Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg plans for 2020

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Every year we get some unplanned tomatoes growing among our raised beds.

We picked some yesterday that had grown and turned red outdoors.......just before the weather is about to turn.

A nice surprise gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I got 3 x 16m beds dug over today and weeds cleared.
    Will throw on manure during the week and cover wity plastic.
    Considering last year it was just covered in weeds we've come on.
    Found an elderberry Bush in the garden as well

Does anyone know where I might get 30 bags of well rotted manure delivered to my home in South Dublin coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

wondering about my strawberries. bought 6 this year and have been growing the runners. up to about 16 now, some of the runners are still quite small and still attached. most are in pots.
    should i stick them in the shed at some stage?
    or should i gather them together and stick a frost sheet over them?
    do they need to be fed or anything over the winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Does anyone know where I might get 30 bags of well rotted manure delivered to my home in South Dublin coast?
    Look at getting a bulk bag (skip bag size). Better value if it suits you.
    Geeup.ie is organic horse manure. (They also deliver small bags if they suit better). Prices on website include delivery.
    Mulch.ie offer a few options, including farmyard manure.
    envirogardenandhome.com offer composted waste.
    Plenty of landscape providers should offer options.

• Advertisement

Looking at the prices, I'm so glad Ive local farmers all to willing to empty their sheds in my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply. The variety on the picture is Red flowered scarlet runner. I do grow there for long time storage as when dry they are good for a couple of years. You do not need to dry whole pods, that can be done only in dry warm climate due to mould. I just harvest pods when they start yellowing and going sort of soggy or soft. Then I pop them open and harvest individual beans. I put them on homemade drying rack which I left on top of furniture or simply somewhere out of the way. Preferably on the sun but since there is not much of it just somewhere where there is air circulation and they dry in a few days. I use homemade drying racks I made from some wood and window netting from B&Q. These can be put on top of the radiator.

Dried beans can be used in stews or soups, the best way is to soak them for few hours or overnight in water before you plan to cook something with them.

Some beans I harvested today. I already got 2 times more and estimate to have about 5-6x more from just 10 plants. There would be more but they got battered pretty bad in last storm.

20200908-114225.jpg

I can send seeds to anyone who will want some (seeds will be free, I only kindly ask you to cover postage and envelope).

Oh they look wonderful! I would love some ...

Probably the last harvest photo of 2020 from me (well us!).
    Harvested the week before Halloween.

IMG-20201018-WA0015.jpg

Been eating a lot of pumpkin pie/soup and even pumpkin ravioli !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My potted lettuces seem to have stalled after initial good growth. They are in medium sized pots and two big ones (little gems are split between both sizes and are all about the same size) and outside getting about 4 hours of direct sun when there is sun. Not sure if its the cold of the last week or so but they have been protected from night frost or if its lack of proper rain, though the compost is quite damp. They are big enough to be very lightly harvested

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Probably a bit late, but you can try https://festinalente.ie/walled-gardens/garden-horse-manure-for-sale-delivery/

It will depend on how close you are to them in Bray, as they had stopped delivery there for a while due to restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Anyone else inflicted by these snails.? I literally have to shake them off every stalk of kale....and the cabbage is infested with them...

p.s ignore the fact that they have started humping!!!

533065.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

My butternut squash are starting to get a white mould around the stem. On some of them the orangy flesh below the stem is starting to go brown and soft as well.

Any ideas what I did wrong? I though these would store much longer. Harvested them at the end of September.

Thanks Frogeye

I saw Monty recommend that a piece of the stem/stalk should be left on the squash to stop the actual vegetable going soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Frogeye wrote: »
    My butternut squash are starting to get a white mould around the stem. On some of them the orangy flesh below the stem is starting to go brown and soft as well.

Any ideas what I did wrong? I though these would store much longer. Harvested them at the end of September.

Thanks Frogeye

Hi Frogeye

All squashes need a period of ripening in a bright, dry and airy location to harden the skin so they will store properly. Also make sure they are not packed close together and have plenty of air circulation

If the ones you have a going off- remove the bad bits and any skin and chop up the flesh - Cut up in chunks cook and then freeze in handy sized portions.

Bought some Egyptian walking onions this evening from incredible vegetables in the UK.

Also got delivery of taunton deane kale cuttings.

Mild day here in Dublin today. I am going to use the opportunity to get out and rake some lovely leaves to add to my compost. I think there may be one more rake left in the leaves after today. Might give the compost heap a bit of a turn as well while I am out there. Pity the grass is so wet, it needs one last cut.

The other half will halve a look at harvesting our sunflower seeds for planting out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Harvested the last of my spring-sown potatoes this week (Desirée) and what a difference a metre (or two) makes! I had five drills, planted in the shade of a large gable wall. From the two drills furthest from the wall, i.e. experiencing the best/worst of the summer weather/drought, I got barely enough to fill the two crates back left and centre, and they were mostly marbles :( ; from the two drills closes to the wall, though, I had more enough to more than fill the three crates at the front, and there's a fair few half-kilo monsters in there too! :)

IMG-20201120-224716-029.jpg

Quite a lot of slug damage at one end of each drill, though not as bad as what's happening over where my winter greens are supposed to be growing. Almost all of my spinach has disappeared after a very satisfying germination rate. :mad: The silver lining on that particular cloud was finding (and not accidentally killing :pac: ) a fat and beautiful fire salamander. I hope he (or she) was wide awake and feasting on the slugs and not trying to hibernate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

My Jeruaslam artichokes are finished for the year. I had a bit of a funny year, where I just to dump a bag of them into the ground to keep them. Nice and tall anyway :)

Got delivery of my walking onions today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Got delivery of my walking onions today

Make sure they don't get away :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Are any of you worried about the brexit situation? If no deal is made, we won't be able to buy imported uk seeds. I've checked the websites but most haven't got any stock on offer and there aren't many Irish seed suppliers. the only one I know opf is Brown envelope seeds in Bantry .

Are any of you worried about the brexit situation? If no deal is made, we won't be able to buy imported uk seeds. I've checked the websites but most haven't got any stock on offer and there aren't many Irish seed suppliers. the only one I know opf is Brown envelope seeds in Bantry .
    Bought seeds last month from premier seeds direct and tamar organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Bought seeds last month from premier seeds direct and tamar organic.

Thanks for premier seeds direct. I've just put my order in. Lovely variety and choice. I can look forward to spring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Somewhat "after the fact" when talking about plans, but yesterday I picked the last of my 2020 jalapeño chilis and pulled the last of my carrots (a late sowing). A bit of a topsy-turvy end to the year, as I was really not expecting to be picking outdoor-grown chilis on Christmas Day ... but I left the carrots in the ground too long and they were devasted by slugs :mad: so I have four (4!) small ones left to get me through the winter.

As a small compensation, where the slugs had also massacred my feuille de chêne lettuce a few weeks ago, a new control technique (for me) seems to have persuaded them to look elsewhere for their leafy greens. First, I waved my Lidl flamethrower over a 20cm perimeter around the line of plants, did a bit of gentle hoe-ing, then flamed it again. After that, took three trays of ash from my woodburning stove and heaped it (emphasis on the heap) on all four sides of the bed, not being too careful to avoid getting ash on what was left of the lettuce either. A couple of weeks' worth of rain has washed the ash off the leaves, but the heaps are still in place and the plants are doing really well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

We have a new lawn with one very sunny corner since recently. It's ours to do with what we wish and I was thinking of putting in beds in the sunny section there, with a view to constructing a permanent glass house.

I'm a bit overwhelmed and don't really know where to begin with the lawn or planting in general right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Chiili's already planted indoors.

On the cards:

-potatoes
    -onions

If I get my hydroponics set up going - lettuce.

I had a go at chillies last year, I grew from seed in the window and most were what you would call "leggy" I suppose.

None survived planting out, all frost was gone, and the days were sunny, but I guess the wind was too much.

I bought some seed and saved some from an Aldi extra hot range.

Have you any suggestions as to how to improve my chances?

I have grow lights Ebay LED types from around 5 to 90W. They are not really that effective though.

Regards

SK

Advertisement