Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Pal

Options
  • 08-01-2017 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience with Oil Pal? Its a small unit you attach to your oil tank along with a unit that you link with your router that shows how much oil is left in the tank,oil usage, notifications when oil level is low etc.

OilPal.com is the website. Irish company.

I'm looking to gets unit but want to see if any one has first hand experience.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Interesting.

I purchased 'Olive Oil' a few months ago for monitoring a remote oil tank. Working well although the UK oil pricing is annoying. At the time the only Apollo related product required a SIM card and didn't update very frequently.

I see that Oil Pal can utilise existing Apollo sensors and connect to a router.

£77 without sensor, £99 with a sensor isn't a bad price either although I can't understand why a company based in Dundalk is pricing in GBP??

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Anyone have any experience with Oil Pal? Its a small unit you attach to your oil tank along with a unit that you link with your router that shows how much oil is left in the tank,oil usage, notifications when oil level is low etc.

OilPal.com is the website. Irish company.

I'm looking to gets unit but want to see if any one has first hand experience.

Has anyone purchased this yet by any chance? Seems interesting but have read some v poor reviews on the standard Apollo oil monitoring kit so a bit wary about this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I have a standard Apollo Smart oil monitor. Works perfectly. What are the reported issues with the other Apollos?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

It doesn't mention anywhere on the site or app if it provides notifications for sudden oil level drops? E.g. Leak or theft.
    IFTTT compatibility would be fantastic with this.

Roen wrote: »
    I have a standard Apollo Smart oil monitor. Works perfectly. What are the reported issues with the other Apollos?

Just from the many Amazon reviews of standard Apollo sensor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0087FDCZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nHUrzbPKHHFHZ

Glad to hear you don't have any issues. Might be worth a punt as the manufacturer (Dunraven) are based pretty close to me so should have an easy return option.

• Advertisement

garion wrote: »
    Just from the many Amazon reviews of standard Apollo sensor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0087FDCZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nHUrzbPKHHFHZ

Glad to hear you don't have any issues. Might be worth a punt as the manufacturer (Dunraven) are based pretty close to me so should have an easy return option.

Ouch, hadn't actually seen that before I bought as I just assumed they'd be Ireland only and not sold via Amazon. I'd normally check everything thoroughly before buying too!
    Mine's in since the start of Feb anyways, accurate and reconnects any time there's a power cut on the main unit in the house. Is about 35m from the tank to the base unit through heavy undergrowth and a brick wall.

Roen wrote: »
    Ouch, hadn't actually seen that before I bought as I just assumed they'd be Ireland only and not sold via Amazon. I'd normally check everything thoroughly before buying too!
    Mine's in since the start of Feb anyways, accurate and reconnects any time there's a power cut on the main unit in the house. Is about 35m from the tank to the base unit through heavy undergrowth and a brick wall.

I chatted to them online and they confirmed there's a 1 year warranty (and return within 28 days). They also confirmed that payment has to be made in GBP and only through website. They are based in Dundalk though and apparently they've never had any problems with OilPal specifically - maybe the Apollo sensors on Amazon were an older version?

I asked about IFTTT integration and they said it's something other customers have raised and they're looking into it.

I've taken a punt on it. I'll report back with feedback or issues.

Best of luck, hope you're happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've been thinking of making something like this for a while with a wireless Arudino and a ultrasonic sensor

One thing that is holding me back is I'm not sure how to secure it to the inside of the tank. I thought mechanically fixing it to the lid would be the best bet but I don't seem to be able to find replacement lids for oil tanks easily (and I thought want to wreck the one I have!)

Any suggestions on how best to attach it? I kind of assume any type of glue would be a bad idea due to the oil fumes probably breaking them down over time. I have a 3d printer so am very open for suggestions! I dont think printing a new lid would work though (my printer isnt great)

Quick update on OilPal....

So far so good. I installed in on Wednesday evening (5 min job as my tank was pre-drilled) with it taking 24 hours for the first reading to come through.

On setup you need to provide the dimensions & capacity of your tank, along with make & model if you know it. When my first reading came through it seemed a little high - approx 50% left when I felt there was only about 30% left in the tank. I contacted OilPal via their online chat to query and they were able to see that the dimensions I had entered were the outer dimensions of the tank rather than the inner dimensions - they were familiar with the tank model I had. Once they updated the dimensions I logged back into the android app and it showed ~35% which seems bang on.

Pretty impressed with the after sales support so far - hopefully it'll continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Witness, Sugru should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Also thinking of getting one of these, has anybody any more recent experience of OilPal other than what is in this thread?

Would people recommend it ahead of similar systems such as Apollo smart?

JimFin wrote: »
    Also thinking of getting one of these, has anybody any more recent experience of OilPal other than what is in this thread?

Would people recommend it ahead of similar systems such as Apollo smart?

I've had mine for 6 months or so and been happy with it so far. Got one for my folks too. Despite some setup issues it's up & running now aswell and seems to be working well.

I seen recently that Dunraven Systems who created the OilPal have signed a €1m deal (https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/fuel-tanks-iot-vt-dunraven) to take the product to the next stage - automatic ordering of oil etc. so it's clear there is future investment planned.

Here's a view of my history over the last 6 months, interesting to see.

Overall I'm happy with it, it does what it's supposed to do & aside from some setup issues with the one I got for my folks (which was mostly my own fault) I haven't had any major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

ordered mine there, have to drill a hole in the tank so? Any online instructions. Wouldn't mind getting some done over the weekend before it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    ordered mine there, have to drill a hole in the tank so? Any online instructions. Wouldn't mind getting some done over the weekend before it arrives.

You will need a 32mm hole saw.
    Attached are instructions. I've just drilled mine.

Make sure it's in middle of tank and the sensor is as level as you can get it.

I didn't find the instructions great myself for pairing the sensor and modem.
    Mine actually isn't working. I don't know has it not paired correctly or is the the concrete wall blocking the range.
    The Android app is also crap for me. One of worse apps I have used , screens don't toggle correctly. I have downloaded a link and added a shortcut to web link on my phone and got rid of app.

Useless at moment though as it's not reporting anything.

I've had mine for 6 months or so and been happy with it so far. Got one for my folks too. Despite some setup issues it's up & running now aswell and seems to be working well.

I seen recently that Dunraven Systems who created the OilPal have signed a €1m deal (https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/fuel-tanks-iot-vt-dunraven) to take the product to the next stage - automatic ordering of oil etc. so it's clear there is future investment planned.

Here's a view of my history over the last 6 months, interesting to see.

Overall I'm happy with it, it does what it's supposed to do & aside from some setup issues with the one I got for my folks (which was mostly my own fault) I haven't had any major problems.

Was wondering what lights do u're oilpal modem display normally , and does the last contact date shown on the app represent the current date.

My oil readings are way off - it's showing 75% full yet tank is nearly bone dry. The app is showing a last contact date of yesterday and the re is one solid orange lights on modem.
    How do you even know if it's communicating to the Apollo sensor ?

john_doe. wrote: »
    Was wondering what lights do u're oilpal modem display normally , and does the last contact date shown on the app represent the current date.

My oil readings are way off - it's showing 75% full yet tank is nearly bone dry. The app is showing a last contact date of yesterday and the re is one solid orange lights on modem.
    How do you even know if it's communicating to the Apollo sensor ?

Just update on my oil pal:

Was measuring 790L yesterday even though tank was empty. Right now it's reporting 820L . (Tank still empty)

The Apollo sensor is saying the tank is empty which I go to the tank itslef to check.
    No idea how this thing is calculating it's measurements from.
    I would have thought, if the Apollo sensor is saying empty, the oilpal would be the same.
    Also the fact it picked up 30L extra today I don't know. Contacted support Friday and today but heard nothing back. The Android app just keeps locking up the screens so using a web browser now to check.

Just to provide a counter view. My two units are working away fine. Filled one tank a few weeks ago and got a "fill alert" the next day. Can see a gradual reduction in levels that would match what I'd expect.

Hopefully your issue can be resolved easily enough once you get speaking to someone from OilPal. I had some interaction with support previously and found them decent. That was over a year ago though.

Just to provide a counter view. My two units are working away fine. Filled one tank a few weeks ago and got a "fill alert" the next day. Can see a gradual reduction in levels that would match what I'd expect.

Hopefully your issue can be resolved easily enough once you get speaking to someone from OilPal. I had some interaction with support previously and found them decent. That was over a year ago though.

Yes. Looked like the issue was my meaurement settings on the tank . Looks to be resolved now. support were helpful.

Things I would change are:
    It seems it only takes a reading once a day and there is no way to pull a manual reading yourself - I think there should be a button on app to request current reading on demand.

You should be able to offset the tank setup yourself. I. E change the tank settings after setup of correct the readings.

The app on Android seems ropey.

Be nice if it was opened up , it's a bit of a black box. Having it work without internet connection would be nice - have no idea is this a security hole on my network now.

It's a useful device and has some good features , can it be integrated into Home Assistant or anything else ? Be nice to have it on a home automation dashboard.

Great, glad you got sorted. I agree on the Android app and I'd love an integration API. I asked them about IFTTT support previously and they said they noted it and will see if it can be included in the future. Again, that was over a year ago and no update since so I doubt it's a priority.

• Advertisement

Great, glad you got sorted. I agree on the Android app and I'd love an integration API. I asked them about IFTTT support previously and they said they noted it and will see if it can be included in the future. Again, that was over a year ago and no update since so I doubt it's a priority.

Connected mine up and works grand, was hoping for more readings during the day all right but for the little amount of oil I'm using for HW I don't think the sensor would pick it up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

purchased the oil pal recently

When your looking at the specs of the tank are the sizes on websites normally the external size or internal?

I read some people had issues when inputting external sizes?

limnam wrote: »
    purchased the oil pal recently

When your looking at the specs of the tank are the sizes on websites normally the external size or internal?

I read some people had issues when inputting external sizes?

Ya mine were way off, I put external.
    They should be Internal I think , but the support team went in and set mine correctly.

What I find is my readings don't dip much, even with heating on for the evening yesterday and last week , there was no change in level, been reading the same now for last two weeks with oil being used , I guess because it detects large changes not minor ones

john_doe. wrote: »
    Ya mine were way off, I put external.
    They should be Internal I think , but the support team went in and set mine correctly.

What I find is my readings don't dip much, even with heating on for the evening yesterday and last week , there was no change in level, been reading the same now for last two weeks with oil being used , I guess because it detects large changes not minor ones

Same as myself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aibsh02ugtwmna1/Screenshot%202018-10-30%2015.33.00.png?dl=0

lads

are they paired already or do you have to pair it?

The only pairing instructions seem to be if you had an existing apollo

Looks like my pre drilled hole is about 42 mm instead of 32mm :confused::confused::confused:

besides drilling another hole do i have any options?

looks like they have an adaptor for different sizes.

limnam wrote: »
    lads

are they paired already or do you have to pair it?

The only pairing instructions seem to be if you had an existing apollo

Mine wasn't

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Mine wasn't

I paired mine also , you just hold the black dots together and make sure the LEDs goes the right color.
    I thought the black dots needed to be pressed together- that was just my stupidity though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I use an Olive.

http://www.myolive.co.uk/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DIA7KBK

Sounds very similar. Not in stock on Amazon at the moment.

I have mine almost two years and it works well.

UPDATE.

https://www.myolive.co.uk/buysmart/register

Advertisement