Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't like scones.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The foodstuff of ponces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's OK, I don't like Brussels Sprouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Scones can be lovely, but it's rare to get a good one. The majority are crap. The best ones are freshly baked and small, whereas most available in shops are going for quantity over quality and are big stale monstrosities. The best scones I've ever had were fresh out of the oven in Causey Farm. The old Science canteen in UCD used to do a good scone around 20 years ago too. They're not something I'd ever buy nowadays as they're inevitably disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Sticks and scones may break my bones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I hate scones too.

They make me tired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

No need for jam or butter on a scone. My wife makes delicious ones with white chocolate chips and raspberries. Fresh out of the oven, these are absolute heaven.
    She's a keeper or she could be trying to kill you. Fatten you to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

American scones are truly sh1t. They give them out in KFC with your fried chicken...serve them with roast dinners etc.

They're called biscuits in the US. They use them to soak up gravy etc...

Ooops, sorry I just scrolled up and saw Overheal has informed you already of your error. :P

Overheal wrote: »
    You mean a fcuking Biscuit? :mad:

That's not a poxy scone. It's a BISCUIT. You can tell the difference from the lack of fruit or sugar and the fact that is essentially just flour water and heaps of butter and some salt. You know, a B I S C U I T. And not one of those fake british 'biscuits' either: you shove focking sausage, bacon, ham, smoked pork, jam if you want, more butter, etc. in between your biscuit halves to make a BISCUIT - but its like a "Sausage and Egg Biscuit" at that point, or a Chik Fil A Biscuit. Would you pour sausage gravy on top of a british biscuit? LIKE FCUK YOU WOULD. You don't slather gravy on a scone either my friend

A scone is denser than a biscuit, uses far less butter, and almost certainly has berries in it and is coated most often in granulated sugar. How do you mess that up with a biscuit? Utter madness. The shame of you.
    What fresh hell is this?

You do not put sugar in scones. That's some kind of strange Britishism.

Flour, butter, buttermilk, fridge milk, and the tiniest bit of salt. Currants are always optional. That is how traditional Irish scones are made. Where are you going with your sugar? I can think of nothing more disgusting that sweet scones. Nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Scones from Avoca are savage. Hape a cream and jam. Yum. My local cafe sometimes does lemon and poppyseed scones. Unreal!!!

• Advertisement

What fresh hell is this?

You do not put sugar in scones. That's some kind of strange Britishism.

Flour, butter, buttermilk, fridge milk, and the tiniest bit of salt. Currants are always optional. That is how traditional Irish scones are made. Where are you going with your sugar? I can think of nothing more disgusting that sweet scones. Nothing.

I think he/she is getting their scones and rock buns mixed up. Clearly not as proficient in the scone area as much as they are with biscuits.

Lesalare wrote: »
    I think he/she is getting their scones and rock buns mixed up. Clearly not as proficient in the scone area as much as they are with biscuits.
    Bet they say "skon" (to rhyme with "on") and all.

Standards are falling around here.

Skon is the British way of saying it isn't it?

Lesalare wrote: »
    Skon is the British way of saying it isn't it?
    It is, Les. Absolute filth tbh.

I keep forgetting I'm a filthy Brit and pronouncing it skone. Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Tell me why, I don't like scone-days...

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    I keep forgetting I'm a filthy Brit and pronouncing it skone. Oh dear.

Skone = Correct
    Skon = Fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭Archeron

Scone in 60 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Scones to me are like a cake. But I have been told it is not a cake. I'm so confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

So when they break out the scones you’re the first to abscond, eh op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I asked the maid in dulcet tone
    To order me a buttered scone;
    The silly girl has been and gone
    And ordered me a buttered scone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I like brown scones but not the normal ones, especially not with raisins. Butter and Jam ideally. Sometimes cheese, but again, only really works well with brown scones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Scones to me are like a cake. But I have been told it is not a cake. I'm so confused.

Their nothing like delicious cake, you may as well just be eating bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I dont like the scone of this thread >:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Some awful fancy feckers in here with their cream and jam. We had butter. And it was Kerrygold, because there is no other butter out there. Fresh from the oven (would never buy a scone), and enough hard cold butter that you can see your teeth marks in it!

Also, scones should be plain. And white. Putting fruit in scones... madness I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There, I’ve said it and you know what? It feels good.

The truth, the real truth that people are trying to keep from you – scones are crap. They’re not sweet enough to be cake, they’re too dense to be bread, there’s a faint but unmissable taste of baking soda at the back and to actually eat one, you need to cover it in jam, cream and all others kinds of crap to mask the fact that you're actually eating a scone.

Stop lying to yourselves people. Scones are shíte.

Only those huge shop ones! Homemade ones won’t taste of baking powder. But I agree that they are not the most exciting baked good. Though, jam and cream crap? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

I suppose if you were having one in Japan at the moment it would be....

Scone With The Wind....

Advertisement