Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2019, 13:52   #61
Squidgy Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainalert View Post
UCD offer way more scholarships than 10 a year but I doubt they offer 10 Ad Astras
From the UCD Ad Astra Academy site:

There are currently 60 UCD Ad Astra Elite Sports Scholars in a range of sports, including 10 male Rugby players (4 are currently representing Ireland) and 1 female member of the Irish squad
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 14:11   #62
Stainalert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy Black View Post
From the UCD Ad Astra Academy site:

There are currently 60 UCD Ad Astra Elite Sports Scholars in a range of sports, including 10 male Rugby players (4 are currently representing Ireland) and 1 female member of the Irish squad
Sorry I mean't per year - my main point is there are loads of other scholarships UCD offer their rugby players as well
13-06-2019, 10:43   #63
ArmchairQB

Very troubling to hear Leinster Academy pushing players to clubs that they want to and actively encourage to break rule 6. If Sullivan plays for Rock he should be reported. UCD as well as other colleges all over varying degrees of scholarship from Ad Astra down to University fees, 50% of Masters Fee, CAO points, Monthly living allowance. Most 20s and senior team startters are all on some sort of scholarship as they call it but breaking the rules is what other clubs call it.

Academy also now pushing sub academy players to play AIL but they are mostly apart from 6/7 lads not up to it physically yet & by default they are devaluing the 20s League and pushing players that dont make it at AIL out of school out of rugby. Kuke McGrath, Dan Leavy, James Ryan, Max Deegan, Jack Coonan, Joey Carberry, Tadgh Beirne all played 20s with their clubs and it did them no harm. Now 40 or so sub academy lads are being told they must play AIL to be considered even though they will only pick 6/7 of them from pre determined positions. It is very short sighted of the pro game that gets all of its players from the amuteur game and will mean less players playing rugby after 20s than before
(3) thanks from:
14-06-2019, 13:55   #64
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTipp123 View Post
Celtic cup kicks off 24th August and runs til the 12th October - then maybe semi final and final and then cover for the world cup and pro14 games with an InterPro game over xmas. Alot of these lads wont see AIL til 2020

Blocks of 3 games kicking off 5th October with the 9th game on 14th December, game 10 is 11th January then.

Deasy retried, Tom Hayes an O Donovan sacked by Shannon, with geoff moylan and tadgh Bennett in.
Sean skehan DOR in Terenure.

any word on UCD?
Kevin croke announced as new UCD coach with Brett Igoe and Mark McGroarty as assistants. Bobby Byrne still DOR.
14-06-2019, 14:18   #65
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodluck2me View Post
Kevin croke announced as new UCD coach with Brett Igoe and Mark McGroarty as assistants. Bobby Byrne still DOR.
That's a very decent coaching staff to have. All involved in leinster rep squads recently I believe so highly rated enough
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 16:28   #66
shoutman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
That's a very decent coaching staff to have. All involved in leinster rep squads recently I believe so highly rated enough
Great appointment, two guys who I feel would really suit coaching students.
17-06-2019, 15:22   #67
Gatekeeper23

Any truth in Eddie Weaver leaving Belvo to join Lansdowne? Serious coup if true!
17-06-2019, 15:25   #68
Stainalert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper23 View Post
Any truth in Eddie Weaver leaving Belvo to join Lansdowne? Serious coup if true!
Not that I'm aware of.
17-06-2019, 15:27   #69
Callmedeece15

Anyone know what's going on in Navan? Losing Conor Farrell to belvo for big $$, rumours they won't even be able to field a team?
Advertisement
17-06-2019, 15:30   #70
Gatekeeper23

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of.

Heard it from a source within the club itself, wasn't sure if it was true or not. If anyone hears of any updates, do keep us posted!
17-06-2019, 16:09   #71
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairQB View Post
Very troubling to hear Leinster Academy pushing players to clubs that they want to and actively encourage to break rule 6. If Sullivan plays for Rock he should be reported. UCD as well as other colleges all over varying degrees of scholarship from Ad Astra down to University fees, 50% of Masters Fee, CAO points, Monthly living allowance. Most 20s and senior team startters are all on some sort of scholarship as they call it but breaking the rules is what other clubs call it.

Academy also now pushing sub academy players to play AIL but they are mostly apart from 6/7 lads not up to it physically yet & by default they are devaluing the 20s League and pushing players that dont make it at AIL out of school out of rugby. Kuke McGrath, Dan Leavy, James Ryan, Max Deegan, Jack Coonan, Joey Carberry, Tadgh Beirne all played 20s with their clubs and it did them no harm. Now 40 or so sub academy lads are being told they must play AIL to be considered even though they will only pick 6/7 of them from pre determined positions. It is very short sighted of the pro game that gets all of its players from the amuteur game and will mean less players playing rugby after 20s than before
Getting guys to play as high level possible should be the aim and sub academy players should be involved in AIL(be it division 2 or 1) and even should be on loan from a division 2 club not fielding at 20s and play 20s with a division 1 club and AIL with a division 2 club if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmedeece15 View Post
Anyone know what's going on in Navan? Losing Conor Farrell to belvo for big $$, rumours they won't even be able to field a team?
Nonsense about issues with fielding team but bound to have the Dublin city clubs looking at some players considering how well they did last few seasons/
17-06-2019, 16:15   #72
Stainalert

[QUOTE=The Lost Sheep;110458785]Getting guys to play as high level possible should be the aim and sub academy players should be involved in AIL(be it division 2 or 1) and even should be on loan from a division 2 club not fielding at 20s and play 20s with a division 1 club and AIL with a division 2 club if possible.

Disagree strongly re sub academy players. For a lot of them they are much better off playing 20's rather than being pushed too high too fast.
17-06-2019, 16:27   #73
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Disagree strongly re sub academy players. For a lot of them they are much better off playing 20's rather than being pushed too high too fast.
Too much made of getting guys into a few top clubs at 20s and a season or two playing division 2 AIL then moving to division 1 AIL would be far more beneficial than playing 20s or even mix of 20s and AIL division 2 for guys not ready for AIL 1 at 19/20
17-06-2019, 16:28   #74
Callmedeece15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Sheep View Post
Nonsense about issues with fielding team but bound to have the Dublin city clubs looking at some players considering how well they did last few seasons/
Would be a shame to not see them kick on after a couple of great seasons, will struggle losing players of Farrell's calibre and failing to recruit suitable replacements.
17-06-2019, 16:51   #75
Gatekeeper23

[QUOTE=Stainalert;110458830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Sheep View Post

Too high too fast? These men have to step up to the plate, they have to learn. No point saying otherwise

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion