Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg plans for 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just filling these with compost

planning to do salad leaves and will get kales and broccoli in there for the winter

514878.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Using a lot of water trying to keep everything alive at the moment. We need a good fall of rain.

Eating our salad leaves, beetroot leaves at the moment. Peas, runner beans, grown from seed all in flower now. French Beans still stubbornly small. Good growth of swede, turnip and spinach, chard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm no longer sowing as there's no point really, just keep what I have wet for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My veg plans are being re-written in the light of new weather predictions - another heat-wave, and probable drought - forecast for my part of France. :( We're not even into June and my 1000l reserve of rainwater is gone with no immediate prospect of the butts being re-filled.

Be careful what you wish for, they say ... Waterbutts replenished to overflowing this afternoon in 15 minutes flat! :eek:

Unfortunately, a torrential rainstorm was preceded by a shower of hailstones as big as marbles. Not sure my tomatoes, peppers or chilis will have appreciated those. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

We could really do with some rain here. Grass and verges are starting to go brown like in 2018. I have bit too big of an area outside to be watering it all so prioritising the polytunnel and things that are nearly ready like peas and broad beans for now. Not much rain forecast for the next ten days either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Weather getting colder from Wednesday on
    Hopefully some rain too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Seve OB wrote: »
    Lastly is a little patch which came free a few weeks back when we shifted the kids playhouse. I happened to be in B&Q last week and in the queue for the till they were selling off onions, garlic and spuds for a euro each so I picked up a selection. Wrong time of year I know to be growing them, but sure worst thing that can happen is that they don’t grow. Mind you, perhaps you can see that they are indeed starting to grow already.

I didn’t use them all, does anyone know if they keep or do they die off if not used?
    They should keep for the year if stored in a dark airtight container. Those ones you planted will probably be ready next year, they generally take that long to develop.

Be careful what you wish for, they say ... Waterbutts replenished to overflowing this afternoon in 15 minutes flat! :eek:

Unfortunately, a torrential rainstorm was preceded by a shower of hailstones as big as marbles. Not sure my tomatoes, peppers or chilis will have appreciated those. :(

What part of France do you live in?

What part of France do you live in?

Right in the middle, 650km from each corner! :)

These were my hailstones yesterday:

hailstones.jpg

My potatoes seemed to have suffered worse than anything else, but no serious damage done. In fact, the cucurbits of every kind appeared to have all doubled in size overnight!

And the ground - previously turning to concrete - was wonderfully workable this morning, making today's weeding very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The mini greenhouse which I had put aside to tape back into some usefulness just sailed across the garden and landed on the onions. Ye joints have been smashed just hoping that the tomatoes survive the wind now.

• Advertisement

My onions are starting to bolt. Chopping off the tips before they seed. The bed was way too dry! Now watering enthusiastically.

Broccoli turning yellow with black spots on leaves, then leaves dying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I've suffered about a 1 in 9 germination rate for courgettes and squash this year, anyone any tips as to why? I do put the seeds on their edge (like a knife cutting through something) as that helped in years previous, but still very poor. Seeds are some from last year and some bought this season and from two different sources. Room they're germinating (or not germinating in) is pretty constant 22 degrees.

Anyone any ideas what's going wrong, its really annoying as would have been a good year to get them out early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Another day in the garden and another bed done.
    Gigantes beans, Swede, turnip, okra, dwarf beans and salad leaves.

Is this in Ireland and outdoors? Is okra viable, I'd love to grow it? And gigantes

Grass frost promised for tonight.
    Ridiculous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

*legs it outside to apply a fleece to the courgettes*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Spread a, load of wood chips on my, remaining beds yesterday. Any moisture will now be preserved in the soil.

My onions are starting to bolt. Chopping off the tips before they seed. The bed was way too dry! Now watering enthusiastically.

Disaster averted :) But a close thing.

The weather right now is the worst of everything - dull, at times chilly wind, but still dry. Having to try to keep the tomato seedlings warm but outside to avoid becoming leggy so the pots are in a washing up bowl which has a broken pane of glass over it.

Sowed another batch of spicy greens, the last failed to germinate bar one which I abandoned as a lost cause. Going to have to pay daily attention to them in these conditions (the irony is that a bunch of spilt seeds from the previous go did germinate successfully in the cracks of the patio area)

Using a lot of water trying to keep everything alive at the moment. We need a good fall of rain.

Eating our salad leaves, beetroot leaves at the moment. Peas, runner beans, grown from seed all in flower now. French Beans still stubbornly small. Good growth of swede, turnip and spinach, chard.

Are beetroot leaves nice, do you eat them raw or cooked? how many do you remove at a go and how many leaves do you leave? I am following Charles Dowding a lot and trying to follow his way

I just mix my beetroot leaves in among my other salad leaves. I also mix in young spinach leaves. It bulks out the salad leaves.....to be honest it is probably the type of dressing that you put on salad leaves that make them tasty.

• Advertisement

Are beetroot leaves nice, do you eat them raw or cooked? how many do you remove at a go and how many leaves do you leave?

Yes, they're nice, especially when picked young, and can be eaten raw like lettuce or cooked like spinach. Adds a great bit of colour to a bowl of regular green salad leaves.

I don't know if there's a specific recommendation for how many leaves to leave, but you wouldn't want to go mad, at least not too early in the season. You need to be a bit careful when pulling them too - it's easy to yank out the young beets if you're a bit rough. Fortunately, they tolerate transplanting/replanting really well, so it's just a nuisance, not catastrophic.

I just mix my beetroot leaves in among my other salad leaves. I also mix in young spinach leaves. It bulks out the salad leaves.....to be honest it is probably the type of dressing that you put on salad leaves that make them tasty.

Thanks, must try that this evening.

Is it good to thin out the beetroots?

Is it good to thin out the beetroots?

Yes - not just good, but essential. You can thin to a spacing of 5cm initially, then harvest 1-in-2 of those as baby beets in a few week's time.

Seeing as I love (pickled) beetroot, I re-plant the thinnings in a separate bed to triple/quadruple my crop. They can be left in the ground for harvest as required until the following spring, and as I discovered this year, if you're not too quick to lift them then flowering beetroot has a wonderful perfume.

Harvesting a few of the winter set onions I planted in October!
    IMG-20200607-WA0020.jpg

Tomatoes and cucumbers flying in the greenhouse too.

IMG-20200607-WA0017.jpg

Have more tamatos outside with a few other rows.
    Few more weeks till the garlic is ready too.

Harvesting a few of the winter set onions I planted in October!
    IMG-20200607-WA0020.jpg

Tomatoes and cucumbers flying in the greenhouse too.

IMG-20200607-WA0017.jpg

Have more tamatos outside with a few other rows.
    Few more weeks till the garlic is ready too.

how did you grow the garlic?
    I'm jealous of anyone with a decent greenhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

@brownfinger, is this your fist year with the finished greenhouse? How's it going? Would you do anything differently? I remember following a thread a while ago where you gave details about it and I was very jealous :)

scarepanda wrote: »
    @brownfinger, is this your fist year with the finished greenhouse? How's it going? Would you do anything differently? I remember following a thread a while ago where you gave details about it and I was very jealous :)

Yea first year.
    I wish we had of gotten a bigger one :D, Its 2.5m x 4.5m.
    Its still not kitted out with beds on the right etc
    Going to let it evolve a bit instead of jumping in.
    You can see the grape on the back wall there coming from outside.
    Might live to regret growing that in there but time will tell!

Dont think I would have done it differently.It has power but no running water yet.

As for the Garlic,I just broke up a load of cloves from aldi and lashed them in a bed late last year.Just cut the flower heads off them on saturday (thanks Monty!)

Ah! I was wondering what that was!

Yikes! What size do you wish you'd gone for? I've saved the link to the greenhouse you gave in the other thread! We bought a house a few months ago, and while it does have a greenhouse, its small, I think 7ftx7ft, I want a bigger one. I really like the dwarf wall style, so I'm very envious of yours! I'll be going at the veg garden in the autumn and I'm planning on leaving room for a new greenhouse up beside the existing one.

We've sown garlic from Aldi/Lidl and a garden centre at the same time a couple of years ago and the grocery store cloves did way better than the garden centre garlic.

A meter or wider would have been nice but couldn't find a dwarf wall with a black frame within budget,talking 1000s more.
    Black frame was essenal.
    Its a room to be enjoyed rather than a pure production greenhouse so we have a little table and 2 seats taking up valuable floor space.
    I'll take a few more pics later.

• Advertisement

Interesting! I'd be going for either black or silver. I love the look of the black frame, but the existing one is the standard silver/galvanise frame and I'll be keeping that one. But it's a couple of years down the road before I'll be in a position to build it so plenty of time to figure out what I need/want. I'll be concentrating on the actual veg garden first, I'm not completely stuck regarding a greenhouse because I have the small one.
    I'd love to see photos!

Advertisement