Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-07-2020, 11:46   #16
namloc1980

Cloudy weather not playing ball, haven't been able to see this yet. Maybe it'll be clear when it comes around again on its orbit in about 7,000 years time.
Advertisement
14-07-2020, 20:51   #17
Calibos

Any seasoned amateur astronomer in Ireland will quickly learn that all time limited astronomical events will be clouded out for the entire duration. If its a 5 minute thing, it'll be clouded out for that specific 5 mins. It its an hour thing it'll be clouded out for that hour. One night thing? Cloudy or that night only, week maximum for meteor shower? Cloudy all week. Comet visible for a few weeks?......................Guys, we won't be seeing the sky or Sun till August I am afraid. This comet is a Harbinger of Gloom
15-07-2020, 12:11   #18
M.T. Cranium

I just got in from viewing it, best around 0245h local time before much sunrise glow began to overcome it, quite easy to see without binoculars but of course more impressive in the binocs. Would say it is third magnitude about equal to the faintest of the seven primary stars in Ursa Major (which you can see off to the left of the comet for comparison). That "faintest" is only a bit fainter than the rest. My view here is a bit restricted by hills on the northern horizon, without those it would have been quite high above the horizon but where I was just a bit over the flank of the hill (which is 300 metres higher than my elevation here).

Also in view this morning, waning crescent of the Moon between Venus and Mars, both of which are very bright, and of course Jupiter and Saturn setting in the southwest. Aldebaran is quite close to Venus. Looks like a rendezvous with the moon this time tomorrow, might go back out for that.

The comet should make its way into evening sky viewing soon, I haven't got a very good view to the northwest without a long walk. By the 22nd it gets entangled with bright stars in Ursa Major (not in the primary seven but lower down, the bear's legs basically). Before that it is cruising through fairly empty skies with faint stars of the constellation Lynx which I could only see in binoculars even in near darkness. Those are closer to fifth magnitude anyway, by the time you find those you'd have seen the comet (the tail was quite easily seen naked eye too, at least the portion within a lunar diameter of the nucleus, a longer tail emerges through binoculars).

Not sure how many more days of decent viewing are left before it gets too far from the Sun to produce the goods, might be only 3-4 days left before the inevitable fade-out begins.
(3) thanks from:
15-07-2020, 12:32   #19
pauldry

If a miraculous clear slot appears in Ireland tonight what is the best time exactly to see this?

I am sure it is already written in the previous replies but I cant see it.

As in when and where do I stare at the sky in case its like now with smidgeons of blue or clear sky
15-07-2020, 12:59   #20
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
Image is a bit out of focus - may have a better one from the summit which I'll post some other time.
Here is that image I speak of from last Saturday morning.

Advertisement
15-07-2020, 19:29   #21
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Cranium View Post

Not sure how many more days of decent viewing are left before it gets too far from the Sun to produce the goods, might be only 3-4 days left before the inevitable fade-out begins.
According to that video posted in the original post (if I remember correctly) July 23rd is when the comet shall be closest to the earth.
Thanks from:
15-07-2020, 20:29   #22
lolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
If a miraculous clear slot appears in Ireland tonight what is the best time exactly to see this?

I am sure it is already written in the previous replies but I cant see it.

As in when and where do I stare at the sky in case its like now with smidgeons of blue or clear sky
Looking at Sat24 you might just need a miracle.
Look North nortwest around midnight and further to the Northeast after that.
Download a night sky app like Stellarium or similar to help find it.
Should be easy to spot IF skies clear.
15-07-2020, 20:31   #23
SouthWesterly

This might help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1594763945990.jpg (35.1 KB, 94 views)
15-07-2020, 20:33   #24
M.T. Cranium

True (comet closest to earth July 23) and that should be one positive component in maintaining visibility, but increased separation from the Sun will be working in the other direction. So it may flat-line from now to then and afterwards drop off rapidly after 23rd. Once it goes below fourth magnitude you will need binoculars to find it.

For those asking where to look, at 0200-0300h before dawn glow is too bright, try this ... once you're in a good dark place with a fairly unobstructed view north through east, locate Venus (very bright) rising with a noticeable red star beside it (Aldebaran). If tonight, you'll see the crescent of the moon in that area too. Then look off to the left (more northeast), find two stars, one fairly bright (Capella) and one about half as bright, pointing down and to the left.

Then look well to the left and find the familiar seven stars of the Big Dipper, or Plough, which will be oriented with the bowl pointing upwards, handle off to the left. Note the star which is at the intersection of handle and bowl, that one is somewhat less bright than the other six (it is third magnitude, the others closer to second). That somewhat dimmer star of the seven is very similar in magntiude to the comet's nucleus (as of last night in my view of it).

Now you should be able to spot the comet, it's going to be halfway between those two gujde stars and the bowl of the Big Dipper. It will be the only star comparable to the Big Dipper stars in that rather wide expanse of sky. If you have really dark skies, you may notice five or six fainter stars in an uneven line at roughly equal intervals. That is part of the constellation Lynx and the comet is currently moving right to left (west) below that pattern. By tonight it should have reached the mid-way point.

You should then see that it's the comet in that star-less void with a faint tail extending up and slightly to the left.

Also if you're out at that time, look in the opposite direction and find Jupiter and Saturn setting in the southwest, and then Mars quite bright and rising higher than Venus in the southeast.

Last edited by M.T. Cranium; 15-07-2020 at 20:43.
Advertisement
15-07-2020, 21:41   #25
SouthWesterly

Quote:
True (comet closest to earth July 23) and that should be one positive component in maintaining visibility, but increased separation from the Sun will be working in the other direction. So it may flat-line from now to then and afterwards drop off rapidly after 23rd. Once it goes below fourth magnitude you will need binoculars to find it.

For those asking where to look, at 0200-0300h before dawn glow is too bright, try this ... once you're in a good dark place with a fairly unobstructed view north through east, locate Venus (very bright) rising with a noticeable red star beside it (Aldebaran). If tonight, you'll see the crescent of the moon in that area too. Then look off to the left (more northeast), find two stars, one fairly bright (Capella) and one about half as bright, pointing down and to the left.

Then look well to the left and find the familiar seven stars of the Big Dipper, or Plough, which will be oriented with the bowl pointing upwards, handle off to the left. Note the star which is at the intersection of handle and bowl, that one is somewhat less bright than the other six (it is third magnitude, the others closer to second). That somewhat dimmer star of the seven is very similar in magntiude to the comet's nucleus (as of last night in my view of it).

Now you should be able to spot the comet, it's going to be halfway between those two gujde stars and the bowl of the Big Dipper. It will be the only star comparable to the Big Dipper stars in that rather wide expanse of sky. If you have really dark skies, you may notice five or six fainter stars in an uneven line at roughly equal intervals. That is part of the constellation Lynx and the comet is currently moving right to left (west) below that pattern. By tonight it should have reached the mid-way point.

You should then see that it's the comet in that star-less void with a faint tail extending up and slightly to the left.

Also if you're out at that time, look in the opposite direction and find Jupiter and Saturn setting in the southwest, and then Mars quite bright and rising higher than Venus in the southeast.
Thanks, MT. But I can't see past my front gate with low cloud.
15-07-2020, 21:49   #26
Oneiric 3

Quote:
it's going to be halfway between those two gujde stars and the bowl of the Big Dipper
We call it 'The Plough' around these ole' honky tonk parts.
Thanks from:
15-07-2020, 22:14   #27
jogdish

more clouds (west), dark skies tells me Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday nights look promising.
Thanks from:
16-07-2020, 07:38   #28
M.T. Cranium

Now it's quite easy to find in the late evening too, I think it got a bit brighter in the past 21 hours having just seen it to my NNW. Basically for evening viewing, my earlier guide won't totally work because the guide stars in Auriga (Capella and mate) are not above the horizon and the whole panorama is tilted around, you have to start from the Big Dipper (Ursa Major) and work down to the right from its bowl towards the northern horizon (not sure how to word that for Plough, you get the idea anyway). You should find the comet along that path and it's considerably brighter than anything between the Big Dipper's bowl and the horizon.

By 0100h it would be due north with tail pointing straight up, and at 0300h follow the info I posted yesterday.

Quite a sight in binoculars, somewhat faint to naked eye viewing unless you have entirely dark skies.

I realize it has been a cloudy week there, maybe the weekend will provide a few breaks. But midweek next week you may actually see it a bit brighter too, as well as higher above the horizon in the evening. It should be quite easy to find then as soon as sunset glow has faded to almost full darkness.

In any case these evening views will improve daily for the next week, as the comet heads a little higher and closer to the base of the Big Dipper-Plough and goes between the two faint pairs of stars that are in the constellation (the bear's feet for Ursa Major) and below the more familiar seven-star pattern.

This is a rough graphic of what to look for around 11 p.m. local time ...

.................................................NW.......................................................NNW......
....................................0.....................................................................................
....................0..............................0........................................................................
....................................................................0.............................................................
...................................................................................0.....................................................
..................................................................0.........................................................................
.................................................................................0...........................................................
..............................................................................................................................................
...........................o..................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................
.........................o.........................................................................o......................................:...
.................................................................................................o.......................................:...
..........................................................................................................................................:...
........................................................................................................................................ @ ..
...................................................................................................................Comet 16th-17th ...

In a couple more days it heads between those two faint stars to the lower right of the Plough/ Big Dipper and by the 23rd it's below the Plough/ Big Dipper and approaching the gap between the two fainter stars to the lower left.

Last edited by M.T. Cranium; 16-07-2020 at 07:48.
16-07-2020, 23:55   #29
pad199207

Nice view tonight over Kildare

17-07-2020, 00:16   #30
lolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad199207 View Post
Good catch, completely cloudy out here.
Also the Iss is overhead 3 times a night for the next week or so if anyone is out star/comet gazing.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion