Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Tournaments Discussion 2018/19.

Options
  • 25-07-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

Here We Go Again.
    Riga Masters kicks off the TV season on Friday, live coverage on Eurosport from 1.30pm. Its a quick 3 day event, field of 64, best of 7 most of the way. Quite a few big names missing, though World Champion Mark Williams is playing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Riga_Masters#Main_draw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I see MJW provided his opponent with a walkover in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I see MJW provided his opponent with a walkover in the end.

I think its the opposite, i.e., Williams got a walkover. He's still in the outright betting anyway.

A bank holiday Monday bonus for us tomorrow as we'll see the first day of the World Open from Yushan on Eurosport in the morning and afternoon. Continues until Sunday. £150K to the winner.
    Draw here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Open_(snooker)

No Ronnie or Higgins, and Shaun Murphy lost his qualifier but everyone else seems to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Selby out of this already...not ideal so early on in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Inviere wrote: »
    Selby out of this already...not ideal so early on in the season

Didnt see the match but heard Selby was complaining about slow play which is odd given both players recorded very similar ASTs.

• Advertisement

Didnt see the match but heard Selby was complaining about slow play which is odd given both players recorded very similar ASTs.

Isn’t that a tactic he himself has used against O’Sullivan in the past? Not blatantly slow, but enough to affect Ronnie

Isn’t that a tactic he himself has used against O’Sullivan in the past? Not blatantly slow, but enough to affect Ronnie

Yeah, as much as I like and admire Selby, just seems a bit rich for him to be calling others on slow play, tactical or otherwise. Unless Noppon was really taking the p!ss or something, not having seen it can't be sure.

Yeah, as much as I like and admire Selby, just seems a bit rich for him to be calling others on slow play, tactical or otherwise. Unless Noppon was really taking the p!ss or something, not having seen it can't be sure.

Yeah haven’t seen the match myself, I’m assuming it was borderline taking the urine if he complained about it. Williams got through today too

Yeah haven’t seen the match myself, I’m assuming it was borderline taking the urine if he complained about it. Williams got through today too

Yes, hard to know without watching it.

Saw a bit of the Williams match, Lisowski will be kicking himself. At 3-1, Williams gets a massive fluke, but in the next, just clearing up the colours to go 4-2 up, Lisowski takes on the simple pink right handed and misses. Talented player, should win a title or two, but that kind of sums up whats lacking in him for me.

Think Williams won his five on the bounce did he?

• Advertisement

Think Williams won his five on the bounce did he?

Yep, 0-3 to 5-3. Lisowski head went kapow.

MJWs golden 40s continues as gets to another big final, up against David Gilbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

And another comeback from 9-5 to win 10-9 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The Shanghai Masters starts next Monday on Quest HD. I enjoyed watching Ronnie win it last year, defeating Trump in the final. After over 10 years as a ranking tournament, it's switching to a new format, as a non-ranking 24-man invitational event. Winner's prize is £200,000.

Ronnie O'Sullivan (defending champion) v Neil Robertson/Chinese Wildcard 1
    Shaun Murphy v Stuart Bingham/Chinese Wildcard 3
    Judd Trump v Kyren Wilson/Liang Wenbo
    John Higgins v Ryan Day/Chinese Wildcard 2
    Mark Selby v Luca Brecel/Zhou Yuelong
    Ding Junhui v Mark Allen/Xiao Guodong
    Barry Hawkins v Stephen Maguire/Chinese Wildcard 4
    Mark Williams v Anthony McGill/Yan Bingtao

Players on the left above got a bye into Round 2. All rounds until the semis are best of 11, semis are best of 19, and the final is a best of 21.

Watching the Chinese events I’m often struck by the small arenas and lack of atmosphere. This one is no exception. The sport is obviously popular there but for whatever reason this does not seem to percolate into the tournaments themselves. From what I can see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Big win for Ding against Selby this afternoon. 6:5.
    Semi final lineup is good with wilson v O'Sullivan tomorrow and Ding v Hawkins on Saturday

Ronnie looks in good form. He'll surely get the 1000 centuries this season. If he keeps last season's pace he would go it at the World Grand Prix in February but hopefully he'll get ahead of that and do it at the Masters final!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

A final frame decider on now for Ding and Hawkins now to decide who O'Sullivan tomorrow.

Absolutely majestic. That last red was outrageous

Not a bad final today. Though Ronnie won it in 2nd gear. Poor old Hawkins just can't seem to get over the final hurdle against the top guys. It's almost like he's too nice. I don't think you'd see any of the really top guys smiling after giving away 26 points in fouls.

• Advertisement

Higgins & Selby play the last session of their China Open final this afternoon on Eurosport. Higgins 5-4 up, best of 19.

Dissapointing tournament for me. Higgins en route to the title with a tournament high break of 85. Doubt there are too many modern examples of a player winning a ranking title without having a century break along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

List of tournament broadcasters if you want to see which tournaments are on free-to-air TV: http://www.worldsnooker.com/tournaments-broadcasters-2018-19/

Was focused on golf yesterday but kept one eye on the snooker. Didn’t look like great quality but was very tense and quite enjoyable. Selby missed a couple of crucial pots early on and would have been kicking himself had he not got it done I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Jimmy Robertson won his first ever ranking title on Sunday, defeating Joe Perry in the European Masters final, winning £75,000 and 75,000 ranking points. Next up is the English Open, starting next Monday on Eurosport and Quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I’m in Barnsley and there were 2 young Chinese lads with snooker cues at breakfast all dressed up to play.

Is there an event in Barnsley this week? A qualifier or something? I checked the world snooker website but it’s so useless I wonder if they’re trying to discourage people from firing out what’s on.

Cheers

I’m in Barnsley and there were 2 young Chinese lads with snooker cues at breakfast all dressed up to play.

Is there an event in Barnsley this week? A qualifier or something? I checked the world snooker website but it’s so useless I wonder if they’re trying to discourage people from firing out what’s on.

Cheers

Yes qualifying round for international championship in China later this month. It’s probably there somewhere on WS website but it is a very poor site alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes qualifying round for international championship in China later this month. It’s probably there somewhere on WS website but it is a very poor site alright.

I wonder if the matches are on in Barnsley.

Are those kind of qualifiers open to the public? I’m in Barnsley for the rest of the week and it won’t It would be a great way to spend an evening or 2.

I wonder if the matches are on in Barnsley.

Are those kind of qualifiers open to the public? I’m in Barnsley for the rest of the week and it won’t It would be a great way to spend an evening or 2.

Sure would. They’re not just open to public but there’s not usually a cover charge for qualifyiers or just a token couple of quid at most and you can pick your table. It’s the Barnsley metrodome so should be easy to find I’d say.

• Advertisement

Don’t know how to post link using phone but if you go to main menu on WS site, click on sessions it’ll show all weeks matches and times. Fergal playing Jimmy in 45 minutes and is on the live video so will be worth a watch.

Advertisement