Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Who is paying for these works? City Council, Galway Harbour or Irishrail?

all 3 equals taxpayers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Isnt' there flooding in that area already? I wonder how they will manage to lower the road and clear the flooding. Could it possibly be below high tide level?

Also stopping the bike lane right in front is a bad idea. They should stop it further back if they are not willing to allow a cycle lane, otherwise you would probably have a cyclist merging at the narrowest point. I don't see a cyclist stopping really...

I had a bit of a chuckle at the picture. It should show two trucks, pedestrians and multiple cyclists :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Sniipe wrote: »
    I had a bit of a chuckle at the picture. It should show two trucks, pedestrians and multiple cyclists :D

You'd have to wonder what was in their heads when they were producing that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

I can remember there being a large puddle underneath that bridge on several occasions in the past. It seems like lowering the road is a cheap fix to the real issue which is being pushed down the line. The bridge needs to be redesigned to allow more clearance beneath it. Make sure you bring your wellies for any future walks under the bridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

One would hope they'd build in a sump with an automatic pump to prevent flooding...

One would hope....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I was thinking pump myself, but it seems like a stop gap... Bare in mind that I'm an engineer

...software engineer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

So I today's city tribune (pg7), mayor Padraig is going to do all he can to find out about the city council's traffic plan for incidents like the one in the docks yesterday. Traffic was diverted at the radisson for 3 hrs yesterday and the city was gridlocked. Yet this is the same road that needs to be closed for two months??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ratracer wrote: »
    So I today's city tribune (pg7), mayor Padraig is going to do all he can to find out about the city council's traffic plan for incidents like the one in the docks yesterday. Traffic was diverted at the radisson for 3 hrs yesterday and the city was gridlocked. Yet this is the same road that needs to be closed for two months??

The scheduled closure won't be as severe as the incident yesterday as they had to stop all traffic on the docks yesterday (Queen St was closed) e.g. during yesterdays incident the road closures would have prevented access to the docks from Eyre Sq as well. These types of closure will not be required for these works (that's not to say it's an idea situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭ratracer

antoobrien wrote: »
    The scheduled closure won't be as severe as the incident yesterday as they had to stop all traffic on the docks yesterday (Queen St was closed) e.g. during yesterdays incident the road closures would have prevented access to the docks from Eyre Sq as well. These types of closure will not be required for these works (that's not to say it's an idea situation).

That's true, I'd forgotten about that aspect alright.

ratracer wrote: »

The Lord Mayor said that it took him 45 minutes to "travel" from the lights at Moneenageisha to City Hall. That's under a kilometre (900 metres according to Google Maps) so he was travelling at around 25-33% of walking speed. People missed appointments because "they couldn't move", the Mayor said. I'll be interested to see what the "Master Plan" he mentions has to say about such paralysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Galway City Council have posted a set of traffic management proposals:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_02.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 TheBorg

gonna be a nightmare around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmapell

This is going to add a good 20 minutes to my daily commute allowing for traffic.

I understand the reason for doing it and I'm all for the new harbour development and making access for trucks easier but 2 months of a road closer is demented!

Surely they could find someone to do the job faster than that..

This is one project which could be shortened by working shifts around the clock.

However, there is no mention of this option in any of the 6 presented by Tobins to the City Council.

Also, unless the Texaco petrol station between the bridge and Harbour Hotel significantly reduce their prices, their business will be severely impacted by the road closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

When is all this supposed to happen? or has that not been decided yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dilallio wrote: »
    This is one project which could be shortened by working shifts around the clock.

However local residents would probably like to sleep at some stage during the night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

However local residents would probably like to sleep at some stage during the night :(

the only people that would be affected by noise would be mainly the radision and possibly the harbor hotel but that is a good distance.

anyways traffic is bad regularly enough don't think poeple will notice much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Works should be flat out all day and night till they are done. The saving in disruption to the whole city will negate the extra cost for the 24hr works.

Unbelievable - According to Enda Cunningham from the City Tribune, the City Council cannot do 24 hr work on this project because a female otter lives nearby. FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Not the otter's fault that thick truck drivers can't judge their height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

You couldn't make it up!

No outer bypass because of bog cotton, now the city will grind to a halt due to an otter. Christ!

Eeden wrote: »
    When is all this supposed to happen? or has that not been decided yet?

They are taking the preferred option - a one way system incorporating the Lough Atalia - Fairgreen - College Road loop, which would allow the lights involved to be reconfigured into push button pedestrian lights.

There'll be penalties for late completion with bonuses for finishing up early, with most of the work expected to be spent relocating services e.g. broadband gas & water..

Details in the sentinel

They will start in mid September.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    now the city will grind to a halt due to an otter.

That otter is a rotter.

Not that I mind, as I actually like otters and I certainly will not be grinding to a halt. I saw an otter in a mill-race near Dominick Street once, and it was a beautiful sight to behold.

The residents of Forthill won't complain... :)

Not the otter's fault that thick truck drivers can't judge their height.

Or their thickness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Picture of the otteress required.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Picture of the otteress required.

harry_otter_by_rainyxskyz-d31xa04.jpg

I think his name is Harry ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

This is otterly deplorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So what is the chances they will keep this OPTION 3 layout
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_02.pdf
    in existence once these works are carried out?

They do love large One Way Systems in City Hall.

Page 6 of the document
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_01.pdf

has the advantages and disadvantages of this option.

So what is the chances they will keep this OPTION 3 layout
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_02.pdf
    in existence once these works are carried out?

They do love large One Way Systems in City Hall.

Page 6 of the document
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/250414_01.pdf

has the advantages and disadvantages of this option.

I'd rather they went one way Lough Atalia & College Rd in, Bohermore out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'd rather they went one way Lough Atalia & College Rd in, Bohermore out.

Obviously you don't live 1/2 way down one of them, it's a huge block to have to go around if you live at one end and need to drive in the other direction.

Advertisement