Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭eagerv

Boscoirl wrote: »
    May not have been. The salesman was more interested in showing me he could change the colour of the screen.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a quick car. And if I could justify to myself to spend 40k on a new car I would have it on Monday. I think I just set my expectations too high. It’s not the toy I was hoping it to be if you get why I mean. It’s the best looking EV out there

I'd say almost certainly it was in default of comfort mode. Sport mode gives a great kick, particularly at slower speeds.

At €34K or less the 1st is great value but I presume they are all sold out. Probably will be some good value when the series model ordering begins shortly...

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How long does pre-heating take and is it flexible? I had to pop to the shop this morning and it's 5C, can I turn the heating on for 15 minutes while getting ready or is it really only suitable for your work schedule and not last minute heat?

Also my test drive was skewed by a previous driver, but the efficiency was 5.3kWh/100km over 37km, 1hr6m, 34kph avg. Bit of flooring it from myself but also lots of easy cruising. That doesn't seem accurate?

I have pre heated the car a few times now through the App, works great. I don't know how long you can pre heat for, I only put it on for about ten minutes before I set off. Car was nice and warm that quickly.

Used about 1mile/min (My App in miles). Don't know if that is normal or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Here's one with the stickers removed and some subtle styling..

ID3-Huiskes-Kokkeler3.jpg

ID3-Huiskes-Kokkeler.jpg

ID3-Huiskes-Kokkeler2.jpg

https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/eerste-getunede-vw-id-3-van-nl-is-subtiel-en-geslaagd-177424

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭finneys13

I test drove one this week with the GF who is/was interested in an ID3. It was a 1st with optional rear camera, folding mirrors, etc., think worth about €42K. I have been driving a Model 3 SR+ for six months, cost €49K.

Underwhelming really. We both liked the exterior, both disliked the interior, felt plasticity and outdated, more piano black, UI looks very dated, small GPS map like a 2005 TomTom, battery reading not on the primary screen(?). We rathered the interior of the Golf in the showroom. Rear view camera window needs to be closed manually each time? And camera quality not as good as Tesla.

Seats not as comfortable as M3. Acceleration good but no M3. Good turning circle and easy to drive, but was expecting more from a car that is roughly in the same price range as my car, and should be direct competition with.

Carsalesman very good in offering us a test drive when we just walked in on a whim, very surprised by our review!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,827 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

finneys13 wrote: »
    I test drove one this week with the GF who is/was interested in an ID3. It was a 1st with optional rear camera, folding mirrors, etc., think worth about €42K. I have been driving a Model 3 SR+ for six months, cost €49K.

Underwhelming really. We both liked the exterior, both disliked the interior, felt plasticity and outdated, more piano black, UI looks very dated, small GPS map like a 2005 TomTom, battery reading not on the primary screen(?). We rathered the interior of the Golf in the showroom. Rear view camera window needs to be closed manually each time?

Seats not as comfortable as M3. Acceleration good but no M3. Good turning circle and easy to drive, but was expecting more from a car that is roughly in the same price range as my car, and should be direct competition with.

€7k difference is hardly roughly the same price though is it?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    €7k difference is hardly roughly the same price though is it?

No, I agree, but the difference to us felt like a bigger gap than that.

Would rather save a few more months for a bigger deposit for a M3 if I was buying basically.

No, I agree, but the difference to us felt like a bigger gap than that.

Would rather save a few more months for a bigger deposit for a M3 if I was buying basically.

But again you'll be on your way to buy the M3 and you'll think sure if I added another €7k I could buy X.

If you want to spend €42K on a new electric car and that's your budget then no point comparing it to something way over your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Test drove the id3 plus today. Pluses (excuse the pun): Comfortable seats, good driving position. Back seat passengers have loads of leg room and a high seating position. Liked the centre cluster showing the speed. Adequate acceleration and good boot space. Phone charging points and matrix headlights. Obviously great range, CCS 100kw charging etc
    Minuses: 19" rims pick up bumps, spartan cabin(those arm rests) and lots of hard plastic (me coming from a L40 premium), glitchy software and driving aids and a heart attack inducing price - €41k.

Would I change? Probably not. I don't need the range and if I did I couldn't afford this model. I couldn't justify the price although the base model is €34k so more affordable.

I'd say vw are milking it big time with these prices battery prices considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Dealer told me they've received pricing for the non-1st models, be interesting to see the prices and specs. He'll send it onto me as soon as they can, says they want to sell off the 1st models before doing so.

Presumably VW won't let you put reversing camera, IQ lights etc on a basic model. It will be interesting to see what price I end up with on a mid-spec model. Probably not much different than €41k. Would be good to see 0% on them though.
    Irishjg wrote: »
    Champion hypermiling DaveyDave full charge at that constant rate would give you 1000km on a single fill. Not possible obviously but wow could you imagine getting that range from a 35k EV. I’m sure we’ll see it happen at some point in the future.

If only it was that good! I wonder why it gave those figures, I was hoping to see some rough use figures especially as the drive is the most 'urban' I'd be doing and would be worst case scenario. If I get the go ahead to install a charger outside my house I'll see if I can get a longer test drive in the New Year.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Dealer told me they've received pricing for the non-1st models, be interesting to see the prices and specs. He'll send it onto me as soon as they can, says they want to sell off the 1st models before doing so.

Presumably VW won't let you put reversing camera, IQ lights etc on a basic model. It will be interesting to see what price I end up with on a mid-spec model. Probably not much different than €41k. Would be good to see 0% on them though.

If only it was that good! I wonder why it gave those figures, I was hoping to see some rough use figures especially as the drive is the most 'urban' I'd be doing and would be worst case scenario.

Remember that Urban and short hops are often very good in an EV, not like a petrol or diesel which need to warm up the engine before being efficient.

I have a few posts documenting my efficiency to date. But with the cooler weather it is not going to be as good.

• Advertisement

Underwhelming really. We both liked the exterior, both disliked the interior, felt plasticity and outdated, more piano black, UI looks very dated, small GPS map like a 2005 TomTom, battery reading not on the primary screen(?). We rathered the interior of the Golf in the showroom. Rear view camera window needs to be closed manually each time? And camera quality not as good as Tesla.

Carsalesman very good in offering us a test drive when we just walked in on a whim, very surprised by our review!

The UI is due a major update in the next few months, it'll support android auto and we should be able to watch netflix etc when charging just like the tesla. Can't say it's anything like a 15yr old tom tom even as is. It's only going to improve.

Not sure what was going on with the reversing camera in the one you looked at but it's all automatic you don't need to manual close it.

Yes the interior could be better but the price difference easily allows you to get leather fitted as opposed to the vinyl interior the tesla comes with. Still it looks a lot better than the Tesla especially at night with the mood lighting.

The very first thing that strikes you about a Tesla is the awkward and very cheap feeling plastic door handles that feel like they could snap easily.

There's pro's and con's with both but I'd definitely feel safer with VW manufacturing. Dealer network and back up service isn't even comparable between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

The UI is due a major update in the next few months, it'll support android auto and we should be able to watch netflix etc when charging just like the tesla. Can't say it's anything like a 15yr old tom tom even as is. It's only going to improve.

Not sure what was going on with the reversing camera in the one you looked at but it's all automatic you don't need to manual close it.

Yes the interior could be better but the price difference easily allows you to get leather fitted as opposed to the vinyl interior the tesla comes with. Still it looks a lot better than the Tesla especially at night with the mood lighting.

The very first thing that strikes you about a Tesla is the awkward and very cheap feeling plastic door handles that feel like they could snap easily.

There's pro's and con's with both but I'd definitely feel safer with VW manufacturing. Dealer network and back up service isn't even comparable between the two.

Cheers Monkey.. Is there deffo no charing timer in the settings? That will sway what charger i get as need to avail of cheap electric.

Also, has there been any leaks of what the new update for the ID3 software looks like? As someone who works in software, I do worry that the promised update that solves these issues may not live up to expectations...

Cheers Monkey.. Is there deffo no charing timer in the settings? That will sway what charger i get as need to avail of cheap electric.

Also, has there been any leaks of what the new update for the ID3 software looks like? As someone who works in software, I do worry that the promised update that solves these issues may not live up to expectations...

No idea on the charger setting it's not something I've looked into, I'll be charging to 100% at home and just a top up of I'm stuck somewhere. I've just the basic VW dumb charger.

No idea on the software either but netflix etc is expected I read ages ago, yea I'd be a little concerned with the software, very surprised they couldn't have car play and Android auto working out of the box. I wonder what spec the hardware and storage is, ram etc. I've the latest vw one in the gti and it works very well so hopefully it's all good soon.

Did you pick and insurance provider yet, I'm just waiting on my car reg to go shopping around again... should have the car sometime next week, I've already seen and driven my own just waiting for the garage to register it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

It is funny how tesla owners complain about id3 interior where they have most spartan interior possible with steering wheel and tablet only. Lol

kris_2021 wrote: »
    It is funny how tesla owners complain about id3 interior where they have most spartan interior possible with steering wheel and tablet only. Lol

I love the minimalist look of the Tesla. It is personal preferences really

Just passed a Manganese grey in Carlow heading down into the town centre. Lovely colour in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

Did you pick and insurance provider yet, I'm just waiting on my car reg to go shopping around again... should have the car sometime next week, I've already seen and driven my own just waiting for the garage to register it etc.

Not yet - putting off the hassle of ringing around until i get a firm date - was told the car was 'docked' in Cork on friday (yesterday) so possible another 10 days.

Also wonder if the update will be OTA or if you will have to return to vw - Expect OTA but sounds like a massive update in the new year - hopefully they get it right first time!!

I like most EVs, especially the Tesla Model 3, Ioniq, Niro and ID.3.

All cars are a compromise, what suits me may not suit someone else. A hatchback works better for us, having a dog.

But the anonymous internet is totally different to real life. People seem to get a pleasure running down what others have. Just look at the comments on YouTube and often on here as well.

Not yet - putting off the hassle of ringing around until i get a firm date - was told the car was 'docked' in Cork on friday (yesterday) so possible another 10 days.

Also wonder if the update will be OTA or if you will have to return to vw - Expect OTA but sounds like a massive update in the new year - hopefully they get it right first time!!

Mine I believe came into the country on a ship on Saturday two weeks ago. It was in the garage the following Wednesday and I could have collected that Friday. However I left it until the following Monday to collect.

Just to give you an idea of the timescale.

The first big update will be with your dealer, so I have been told. After that hopefully OTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Salesman at Divanes, Castleisland told me it won't be OTA but will have to return to VW for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just had a test drive of the basic 1st, what a car. Lovely to drive, lovely interior. First real time driving an electric car and its just mad how when you get in and turn it on you are left questioning if its really on. Speed pick up was great. It is a lot more spacious inside then I expected!

As expected, 1st basics are pretty much gone and the dealer told us it would be around January but that it wouldn't be the 1st, it would just be the basic model which could have a few things missing but he wasn't surer what that would be, with Plus models available. 7K More is hefty to pay for a reversing camera, tinted windows and chrome really. Gotta decide where to go from here

Just had a test drive of the basic 1st, what a car. Lovely to drive, lovely interior. First real time driving an electric car and its just mad how when you get in and turn it on you are left questioning if its really on. Speed pick up was great. It is a lot more spacious inside then I expected!

As expected, 1st basics are pretty much gone and the dealer told us it would be around January but that it wouldn't be the 1st, it would just be the basic model which could have a few things missing but he wasn't surer what that would be, with Plus models available. 7K More is hefty to pay for a reversing camera, tinted windows and chrome really. Gotta decide where to go from here

Yea, it's a great car, pity I haven't had any long drives in mine yet!
    One thing the Plus has, which is probably the only thing I would like extra on my base model is Matrix lights. They are a very expensive option normally and from any reports I have read work great. However the base LEDs are also good.

Don't listen to VW sales people! :). I am sure when the series model is available you will probably be able to spec it to your requirements for less than the First edition models. Isn't that the case in Germany atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Decided to test our 44kW (2x22kW) esb chargers. So far after 13 min tge car "consumed" 1.2kWh which is 5.53kW. Seems a bit low, shouldn't I pull 11kW with a 3ph 16A cable supplied with the car? I can pull 7.4kW from my tethered wallbox at home SOC is 40% is its of any relevance. Also would be interesting to see how much im going to be charged via the we charge app. Strange charging costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Decided to test our 44kW (2x22kW) esb chargers. So far after 13 min tge car "consumed" 1.2kWh which is 5.53kW. Seems a bit low, shouldn't I pull 11kW with a 3ph 16A cable supplied with the car? SOC is 40% is its of any relevance. Also would be interesting to see how much im going to be charged via the we charge app. Strange charging costs...

Don't think vw gave us correct cables to pull 11kw....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Personally I don't see the point comparing the ID.3 and Model 3. The Model 3 is €49k, that's simply far too much money for a lot of people especially when people are happy to forgo a reversing camera or keyless if it means a 400km EV with decent power for €33k.

Noob! Had reduced charging current on!

Noob! Had reduced charging current on!

I was just about to type whether you had checked that..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Looks like it could be a good buy

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Don't think vw gave us correct cables to pull 11kw....

Are you sure? Haven't checked mine but supposed to pull 11kW on 3 phase or 3.7kW on single phase.

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    Are you sure? Haven't checked mine but supposed to pull 11kW on 3 phase or 3.7kW on single phase.

Should be 11kw on 3ph, but I had reduced charging on in the car

Advertisement