Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

red_bairn wrote: »
    Squeaky here was dancing on a bar top in this new club...*tut tut tut* :D

There was another Boardsie who Squeaky can name because I've forgotten it but the rest were other people from different forums invited by Squeaky.

Ah, excuse you! I have pictures of you and I practising our one, two threes on the bar too! POT KETTLE BLACK!!!! :P

The other boardsie is G86. Actually met her for the first time on Saturday night Red Bairn. It's nice to hang out with Irish people though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

After looking into this a bit more me and my girlfriend have decided that we will be better off going down the hagwon route in order to be placed close together. Did even find a recruiter that said it would help couples etc.

So now the decision is where do we want to go. Anyone have any general advice on this, is there anywhere people hated/really loved. Obviously it is at the end of the day down to personal preference but if anyone has any reccomendations on places to avoid and places that are great id appreciate it.

Also the other thing is what ages to teach, from previous experience i found very young children quite hard to teach and control and with older ones it was easier. What are the age groups available, does it go all the way to secondary school too? Also is it better to have a set age group you want so you can narrow your search a bit or be completely open to it?

Regards criminal background check, i know EPIK wanted ones which were no more than 6 months old, so im reluctant to get them just yet (is also a pain because i need one from britain too as i was born there). Anyone know the story with private schools? Is it the same, i also want to make sure i dont leave it too late if getting the british one is hassle.

One question about airfare, do all hagwons cover it or does it depend. Also is it paid upfront generally or in installments.

Any other general advice on the application process? I know its early and nearly a year away but i would like to get clued up on it now rather than leaving it too late :)

FCUM wrote: »
    After looking into this a bit more me and my girlfriend have decided that we will be better off going down the hagwon route in order to be placed close together. Did even find a recruiter that said it would help couples etc.

Some places in Dave's cafe often ask for couples. Some recruiters asked if I had a spouse etc. Best way to find out is to ask which ever rectuiter you are working with!
    Anyone have any general advice on this, is there anywhere people hated/really loved.

Busan, Daegu and Seoul would be the 3main cities of choice, each of these cities are at worst like 2/3/4 hours away on a train so not so bad. I'm loving Seoul, I'm 1.5 hours away from it on the metro...but I just keep needing to go back again and again! :D
    Also the other thing is what ages to teach, from previous experience i found very young children quite hard to teach and control and with older ones it was easier.
    Kindergartners wreck my head sometimes I like teaching middle school kids. kindie/elementary school are decent hours, middle school is a little later. I only work till 7.30 and I teach from kindie to middle school and one class of adults. I've not thought high school kids. But elementary/middle school kids are lovely.
    Regards criminal background check, i know EPIK wanted ones which were no more than 6 months old, so im reluctant to get them just yet
    As long as they are within 6 months it will be grand. It usually takes about 5-10 days to get an Irish one, can't speak for the British one TBH.
    One question about airfare, do all hagwons cover it or does it depend. Also is it paid upfront generally or in installments.
    Depends on the hagwon. Usually the airfare is paid for you and they buy you a flight back at the end of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Thanks to everyone RE: the luggage question!
    I had 23kg for check in luggage and 7kg carry on, excluding my laptop, with Etihad. My flight was Dublin to Abu Dhabi, then Abu Dhabi to Incheon.

This will be the exact one I'll be taking!

So, I wonder, would a case and hold-all bag be okay to go through security, without going over the weight limits, and also bring a backpack and laptop bag on the plane, itself?

It sounds quite excessive but I hope it'll be alright because I think I'm only bringing the bare essentials! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

col89 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone RE: the luggage question!

This will be the exact one I'll be taking!

So, I wonder, would a case and hold-all bag be okay to go through security, without going over the weight limits, and also bring a backpack and laptop bag on the plane, itself?

It sounds quite excessive but I hope it'll be alright because I think I'm only bringing the bare essentials! :eek:

I think you might only be allowed bring on one piece of luggage as carry on. You can check the number of cases allowed on the Etihad website. Their excess baggage charges are quite steep. I brought a laptop bag with a few books, my laptop and a jumper...it came to 7kg. I was going to bring a little wheeled suitcase as carry-on, but the case itself weighed two kilos! 7kg isn't really a lot, so maybe weigh it before you leave.

I printed out my boarding passes when I checked in online, but was issued with different ones at Dublin. You'll get a pass for Dublin to Abu Dhabi, and one for Abu Dhabi to Seoul. The latter might not have the gate number on it, so when you get out at Abu Dhabi, there will be a desk for travel information. I can't remember exactly what the desk is called, but go there (they'll be a bit of a queue...look out for people with their passports and boarding cards in their hands... you'll know it when you see it!), and ask for the gate number for your flight. They didn't have it on the screen when I looked, so asking will stop you from panicking. There's free wifi there, in case you want to message your family, and if you'll be waiting for a few hours, exchange a few euro and grab yourself a coffee!

When you get to Incheon, follow the signs for baggage reclaim. You have to go down a floor, after a bit of a walk, and get the train to the next stop. I didn't know this, and was wondering where all my stuff was!!! There are a few currency exchange desks at the airport, so don't worry about exchanging your money at home.

Hope that helps a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

I've been told to bring about $1,000 with me to Korea to cover me for the first month. Is it handiest just to bring it in Dollars and change it to won in Korea does anyone know?

Alternatively, I don't have a credit card, but I have a visa debt card for a Euro account, would it be easier to have €1,000 in that and draw down from that, or would my card work in Korea, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

I think you might only be allowed bring on one piece of luggage as carry on. You can check the number of cases allowed on the Etihad website. Their excess baggage charges are quite steep. I brought a laptop bag with a few books, my laptop and a jumper...it came to 7kg. I was going to bring a little wheeled suitcase as carry-on, but the case itself weighed two kilos! 7kg isn't really a lot, so maybe weigh it before you leave.

I printed out my boarding passes when I checked in online, but was issued with different ones at Dublin. You'll get a pass for Dublin to Abu Dhabi, and one for Abu Dhabi to Seoul. The latter might not have the gate number on it, so when you get out at Abu Dhabi, there will be a desk for travel information. I can't remember exactly what the desk is called, but go there (they'll be a bit of a queue...look out for people with their passports and boarding cards in their hands... you'll know it when you see it!), and ask for the gate number for your flight. They didn't have it on the screen when I looked, so asking will stop you from panicking. There's free wifi there, in case you want to message your family, and if you'll be waiting for a few hours, exchange a few euro and grab yourself a coffee!

When you get to Incheon, follow the signs for baggage reclaim. You have to go down a floor, after a bit of a walk, and get the train to the next stop. I didn't know this, and was wondering where all my stuff was!!! There are a few currency exchange desks at the airport, so don't worry about exchanging your money at home.

Hope that helps a bit!

What an awesome post - thanks so much! I'm literally gonna print this one out. :D

Etihad doesn't say anything on their website about only bringing one case through the security, so I think I'll be okay with bringing the hold-all bag (hopefully)! :)

roosh wrote: »
    I've been told to bring about $1,000 with me to Korea to cover me for the first month. Is it handiest just to bring it in Dollars and change it to won in Korea does anyone know?

When my family gave me money they gave me dollars. I could change it in Incheon when I got there. I had a few euro with me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

When my family gave me money they gave me dollars. I could change it in Incheon when I got there. I had a few euro with me anyway.

Bring euro, it's accepted just as easily and you won't have to pay for currency exchange twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

col89 wrote: »
    What an awesome post - thanks so much! I'm literally gonna print this one out. :D

Etihad doesn't say anything on their website about only bringing one case through the security, so I think I'll be okay with bringing the hold-all bag (hopefully)! :)

Give yourself some time to get to the gate in Abu Dhabi too, it could be a bit of a jaunt over to it and you don't want to miss the flight!

I brought a laptop case (crammed with airport purchases too!), and a pretty big bag on to the plane, and a large coat which I couldn't fit in the bag, and a plastic bag...:p It was no problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

**FOR THOSE LIVING IN SEOUL OR COMING TO SEOUL AT ANY TIME**

The telephone number 120 is a brilliant service that came into being not so long ago.

Basically, it's a phone service that you ring for help in lots of situations. They speak English.

Examples of what I've used it for so far:

1. Was looking for directions to a 3d art gallery last week. They gave brilliant directions over the phone and said "make sure you ring us when you get to the area if you can't find the building".

2. Was waiting a while for a bus the other day and rang them to make sure I was at the right stop. They informed me that I should have been standing at another one across the road.

3. Was checking into a motel and the woman at reception couldn't understand us or what we wanted. So, rang the number, told the girl on 120 what we wanted, handed my phone to the woman in the hotel, she listened to the translation and we got booked in for the nights that we wanted.

You can use it for basically any question about transportation, any aspect of life in the city, tourist sights or just as a interpretation service. Even to explain to a taxi driver where you want to go (via the translation service).

And it's totally free.

Hours: 9am to 6pm.

Here's the website:

http://english.seoul.go.kr/gtk/news/news_view.php?idx=608

Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

kraggy wrote: »
    **FOR THOSE LIVING IN SEOUL OR COMING TO SEOUL AT ANY TIME**

The telephone number 120 is a brilliant service that came into being not so long ago.

Basically, it's a phone service that you ring for help in lots of situations. They speak English.

Examples of what I've used it for so far:

1. Was looking for directions to a 3d art gallery last week. They gave brilliant directions over the phone and said "make sure you ring us when you get to the area if you can't find the building".

2. Was waiting a while for a bus the other day and rang them to make sure I was at the right stop. They informed me that I should have been standing at another one across the road.

3. Was checking into a motel and the woman at reception couldn't understand us or what we wanted. So, rang the number, told the girl on 120 what we wanted, handed my phone to the woman in the hotel, she listened to the translation and we got booked in for the nights that we wanted.

You can use it for basically any question about transportation, any aspect of life in the city, tourist sights or just as a interpretation service. Even to explain to a taxi driver where you want to go (via the translation service).

And it's totally free.

Hours: 9am to 6pm.

Here's the website:

http://english.seoul.go.kr/gtk/news/news_view.php?idx=608

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Or you could get your finger out and learn some Korean! Not having a go, but learning the lingo is half the fun of living in a different country. I've an Irish mate who's been in country four years and he can't even order a cheeseburger in Korean. It's like hanging out with someone who chooses to be deaf/mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

Has anyone had any dealings with teach esl korea? Their site seems good http://teacheslkorea.com/index.html but im sure they all can. They claim to have experience with working with couples so would be good for us.

Still havent decided on where our prefered location is but leaning away from Seoul I think. Anyone got any input on this?

RadioClash wrote: »
    Or you could get your finger out and learn some Korean! Not having a go, but learning the lingo is half the fun of living in a different country. I've an Irish mate who's been in country four years and he can't even order a cheeseburger in Korean. It's like hanging out with someone who chooses to be deaf/mute.

Why are you presuming I have not "got the finger out" and started learning Korean? It's coming along nicely thank you very much.

Regarding, the motel incident, I was in the country less than 2 months.

The bus incident, we were at a bus stop in the middle of a dual carriageway with no one else around.

As for the 3d art gallery, it's not as if we were guaranteed that anyone in the area would know where it was. So we used the telephone service before we left so that we could save time and get there.

That's what it's there for.

Anyway, why am I explaining my actions on boards? It's a good service. People should use it. Just letting people know about it.

(By the way, "I'm not having a go but.." is akin to "I'm not a racist but...")

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

You don't need to explain at all. It's very good information to give to people especially as this thread is predominantly newbies coming to Korea. And while a lot of us do speak a lot of Korean and have been learning, there is a big difference between having a simple conversation or ordering food and getting detailed directions or explaining something that takes more than basic Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Chalad

I've an Irish mate who's been in country four years and he can't even order a cheeseburger in Korean.

Cheesburger in Korean is basic Konglish, geezburgerahh. Fairly poor example there.

Me thinks it's you that can't speak a word of Korean. :)

Chalad wrote: »
    Cheesburger in Korean is basic Konglish, geezburgerahh. Fairly poor example there.

Me thinks it's you that can't speak a word of Korean. :)

Not really, You want me to scan my TOPIK results up?

Waving your arms and pointing saying Cheeseburger in Konglishy style fashion is just barely getting your point across, and it's a bit rude to your host culture. That's the point I was trying to make.

Anyway, asking directions to the museum is basic stuff in any language, you should be able to do that after a few months and understand any directions given to you. What I'm saying is don't be that guy that can't even read or string a basic sentence together. Lot's of people actively avoid learning the language, and language is culture after all. The choice is expat bubble or making an effort to integrate to the society and culture that surrounds you.

The fact that many expats don't bother with the language is a big factor in how 'we' are treated and perceived here. It's not a d*ck waving contest, it's a quality of life thing. I enjoyed the fact that I could do all my banking in Korean and not have to call a friend/hotline to do so. And you know what my banking teller treated me with more respect because I could do so.

kraggy wrote: »
    (By the way, "I'm not having a go but.." is akin to "I'm not a racist but...")

I wasn't making presumptions, I know a lot of people do make an effort with the lingo, but not enough. This kind of hotline does make it easier to live in our expat bubble, and at the end of the day Koreans do treat you like a child if you don't speak at least rudimentary Korean. I'm basically against anything that reinforces that bubble and that attitude.

Like my mate I previously mentioned, he was often on the phone to me or his Korean friends getting us to act as interpreter when he had four years(!) to get his act in order. Do I think less of people that don't learn anything after such a length of time? A little bit actually yeah. It's mystifying that after all that time people choose to be an outsider in a country they've spent so much time in.

Like my mate I previously mentioned, he was often on the phone to me or his Korean friends getting us to act as interpreter when he had four years(!) to get his act in order. Do I think less of people that don't learn anything after such a length of time? A little bit actually yeah. It's mystifying that after all that time people choose to be an outsider in a country they've spent so much time in.

My gosh, I try to mix a little bit of english and Korean in together at the best of times, my lonely planet is in my bag if I go anywhere because it's got some phrases in the back. I'm struggling with the language, but I'll learn little by little. I have to say it would be handy to have an english speaking service as being lost in Korea is so frustrating. But, I'm not getting lost as much as I was when I first got over!

My gosh, I try to mix a little bit of english and Korean in together at the best of times, my lonely planet is in my bag if I go anywhere because it's got some phrases in the back. I'm struggling with the language, but I'll learn little by little. I have to say it would be handy to have an english speaking service as being lost in Korea is so frustrating. But, I'm not getting lost as much as I was when I first got over!

Ah yeah, It does take a while for things to click but when they do things become a lot better, and your life becomes much easier when you can do most of your chores in the language without having to resort to help. I did immersion classes at Sogang Uni and they were awesome. At first you feel the teacher is speaking very fast and you feel as if you're in over your head, but after a few weeks you start to get to grips with the grammar patters and you start acquiring and retaining vocab much faster. Something like a Taekwondo class all in Korean is good as well. On top of being helpful in your everyday life, it also got a part of my brain going that I didn't use since Leaving cert German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Is this normal?

I got a job, signed the contract and sent my documents off on Friday. On Monday morning I got an email from the recruitment agency saying that she received my documents, but that the job had been filled. Does this happen a lot?

She said that she would forward on my docs should I find a job with a different recruitment agency, which I have. For some reason i'm a bit worried that she won't send my docs on. Has anyone had experience in this?

Thanks

Elba101 wrote: »
    Is this normal?

I got a job, signed the contract and sent my documents off on Friday. On Monday morning I got an email from the recruitment agency saying that she received my documents, but that the job had been filled. Does this happen a lot?

She said that she would forward on my docs should I find a job with a different recruitment agency, which I have. For some reason i'm a bit worried that she won't send my docs on. Has anyone had experience in this?

Thanks

Not normal, but sometimes recruiters will try get your documents so that they 'have you' in other words, you've sent them all your documents (that you've paid for) and you've also paid money to get them there, so you're pretty much stuck with that recruiter or else you'll be further out of pocket.

If they will forward them to another ecruiter then fair play to them, and perhaps there was just a mess up between themselves and the school.

Waving your arms and pointing saying Cheeseburger in Konglishy style fashion is just barely getting your point across, and it's a bit rude to your host culture.

Disagree. It isn't rude at all.

Anyway, I've taught and met lots of Koreans overseas, who after 10-15 years living in Western countries, still speak Korean (when abroad), most of the time, and their level of English is often still atrocious!

Guess what? Those same Koreans still eat only Korean food and bring suitcases of kimchi on the plane! :):D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

cloneslad wrote: »
    Not normal, but sometimes recruiters will try get your documents so that they 'have you' in other words, you've sent them all your documents (that you've paid for) and you've also paid money to get them there, so you're pretty much stuck with that recruiter or else you'll be further out of pocket.

If they will forward them to another ecruiter then fair play to them, and perhaps there was just a mess up between themselves and the school.

She said she would so I'm keeping them crossed! Is there anything I can do if she doesn't?

Elba101 wrote: »
    She said she would so I'm keeping them crossed! Is there anything I can do if she doesn't?

Hope she can find you a decent position, or give her details to the recruiter you're using for the other position and she if they can get them off her.

Nothing else really, it's just one of those 'lesson learned' situations. Though there's nothing you could have done because you're gonna have to put your trust in another recruiter and hope they don't screw you over.

Make sure you speak to the school giving you the contract before sending your documents to be 100% sure that there is actually a job available.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Make sure you speak to the school giving you the contract before sending your documents to be 100% sure that there is actually a job available.

This is very good advice for anyone looking into getting work in Korea. Often recruiters can be most unscrupulous characters and claim there to be a job just to get you. Doesn't necessarly mean you'll get a bad school in the end but it does put you in the hands of just one recruiter.
    She said that she would forward on my docs should I find a job with a different recruitment agency, which I have.

Hopefully she will send on your documents as she say. When she sends them ask her to send them registered mail or with a courier and get the tracking number of it. You could them send it to your new recruiter to make sure its being done. The new recruiter should have no problem doing this for you, as it'll be in their interest to get these to get paid in the end.

Disagree. It isn't rude at all.

Anyway, I've taught and met lots of Koreans overseas, who after 10-15 years living in Western countries, still speak Korean (when abroad), most of the time, and their level of English is often still atrocious!

Guess what? Those same Koreans still eat only Korean food and bring suitcases of kimchi on the plane! :):D:rolleyes:

Depends what standards you set for yourself. If you think ordering food making hand gestures and not using the host language isn't rude then carry on doing it. Just consider how you are perceived. Koreans are generally better at English(including those that have never left the peninsula) than Western expats are at speaking Korean. And I've met Koreans in Ireland that can talk rings around the biggest of bull****ters. That I can respect. Expats in country living their lives through sign language and English tourist hotlines, not so much, and I'd imagine your average Korean feels the same way.

Depends what standards you set for yourself. If you think ordering food making hand gestures and not using the host language isn't rude then carry on doing it.

Over 70% of human communication is non verbal, making gestures and using body language is perfectly normal. :)
    Just consider how you are perceived. Koreans are generally better at English(including those that have never left the peninsula) than Western expats are at speaking Korean. And I've met Koreans in Ireland that can talk rings around the biggest of bull****ters. That I can respect.

Well duhhhhhh, Koreans have been learning English for 20 - 30 years + Einstein!!!!....even still a lot of them can barely say, My name is, in English!!! My university students (a top ten uni in Seoul), is a prime example! Koreans bull**** as well, didn't you know that?

I've met some Koreans who speak excellent English, and they've generally put in the hard graft and spent lots of money doing it. I've also met overseas Koreans, who are still terrible at English, and speak Korean overseas, meaning they waste their own time and their parents money.

I have a few friends that are fluent in Korean and you're COMPLETELY WRONG, if you think speaking Korean always gets them respect. One friend that works on TV, told me that he gets more respect when he uses English with his boss (meaning he doesn't get treated like a Korean in a lower position). Another Gyopo friend told me the exact same thing.

Expats in country living their lives through sign language and English tourist hotlines, not so much, and I'd imagine your average Korean feels the same way.

The reality is, you speak for yourself and your experiences, you have absolutely no idea what the average Korean thinks or feels. I pity you, if that's how you live your life. ;)

Radio Clash.

Why are you getting the idea that I think it should be used as a translation service only?

It's there for tourist information also. i.e. information about the opening hours of various tourist attractions, information on bus times when out and about (for those who don't have mobile internet).

Translation is just one of the many services it provides.

Did you even look at the link I provided?

You may not need to use the service, but this thread is for people thinking of coming to Korea to teach, and for those who have just arrived.

I'm sure they'll find the service handy at some stage.

• Advertisement

Over 70% of human communication is non verbal, making gestures and using body language is perfectly normal. :)

Well duhhhhhh, Koreans have been learning English for 20 - 30 years + Einstein!!!!....even still a lot of them can barely say, My name is, in English!!! My university students (a top ten uni in Seoul), is a prime example! Koreans bull**** as well, didn't you know that?

I've met some Koreans who speak excellent English, and they've generally put in the hard graft and spent lots of money doing it. I've also met overseas Koreans, who are still terrible at English, and speak Korean overseas, meaning they waste their own time and their parents money.

I have a few friends that are fluent in Korean and you're COMPLETELY WRONG, if you think speaking Korean always gets them respect. One friend that works on TV, told me that he gets more respect when he uses English with his boss (meaning he doesn't get treated like a Korean in a lower position). Another Gyopo friend told me the exact same thing.

The reality is, you speak for yourself and your experiences, you have absolutely no idea what the average Korean thinks or feels. I pity you, if that's how you live your life. ;)

Don't go throwing insults around, it's unbecoming.

I never said it always get's respect, don't put words in my mouth. Generally those who learn it get accorded more respect from Koreans, that is more than a fair statement and I'll stand behind it. Humans have moved on from grunting and pointing, I'm glad, and thanks for the non verbal statistic you got from day one of your TEFL course.

It doesn't matter about the standard of English of your students. I know who I respect more, those that try (way to insult your students btw, a top teacher you'll make). Am I right in thinking that their English is far superior to your Korean? Many students of English have never set foot in a country where English is widely spoken, what's your excuse for your poor Korean? You live here for goodness sakes.

As for your friend as you said, that's all individual experience. Gyopo's and foreigners alike get their knickers in a twist about honorifics and the level to which they are spoken to. I'm not surprised, it's an aspect of the language very difficult to digest when you learn it and how to respond to it. But you wouldn't know much about that.

Anyway, Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be suggesting that in lieu of learning the native language, people pointing and grunting for years of their life are accorded equal respect to those who actually have by Koreans? You actually think that? Here's a tip, ask your Korean workmates/friends who they actually respect more. Expats level of Korean is probably the main gripe that Koreans have with 'us'. Astonishing stuff, you live in a fantasy land.

Good news everyone, no-one has to learn languages anymore, we've been doing it wrong all along according to Chalad.

Advertisement