Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

18-11-2019, 12:27   #1
Tickers

How much football does your OH watch?

Back in Ireland 10 months after being away for several years. I'm working in a small accountancy office with about 15 staff and the majority of the conversation that the men have is about football or sport in general. First I thought ok it's summer and the All Ireland is on, then it was the Rugby World Cup but now it's the premiership and these fantasy football leagues. It seems they have nothing to talk about other than football.

Not only do they spend the week talking about football but they watch hours of football at the weekends. I never noticed this before I left Ireland (which was over 7 years ago) but when I was in NZ yes people liked rugby and it was the national sport etc etc but they didn't seem to be so preoccupied with rugby as people are here with football and not only that, they support teams English football teams which they have no affiliation with. It all seems totally bizarre.

For example, there is a woman in the office was telling me about one of her weekends recently where she has two young children, one of them still a baby and the other about 7. She was taking the two kids and her daughters friends out for the day. Her husband was nowhere to be seen because he was watching the match!

Last edited by Tickers; 18-11-2019 at 13:51.
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 12:33   #2
YFlyer

People have their interest.
Thanks from:
18-11-2019, 18:02   #3
afkasurfjunkie

Mine has zero interest in football. Might follow a bit of rugby but never goes to matches. Probably half the reason I married him
18-11-2019, 18:22   #4
meeeeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
Back in Ireland 10 months after being away for several years. I'm working in a small accountancy office with about 15 staff and the majority of the conversation that the men have is about football or sport in general. First I thought ok it's summer and the All Ireland is on, then it was the Rugby World Cup but now it's the premiership and these fantasy football leagues. It seems they have nothing to talk about other than football.

Not only do they spend the week talking about football but they watch hours of football at the weekends. I never noticed this before I left Ireland (which was over 7 years ago) but when I was in NZ yes people liked rugby and it was the national sport etc etc but they didn't seem to be so preoccupied with rugby as people are here with football and not only that, they support teams English football teams which they have no affiliation with. It all seems totally bizarre.

For example, there is a woman in the office was telling me about one of her weekends recently where she has two young children, one of them still a baby and the other about 7. She was taking the two kids and her daughters friends out for the day. Her husband was nowhere to be seen because he was watching the match!
In other words you don't like your coworkers.

Anyway not that much. Premier League is watched (one teams matches) and F1. Maybe an odd rugby match. Brexit coverage would be watched more lately and both Andrew Marr and Sophie Ridge are watched. We don't watch soaps or stuff like Love Island. I have absolutely no issue with sport, I would find it painful if Coronation Street or Big Brother would be on in the background.
(3) thanks from:
18-11-2019, 18:31   #5
Stheno

I'm female and during the rugby world cup my entire weekend was arranged to allow me watch as many matches as possible.

Monday chat was how it went at the weekend with the rugby.

Heineken cup is on now so that's also most of the weekend

Some groups are just like that
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 18:34   #6
Loveinapril

Quote:
Originally Posted by afkasurfjunkie View Post
Mine has zero interest in football. Might follow a bit of rugby but never goes to matches. Probably half the reason I married him
My husband doesn't know anything about sport and wouldn't know one end of a games console from the other. He is the dream!
(2) thanks from:
18-11-2019, 18:36   #7
mfceiling

Male POV here. I watch a fair bit of rugby. Ireland matches are usually non negotiable for me.... I don't like to miss them.
Soccer I can take or leave.

Now.... how much "celebrity" nonsense is consumed? By women? There is a whole industry now of "celebrities" and I use that term incredibly loosely who's every movement is documented, and this seems to be driven by women interested in it.

So I suppose there is a bit of balance on both sides!!

Last edited by mfceiling; 18-11-2019 at 21:57.
18-11-2019, 18:42   #8
meeeeh

I think the OP is a man.
18-11-2019, 18:47   #9
electro~bitch

Sport would be fairly standard workplace smalltalk wouldn't it? Nice and uncontentious and accessible.

My OH follows the premier league and I dunno, other soccer things, not a rugby guy. I've surprised myself by how much I've enjoyed going to the pub for matches the odd time, though I'd be more watching the people watching it than anything else.

We do sometimes have a rather one sided conversation about points on aggregate, relegation, transfer windows etc that's mostly just me listening and nodding but sure look, I have harmless interests that make me happy and that he politely feigns interest in too.
Advertisement
18-11-2019, 19:30   #10
lozenges

None, thank god, as I find it deadeningly boring. He is really into rugby though but I enjoy rugby so it's all good!

We do have a playstation..which I bought after we moved in together and I use almost exclusively (I bought him some games but he doesn't play nearly as much as I do!)
18-11-2019, 19:43   #11
Tickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeh View Post
I think the OP is a man.
Thank you for misgendering me.
18-11-2019, 19:48   #12
meeeeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
Thank you for misgendering me.
Yeah right...
18-11-2019, 19:53   #13
GRACKEA

Oh god I remember an ex of mine used to stare over my head transfixed at TVs in pubs, at any sport, but soccer was his main favourite. And betting on it too on his phone. It really consumed him more than he realised. So boring and a bit toxic when the gambling habits are thrown in the mix.

Now it's a deal breaker for me that I'll never date another guy who's mad about sports. Casual fans fine but any rabid supporters or someone who would prioritise watching match over most other things-- absolutely not.
(2) thanks from:
18-11-2019, 19:54   #14
Tickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozenges View Post
None, thank god, as I find it deadeningly boring. He is really into rugby though but I enjoy rugby so it's all good!

We do have a playstation..which I bought after we moved in together and I use almost exclusively (I bought him some games but he doesn't play nearly as much as I do!)
I love how everyone on here is so pretentious as if rugby is any better than football other than it’s played by allegedly new monied posh people.
18-11-2019, 20:00   #15
Tickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRACKEA View Post
Oh god I remember an ex of mine used to stare over my head at TVs in pubs, at any sport, but soccer was his main favourite. And betting on it too on his phone. It really consumed him more than he realised. So boring and a bit toxic when the gambling habits are thrown in the mix.

Now it's a deal breaker for me that I'll never date another guy who's mad about sports. Casual fans fine but any rabid supporters or someone who would prioritise watching match over most other things-- absolutely not.
I know, prioritising games over other things is a real insight to the type of person you’re dealing with. I understand if it’s a World Cup final and people are meeting up as a social event but this idea of no I can’t go out because Liverpool are playing Huddersfield on Sunday afternoon is something I can’t get my head around. Why would you devote so much time and energy into watching people kick a ball around in Huddersfield on a Sunday afternoon when you’ve never been to either Liverpool or Huddersfield.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed