Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house because of Youth problem

Options
  • 17-11-2019 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

I live in Dublin 24 area, We made a hard decision today that it is in our interest to sell our house for safety and peace reasons.The reason is Youths... Our house is a cornor house and has been the victim of stone throwing, our cars have been damaged in our driveways several times. Have CCTV and security motion activated lights, may aswell have nothing there at all. They don't care, these young lads are all around the place every night of the week, friday and saturday night in particular has become nerve wrecking.. I find myself running to the windows everytime our security lights are triggered to see who is out there. This is no way to live....

All of this has been happening over the past year, maybe a little longer. My partner doesn't want to live in the house anymore and neither do I. It's fine during the day time, after 7pm it's stressing us out. We are contacting an estate agent on Monday morning to get the ball rolling so we can get out of here. It's so sad since the house is all paid for and everything. We don't want to move terribly far because we work pretty close to our house. One thing is for sure, wherever we move to is not going to be anywhere near council estates ! Our house unfortunately is very near a council estate and this is where we believe these little scruffy bastads are spawning from. This could go on for years and years, so we are getting out now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Too right Mondeo. Get the fúck out of there, life is too short to put up with little vermin scrotes. I used to live in a corner house in a council estate too, right beside a laneway so they could run if anyone came out. The house was broken into twice, my car was set on fire, we used to have smashed glass bottles all over the front and back gardens, grafitti, stone throwing etc..
    When they can do that and not get punished but you can't retaliate because you will get punished then it's time to realise the game is rigged against you, move on and try to have a good quality of life elsewhere.
    Best of luck to you Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

If you can sort yourself out nicely then do it, life's too short to be near these f***ing divvies. Wasn't anywhere near your scale but have had experiences of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

In reality there is Zero law and order and zero policing out there, we live in a pretend state that only exists in RTE's pretend news programmes.

You won't find this reported or the kids protesting about it on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You are doing the right thing op.

Even if you have to downsize it's worth it for your health and sanity. Nobody should live in intimidation and fear.

WARNING If you touch one of these little f***ers you are the one who will end up in court and they will get a pay day due to our stupid judges. The "parents" of the scrotes will be well familiar with that trade.

Get out quietly.

Do not tell anyone in the area you are moving (even best friends, fire travels fast in the forest). You will end up more of a victim before you leave than you are now.

I wish you well with your new start. What a bloody awful experience sadly replicated in so many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Yes life is too short. It's always a gamble with a corner house where there's lots of kids around. You're lucky though that your house is paid for. Lots of decent people stuck in nightmare spots that can't just up and leave.
    I know we shouldn't have to put up with it, but that's life in some areas.
    Sh*t buzz but there's a million places where this is not a problem. All the best for the future, and an improvement in your quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Shame that a couple of swipes with a hurl can't be used. I know that you'd probably love to go Highlander on them but it's not worth it. What you lose on convenience, you'll save on sanity.

Best of luck on moving OP!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Move. Save your life and sanity.

Alcoholism, ODs, murder, suicide, diabetes and AIDS will eventually annihilate these quazi-humanoids. You'll be happy somewhere else while Deco and Laro will be six feet under feeding the maggots in a coffin while still wearing the baseball cap their mammy's wanted them to be buried wearing, and will eventually be all that shall remain of their pointless existence upon this planet.

You and your loved ones must live. Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Move. Save your life and sanity.

Alcoholism, ODs, murder, suicide, diabetes and AIDS will eventually annihilate these quazi-humanoids. You'll be happy somewhere else while Deco and Laro will be six feet under feeding the maggots in a coffin while still wearing the baseball cap their mammy's wanted them to be buried wearing, and will eventually be all that shall remain of their pointless existence upon this planet.

You and your loved ones must live. Go.

good morning merry sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

A word of warning. Look before you leap, particularly in Dublin. There is council/social housing being slammed up on any scrap of land that becomes available. If you relocate, make sure you are in an area where this can’t happen. It is happening all around me and unfortunately situations like the one you are in are starting to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

To be honest, running to the window and reacting and chasing them will only encourage them.

Sell up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

A word of warning. Look before you leap, particularly in Dublin. There is council/social housing being slammed up on any scrap of land that becomes available. If you relocate, make sure you are in an area where this can’t happen. It is happening all around me and unfortunately situations like the one you are in are starting to develop.

It's government policy to turn the whole of Dublin into knackerland. This 20% social housing rule inserts scumbags where they would never be before. They act the bollox there where no one will confront them. Their kids intimidate or recruit local kids that normally wouldn't have gotten involved and now this new estate you moved into with aspirations and dreams is just a nightmare dragging you to the bottom.

Happening in other towns and cities up and down the country too but Dublin is particularly bad. That city has fallen off a cliff in the last 10yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, as an ex-Garda all I can do is recommend to get out while you're able. Garda hands are very limited when it comes to youths, because everyone is an angel and couldn't possibly be doing what you're claiming, or they're in 'with the wrong gang' if caught. the punishment will never match the crime, and the courts/judges seem to think that just because they're under 18 they 'don't know better' (me hole). Plus the mandatory Juvenile Diversion program means that they won't even go to court for 'minor' offences (basically, anything but assault, and even then...).

It's good that ye are in a position to be able to move, and as mentioned above try to get something where this will hopefully not happen again if possible. Life is too short to let these scrotes ruin your home life. If I could recommend to get something in the country I would 100%, but I understand this is basically impossible in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What part of Tallaght out of interest?

threeball wrote: »
    This 20% social housing rule inserts scumbags where they would never be before.

Private housing estate built recently in my area. 10% social housing. It's known as "Knackeragua"...they have made a total **** of it (within days, not months) for the people unfortunate enough to buy who now have to tolerate the scumbaggery. Stoning of houses, occasional burnt out cars and theft of businesses by the little angles.

That is just 10%.

What are people to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Private housing estate built recently in my area. 10% social housing. It's known as "Knackeragua"...they have made a total **** of it (within days, not months) for the people unfortunate enough to buy who now have to tolerate the scumbaggery. Stoning of houses, occasional burnt out cars and theft of businesses by the little angles.

That is just 10%.

What are people to do?

We worked on a social housing scheme last year. It was handed over to the council, fine houses, A3 rated and nicely fitted out (I’d love one - especially for free!!). They moved one scumbag in..that very day he ripped out the kitchen, sold it on donedeal and complained to tge council that he never got one! The area itself is now in a jocker. I have zero hope for these places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

This is a sad story from modern Ireland where law and order in many towns villages and estates has broken down but your not allow say that in case you upset some ethnic group .
    Fine Gael in particular are soft on crime as most of their heartlands in South Dublin like donnybrook , dalkey etc don’t have such residents to ruin the law abiding people’s lives .
    Our local town is destroyed with young travellers ruining everyone else’s lives and robbing whatever is not bolted down . A couple who returned from London who retired back to Ireland 3-4 years ago recently sold up and moved back to a London as it was too dangerous in our little town with the travellers and they were afraid to leave their house here , says it all lawless Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sooner or later a situation is going to develop where decent people form their own groups and confront these scumbags themselves. People have given up on the Gardai, because they are under resourced and are unable to deal with feral youths.

Sooner or later Vigilantism will emerge, and that will create a whole new set of problems.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'd rather be dealing with a rat infestation than those scrotes. At least you call someone to come along and kill the rats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Fecken hell. This makes depressing reading.

Sooner or later a situation is going to develop where decent people form their own groups and confront these scumbags themselves. People have given up on the Gardai, because they are under resourced and are unable to deal with feral youths.

Sooner or later Vigilantism will emerge, and that will create a whole new set of problems.

If we had a proper, functioning police force and justice system many of these problems would disappear.

Unfortunately we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Who else do you think would want to live there! Better have the house flattened

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If you’ve to pay nothing for a gaff then you put no value on it. Every one of the ‘homeless’ are now due a house and the number of ‘homeless’ is going up every week. Can’t stop that process now.

A general rule of thumb is never buy a new house in a new estate. Not worth the risk. Screw the first time buyers grant and buy something 2nd hand in a mature and established area.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Similar situation here OP. Corner house in a new private estate(with 30% social housing). Council moved Knackers in next door a few months after we bought. We sold up within a year before it was too late. Devastating but I wasn’t paying mortgage for 35 years while surrounded by a future of Hell.

-Estate agents weren’t very forth coming sharing any information about council house allocations.
    -We figured 10% advertised wouldn’t have a massive affect, turned out this figure was closer to 30%, we had 3 in a row attached to us, 5 in a row behind us. And this pattern was continued throughout the estate.
    -took a risk not taking a prejudice view on social housing but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Back saving for 20% deposit now to buy 2nd hand home - a bit more wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

Similar situation here OP. Corner house in a new private estate(with 30% social housing). Council moved Knackers in next door a few months after we bought. We sold up within a year before it was too late. Devastating but I wasn’t paying mortgage for 35 years while surrounded by a future of Hell.

-Estate agents weren’t very forth coming sharing any information about council house allocations.
    -We figured 10% advertised wouldn’t have a massive affect, turned out this figure was closer to 30%, we had 3 in a row attached to us, 5 in a row behind us. And this pattern was continued throughout the estate.
    -took a risk not taking a prejudice view on social housing but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Back saving for 20% deposit now to buy 2nd hand home - a bit more wiser.

Problem is it doesn't even take as many as you mention for it to get out of control. One or two families are enough. The councils know their history before they move them and yet they somehow think that spreading this epidemic across the city is a great policy.

FFS when Ebola breaks out they actively isolate the carriers and try to contain. Our genius leaders have decided to put as many people in contact with the human version of Ebola as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A general rule of thumb is never buy a new house in a new estate. Not worth the risk. Screw the first time buyers grant and buy something 2nd hand in a mature and established area.

Yes, go for an established area/estate. The demographic of resident will be older, less chance of feral kids being allowed off their leash to cause havoc and misery. Obviously do a bit of research and a couple of ‘drive bys’ say Friday and Saturday nights just to get a feel for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Similar situation here:
    Non-social housing in-fill development adjacent to Social Housing which was used by Fingal Co. Co. to contain the dregs of society.
    I was aware of the reputation but went in with a mistaken naive belief in the innate humanity of your fellow man.
    It isn't just what affects you directly. It is hearing of or actually seeing your various decent neighbours assaulted, fights amongst the Scum themselves, constant vandalism, graffiti and low level anti-social behaviour directed toward anyone and everyone. Everything they do is a statement that they "own" the place.
    I was so wrong. I can't even say I was targeted because they made everyone's lives a misery. Sold up, took my loses, don't regret it one bit as peace of mind is worth so much more than financial loss although some people just can't afford to eat the loss and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We worked on a social housing scheme last year. It was handed over to the council, fine houses, A3 rated and nicely fitted out (I’d love one - especially for free!!). They moved one scumbag in..that very day he ripped out the kitchen, sold it on donedeal and complained to tge council that he never got one! The area itself is now in a jocker. I have zero hope for these places.
    This is what you get when you have rights without responsibilities.

The right to a home but no responsibility for its upkeep.

The right to welfare payments but no responsibility to spend it wisely.

Add to that, total lack of enforcement or consequences and you have this sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

It's happended in one area I know. A scumbag family that was in the area for years broke into the wrong house. One got a hammer to the head and threatened if they don't leave they'd be taken out in boxes. The whole family left the area and they place improved massively.

OP. See if the council will buy it off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

mondeo wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 24 area, We made a hard decision today that it is in our interest to sell our house for safety and peace reasons.The reason is Youths... Our house is a cornor house and has been the victim of stone throwing, our cars have been damaged in our driveways several times. Have CCTV and security motion activated lights, may aswell have nothing there at all. They don't care, these young lads are all around the place every night of the week, friday and saturday night in particular has become nerve wrecking.. I find myself running to the windows everytime our security lights are triggered to see who is out there. This is no way to live....

All of this has been happening over the past year, maybe a little longer. My partner doesn't want to live in the house anymore and neither do I. It's fine during the day time, after 7pm it's stressing us out. We are contacting an estate agent on Monday morning to get the ball rolling so we can get out of here. It's so sad since the house is all paid for and everything. We don't want to move terribly far because we work pretty close to our house. One thing is for sure, wherever we move to is not going to be anywhere near council estates ! Our house unfortunately is very near a council estate and this is where we believe these little scruffy bastads are spawning from. This could go on for years and years, so we are getting out now.

I feel awful for you man, we had a bad run of it for a while last year, out of nowhere a big gang of young teens decided to congregate around our avenue.
    I won't deter you from moving, but you do have options, your local councilor and TD are elected to deal with problems like these, and I know the Gardai seem as useless a chocolate teapot but if they get enough reports they can't sit on their arse, have you spoken to your neighbours about it?
    If you make complaints to the gardai on a regular basis, and inform your local Councillor and TD, they will take action, do you have local safety forum meetings? this is definitely something tha should be brought up there.
    As I said, I won't discourage you from moving, but people shouldn't be forced from their homes because of scummy children, and you might regret it down the line if you think back and didn't exhaust every option before you did.

Advertisement