Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cif or Jif

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's an American brand of peanut butter called Jif. I wonder if that had anything to do with the name change.

https://www.ocado.com/productImages/529/52932011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=6d0dfa5fb8f731ac6236b055dbdf4486
    It's not Jif.

It's

200224082523-20200221-jif-gif-exlarge-169-1.jpg

Guy Person wrote: »
    Barry Scott never laughs, shouting is his only means of communication.... he's probably angry because he has cif-ilis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

anewme wrote: »
    Or Fas. Or AnCo.
    What's AnCo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The history of it actually involves Ireland.

Cif is a French product made by a company that Unilever merged into itself (they’re the Borg of washing powder). It was always called Cif from day one.

Anyway, it launched in the UK as Vim originally but Unilever Ireland called it Jif, as it was deemed more like a word and someone else owned Vim here at the time.

There was an issue with Jif squeezy lemon in the UK, which is a much older product than Jif/Cif.

Anyway, Unilever also bought that and ever since Jif cleanser became Cif in the UK and Ireland.

It’s still called Jif in Scandinavia, Australia and it’s called Viss in Germany and for some reason Handy Andy in South Africa.

Loads of these products exist though in Unilever and P&G.

For example Omo is Unilever’s top end laundry brand but in Ireland and Britain they own the Persil brand (which is Henkel owned almost everywhere else) and call it that, in France it’s known as Skip and so on. The logo is identical and marketing campaigns are shared.

Same goes for products like Fairy liquid (P&G) which is known as Dawn in the US, Dreft in France and has several other names.

The best of the lot is probably “Heart Brand” which is the Unilever international ice cream brand. There are umpteen names for this including HB, Walls, Miko ans so on but it’s identical heart brand packaging and products in every market.

Post Brexit I would suspect Ireland will see a lot more continental supply chain items so, you might be seeing Skip or Omo replacing Persil branding and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What's AnCo?

Before Fas there was AnCo.

An Chomhairle Oiliúna, in English “the training council”, was commonly referred to as AnCO.

Really showing my age now!

• Advertisement

An elderly relative of mine refers to Eir Mobile as “P&T Mobile” and she gets her “piped television” from RTE relays apparently and refuses to listen to any of the new fangled names Liberty Global has stuck on the cable company. She seems to find Virgin Media a bit of an over dose of Richard Branson, so “the piped telly” it is!

She also still refers to Tesco as H. Williams! Skipping over even Quinsworth.

She also was asking what the hell they renamed Marathon as something that just reminds her of knickers. She had to give up eating them as apparently it just put her off lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I leave the details of the cleaning to the womenfolk.

Your mam wouldn't like being called womenfolk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Oil of Ulay forever.

It was very posh back in the day.

I was convinced it used to be Olay and changed to Ulay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

I still buy good old powder Vim, can't beat it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Olay or Ulay?
    Snickers or Marathon?
    Opal Fruits or Starburst?
    Datsun or Nissan?

Jif
    Snickers
    Opal fruits
    Nissan

Do I win?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Candie wrote: »
    Names always mean something else somewhere else. Behold, Pee Cola.

pee-cola.jpg

Not to mention the unfortunate Fart Bar.

fartbar.jpg
    Where can I get a Fart bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I believe the reason the name was changed from Jif to Cif is because some ppl were putting Jif cream cleaner on their pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

AllForIt wrote: »
    I believe the reason the name was changed from Jif to Cif is because some ppl were putting Jif cream cleaner on their pancakes.

You were one ,admit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Given that Corona beer has taken a nosedive because of the Corinavurus, nothing about people should surprise you.

Given the last few years of politics in certain countries, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Unilever actually own both Cif (Jif) cleaner and Jif squeezy lemons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Given that Corona beer has taken a nosedive because of the Corinavurus, nothing about people should surprise you.

Some people really are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some people ladies really are morons.
    Corona is a girls beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I remember Vim and Ajax being out around the same time, the powder in the cardboard tubes. Always thought they had merged to become Cif.

And now I just realised when I googled that this chaps name is spelled with a K -

Kif_Kroker_8217.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Xertz wrote: »
    Given the last few years of politics in certain countries, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Unilever actually own both Cif (Jif) cleaner and Jif squeezy lemons.

Let’s hope you don’t get the h m mixed up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Jif is the lemon juice for pancakes too. Is that why they changed to cif?

Anyone remember Dove ice cream ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Aldi or LIDL had one called Cillit Bang that I misread initially as Clit Bang and chortled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Cif, the name Mrs Philis called her first son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonny!

Jif

Jif is so much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Gael23 wrote: »
    Will it always be Jif or have we got used to the name change

Wait cif is the detergent right, and jif is the stuff you put on pancakes?

Technically yes. But both were once Jif

I hope you didn’t mix them up

Advertisement