Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Tournaments Discussion 2018/19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Trump had a big ranking event win yesterday, but the Welsh Open starts today, and he's playing again tonight at 7pm. His opponent is 23 year old, Harvey Chandler, ranked #111.

It's best-of-7s until the quarter-finals, and top prize is £70,000. John Higgins is the defending champion, playing Graeme Dott in the opening round. Last year's runner-up, Barry Hawkins, plays Sunny Akani.

Bookie's favourite, Ronnie O'Sullivan plays Sanderson Lam, tomorrow at 1pm.

Most of the lower ranked players won't have played a tournament since the last Home Nation event, having two months off the tour.

Coverage starts today on BBC Wales, EuroSport and Quest, final is next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

4-1 for Ken Doherty against Sean O Sullivan guaranteeing himself at least a few quid to help keep his chase for a tour card on track. Looking very good for him at this stage of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Dominic Dale seems like a nice guy but that hair for a man of his age is simply outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is this televised, BBC Wales I presume?

MJW currently 1-2 to a welsh rookie. It’s on eurosport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It's on the red button currently and Quest also. Eurosport have the evening sessions live as usual, Quest will have the semis and final at the weekend

A lot of errors in this fifth frame.

It’s on my eurosport right now anyway, 423 on virgin media. Might get a decider here way it’s looking.

I prefer to watch it on BBC Wales. Quest had Mark Davis as one of the commentators...BBC Wales had Willie Thorne, who I like listening to. Plus the camera angle facing the table on BBC is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dominic Dale seems like a nice guy but that hair for a man of his age is simply outrageous.
    It is a bit off. He’s retiring this year so I’ll give him a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

4-1 for Ken Doherty against Sean O Sullivan guaranteeing himself at least a few quid to help keep his chase for a tour card on track. Looking very good for him at this stage of the season.

What does Ken need to achieve to get a tour card for next year?

Glenman wrote: »
    What does Ken need to achieve to get a tour card for next year?

There are two chances. Finish inside top 64 on the main rankings (based on 2 year results). He’s currently 64 so on the threshold.

Second way, if that fails, is finish top 8 on the one year list excluding those already qualified. Hard to predict but generally a total between 30-40k should be enough to guarantee it and Ken is currently on 19k so another couple of decent showings would push him to the brink. Playing well enough to manage it I think.

Big controversy in that Williams/Hirani match. Referee didn't call a foul when Mark hit the pink instead of a red. Even the commentators on both BBC and Quest seemed very perplexed. Watch for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khAgzINYxqg&t=8514s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khAgzINYxqg&t=8588s

Referee obviously missed it or would have called it. Williams didn’t call it either but ronnie got benefit of doubt over a similar incident last year so should mark get the same here?

Didn’t make any material difference to the match at least. Watching that live I couldn’t understand why hirani didn’t play the plant which Williams then played after. It was almost nailed on.

I prefer to watch it on BBC Wales. Quest had Mark Davis as one of the commentators...BBC Wales had Willie Thorne, who I like listening to. Plus the camera angle facing the table on BBC is much better.

Yeah I always prefer BBC coverage because of the camera angle.

Shaky start for O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie looks like he has no interest.

He has zero interest, probably just wants to spend a handy week on the Eurosport couch without the bother of having to play.

He has zero interest, probably just wants to spend a handy week on the Eurosport couch without the bother of having to play.

Then just bangs in a 100 in 5 minutes because why not. Ha he potted the the last red before the ref had replaced the colour and fouled out of the break!

zuutroy wrote: »
    Then just bangs in a 100 in 5 minutes because why not. Ha he potted the the last red before the ref had replaced the colour and fouled out of the break!

Ha yeah! Only a 95 though cos he fouled pink....on purpose as only ronnie o sullivan can!

I think that foul on the pink should have been referred to VAR.

Haven't seen O'Sullivan this disinterested in years. His discipline has been good lately.

• Advertisement

Ha yeah! Only a 95 though cos he fouled pink....on purpose as only ronnie o sullivan can!

Oh good...I'm all for any behaviour that makes it more likely I'll see number 1000 live in Sheffield.

I’ve never seen that happen before. Tatiana in the scorers box seems to be certain of the rule so I’d assume it’ll stay a 95. Open to correction though.

I think that foul on the pink should have been referred to VAR.

Haven't seen O'Sullivan this disinterested in years. His discipline has been good lately.

Wasn’t great last week either in fairness though not at this level for sure. Question is can this guy take advantage? Not convinced, looks nervous as hell out there.

Kinda hope Ronnie wins to hear what he says on the couch afterwards.

Foulds has a thing about that top right pocket. It’s swallowing anything that comes within half a foot of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

That was some clearance!

Well that was just bizarre...frankly. Some flashes of genius but overall he lacked focus and showed opponent no respect which I don’t much like. Yuan Sijun, in form teenager up next, ronnie doesn’t win playing like that I reckon.

No post match interview? I was looking forward to some carefree, reckless answers just like his snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

showed opponent no respect which I don’t much like.

Yeah he's very disrespectful at times - to players, referees and guys in the studio when being interviewed (which is weird as he then becomes the interviewer at times).

Some of those shots were amazing though, can't believe he got through 4-2 playing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Poor standard by Lee here against Kyren Wilson. Hirani is ranked one below him at 122 but managed a fair shift yesterday.

Advertisement