sensible when it comes to money then much less will do. Korean food is pretty cheap, travel is pretty cheap, and there is plenty to do here that wont cost you an arm and a leg!

Wow, that's good going! I'd say how much I'm spending each month but you'd probably faint! Suffice to say that I've never spent less than 600. :( However, I know myself that I'm a bad example when it comes to money...

I did spend more per month my first time around, but going back after doing my masters and going to the same school meant I had seen most of korea already and I knew where to go in Geoje (where I lived). Though I did rent a car and drive up to the dmz and back which was great. I only went to seoul twice when I went to Korea again, once was to do a half marathon and the other time was to get a flight to the philippines.

I was able to save 23million won in 12 months and have a great time when I was there.

It was prob also easier for me cos there was 2 of us, so bills were split, though we did have quite a large 2 bedroom apartment and the bills were more than twice that of our friends living in studios. But we lived a 6-7 min walk to work and about 10 minute walk to homeplus and we lived in the centre of town, so we never had to pay for taxis.

Hi guys. I'm looking at going to South Korea to teach English. I'm finished college in December, and would be able to provide transcripts or a letter from the college saying this, but won't be able to get the actual degree parchment until September. Do any of you know if there's a way around this or is this an unmoving rule? Seems like a bit of a waste to wait 9 months for a piece of paper.

(Sorry if this already came up, looked, but didn't see it anywhere in the post already.

You won't be able to get a legal E2 work visa until you have the certificate in your hand. Why don't you call your uni and ask them if they will print one for you earlier. You'd have to pay extra, but I know a couple of people from UK universities that did this. They ended up getting a second degree certificate in the post, around graduation time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 coulagh

Hi everybody.

I know some of the posters on this forum used to live in Geoje or have just moved there.

I was just wondering can anyone shed some light on the avalon school in Geoje island.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

You won't be able to get a legal E2 work visa until you have the certificate in your hand. Why don't you call your uni and ask them if they will print one for you earlier. You'd have to pay extra, but I know a couple of people from UK universities that did this. They ended up getting a second degree certificate in the post, around graduation time.

I thought it was mentioned on this thread before a few times that once the college can sign a letter saying you have qualified, then that can be notarised and apostilled and you will also have your transcripts as proof, sealed and stamped. The actual degree paper won't be needed in that case if you can't get it until later.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm positive I've seen posters on this thread in the same situation and been given that advice.

Advertisement