Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

jaginsligo wrote: »
    Which one is the better buy (I'm not buying either btw)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/same-trident-130/27711084

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-2725/27717540

Same looks good value for the hp but no idea of reliability

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread meant for the "classic tractor" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Nice tidy looking Case IH 885 for the hours it has done. Loader on it. However she has gone around the clock with 10260 hours. 9.5k a bit strong for it. 7k probably more realistic considering the hours.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-international-885-with-quicke-3260/27879257

Slava Ukrainii

This says it's a Case CX 80. It an English import. What is unusual is it has the old International back end with the two PTO's. Paint work However s red on backend like the McCormick red that they used not the purple/black Case used on there CX's. the hood over the engine looks like the Case covers. Nice looking tractor only about 5 k hours and has not been painted. However just inside the LHS door is ruined from lads sitting there. Could be an LA tractor from the UK

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-cx80/27464471

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Would there be a hope of getting safe NH TS115 at this stage ? For about €30k you’d pick one up but a lot of them have very high hours.

With about 10k hours on the clock wounding they still be worth a punt ?

• Advertisement

josephsoap wrote: »
    Would there be a hope of getting safe NH TS115 at this stage ? For about €30k you’d pick one up but a lot of them have very high hours.

10k hours is not necessarily high hours on a tractor like that. As you got through the 90' most tractors changed from rated hours to clock hours. That means tractors are putting up hours even ticking over. A lot of those TS's are up on 20 years or over it. That's 500 hours a years. Fellas have a psychological barrier about 10 k hours.

It would be very hard at this stage to buy a tractor like that with sub 7-8k hours. I would prefer to but a well mined tractor with 10 k hours than a badly minded one with 8k hours. However 30 k is huge money for a tractor that age and with a bit of work done.

I know a lad that has an MX110 with nearly 20 k hours on it. It's a bit rough now but has done an inordinate amount of work. It was as never ticking over for long

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

10k hours is not necessarily high hours on a tractor like that. As you got through the 90' most tractors changed from rated hours to clock hours. That means tractors are putting up hours even ticking over. A lot of those TS's are up on 20 years or over it. That's 500 hours a years. Fellas have a psychological barrier about 10 k hours.

It would be very hard at this stage to buy a tractor like that with sub 7-8k hours. I would prefer to but a well mined tractor with 10 k hours than a badly minded one with 8k hours. However 30 k is huge money for a tractor that age and with a bit of work done.

I know a lad that has an MX110 with nearly 20 k hours on it. It's a bit rough now but has done an inordinate amount of work. It was as never ticking over for long

I didn’t know about that change in how the hours are recorded.

It used to be hrs @ 1800rpm or some such, so now it’s just hours of engine run time ??

Our 1974DB 996 came here in about 79/80 as a wreck as it was rolled and loader twisted. Hasn’t had a tacho working since 🙄

_Brian wrote: »
    I didn’t know about that change in how the hours are recorded.

It used to be hrs @ 1800rpm or some such, so now it’s just hours of engine run time ??

Our 1974DB 996 came here in about 79/80 as a wreck as it was rolled and loader twisted. Hasn’t had a tacho working since 🙄

Yes that's the way hours are recorded now. It means that Contractor type machines are probably under recording there actual hours compared to a farmer over recording his hours. It's immaterial not whether a tractor is at 2200 rev's bombing down the road or ticking over between driving stakes with your new stake driver ( that cost 2.5-3k) that drives 20-30 stakes a year an hours running is recorded as an hour on the clock

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭straight

Suckler wrote: »

That fermec looked like ok value. Would be handy around the place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Hours are irrelevant really. What s important is maintenance and driving style.20k hours with the right operator is better than 5 with a poor operator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Is the problem with most s/h nowadays the repair bill that comes with them ,like saying 10k hours is not a lot of hours for engine but what about clutch packs and pto packs .For instance a ts115 sle what hours do the clutch packs give trouble and what is the cost of this repair job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

All depends on what you need it for. Will it be doing contracting work? Do you need a loader?

Get one with a dual power gearbox, less to go wrong. Will be bouncy on the road.

If you have the funds you could get a ts115a with a dual power gearbox, cab is a lot more comfortable. Shuttle is on steering column which can be handy for loader work. But a good one could be close to €40k.

Might be value in this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ts115/27361587?campaign=14

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yes that's the way hours are recorded now. It means that Contractor type machines are probably under recording there actual hours compared to a farmer over recording his hours. It's immaterial not whether a tractor is at 2200 rev's bombing down the road or ticking over between driving stakes with your new stake driver ( that cost 2.5-3k) that drives 20-30 stakes a year an hours running is recorded as an hour on the clock

Yeah we've a yoke here that is about 10 years old and around 10k hours and it was never put under any pressure. Especially over the winter. It would be running for a few hours every day but mainly just ticking over feeding bales

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

That’s mad prices now. I paid 21 k a good few years ago for one now without loader. 2003 reg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

jntsnk wrote: »
    That’s mad prices now. I paid 21 k a good few years ago for one now without loader. 2003 reg

I've a tm 125 here was offered 17 I for it last year I'd say I'd get 25 easy at the way things are at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-ts115/27920265

New Holland ts115
    6 cylinder
    Ruby front loader
    Dual command
    Lovely clean tractor
    Low hours at 6500
    600/65R38 Pirelli
    540/65R28 Pirelli

25k....

Be quick if yer interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

would lads be afraid of clutch pack repairs in the likes of the one above ,how many genuine hours before the packs have to be done and are packs as expensive in the dual power models

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

cute geoge wrote: »
    would lads be afraid of clutch pack repairs in the likes of the one above ,how many genuine hours before the packs have to be done and are packs as expensive in the dual power models

I fairly certain the gear controls pictured in the add are SLE or electro command and not dual command as stated in the add.

Edit: I’m not sure now, always though dual command was H pattern shift with a splitter

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

I fairly certain the gear controls pictured in the add are SLE or electro command and not dual command as stated in the add.

Edit: I’m not sure now, always though dual command was H pattern shift with a splitter

That is an sle, dual command as you said is the H pattern with high low buttons on the gear stick, I have one with 3800 hours probably worth more than when it was bought 13 years ago!

• Advertisement

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/new-holland-ts115/27920265

New Holland ts115
    6 cylinder
    Ruby front loader
    Dual command
    Lovely clean tractor
    Low hours at 6500
    600/65R38 Pirelli
    540/65R28 Pirelli

25k....

Be quick if yer interested!

And with a loader. 5K would do a lot of repairs if you have to do them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭mickey1985

lab man wrote: »
    I've a tm 125 here was offered 17 I for it last year I'd say I'd get 25 easy at the way things are at the moment

What is driving the mad prices now for second hand tractors?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

mickey1985 wrote: »

The price of new tractors is pulling up the secondhand prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

K.G. wrote: »
    Hours are irrelevant really. What s important is maintenance and driving style.20k hours with the right operator is better than 5 with a poor operator

I still can’t understand how farmers pay huge money for tractors and then treat them like they deserve punishment. At this stage surely it is obvious that looking after a machine pays well and isn’t a waste of time like some argue it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

The price of tractors only seems mad now because people didn't realise how cheap they were for so long.

It's funny, people will pay thirty grand for some scrap heap of a new car that's worth feck all after seven or eight years yet seem to think paying thirty grand for a tractor which probably be worth the same money in ten years is mad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

tanko wrote: »
    The price of tractors only seems mad now because people didn't realise how cheap they were for so long.

It's funny, people will pay thirty grand for some scrap heap of a new car that's worth feck all after seven or eight years yet seem to think paying thirty grand for a tractor which probably be worth the same money in ten years is mad.

But the 30 grand new car today can be bought for under 10 grand in 5 years time.

I think part of the reason is ad blue, stock farmers don't need all the bells and whistles that are on new tractors, we prefer a simpler machine, these are usually older.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Suckler

There's a massive difference in what a 10/15/20 year old tractor today can do & comes equipped with etc.

Think of mid 90's to early 2000's what it meant to buy a 20 year old machine, wasn't much power and/or comfort in a lot of cases. Tin worm was a bigger factor as well. I know a lot around my way never saw the inside of a shed if they had a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

blue5000 wrote: »
    But the 30 grand new car today can be bought for under 10 grand in 5 years time.

I think part of the reason is ad blue, stock farmers don't need all the bells and whistles that are on new tractors, we prefer a simpler machine, these are usually older.

Is this true I wonder? Often hear farmers say " why so much new tech on new? Give me a simpler machine " but plenty options for new mechanical machines out there now and most farmer dont buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I have heard people say that loads yet the twenty year old tractors they run have electric shuttle, splitter, lift, pto, 4wd and diff and more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Newer tractors dont seem to have the same power and seem to be thirstier.we have a 28 year old tractor and nothing beats it for coming back up when the revs sink down.the newer one s you just.have.to.keep the revs up cause if they go down they dont come back as easy

Advertisement