Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2019, 17:34   #1
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Another 10,000 posts down, so another new thread is demanded!

It does what it says on the tin: a place for you to recommend Netflix films and shows.

While chat is allowed and encouraged, not all discussions suit this thread! Often it's better to head over to the TV forum for in-depth chat about individual shows, or start a new thread in this very film forum if you think there's more to discuss about any given movie.

This is for Netflix recommendations only - if you'd like to recommend films from other streaming services, this thread will sort you out.

For the record, here's thread 2.0.

Recommend away
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 18:37   #2
El Duda

"What the hell is Netflix?"
(5) thanks from:
19-09-2019, 19:00   #3
Captain Red Beard

Wah gwan blud.

Enjoying Top Boy.
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2019, 19:02   #4
NIMAN

Just finished Yellowstone and wondering what to watch next.

From previous thread, think I'll give Top Boy and Unbelievable a run out.
19-09-2019, 19:05   #5
Agent Coulson

Highly recommend Unbelievable!
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 20:25   #6
SlipperyPeople

Any decent film recommendations ? mulling between The fury of a patient man or I am Mother
20-09-2019, 10:35   #7
Basq

Send a message via Skype™ to Basq
Between Two Ferns was disappointing!
20-09-2019, 11:17   #8
The White Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Coulson View Post
Highly recommend Unbelievable!
Really impressed with it. Everytime I expected something to go down the route of predictability it went another way.

Merritt Wever was brilliant, didn't cop she was the doctor from The Walking Dead until near the end. She absolutely immersed herself in the role. It really felt like I was watching a detective trained to the hilt in how she dealt with victims.

Last edited by The White Wolf; 20-09-2019 at 11:22.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 12:31   #9
peteeeed

Disenchantment: Season 1, Part 2
Matt Groening’s adult animated comedy fantasy is set in the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, where we follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young Princess Bean, her feisty elf companion, Elfo, and her personal demon, Luci. Along the way, th

Inside Bill’s Brain: Decoding Bill Gates
This three-part documentary offers an unprecedented peek inside the mind of the celebrated tech visionary, business leader, and philanthropist

Between Two Ferns: The Movie
Zach Galifianakis hits the road to do celebrity interviews to restore his reputation in this feature-length spin-off from his surreal talk show.

Criminal: Season 1
Netflix’s groundbreaking procedural crime drama comprises 12 stories set in 4 different countries: France, Spain, Germany and the UK. It takes place exclusively within the confines of a police interview suite. This stripped down, cat-and-mouse drama focuses on the intense mental conflict between detectives and suspects.

In the UK, the regular cast includes Katherine Kelly, Lee Ingleby, Nicholas Pinnock, Mark Stanley, Rochenda Sandall and Shubham Saraf, with guest stars for the episodes including David Tennant, Hayley Atwell, Youssef Kerkour, and Clare-Hope A****ey.

Fastest Car season 2

The Hockey Girls season 1
The passionate members of a girls' roller hockey team chase down victories in the rink while striving to make time for school, family and romance

The Liquidator
A detective recruits a criminal psychologist to help her track down a serial killer targeting people acquitted of famous crimes.

added today
Advertisement
20-09-2019, 12:49   #10
El Duda

The Blackcoat's Daughter (AKA February) - 6.5/10

An intriguing trailer for a new film 'Gretel & Hansel' was released recently so I thought I'd check out one of Director Oz Perkins previous films. The Blackcoat's Daughter was his debut feature and it shows that he is one to keep an eye on.

The film serves as an antidote to the modern, ‘cattle prod’ horror films that seem to think that jump scares are the only way to engage an audience. This is a very quiet film where the plot slowly unfolds as the story as progresses. I found the first 40 minutes or so a little too slow for my liking and wondered if this film was worth sticking with. I'm glad I did. The second half has some very tense scenes with superb acting, clever misdirection and an even smarter twist.

This is one of those films that stays with you and gives you plenty to think about. It’s great to finally get genuinely creepy films that resonate with, and challenge audiences. Oz Perkin’s is a name that deserves to be among the Ari Aster’s, Jordan Peele’s and Robert Eggers’ of modern horror cinema.
(3) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 17:17   #11
mickmac76

Watched part one of the Bill Gates documentary and it didn't disappoint. The main focus of part one was on the Gates foundation and the work it is doing. Some interesting interviews with Bill Gates his wife and his family.
(2) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 17:20   #12
pixelburp

I wanted to like Disenchantment, but the first half of season 1 stalled more often than it soared. Like a lot of Netflix comedies, the running length was a big problem, episodes dawdling towards 30 minutes when they had no need to.

Still, I liked enough of the characters - except Elfo, who is the worst - to go back, and hopefully those growing pains were just that.
20-09-2019, 18:26   #13
This is it

If anyone else loved the interview scenes from Line of Duty, try Criminal UK. One episode in and I really enjoyed it.
20-09-2019, 18:34   #14
cml387

Since it's a new thread, thanks to all those who recommended Mindhunter.
Another American series on serial killers wouldn't have been top of my viewing list but this was good.
Of the actors you'd have to say that chain smoking Bill Tench,played by Holt McCanally was the star, and he has strong Irish roots as well.
(2) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 20:09   #15
CastorTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteeeed View Post

In the UK, the regular cast includes Katherine Kelly, Lee Ingleby, Nicholas Pinnock, Mark Stanley, Rochenda Sandall and Shubham Saraf, with guest stars for the episodes including David Tennant, Hayley Atwell, Youssef Kerkour, and Clare-Hope A****ey.
Watch your language!

Was curious what her name was and as expected it's Clare-Hope Ash!tey.

Is there any kind of order for watch Criminal or all standalone? Can spoiler any spoilery answers I suppose

And as it is a new thread, thanks again to peteeeed for the regular updates
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion